KR Ex-Aid 14 released

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:03 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
78%
☆☆☆☆
13%
☆☆☆
4%
☆☆
4%
No votes

Total votes: 23
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Ex-Aid 14 released

Post by takenoko »

<Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Super Mario Brothers

Last week's poll rating: 4.45 / 5 (29 votes)

Huh, so the cancer isn't terminal? If Hiiro can just do an operation to save the guy, why didn't he just say so. What? He doesn't know who Hiiro is? That seems really confusing considering Emu's explanation and the flashback where he looks at Hiiro.

This is totally Mario.

It's interesting that they note M uses Ore and Emu uses Boku. I feel like that was something they should have pointed out at episode 2. Kind of silly that their intro battle was lost because they fought with each other.

Also, props to Xiiliea for dealing with the medical terminology for the operation.

Weird direction choice to show Snipe walk over Emu, cut to after Emu wakes up,then flash back to Snipe wiping the blood off.

Still a pretty good two-part arc. I still get the feeling that Toei gives no fucks about the doctor part of the story, but this was a step towards making the show a little less eye rolly. Honestly, kind of wish the patient died. I still don't feel like there are any stakes when it comes to being a doctor in this world, and a patient death would cement that the hospital aspect plays an actual significance to the story. Gave this ep a 4. Last episode was impressive and having a dying patient meant something. Saving the man from impossible odds just puts us back a bit into this being a fantasy.
8lackz
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Quote: Make your Own Hissatsu

"DENSHA-GIRI!"

Re: KR Ex-Aid 14 released

Post by 8lackz »

The decision to translate said Im Gamer M and Im Emu... Feels like you give me a spoiler about two different personalities.

i mean if it both are writen normal Emu, it might give a big "woaah" as learning and awesome moment later.
making the viewer learn with Taiga Deduction.

The Mistery Deepen.
and lastly,
That Paradox design feel bland for me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Spoiler?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Okay, I had a real issue with the cancer this episode. Doctors are NOT ALLOWED to force treatment on a patient (body rights bitch, look it up), which Emu should've learned like the first month of school. The doctor said he was in the late stages of cancer which according to WebMD means that it has at least spread to nearby blood vessels and nerves. "When complete surgical removal of the cancer is possible, Stage III pancreatic cancer is best managed by surgery. The most common surgical procedure is a pancreaticoduodenectomy, or Whipple procedure, which involves removal of a portion of the pancreas, small intestine (duodenum), stomach and the entire gallbladder." This is clearly the procedure we saw in the episode, so I'm assuming he has Stage III cancer. (kudos to their research team, who are clearly pulling their weight even if the writers aren't)

"While up to 20% of patients survive without evidence of cancer five years after surgery, the majority of patients with Stage III pancreatic cancer will develop recurrence of their cancer after surgery. The majority of patients with Stage III disease have micrometastases that cannot be detected with currently available tests and cannot be removed with surgery. The presence of micrometastases causes the relapses that follow treatment with surgery alone." Source

Even with surgery, it's likely the cancer will come back. The treatment to prevent relapses is shaky at best, with response rates from 15-58 percent but overall survival about 6-12 months. There is a vaccine that has pretty good treatment rates but it's still not 100%. Knowing how much time, effort, pain and money that's gonna cost and it's still unlikely he'll make a full recovery, I don't blame the guy for not wanting the surgery.

Thank you Hiiro, for actually, y'know, being a good doctor and not forcing your patients.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

8lackz wrote:The decision to translate said Im Gamer M and Im Emu... Feels like you give me a spoiler about two different personalities.

i mean if it both are writen normal Emu, it might give a big "woaah" as learning and awesome moment later.
making the viewer learn with Taiga Deduction.
That's just what the captions wrote them as.
Lunagel wrote:Okay
But Hiiro is a genius surgeon!
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Lunagel wrote:Okay, I had a real issue with the cancer this episode. Doctors are NOT ALLOWED to force treatment on a patient (body rights bitch, look it up), which Emu should've learned like the first month of school. The doctor said he was in the late stages of cancer which according to WebMD means that it has at least spread to nearby blood vessels and nerves. "When complete surgical removal of the cancer is possible, Stage III pancreatic cancer is best managed by surgery. The most common surgical procedure is a pancreaticoduodenectomy, or Whipple procedure, which involves removal of a portion of the pancreas, small intestine (duodenum), stomach and the entire gallbladder." This is clearly the procedure we saw in the episode, so I'm assuming he has Stage III cancer. (kudos to their research team, who are clearly pulling their weight even if the writers aren't)

"While up to 20% of patients survive without evidence of cancer five years after surgery, the majority of patients with Stage III pancreatic cancer will develop recurrence of their cancer after surgery. The majority of patients with Stage III disease have micrometastases that cannot be detected with currently available tests and cannot be removed with surgery. The presence of micrometastases causes the relapses that follow treatment with surgery alone." Source

Even with surgery, it's likely the cancer will come back. The treatment to prevent relapses is shaky at best, with response rates from 15-58 percent but overall survival about 6-12 months. There is a vaccine that has pretty good treatment rates but it's still not 100%. Knowing how much time, effort, pain and money that's gonna cost and it's still unlikely he'll make a full recovery, I don't blame the guy for not wanting the surgery.

