KR Brave special released

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Brave special released

Post by Lunagel »

Sadly, we paid money for this
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wait, did I pay money for this one? I hope not!

Royal we???
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

This special, this special. I know people in a facebook group that praised this and here I am in this forum where it's despised, so now having seeing this properly I have formed my own opinion and it's not great, overrated at that Facebook group, though I do agree with them on Ex-Aid, and I agree with all of the negativity here.

Pros: Foundation X's return, maybe; it's been a while since we've seen them so it's good that Toei remembers them, or Toei's official tokusatsu fan club is why they're back and Toei thought they weren't interesting I don't know, this may be my only pro for this special
Cons: While Hiro is a Tsundere in the series, I see how he is a caring doctor despite coming off as a dick but here, he's just being a dick plain and simple and while we do have that one scene where he saves his eventual assistants, it's a one sided, or two sided in this case, respect as he just scolds them for being extra cautious, sure you're wasting time on doing something you may see as unnecessary but I'm pretty sure doctors have to run additional tests on their patients to be sure things are ok and with Hiro's attitude I don't see how he could be a reasonable or even a respected doctor or in his case a surgeon in the real world; the violence is over the top for the wrong reason; Ouja, while I do praise him being back, did felt forced out of actor's request, since Toshiki Seto, Hiro's actor is a fan of Ryuki as a kid and probably wanted to fight his favorite rider from Ryuki which is Ouja though that's just a guess; the scenes with Hiro's nurses, these are nothing more than something I would see out of a slasher movie, especially with that shower scene that's seemingly referencing Psycho and when Emu saw her running down the hallways it's like they're not even being subtle with it, ohh we have a woman in a towel, let's make Emu an immature junior high school kid

Overall: This special is just pure fanservice in addition of misogyny just to rub it in our faces.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote:Wait, did I pay money for this one? I hope not!

Royal we???
This one was out of my pocket. I was considering cancelling the order for the Blu-Ray but someone else is paying for that so...
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I came here to decry how fetishistic this special was of the assault of women, so I'm glad to see others picked up on it too. I was terribly worried it was going to be brushed aside or justified somehow. Everything else I wanted to say has been said better so good job folks.

The Hiiro circa episode 22 I'm enjoying, as he's done a lot of growing (even if it's not the direction I expected him to develop). This Hiiro, who must be circa 1 - 15, is complete garbage.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown

Post by Kurokage X »

I heard people saying that this gave Hiro's nurses characterization, only real thing I can is characterization is that they respect him because he saved them and that they're willing to put up with how he acts toward them like Harley is to the Joker before he realises that he does love her, but the only thing that's up to memory regarding them is being attacked like I'm watching a jackass husband abusing his wife with a metal pipe & the Psypho shower scene though she at least survived
Currently Watching

Finished Watching
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, those people might need to learn the meaning of the word "characterization". Honestly, it's been a while since they last showed up. Was he really this much of a dick to them, and were they really that subservient?

I remember liking when the two pretty nurses appeared. I thought it made Hiiro seem cool and at least respectable enough to gain some groupies. But all I remember them doing is helping him with a dangerous surgery that one time. I mean, they're probably better there as eye candy than any of this "characterization" that they were given in this thing.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kurokage X »

I honestly believe it could have been due to the hype of Ouja returning that was causing them to be praising this special, like a newly hyped game waiting to be released only to be a shitty game in the end.

I won't lie and say I was with that hype, only I was disappointed once I got to watch it proper, didn't help that I was reading about opinions on it here beforehand
Currently Watching

Finished Watching
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

I enjoyed this, Ouja seems a violent sociopath(I think that would fit into some Kamen Rider series, Faiz at the top of the list) though I need to watch Ryuki.

This is coming from a guy who finds it hard to dislike anything, so don't listen to me.
NOMarfo
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Maybe it's because I tempered my expectations beforehand, but I liked it. Mostly because Ouja is so enjoyable to watch, although I was upset we only got a sword vent. I find it weird to point out this special as sexist, since I think the whole series can kind of be viewed in that way. I saw the special as them paying homage to horror tropes as opposed to being intentionally sexist, and the whole 'girls that only exist to be rescued' thing can be applied to the series as a whole, as I mentioned before.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Are women really used as victims to be rescued as much in the TV series? I can definitely think of some women who needed rescuing, but the damseling also happens to guys too.

And I think someone mentioned above, but the whole horror aspect has changed with modern times. People expect different things and it's pretty popular to invert old tropes now. Just putting ladies in bathrobes to run from a killer seems a little archaic at this point. Like something that belongs in an age gone by.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kurokage X »

sometimes it doesn't hurt to use a classic trope in the modern age
Currently Watching

Finished Watching
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

I meant the Kamen Rider franchise as a whole can be seen as sexist, not Ex-aid in particular. There's rarely any female riders, and the ones that exist often die.

In most series, there's the token female that exists just to look cute, and not contribute much to the overall story. Some exceptions could be Ozawa from Agito, and Yuri from Kiva.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

While one may call this a callback to classic horror, though, I don't think it has the things that actually made the classics so great. Kind of like how I've heard people say Ex-Aid is trying to copy Gaim without realizing what made it so good, I don't think this special really understood what made the classics good. Take the comparison to Psycho, for instance:
Spoiler
This special borrows directly from the most infamous shock value sequence in the original movie, but with all the artistic setup taken out. In the original, the entire first part of the movie sets up the events of the character's life and her circumstances, and it even begins to question her own sanity, before the murder. It's still far from perfect, but it added a distinction and set up the character. Here, I don't even remember any motivation for the attack, and we know virtually nothing about the nurse. She seems to be there for the sole purposes of gratuitousness and getting attacked.

As well, the original did a lot with very little. Two deaths--and zero injuries--seems like an incredibly small amount for a slasher film, but Hitchcock makes it work. The violence is minimal--I'd say less than two minutes when all put together--, and little (if any) actual cutting occurs onscreen. Most cleverly shown at the climax of the film, the primary element is the suspense, not the violence. The exploration of the house is extremely slow, sometimes even switching entirely to a different sequence, building up to the climax and being terrifying in its own right without a drop of blood.

Here, there isn't much of that. There's a bit of suspense near the beginning, but there's nothing really artistic about it. They seem to have tried to put as much violence as could be allowed into the middle third especially, and it's nearly constant pain and action from there until the end. Perhaps the relative lack of suspense is a good thing, since it probably wasn't intended as an absolute horror film, but they still seem to have sacrificed quality for quantity here.

Ultimately, I don't think the shower/bathrobe scene belonged in another era so much as it put the final nail in the coffin and effectively stated that the special couldn't think of a really intellectual way to be dark, so it went the next route it could think of. Intellectually dark shows can give a strong message with hardly a drop of blood. Here, beyond an attempted "even jerks can have a heart underneath" idea, I don't think there was a message.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

My issue, which Mxylv touches on in his comparison to Psycho, is that in the Brave special the camera lingers on the violence.

We had several solid seconds of Ouja smacking Satsuki(?) with the pipe, silhouetted against the wall. Then later, the shower scene took foooreeeeverrrr. Was it necessary to spend so much time showing her running her hands through her hair? She's not even washing it or anything, just stroking slowly! Her hair is clearly tangled - no conditioner! And I get that adrenaline can lead to the dulling of a pain response, but her reaction time to noticing her back just got SLASHED OPEN was a little ridiculous.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”