My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Asura released

Post by takenoko »

< Makai Retsuden 12
Wiki

Last episode rating: 4.83 (12 votes)

Alt Title - Arrreee yoooou reaaaady toooo rummblllleeee???

Huh, this was actually pretty nice and totally not what I expected (I thought they were going to actually wrestle).

There's something kind of satisfying about seeing a big man swing a big sword around. Like Guts from Berserk.

Gotta love it when the bad guy kidnaps a naked woman, but gives her some rags to protect her modesty.

Also it's great to see Kaoru and young Raiga. (I like the way she emphasized Raiga at the end, like it was a big reveal)

I guess this doesn't fit into Makai Retsuden, with Kaoru being the narrator instead of Gonza. But I still wish it were called Retsuden at least, just because it'd make it easier to add to the wiki and we'll probably batch them together when we do the batching.

Kid saves adult, using thing adult taught kid earlier.

Got to love ancient Japan. It's like the kids are wandering around in the forest of Eden. How does any of that work. Does Gouki travel from town to town saving people? Is that family going to stay there forever? Because they'll probably want to join a village or something just to meet other people at the very least.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Garo Asura released

Post by DaVinci030 »

Garo actually do the wrestling on the Horror with his wings, right?

I like it when Ren and the other's feelings make Gouki stronger.

And Kaoru, good to see you again~~~

Rated 5 for Kaoru's satisfying story.

XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I wasnt expecting this format for the episode, what we got was really good. Was really surprised.

The design and presentation of the episode was nice, gave it that story book kinda feel with how everything looked. Sure its all on green screen, but that adds to its charm. And it was a nice touch to have Kaoru back to do the story telling in this instance, and using a young Raiga was supposed to be a surprise, but it was obvious once we knew it was Kaoru.

I guess they took cues from Taitei no Ken with its big person and big sword approach. kinda amusing that way, a wholly impractical way of fighting, but one that works.

It was nice to see the retro Garo armor before all the changes made to it over the years. not too sure on the winged approach to the fight, but I guess it works.

Its like these last two episodes have just been set up as a giant tease for a potential return of Kouga and Kaoru to a main series/film.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, were the wings coming out of his head? Pretty strange design choice.

Although I loved the big slam that turned into a sword of light as the finisher.

Also, check out the interview with Kouga and Kaoru that'll probably be simul released with this.

===Commercials===
I'm surprised there aren't more FF/DQ crossovers, Enix. Just mix that all up.

Tanaka Minako from the 1980s commercial is... over 46 years old. I don't look that good at age 35:
http://ameblo.jp/minako-tanaka/entry-12176242098.html
Also my mistake, I think she's 48.

People apparently hate Mito Natsume's lack of bangs

The Merukari commercials always crack me up.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

BIG MAN HIT PUNY HORROR WITH BIG STICK. HORROR FALL DOWN GO BOOM.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Kaoruuuuuu!

When they announced that Garo was doing a special event with Japan Pro Wrestling, I figured it was going to be a wrestling match between two normal wrestlers using Garo names or something with Garo product placement. Instead, there really wasn't anything that I could identify as wrestling in the episode.

When I realized that it was an actual Garo story, I thought maybe we were getting the origin of the Garo sword/armor. Nope. I guess this is the origin of Garo's tendency to sprout wings?

Whatever. Kaoru was back! And she had little Raiga with her, as cheerful as ever. That made me so happy. We're gradually getting closer to having the whole family onscreen together.

I also thought that the artistic backgrounds were a subtle reminder that this is a story being told similar to that of Kaoru's storybooks.

Having Savior in the Dark play over a montage of all our Garos was a great way to cap off the episode. Happy Anniversary, Garo.
hisakuya
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral

Post by hisakuya »

This is quite epic. The "Ace of the Universe" vs The "Unchained Gorilla". Instead of Makabe, they should have chosen Kenny
Omega. For an easy tie in with the wrestling promotion and to poke fun with the anticipated ladder match between two of them who didn't happen due Tanahashi's injuries.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

An easy 5 for me.

