Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid?

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you like KR Ex-Aid?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ Game Clear
42%
☆☆☆☆ Level Up
37%
☆☆☆ Run and Jump
5%
☆☆ Grind
10%
☆ Game Over
7%

Total votes: 84
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid?

Post by fenrir »

catastrophe, somehow i'm quite confused about challange you or not for it.
i personally give it a 4(3,8 actually, as i mentioned above Take in the previous page) but to some extent i'm quite agree with your point & take point as well regarding Ex-Aid.

somehow i do think the sequence of the series is important as well. i mean, mostly people in here watch Ex-Aid after the AWFUL season of Ghost & for some after AMAZONZ season 2 (either you like it or you hate it,for me AMAZONS as full (s1+s2) = IT'S THE BEST STORY EVEN BEAT GAIM SURPRISINGLY, but i'm quite surprised many in here dislike it as well).

because Ghost is very very weak, Ex-Aid easily can be considered a much better series & people can give 3/4/5 for it.
but i guess for people like Take who skip Ghost, Ex-Aid perhaps not really win in competition against Drive. in my opinion it's quite a draw match between these 2series, but drive perhaps gonna winning it in terms of Tomari acting, character & development of his&kiriko love story. i guess i vote 4 as well for drive, not really remember.

as for the Death "card" in KR series = which damnly ruined by Takeru/Ghost. it's becoming less & less powerful if series come to what Ghost&Ex-AId did again in future. people will not get emotion coz they know the character will revive again in the future.
Phillip, Ankh?, Gentarou, damn Takeru, & many people in here ==> we got it to much alread in these neo-heisei series.

i do think only Gaim that really2 makes dead= dead until the end. But that is what Gen Urobuchi like anyway. so ya that one is diffrent. as for AMAZONZ, well it's a diffrent show for a diffrent target audince, so ya perhaps kinda irrelevant as well.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's each to their own though. Plenty of people like shows most hate and vice versa.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Case in point, I appear to be the only human on the planet who loves Ghost. :3c
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

VerusMaya II wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm Case in point, I appear to be the only human on the planet who loves Ghost. :3c
Can I please ask: Why?
NOMarfo
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

fenrir wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am
as for the Death "card" in KR series = which damnly ruined by Takeru/Ghost. it's becoming less & less powerful if series come to what Ghost&Ex-AId did again in future. people will not get emotion coz they know the character will revive again in the future.
Phillip, Ankh?, Gentarou, damn Takeru, & many people in here ==> we got it to much alread in these neo-heisei series.

i do think only Gaim that really2 makes dead= dead until the end. But that is what Gen Urobuchi like anyway. so ya that one is diffrent. as for AMAZONZ, well it's a diffrent show for a diffrent target audince, so ya perhaps kinda irrelevant as well.
The moment is always enough for me. I don't need to see the character perma-dead.
NOMarfo
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

nanamarfo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm
VerusMaya II wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm Case in point, I appear to be the only human on the planet who loves Ghost. :3c
I'll be the first to admit it's not perfect, but I still love it anyway. I was intrigued by the world they set up, and even though I didn't get as much lore on the Ganma World as I wanted, I still found the bits and pieces we did get very interesting.

I loved Takeru - he was gentle and not afraid to cry and show his emotions openly, but still strong-willed and courageous. The constant "deaths" never bothered me, because the focus isn't on the fact that they're not actually dead. The focus is on the growth they receive in that process of death/rebirth.
The side-characters were great as well. Akari was so strong. She was never downplayed because she was a woman, in fact her inventions were often the crux of being able to get anything done! Her opinions were listened to, she was always present in important discussions, she never had to be rescued, etc.! Heck, even the humor that everyone seems to be so dismissive of worked for me. I liked Onari a lot, and even he had depth when we got a glimpse into his insecurities. For characters like Kanon, while underused and a bit lacking in things to do, she was always going to be a bit character imo. With limited amount of time available, not every character can be fully fleshed out if they're not critical in some way. That's okay, it doesn't have to reflect poorly on the whole show.

