Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Amazons Season 2 and Series Discussion

A-MA-ZON2
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Amazons Link

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ The strong eat
74%
☆☆☆☆ Exterminator
15%
☆☆☆ Players on the chess board
7%
☆☆ The hunted
No votes
☆ The weak get eaten
4%

Total votes: 27
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Amazons Season 2 and Series Discussion

Post by takenoko »

Ratings poll for season 1

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen-Rider-Amazons

First, I'd like to thank Drax for timing both seasons, Lunagel, Yaiba, Zeta Gundam, Darkaura, DaVinci030, the QC team, and everyone else who helped work on this series. As a series with no captions, it can be pretty hard to get the translation right. These guys helped with corrections and rephrases to help make our translations the best we can make them.

I'm particularly grateful to them, because it allowed me to work on such a great project. The writing was top notch this season. Amazing work creating new characters while also smartly expanding on the stories from season 1. Nothing felt tacked on or egregious in a way that ruined something good in season 1 (well, key word "egregious"). I mean, look at the episode titles. Some thought was put into this series. I don't even know if it gets as many views as their Sunday morning counterparts, but it's so refreshing to see Toei put out a quality project, at this current period of time.

Shiramoto Ayana, amazing job as Iyu. Chihiro's actor was alright. Kurosaki was a fun mix of philosophical and cut-throat badass. I liked Fudamori's clueless toadying and bullying of Chihiro.

So if you haven't seen it yet or weren't sure. I'd say it's a must-see toku series. It might not be for everyone, with its graphic violence, but the story behind is solid, Kobayashi-sensei definitely asks some good questions, even if she doesn't always provide good answers for them. 5/5
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Amazons and Series Discussion

Post by takenoko »

I just realized that Die Set Down pronounced in Japanese is Dai Setsudan...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Wow take, late to the party by like half a year XP
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't hear anyone say it till now...
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

thank you for everybody who help me watch this AMAZING MATURE SERIES :D
indeed it's violence might make some people off.
and it's slow pacing drama also make other people off.

But in the end, THE STORY IS THE CHAMPION!!!!
as much as i like Gen Urobouchi Gaim, Kobayashi AMAZONS is AMAZING.
the question she throw to the audience is such a heavy one to answer, and it might gonna tok the viewers to think about their life as well.
5/5 for almost everything
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Excellent series. I think it's best to judge both seasons as one large story, as the end of the 1st season and the start of the 2nd are a little slow, but it picks up and finishes on a high note.

Character writing was top notch. There is no clear good vs evil. Even Jin, who ultimately has the correct philosophy is painted in a murky light. Haruka is someone you dislike for flipflopping in the first season and then is the guy you root for in the the second. Acting is superb, and there isn't really a bad character when all is said and done (Chihiro is a little shit for causing all this trouble for a corpse, but other than that).

The thing I really enjoyed the most about both seasons was that they came when the main rider series were especially/kind of dull. I said this in the release thread for the final episode, but this is a good sign of any other Showa era themed reboots being top notch. Hopefully Amazons was enough of a success to warrant something else being done on the Amazon platform.

Also, Die Set Down>Armour Zone. Unpopular opinion I know, but its mine.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:It might not be for everyone, with its graphic violence
I checked out after episode 5. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but especially this season, I reached my limit.

A toku show doesn't have to be blood & guts to be "adult", and I hope if they do something like this again they tone it down a bit.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM

Post by fenrir »

i do think the gore level have been decreased since the ear/brain episode
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The moment the webseries was announced, I wanted something that Ghost or Ex-Aid couldn't provide: a moving, sad yet satisfying story that was the antithesis of the franchise's current position of being a super-toyetic product.

I got it. Everyone got it. People loved it and hated it.

To this very moment, I have nothing but gratitude for its production staff and cast for making a great show come alive.

While I'm fine with the end, it would be nice for an extra episode to screw over Tachibana.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm

Post by Millsy »

Man, what a disappointment.

I've defended season 2 to the grave against all my other toku-watching friends, who absolutely despised it - truth be told though, they're right. Season 2 was trash compared to season 1.

Chihiro is a fuckwad who was unlikable in every aspect. He was a naive fool and good riddance he's dead. At least, I hope he is. There is no room for a third season - Tachibana should be dead too for that matter.

Almost literally nothing happens in this show until Jin arrives, and it is only then does the plot actually start rolling. Unfortunately, having Jin arrive so late to the party meant everything ended up rushing to wrap up. This entire show wound up being filler until that moment.