Kaoru, young Raiga, Berserk style Garo with storybook backdrop and a super flying wrestling dive that turn into a giant sword smash. Ending credit is pure win.

Please let Saejima family reunite.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Is there an equivalent of Gouki's actor to any of the USA's mainstream pro-wrestlers?

I like the episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

Four different GARO from different timelines in one whole season?! Damn! That's just nuts.

I was disappointed we didn't get to see Kaoru in MAKAI RETSUDEN because I thought she'd totally show up with Kouga in the finale, but then suddenly surprising us in this special made the whole anniversary come full-circle. I was expecting Aguri and Jakuzure from the Yami series to return in an episode since we didn't hear from them in the GOLDSTORM -Shou- series, nor were they ever mentioned at all. It didn't have to be anything fancy; we could've just gotten a further look at Aguri's training and Jakuzure's life with his girlfriend or something simple like that. I really hope those two actors haven't given up on the series forever.

I think it's funny how the entire thing was shot in green screen. Like, nothing in this episode was real when it came to actual background, lol. We get a new winged GARO form which is pretty cool. I remember Ryuga never obtained a winged form until GOLDSTORM -Shou- with the original black armor fusion. I like how all of GARO's winged forms are unique to the title holder. Gouki's winged form has wings coming out of his helmet like ears which is different. I wonder if the finisher he used was his actual finisher he uses in wrestling. I don't watch Japanese wrestling but I think that would've been awesome if it was.

Continuity-wise, let's see. Having young Raiga there means this totally takes place after MAKAI SENKI and possibly during the Hagane no Houkou novel. I haven't read that book yet but I heard it includes Kouga and Kaoru having Raiga. This had to have been before MAKAI NO HANA, meaning before Kouga and Kaoru even got sucked into that ominous portal.

As for Gouki's story, I'm not sure if that was a fictional novel that Kaoru was reading to Raiga about or if it was an actual true event. If Gouki's story was indeed a backstory that happened in the past then it's way before Taiga's time but probably after Leon / Alonfso's time in Honoo no Kokuin, and also after Raikou's time, the Heian Peroid, in Guren no Tsuki. I know they're just separate anime continuity but fuck it; we're just combining everything into one whole universe now. Why not.
SocietyBox
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by SocietyBox »

Victormaru wrote:I wonder if the finisher he used was his actual finisher he uses in wrestling. I don't watch Japanese wrestling but I think that would've been awesome if it was.
Yep. High Fly Flow (frog splash) is his finisher. That pose he did holding up his index finger (a la Kabuto) is his signature pose, btw.

I would have thought a toku/pro wrestling connection would be more likely with Kamen Rider and NJPW given the TV Asahi connection. But all I've seen come about was the Fourze theme used in a video package by NJPW. I was pleasantly surprised by this crossover.
zaku99
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Kyoryuger
Dreamy: Chase
Favorite Band: B4MV
My boom: Puroresu

Post by zaku99 »

SocietyBox wrote: I would have thought a toku/pro wrestling connection would be more likely with Kamen Rider and NJPW given the TV Asahi connection. But all I've seen come about was the Fourze theme used in a video package by NJPW. I was pleasantly surprised by this crossover.
Speaking of Toku/wrestling connections: I ones heard the Jyhushin Liger dub theme (from NJPW world) on an Super Sentai commercial. Also an episode of zyuohger took place in Korakuen hall ;)
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

SocietyBox wrote:Yep. High Fly Flow (frog splash) is his finisher. That pose he did holding up his index finger (a la Kabuto) is his signature pose, btw.
Wow, that's pretty freakin' neat! That's like if John Cena were a Power Ranger fighting against the villain Triple H and Cena does his F-U (or Attitude Adjustment, whatever) in a Red Ranger costume as a finisher, lol.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”