Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid?

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you like KR Ex-Aid?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ Game Clear
42%
☆☆☆☆ Level Up
37%
☆☆☆ Run and Jump
5%
☆☆ Grind
10%
☆ Game Over
7%

Total votes: 84
Decaboyz
It's not even funny
It's not even funny

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid?

Post by Decaboyz »

This series was an awesome ride. Almost every episodes move the plot forward even a bit. That's a nice change compared to Ghost's lack of direction last year.

I really like the unique names of each gashats. It remind me to Drive's shiftcars a lot. The jingles are kinda nice too. (Thanks a lot Hironobu Kageyama!)

The opening is definitely the best thing! The return of insert songs are highly appreciated after their absence from Ghost last year. Now my Rider MP3s got more content than ever.

Overall Ex-Aid is an unforgettable experience for me due to all nice characters, story, medical terminology, soundtracks and other nice ingredients. Definitely 5/5!

THE GAME IS FOREVER. SEE YOU NEXT V-CINEMA(S)!
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

After watching 45, I'll give it 4/5. Indeed it did have a slow start, but it quickly picked up and I enjoyed that. The opening is great. The characters are somewhat likable (KIRIYA WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST). And the Bugsters were all interesting. And the ending. I wasn't expecting a flashback towards the first episode.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. Now we just wait for the V-CINEMA(S) and True Ending to be released and subbed.
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Alignment: Neutral
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by Millsy »

I refuse to believe this show was anything less than glory.

Maybe having both the trashbags of Ghost and Amazons Season 2 gives me a huge bias, but I cannot not give this series a 5.

I honestly wanna say this is one of the best seasons of KR we've ever had. Nothing I believe will ever have topped Gaim, but this was such a fun ride, and has now become my absolute favourite season.

The suits were initially extremely jarring, but I grew to love all of them by the end. Perfect Knock Out and Meme Zombie are among some of my favourite suits ever now.

I felt engaged in the story from start to finish. Having smaller(?) stakes this season sorta qorked out for the overarcing medical drama this was trying to be. The characters were all fun and memorable. Kiriya is one of my favourite characters ever - they def shoved him back in due to fan popularity, but idgaf bike boi best boi

also KAMI DA, such a joy to watch.

The villains even all had their moments. Graphite's end was sorta rushed, but I grew to like him even if his ideals were skewed. Parado was also a character that grew to be one of my favourites, and having him turn to the good side made him love me more - I really love when the bad guy ends up changing teams.

Daddy Dan as a final boss was great, and the faces he made rivaled meme god himself a lot of times.

The songs in this season also have become some of my favourites. Excite was an amazing theme, probably took over Surprise Drive as my favourite KR theme. Wish in the Dark and Real Game were amazing as well, and Time of Victory is some of KRG's best work (though honestly they've produced a fuckton of trash).

A glorious game, the first season since OOO (at least initially, this also happened with my rewatch of Gaim) where I feel like I did not want this season to end.

Neo-Heisei has been rockin' it, only Wizard and Ghost (and sorta Ama2ons) were huge missteps. Here's hoping Build keeps this trend for this next year.
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Now that the series is over I say this series is still 4 out of 5 worthy

Some characters get good development, fights were good, designs are neat but I think it's high time we go back to the series roots now

Now death is a slap on the wrist which I say I still don't like it in KR thanks to Ghost, perhaps one time I'm ok with it but since everyone have emergency backup plans, some plot points that make me confuse hold it back from greatness.

Ex-Aid is great but it's not Gaim fantastic in my eyes, hopefully Build does something good
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I've thought about this a lot. It's probably my most internally divisive series.

It's average at best. Ex-Aid has some really good moments, but this is counterbalanced by some really weak moments due to shit writing.

I think we have to accept the first arc of Rider is forever fucked in order to push the toys before Christmas. They really needed to space out the Level 3 upgrades a little more to reduce the congestion of the 1st arc. Also the fact that the Level 1 gimmick fell into disuse was unsurprising, but just shows that there was no point to even really designing it in the first place.