Credit where credit is due though, the flashback episode I would say is the best of the entire show, seasons 1 and 2. It was so good. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to bring the show up to the pedestal season 1 is on.

At least Haruka became more likable in this season, I'd say he was my favourite character this time around. Too bad they had to butcher Mamoru and turn him into the equally unlikable fuckwad that they gave us with Chihiro.

Speaking of Haruka, what even was the point of New Omega. Haruka could've remained as Omega and nothing would've changed in the show. Add to the fact that New Omega looks like a disaster and it just baffled me as to what was even the point. Neo himself looked great at least.

Iyu was ok I guess. It was nice that they didn't cheese us and let her live (at least I sure hope to god they didn't).

I wanna say a small part as to why season 2 was so bad would in fact be due to why season 1 was so praised - Ghost was shit. Season 1 was a Kamen Rider show that could be enjoyed in place of Ghost. But now Ex-Aid is here, and Ex-Aid may very well be one of the best Kamen Rider seasons made. Now, this wouldn't effect season 2's quality all that much, but the perspective of season 1 may have been more praised than it truly deserved - I loved season 1, 5 star show, but I can't help but feel that way.

3 stars. Once Jin showed up the show was bumped up from a 2. Huge letdown, nowhere near as good as the first season.
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Amazons Season 2 and Series Discussion

Post by takenoko »

Oh wow, I didn't know anyone felt that way about this season. I really liked the way season 1 stuff trickled back into season 2, and seeing how the two season's casts started to mingle. Mamoru and the old exterminators definitely got the short end of the stick. I definitely felt like season 2 did well in showing the natural extrapolation of where they left off with season 1. As idealistic as Haruka and the exterminators were, it was supremely naive. If you're born a monster, all you need to do is live long enough for you to become one.

Chihiro definitely is annoying, but it's hard to not feel bad for the guy at the end.

The ending definitely feels like we went in a big circle to where we ended season 1. But at least most the Amazons are dead, and Haruka and Jin are still around to clean up whatever's left. No one ends up happy or in a better place at the end of all this, but it would be a betrayal to the realism of the world that was set up if that were to happen.

Virge: I hope you give it another chance at some point. The violence actually goes down during the latter half when the story picks up.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Vorge: The original Amazon series was full of gore, with Amazon ripping off limbs and biting jugulars left and right. So the violence in Amazons is part of the homage it pays. But like Take said, it does tone down quite a bit as it progresses.

For me, s1 was absolutely amazing, and s2 knocked it out of the park. I feel very much like s1 was modeled after the first half of Amazon for Alpha and Omega and the second season represented the second half (the original Amazon character had an inocent side that later matured - Omega - as well as an animalistic armoured mode - Alpha)... yet the opposite was true for Mamoru who went from hero to villain.

Iyu has got to be one of the best characters ever, and her actress deserves every award out there4 for nailing the role so perfectly. How many takes did they have to do for scenes where a normal person would flinch before she was able to not react? I can't praise this show enough just for this one character.

The moral dilemmas, the questions they raise and leave you to answer, the take-no-prisoners writing sty.le... As much as I loved Amazon (especially the second half), I think the shadow outshines the subject in this case.

10/5
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

What I especially love about how this series ended was how symbolic the ending was. Assuming there are no straggling experiment or new type Amazons and that nothing ever comes of Tachibana's New Sigma project, Haruka and Jin are the last Amazons in the world. And neither of them will be able to obtain peace until the other is dead. If Jin kills Haruka, he'll be the last Amazon left at which point he would kill himself and (hopefully) reunite with Nanaha in the afterlife. Conversely, if Haruka kills Jin, then he'll be the last Amazon left and will truly be able to live free without having to worry about anyone hunting him.
I love this, 1. because it reminds me of how Blade ended with Hajime and Kenzaki (no surprise, then, that Blade is one of my top 5 KR series) and 2. because I don't necessarily want either of them to lose. You know a series has done very well when it has you rooting for both sides of the conflict. 5/5, would watch again and would recommend to all of my friends.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Also, does anyone know what the name of the star song is? It played a pretty important part in the season and I'd love to look it up.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Zerato wrote:Also, does anyone know what the name of the star song is? It played a pretty important part in the season and I'd love to look it up.
It's a song created especially for the series. If you're lucky it might end up on the soundtrack.

Return to “Kamen Rider Amazons”