Game Illness

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Game Illness

Post by takenoko »

http://imgur.com/doNe7mS

We noticed in the last episode that the CR bed actually says Game Illness which is the literal translation of Game Byou.

We talked this over and decided that Game Syndrome just sounds better. As Luna points out, the first definition in a Japanese-English dictionary for Byou is Illness, but that doesn't mean it's the best translation.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Re: Game Illness

Post by Mandalori »

Well, the difference between an Illness and a Syndrome is that an Illness induce suffering to the patient and/or the people around it, while a Syndrome does not.
So I think that Illness would be better than Syndrome for this case.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

"[W]hen diagnosing a condition or disease, doctors tend to look for a group of symptoms existing together. As long as a set of symptoms remains mysterious, it may be referred to as a specific syndrome. But if that name is used for a while, it may become the condition's permanent name, even after an underlying cause has been found." Merriam Webster
I think "symptom" still fits pretty well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Is that really the difference?

Anyway, I see on google that there's a difference between syndrome and disease, but not for illness. Illness is too broad a term and generally no one names something XXX Illness. (I guess there's Mental Illness, but again it's very broad.)

While Syndrome is closely associated with diseases with obvious symptoms, like in this case with the Bugster Virus and the way it affects people. If Syndrome were no good, maybe Game Disease would be a close second?

Remember that Game Syndrome is what people call the affliction since they don't know about the Bugster Virus. All they know are the symptoms as they affect people.

But Game Illness just sounds like bad English.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

There's always foodborne illnesses but you can say disease for that. I mean, disease probably would've worked as well, and I think infection is pretty good too, but like take said, there's not really any sicknesses *named* illness.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”