Emu is kind of a bland main character. He doesn't really undergo any significant development in his character arc. Hiro and Taiga are poor secondary riders. They don't really contribute all that much and are uninteresting as characters. Braves little run working for Cronut was dumb and Taigas backstory and the reason him being pissed being relegated to the Blu Rays doesn't help. Kiriya was way more interesting, a shame he was gone for most of the season. Dan was really good. I think the series peaked around the Dangerous Zombie level X arc and when he came back as level 0. He kind of gets reduced to a meme but still enjoyable to watch. If you get rid of Brave and Snipe and make Lazer secondary, I think the quality of the show is vastly improved.

As for the villains, most of the Bugsters are kind of average characters as well. I never got that same sense of attachment and sympathy that we got for say the Roidmudes. Dad Dan was cool, but they dragged him on too long and kept finding hamfisted ways to keep him around when he should have died when they introduced Muteki.

There are some other major flaws as well. A lot of the time towards the end of the season, the fight choreography was downright abysmal. They had some really good insert songs that they played only once or twice. The fact that they had Hiroyuki Takami have such great songs like Justice and Wish in the Dark and not use them is a travesty.

It might just be me, because lots of people here and other places really seem to like it. It just comes off as a very middling series compared to many other Heisei series. I get Gaim light vibes from it, and I think that's the issue because Gaim did everything Ex-Aid did, but better. The fact that it came directly after Ghost probably makes it come off better than it actually is.

2/5. I will physically fight anyone that tries to argue it's any better than this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

High five, Catastrophe, lol.

But yeah, the music is important too. One of the thing that drove me bug nuts this season is that instead of having good acting or writing to set up a dramatic scene, characters would act out in completely illogical ways just to create "drama". Then they'd play the stupid "Hey! This is a dramatic moment" music to compensate for the lack of any real drama. It always felt unearned and disingenuous.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That was probably my longest post in my TVNH history haha.

So one of the things that is a big let down for me is that the highs were really high and shows how good it could have been.

An example is the Burgermon episode. You have 2/3rds of the episode which is just some real goofy throw away episode to sell crossover toys. Then in the last act, Dan and Parado show up, who at this point absolutely overpower both riders. Wish in the dark starts playing, you have this really cool fight scene and then GENM murders Burgermon. It's really cool and super tense. I never got this feeling again at any other point, especially towards the end.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, Ex-Aid really was best when the stakes were high. It's probably why none of the patient stuff mattered because they were never in any real danger. Seriously, we spent 99% of the series saving people from stress? And since this is a kid's cartoon now, we always knew the doctors would come through to save them at the end of the day.

That's why when Lazer died, that really jump started Ex-Aid's pivot into being a good show. Parado and Kuroto were good villains. It brought out the better aspects out of the heroes who were weak and fought amongst themselves for petty, nonsensical reasons.

Chronus was a good villain too, but he didn't fight good heroes. Instead, he encouraged the ridiculous in-fighting for the rest of the show. It was frustrating to watch and never felt like anything had stakes. Hiiro's betrayal might have been a good twist in a better series, but not with this writing and acting. And the Saki death felt perfunctory. Saki was such a McGuffin that she was never really a character. Saki's "resurrected" form was no better than Hiiro's memory anyway. It didn't feel like you were mourning anything when that thing got erased.

It just felt like the writing got in the way of the emotional points it was trying to hit.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Catastrophe wrote:2/5. I will physically fight anyone that tries to argue it's any better than this.
Well you got at least 62 people to fight against.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I relish the challenge.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Cutting down 62 or more enemies, Jigoku no Forums, Catastrophe!
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project

Post by Des_Shinta »

So, series final score time.
A Solid 4 from me. Glad we got this after what happened to Ghost, and that this being bad wouldn't have made me sit through Amazons.

