KR Amazons the Movie released

A-MA-ZON2
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Amazons Link

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 am

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
67%
☆☆☆
33%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Amazons the Movie released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki Page

Kind of fun to watch in the moment, but feels like an unnecessary extension of the story. Aside from Jin's death, I'm not really sure what this added to the Amazons story. It feels like Toei wanted to make more money doing a movie after Kobayashi wrapped up her story with season 2.

It kind of ruins a lot of characters. Kurosaki's ending where he leaves his gun behind? Nope, he's back on the field, still doing grunt work. I don't remember Jin having a rule against killing people, but I guess Neo Alpha counts as one? Haruka's ideals? Nope, he has to eat a young girl for the greater good. Well aren't we edgy? It's pretty obviously lacking Kobayashi's humanizing pathos that makes the characters so relatable.

I mean, you know the plot is fluff when the scenario is "What if it's Amazons, but they're being used as deli meat now?" The whole thing is just creepy since it seems like an unintentional allegory about pedophilia. Like when that politician holds Muku's hand? You don't do that with a cow before you eat it.

Misc thoughts:
-Reika's here but doesn't do anything
-Haruka saves the children, but leaves again for no reason? At least bang your half sister or something. Wait, so if Haruka is the Amazon male clone of Mizuki's mom, what does that make him to her?
-Who are you talking to old man? Your dinner???
-Why did the exterminators initially help the escaped Amazons, then join 4C's group in killing them? Oh right, this is written by the guy who did Ex-Aid. Never mind.

Don't get me wrong, the movie had me interested and it's a fun, violent time. Best part is Kurosaki shooting Tachibana in the leg and him chewing the scenery in a different way. But story and canonwise, it's pretty vacuous. I'm just going to pretend the story ended with season 2. Four out of five stars, entertaining but dumb.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KR Amazons the Movie released

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am -Haruka saves the children, but leaves again for no reason? At least bang your half sister or something. Wait, so if Haruka is the Amazon male clone of Mizuki's mom, what does that make him to her?
Isn't it obvious? Daddy. :shock: :twisted:
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

What the fuck have you done, Yuya Takahashi.

The movie’s writing is mediocre. You’ve made changes to some characters that had me hit the wall. Kurosaki gave up the hunt but you’ve brought him back for 15 minutes of fame. Reika’s nothing more than a cheerleader for her son. The mercs gave up on saving other the Amazons they’ve met after giving them Speech checks to keep them docile?! The fuck, man.

The only parts I like from your writing was creating the end results of Alpha and Omega’s lives as deconstructed protectors of their species. They were bound to fuck up and they’ll have to pay the price. I also liked creating a foil between Reika and Mizuki, in that they can be caretakers for artificial creatures and see parenthood as an extension of one’s ego VS genuine love for others.

After all that, it’s a mess.

While I do not like the idea of Long Pig Amazons, it unfortunately works with the central theme of the entire series: the law of the jungle/eat or be eaten. The humans, if provoked because their place atop the food chain is threatened, will bite back and devour the threat.

Mizuki, come on, get some crutches.

Positives? The action is awesome. Neo-Alpha reminds me of Doomguy whenever he uses the chainsaw and minigun.

The ending to this series is decent at best, while most of it can be forgotten or brutally criticized by the likes of horror movie reviewers like Phelous. Takahashi’s story falls flat but I enjoyed the action and bits of chuckle from Kazuya.

Regardless of this movie or Kodansha’s eventual shutdown of the Amazons: Hotarubi Gaiden manga, Kamen Rider Amazons is one of the reasons why I watch this franchise seriously. A tragic yet enlightening story about creatures surviving in a dog-eat-dog world with the consequences of doing so has moved me more than averting a Kamen Rider Judgment Day or Cops VS Robbers.

See you in Dororo 2019, Yasuko Kobayashi.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

She's working on Dororo? Interesting. It's a pity that the live action movie series never continued...

Anyway, I'm going to pretend that Final Judgement is Yuya's fanfic. Kobayashi wrapped up the TV series perfectly with season 2 and that's what I'll consider to be the true ending.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 am She's working on Dororo? Interesting. It's a pity that the live action movie series never continued...
She'll hit the home run on this one. The Tezuka manga seems to have similar narratives to some of Kobayashi's toku series such as humans being bastards, annoying sidekicks, what it means to live regardless of what manner of creature they are, how much greed can one have to rule something.

Of all the things she's writing for, may it be JoJo Part 5 or Kakegurui XX/S02, Dororo 2019 is where I expect her to be at her very best.