The suits were nice to look at, and there were only a few combinations I disliked (Toucon Goemon ow my eyes). Sure the pacing of the power-ups was atrocious, but that's not really Ghost's fault so much as it is the director/Toei - not to mention other KRs suffer similar fates.

I dunno, I just really love Ghost... it worked well for me. I like the gentle message of love and hope, chosen family, and rebuilding for a better future. The Specter movie was a good followup in that regard. I got to see Igor and Akari working together!! <3
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

VerusMaya II wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:56 pm
nanamarfo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

I'll be the first to admit it's not perfect, but I still love it anyway. I was intrigued by the world they set up, and even though I didn't get as much lore on the Ganma World as I wanted, I still found the bits and pieces we did get very interesting.

I loved Takeru - he was gentle and not afraid to cry and show his emotions openly, but still strong-willed and courageous. The constant "deaths" never bothered me, because the focus isn't on the fact that they're not actually dead. The focus is on the growth they receive in that process of death/rebirth.
The side-characters were great as well. Akari was so strong. She was never downplayed because she was a woman, in fact her inventions were often the crux of being able to get anything done! Her opinions were listened to, she was always present in important discussions, she never had to be rescued, etc.! Heck, even the humor that everyone seems to be so dismissive of worked for me. I liked Onari a lot, and even he had depth when we got a glimpse into his insecurities. For characters like Kanon, while underused and a bit lacking in things to do, she was always going to be a bit character imo. With limited amount of time available, not every character can be fully fleshed out if they're not critical in some way. That's okay, it doesn't have to reflect poorly on the whole show.

The suits were nice to look at, and there were only a few combinations I disliked (Toucon Goemon ow my eyes). Sure the pacing of the power-ups was atrocious, but that's not really Ghost's fault so much as it is the director/Toei - not to mention other KRs suffer similar fates.

I dunno, I just really love Ghost... it worked well for me. I like the gentle message of love and hope, chosen family, and rebuilding for a better future. The Specter movie was a good followup in that regard. I got to see Igor and Akari working together!! <3
I just feel like after a point, nothing happened, making the show fall flat on its face.
NOMarfo
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

You think so...? I was hooked almost every episode. It is a common complaint I hear, though, that the plot stagnated. I guess it depends what people want out of their stories. I do wish they didn't backload the storming of the Ganma World, but that's also a fate many KRs suffer from...
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

According to forum 2ch, the rating of Kamen Rider Ex -Aid from ep 1 to ep 40:

Source: https://itest.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/sfx/1504021402/

So it's not really good rating in Japan, with total 3.98% for 40 episodes. Now I know why its story from episode 30 too boring, more comedy and so bright, to attract audiences (especially kids).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

No ratings past 40?

Thanks for the stats.

For me, the show was definitely at its best from episodes 12-32. It looks like the actual viewership was the opposite, where it was higher at the beginning and past 32. No idea why.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Apparently the toys sold really well though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Which toys? The ugly belt and oversized stethoscope?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

The stethoscope was p-Bandai I believe.

But yes, the ugly belt and the bazillion gashats apparently sold very well. I'm just repeating what I've read and have no actual evidence to back this up though.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

This was a pretty interesting series. I have to admit I really hated it at first, but it vastly improved--and, for something about video games, got surprisingly in-depth--as the show went on.

The story/arcs:
Spoiler
The first arc, in my opinion, was rather hard to watch. It seemed like none of the characters were likeable (except sometimes Kiriya, and even he sometimes seemed self-centered). It'd be lucky for a single episode to go by without a new suit debut, and the L1 suits didn't seem to have any real reason to them beyond selling toys. With that said, it did have a high point with Kiriya's death.