Thank you Hiiro, for actually, y'know, being a good doctor and not forcing your patients.
Well that is the difference between emu and Hiiro. Emu is too much emotional even his aspiration of becoming a doctor is emotional aspect of being saved.

On unrelated notes the weapon of double X brothers is a Kingdom Hearts reference as a keyblade (key slasher) which makes me wonder if brothers in game name could be an indication of something else. Although I agree with Takeneko and it implies mario brothers there is a little fact that mario brothers is not a co-op game by nature so a couple of possible alternatives:
1) Double Dragon: Not only this is a side scroll game but it also involves twins as main cast which makes it perfectly fit for current situation.
2) Devil May Cry: Ok this one is not co-op either but i can see some Dante/Vergil interaction here especially how it is different between two using that sword.
3) Metal Gear Solid Series: Now I am totally crapping or do I in MGS both Snake and liquid are genetically created twins which would make sense for the dual personality issue in here both were created from The Boss and Eve's genetics.
4) Mario Bros: Ok i said by nature mario bros was not a co-op but i think there were at least some iteration of this franchise enough to warrant a spot in here.
5) Street Fighter: ok this is not like others in the list but i am talking about very first game in this genre. In the first game player 1 would always play with Ryu and you would finish tournament style fighting with Ryu. Ken was only possible in two player game and he was nothing more than a color change for Ryu.

Any other game I forgot that might fit the theme here? Considering the nature of Kamen Rider shows it might be a homage to one or more of these games in one way or other.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think it's just Super Mario Brothers. One of them literally breaks a brick block.

I'm not entirely sure if the KeyBlade is meant to be a key as in a lock and key. We had a discussion about this, and we think that based on the commercial, the "keys" actually refer to the series of buttons on top of it. It's hard to tell since it is arguably key shaped sorta.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote:I think it's just Super Mario Brothers. One of them literally breaks a brick block.

I'm not entirely sure if the KeyBlade is meant to be a key as in a lock and key. We had a discussion about this, and we think that based on the commercial, the "keys" actually refer to the series of buttons on top of it. It's hard to tell since it is arguably key shaped sorta.
That is another thing that got my attention how keys on the sword also are on bot borthers and kinda looks like tic tac toe but with three different players.

What about dangerous zombie? I am not too keen on zombie games and only game that i can think of main playable character having zombie abilities was prototype (though i wonder if that counts) maybe one of resident evils too but never played them not too keen on zombie games.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

the punching the brick thing was DEFINITELY a nod to the first mario brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC6bjaoXtZM

/bow lunangel for great work on the medical stuff. I was highly impressed.

not truly surprised about the end reveal, considering.

hoping this is a step in the right direction to actually make this one a bit more interesting.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>What about dangerous zombie? I am not too keen on zombie games and only game that i can think of main playable character having zombie abilities was prototype (though i wonder if that counts) maybe one of resident evils too but never played them not too keen on zombie games.

I think Genm is clearly an antagonist role. He's a recolor of the protagonist, and zombies are bad guys.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

Well, I guess this was done before the single of the opening was out; like the beginning of the op when you had "I gotta believe" was actually "I can not believe" for that part.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, are the official lyrics out?
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

There's no front page post for this.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

stardrago wrote:Well, I guess this was done before the single of the opening was out; like the beginning of the op when you had "I gotta believe" was actually "I can not believe" for that part.
You sure about that? The lyrics have been in the magazines twice and both times they've said "I gotta believe"
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

takenoko wrote: Weird direction choice to show Snipe walk over Emu, cut to after Emu wakes up,then flash back to Snipe wiping the blood off.
Well I was thinking "Oh, Taiga is just going to yank Mighty Brothers XX from him. Alright then." Though I guess you're talking about just not needing the flashback altogether, which I agree with.

Anyway, good episode. 4 stars.
My only gripe was going from bickering about who was who, and what enemy should take focus to expert co-op fighting at the end was a bit meh.
No internal struggle? No M is the first to detransform and somehow becomes the dominant personality? Hmm.
Well, Bugster Virus +. Now is this due to the gashat, or is that the extra personality?

Man, eyeless bike stung a little.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”