Back on topic: Why is Tamashii re-releasing Figuarts Alpha/Omega with fake blood paint?
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

YAY!!! THANKS ALOT FOR PUTTING THIS OUT!!! Time to see how this series ends once and for all :3
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Welp, I just watched it and HOLY CRAP I think that's one hell of a good time. I love that they left the series open ended like that with a bit of hope for Haruka and the remaining Amazons. Not only did they get a "happy ending" to some extent, but Jin also got one as well by being reunited with Nanaha, so in the end, everything worked out.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am At least bang your half sister or something.
That will only create more amazons... he can't do that...

This movie was made just as a quick cash grab... unnecessary. Jin is finally dead but the amazons remains. Nothing changed and we just got 1 less character...

I will pretend that this movie never existed and keep the season 2 ending... but I just can't do that now that I saw Jin's death
Final Vent!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Wasn't really feeling this to be honest. The cult/farm thing was a bit dull considering Amazons had some interesting plot points before. The characterisation was off. Haruka went from his badass S2 self to his wishy washy self from S1 and so did a lot of the other characters.

Jin, as always, is the best part of the movie. Him manhandling Neo Alpha was amazing. He did have a rule against killing humans (S1 episode), but I was under the impression that you needed Amazon cells to transform into an Amazon so Neo Alpha would've been an Amazon himself. The final fight between Jin and Haruka was lame (where did Haruka get his original belt?), but given that Jin wanted Haruka to kill him to stop more Amazons being produced it felt like he threw the fight.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Here's a question, did anything from season 2 make it into this movie? They don't mention Jin's son. I guess Nanaha is still dead and Haruka is his more advanced version.

They threw out Kurosaki's character arc. Nagase doesn't show up.

Let's not forget the ending to season 2's final stinger. Tachibana has a new Sigma plan to completely wipe out all the Amazons. Nope, we've pivoted into making Amazon burgers.

You can even see the document file for the Amazon livestock thing is called the Sigma project. There's no Sigma Amazons in this movie. Midou is Neo Alpha. I'm guessing the prop guy made the Sigma document before the story was even written.
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

720p version when?
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

PkmnChmp5 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:30 pm720p version when?
When it's ready. Be patient.

wyrmis
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by wyrmis »

I actually lean to the side of really liking it...mostly. A few parts struck me as odd or unnecessary - didn't Haruka's belt get destroyed, how was dude human, was he human wearing some sort of bio-armor made up of Amazon-cells and if so then why wasn't that a much bigger deal, why keep Jin's stuff *right* there, why was the movie selective/inconsistent about which Amazons melted away (does that only happen in their non-human form)? However, those complaints aside, I though there was some solid elements that pulled off, sometimes subtly, interesting things.

My personal take on Jin's actions towards the end was he was very poorly handling the events of the second season's aftermath. His wife is dead, and he is doubly/triply to blame - his research, his mutation, his obsession - and he killed his own son. Stopping now is admitting he could have stopped earlier. His line along the lines of, "They are all my children, I have to do this," is both just a Jin-ism but the teary look in his eyes followed by him doing very little besides allowing the kids to run until Haruka shows up (and then telling Haruka to kill him) suggest me he was done with it. Maybe.

The two guys most responsible for the Amazon-as-cattle program were men who had been held back or made to feel inferior. One by Jin and the other by Mizusawa (and by barely surviving an Amazon attack in the previous season). Both handle this by raising children specifically to be killed, telling themselves it is a) some holy act and b) the natural order of things to eat a inferior species. I like the delusion, the commentary on what is basically the central tenet of the beginning of the series: that killing Amazons is good and that Amazons are sub-human and so it doesn't matter how much they suffer, etc. The sheer terribleness of brainwashing children to consider themselves cattle, with the plays off of sexual trafficking, is definitely creepy, but makes a sort of thematic cycle: Amazons kill humans, humans turn into Amazons, humans eat Amazons.

And the ending feels like a fair set up for a more "traditional" Kamen Rider series. The V2 character is driving off, troubled by his past.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Mizuki is useful character in season 2. She had strong will, made some action with gun. But in this movie, she is useless again since season 1. I don't know the continuity of this movie, look like they ignore main event of season 2, especially Chihiro and Iyu.
Evangeline
Adventure
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Dreamy: Shijima Go
Favorite Actor?: Rika Adachi
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Figure Collection
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Evangeline »

takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am -Haruka saves the children, but leaves again for no reason? At least bang your half sister or something.
yep yep, at least "blow your load and hit the road"
takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am Wait, so if Haruka is the Amazon male clone of Mizuki's mom, what does that make him to her?
mizuki already prepared to submit to daddy haruka, but Daddy haruka is on No Nut November

anyway, I enjoyed watch this movie, i love amount of blood that splash out for every amazon kill, lol

Return to “Kamen Rider Amazons”