The Dual Gasshat episodes were pretty reasonable. Dan turning more and more remorselessly evil would pay off later, but it seemed to make him less interesting for me at the time; with that said, Parado was pretty good as a villain. It was okay, but not quite great.

To me, the Maximum Mighty X era was when the show hit full steam; Chronos' appearance, Parado becoming part human, and anything involving Dan Kuruto were all fantastic, and the suits in general began looking a lot better than the first arc's. That said, Kamen Rider Chronicle felt a little disappointing, and each player trying to save someone they knew got somewhat old for me.

I also really liked the Invincible Gamer arc, but KR Poppy, Nico, and Chronicle in general seemed to all but disappear. Oddly enough, my favorite/least favorite riders flipped during this arc.
The characters:
Spoiler
I liked Emu (in his usual personality) a bit better than I did Takeru; he was a clearly nice and caring person, but it didn't feel forced (his more formal and polite Japanese seriously helped with this, and made him seem respectable in the world of tokusatsu that normally uses "ore"). With that said, he sometimes seemed a bit bland, especially near the beginning and in his alternate personality.

Hiiro and Taiga started off really badly, but I really liked both of their arcs. Hiiro eventually got to reach his original potential as a stoic figure with a sense of righteousness, while Taiga had both a lot of character development and explanations that gradually revealed that the Ministry was less than fair to him. Poppy was great as a Rider, but criminally underused (especially toward the end), and I feel like Nico was never made into a character in her own right (she didn't even have an original Rider suit). Having some characters strengthen others (like how she strengthened Taiga's character) certainly isn't a bad thing, but I wish she were treated more like a genuine rider--or even like a character. Kiriya was pretty good at the start, but he felt kind of okay later on once the other characters had strengthened.

I felt like Dan was pretty bland as a villain, but I think it payed off after he became a hero; it was really delightful to watch his absolute egotism once he was working against Masamune. Parado was an intriguing villain, and while I don't think the philosophical questions concerning his character went as far as they could have, he nonetheless represented an ultimately confused character whose personality or character didn't diminish (as I feel had been the case with a previous villain) once he realized what was right. Masamune himself seemed pretty decent, but perhaps he could have used some more motivation.
Other philosophical notes:
Spoiler
I liked the questions the characters asked about the nature and destiny of Bugstars; with that said, though, they didn't seem to touch on the subject as much as they could have. It seemed like the writers had wanted to have a very complex discussion about artificial life and the ultimate good and purpose of beings, but were held back by either the age range they were going for or simply less skilled writing. There's a bit of discussion about whether the meaning of the Bugstars' life are to fight humans or something greater, but I feel it never reached the potential it had.

I also felt that the show was a bit too lenient toward its main protagonists, with two scenes in particular. One was Emu nearly killing Parado; the sequence seemed out of character for both Emu and Parado, but it and Parado's subsequent realization about mortality were quite interesting nonetheless. In the other scene, Kiriya killed Dan over fifty times, pretending at first that it was for revenge or a grudge, then trapped him and dropped him off as though he were a tool or object rather than a (however insane) human/Bugster. I don't actually object to a show pushing its heroes toward the evil they try to fight; the problem is, the show never questioned their actions. Once it was revealed that their actions were done for a good reason, the show dropped what the heroes did and dismiss it without even bringing it into question. There were no apologies, no further drops into corruption, and in Kiriya's case, not the slightest sign of regret. It's true that neither hero completely killed the other, but sometimes, "no one died" isn't quite enough.
Overall, this was a pretty good installment. Not fantastic, per se, but certainly good. The first arc was basically Suit of the Week (and many of those suits didn't look very good at all), but it seriously improved from there. I'll give it four stars.

Favorite episodes: 19 (Taddle Fantasy's intro/Hiiro character development), 23 (MMX' intro), 32 (Chronos' intro)
Favorite suits: Dangerous Zombie (followed by Perfect Knockout).
Final notes: "I'll clear this with one continue!"
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You had to use one continue? Pfft, noob.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”