KR Brave special released

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Izanagi_Izanami12345
Gao
Favorite series: Toqger + Shinkenger + Lupat + Gaim + Hibiki 1st Part
2nd Favorite Series: W + Build + Kyoryuger + Gobuster + GARO
Favorite Band: It changes over time, but the longest I like was Paramore
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ESTP Promoter

Re: KR Brave special released

Post by Izanagi_Izanami12345 »

Hmmm... God knows who are the target audiences of this special.. It is just... weird..

I don't have to add much, everyone pretty much put words for me...
Sadly Ouja returned in a very wrong way, I mean edgier and edgier doesn't make it always better, this Psycho Ouja is one example, the horror tropes are also.. For Garo? Yes. KR? Nope.. The Next tried it and imo failed..
Jerk Brave made it even worse, back to square one, didn't we? And Night of Safari is a lazy power up, worst Ouja's fight too..

The good things about this, are the reappearance of that old enemy that wasn't Shocker, we get to know a little about the nurses (though they basically not important whatsoever), and that Toei would do experiment to their property, though this clearly didn't work and basically a waste of their resources and talents....
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Izanagi_Izanami12345 wrote:the horror tropes are also.. For Garo? Yes. KR? Nope.. The Next tried it and imo failed..
The Next wasn't too great, yeah; but.. offhand.. episodes of Kuuga/Agito, Black and the original (at least the first 13) touched on B-horror elements and did it really well. So, I find it odd that there's an element in this thread about removing that from the franchise again.

You remove it, you end up with stuff like Kiva - the creature who goes bump in the daytime.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo

Post by VerusMaya II »

There's a huge spectrum between tastefully approaching and playing with B-horror tropes and plotlines, and this fetishistic violence. So while I'd argue that people aren't asking for it to be removed from the franchise, if Brave reflects the kind of results we're going to get, then yes, please remove it.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

VerusMaya II wrote:There's a huge spectrum between tastefully approaching and playing with B-horror tropes and plotlines, and this fetishistic violence. So while I'd argue that people aren't asking for it to be removed from the franchise, if Brave reflects the kind of results we're going to get, then yes, please remove it.
Ah, that's a fair point.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So I'm a bit late in this; just catching up on my Toku.

Anyhow, the HD encode is bad. There's a duplicate frame every second or so; it looks like it was deinterlaced or otherwise captured incorrectly. However as this was pulled from a website, I don't know what your source is like and if it's a problem with the original, or if you can even cap it any better...

As for the special itself, something clearly went wrong here. Everything about this special says that it should have been released back in the fall. Jerkass Hiiro with his nurses, no sign of the level 3 forms, etc. Releasing it 20 episodes into Ex-Aid was a mistake; this isn't the time to be releasing early stories about your characters.

The bad timing coupled with the absurd plot and fixation on brutality has me seriously suspecting that this special had production problems, and this is the salvaged version. (Which begs the question: how bad was the first cut?) Just so many things have to go wrong to end up with something like this. I don't even know who to blame. (An Ex-Aid slasher flick, really?)

Though I do see where Toei was trying to go with this idea. Give Hiiro the focus he can't have in the main series, showing why he was a jerkass in the beginning. (It's a character flaw to build from, but not an unearned flaw since he is that damn good) It's a shame that the final product is so far off the mark.
Izanagi_Izanami12345
Gao
Favorite series: Toqger + Shinkenger + Lupat + Gaim + Hibiki 1st Part
2nd Favorite Series: W + Build + Kyoryuger + Gobuster + GARO
Favorite Band: It changes over time, but the longest I like was Paramore
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by Izanagi_Izanami12345 »

Sorry I wrote my comment like I was against using horror tropes in KR before.. It is actually with how Toei used the tropes...

In The Next, the horror tropes didn't strengthen the plot, they felt really wasted. While in Brave Special, torture and slasher tropes felt really out of place and forced. It is just... Weird..
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

ViRGE wrote:Anyhow, the HD encode is bad. There's a duplicate frame every second or so; it looks like it was deinterlaced or otherwise captured incorrectly. However as this was pulled from a website, I don't know what your source is like and if it's a problem with the original, or if you can even cap it any better...
Not sure about that, but it's just a temporary release until we get the Blu-ray in a couple of months.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

ViRGE wrote:Just so many things have to go wrong to end up with something like this. I don't even know who to blame.
I have a suggestion.
Spoiler
ONORE, DECADOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Mxylv wrote:
ViRGE wrote:Just so many things have to go wrong to end up with something like this. I don't even know who to blame.
I have a suggestion.
Spoiler
ONORE, DECADOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
That never gets old
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B