The pacing of the first 12 episodes, the poor development of Saki's Death despite how much it tied as a central link to a lot of story points for both Kagami and taiga (thus their arcs being less justified, though at least Snipe's Specials have helped to fix that), the poor utilization of almost ALL of the Bugsters as antagonists, many elements of the show--while played off well after their introductions--are not appropriately explained more than in handwaved gestures of dialogue (and that includes the moments where characters acted like jerks because they didn't explain themselves as Takenoko pointed out, was Yuya takahashi trying to ape Kobayashi and Inoue with that crap? Because that is more their deal and I thought the franchise had moved passed that), and how long the Chronos arc Dragged on I think are the faults of it; most especially because of the first point I'm not surprised people earlier in this thread announced they dropped it because those could be pretty frustrating.
And A lot of the suit design takes a long time to grow on you outside of Dangerous zombie, Perfect Knockout, and Taddle Fantasy/Legacy which were just glorious.
Also: Nico. Did not like her at all. Necessary for the Arc they put Taiga on, but I found she acted insufferable for too much of her appearances, and it took far too long for the series to show she had any relevance being part of the show...though even then, only ultimately as an accessory To Taiga and not for her own sake.

But we had a lot of characters that had their persona and development strongly shine in the moments they were given, we ultimately avoided the Curse of Yuriko Misaki while fixing the LAST awful female Kamen Rider death and simultaneously giving that sect of the riders the long-overdue honor of committing a heroic sacrifice to save others instead of the wasted squandered lives they'd been left to before this. SHIN DAN KUROTO SHIN was an amazingly endearing antagonist with how Tetsuya Iwanaga would put so much emoting into him. The gaming references, while all over the show, are not irritatingly overt, and they used the digital gaming virus trapping people in digitized form storytelling engine well, especially since that has been one that has been done a lot in recent years after it's resurge in popularity.
It Certainly used all of that better than SAO has at any rate, though not to the standards of something like .Hack did with such. I feel Ex-aid ended up on the Tier of the Rockman.exe Anime, which is a Good thing as I Really like that Anime.

And while the finale episode wasn't the best, I'm hoping true ending and the V-cinema's can shore that up so I can keep recommending the series as I have.

Top 5 for franchise? Not for me, but I'd ultimately rate it a good show.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

Overall, I can say I loved this more than a lot of people here.

I can say it is tied with Gaim for me. I never had an episode I hated or despised.

Come at me, Catastrophe.
NOMarfo
KRMonkey
Go Go!
Quote: ...dynamic chop!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by KRMonkey »

Easily one of my favorite Rider series, maybe a 5. The final episode was a little weaker than it should've been, but not to the degree that it significantly undercut the good stuff that had come before. I was bugged by the "surprise" resurrections in the final episode, but they at least prevent those characters' appearances in spin-offs from requiring tortured plot logic.

I also appreciated that this show doesn't have a completely happy ending. Emu says he believes that the disappeared players can be retrieved - even Saki (did he know her data was deleted?) - but they don't actually *get* retrieved; it's left an open question. The villains and heroes weren't dull - maybe Emu to some extent once we learned the secret of his split personalities - and the plot usually had a momentum that's largely been lacking from some recent Rider series.

Also, I really have to give the show additional credit for sheer *difficulty," is it was loaded down with awkward designs and gimmicks, and the sheer number of toys they had to introduce early on was staggering. This show convinced me to like it despite that Ex-Aid is my least-favorite Heisei Rider design. It would've been very easy for the writers to take the show in a goofy direction, and I think they chose well to play it largely straight.

I never would've guessed that this show would land in my top tier of Heisei Rider shows. Now, I'm anxiously hoping that Build will be similarly strong.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

nanamarfo wrote:Overall, I can say I loved this more than a lot of people here.

I can say it is tied with Gaim for me. I never had an episode I hated or despised.

Come at me, Catastrophe.
Your funeral :)

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”