KR Amazons 09 released

A-MA-ZON2
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Amazons Link

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:21 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
78%
☆☆☆☆
17%
☆☆☆
6%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 18
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Amazons 09 released

Post by takenoko »

Previous ep
Wiki
Next ep

Previous episode rating: 3.93 (15 votes)

Sub Title: Cannibal Sailor Moon

As far as moral dilemmas go, this one came off as more thoughtful and ambiguous than the last one. But it's still overly simplistic. I mean, whether you kill someone and eat them as a monster or kill them as a human, does that really matter? You're still killing people at the end of the day. Maybe it'd play out differently if the victims volunteered to be eaten, like in that German guy incident.

Anyway, good to see Sawai Miyuu again. I checked and the director's Tasaki Ryuuta, so it's not a surprise. He often has her guest star on his projects.

Plus Nozomi fighting in a dress.

I didn't notice that the new Amazon is Maehara Jun. I wonder how they're going to explain that? Get bitten by an Amazon and you turn into one?

I'll give this one a 5 to make up for the 1 from last week.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Amazons 09 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Maehara's now like Albert Wesker without the mind/power-trip to backstab anyone. Make it work, Kobayashi, since Wesker's one of the reasons why Resident Evil 5 was popular.

Thanks to this episode, I now have an appropriate power fantasy against classy cannibalism. Also, the MOTW's cannibal restaurateur premise reminds me of Bob's Burgers' very first draft of the pilot episode where the Belchers were initially cannibals.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

The Human-Food restaurant plot in this story made the cannibalism feel too real. Before it was just some monster killing and eating a human whilst in human form. Now we see them in human form cooking their food and eating them like civilised people; no doubt they are friends with Hannibal Lecter.

I'm thinking about why Toei chose to go with Sigma for the newest rider. Alpha and Omega makes sense because they're the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. I thought they'd try a beta or gamma because those letters are at the start. Or if they wanted a cool sounding one that everyone knows, then Epsilon would have been a good choice.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe because the Sigma symbol is the representation of summation? He's the product of the previous two Riders? Maybe?

Edit:
[23:06] <MiniLuna> cannibal sailor moon
[23:07] <takenoko> we should have sub titles for episodes
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

This kinda felt like a Garo episode with the ambiance and the monster in your neighborhood vibe. Tokusatsu monsters can really lend themselves well to horror episodes, makes it extra creepy. I hope they continue with similar episodes cause last week's was really preachy.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Well, as far as I read on facebook Sigma is
Spoiler
an experiment done by injecting amazon cells to a corpse.

Now if you ask me, those guys were worse than the Wild amazons, amazons lose control and eat people even if they did not wanted that, like was shown by Ryu, but this guys did it on purpose.
And about the name, Well i don't know how popular is that in Japan, but here with the Alpha male thing, being Beta would make it sound like he is a weakling.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

My theory is they probably used the restorative properties of Jin's cells to heal the wounds. Which is probably why Sigma is a weird off color of Omega.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

takenoko wrote:Maybe because the Sigma symbol is the representation of summation? He's the product of the previous two Riders? Maybe?
Introducing Amazon Rider V3! But does he have the 26 special abilities..?

Nozomi was so out of her comfort zone, and that Wednesday Addams smile! That alone really notched up the episode for me. On top of that, the moral grey area was nicely dne. Here were eople just trying to live, and they probably couldn't hurt another human. Instead, they put their trust in a butcher and even tried to avoid thinking about their food. I really felt sorry for them.

The thing that makes me wonder, though... they were offered a chance to be detained and not killed. What would have happened if they hadn't run? Something tells me the squad would have kept their word, although their safety wasn't so guaranteed once transferred back to the lab.

Also, I have a feeling Jin's met his match. He got cocky, which ruined his only real advantage.

I'm not looking forward to the next two weeks. This show's been one of the best toku I've seen, and I don't hold much hope for a sequal.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's a good question. The company wants the test subjects for testing and stuff, right? You'd think they'd keep some of them alive for that.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

takenoko wrote:That's a good question. The company wants the test subjects for testing and stuff, right? You'd think they'd keep some of them alive for that.
Haruka's mom has other Amazons in the lab for testing. Her intention is to wipe out the 4000 that escaped, but leave the rest (Jin, Haruka, Mamoru and those still in the lab), alive. Her problem with hiring Jin is that he wants to kill all Amazons, Haruka and the lab's farmed Amazons included. So either way any Amazon trying to live in human society is a target to be killed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Weird, I don't remember Haruka's mom having test subjects still. I figured they were all escapees.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

Does anybody find that Chief Misuzawa has an almost synthetic quality to her voice? Or is it just me?

Edit: Also a fan of how they keep continuity with Nozomi's scar.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've never noticed a synthetic aspect to her voice. Well, unless she's over a radio or something.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

They clearly had a lot of fun writing and filming this episode. A restaurant for cannibals! They set it up perfectly; not too moody or scary, just the right amount of levity to a show where you have guys in rubber suits fighting each other.:D

And a Crab Amazon. That looks like good eating right there. :P

I am a bit confused by the whole "awakening" thing now. How was it the Owner was able to take on his monster form without awakening?

Finally, I haven't been paying attention until now. Was that Miyahara Kanon (Nozomi) doing her own stunts?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The difference almost seems semantic, doesn't it? The show doesn't do a very good job explaining it, but here's my theory.

Awakening means when the armlet changes from blue to red, AKA when they run out of the drug to inhibit their craving for human flesh. Once they're out of drugs, it seems like they can't control themselves anymore and lose all sense of self. Like with Baba Ryouma's character.

Which brings up the point, why not just give everyone a refill on their armlet or give them a second armlet? Yeah, you can't save the ones who are monsters already, but you can prevent people from turning into them.

Return to “Kamen Rider Amazons”