Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
4%

Total votes: 28
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Post by xiiliea »

Wiki

Team Pac-Man (Mao Zedong, Handcuffed Man, Garo Asura, Kungfu Girl) vs Team Riders.

And of course, Takeru has to die for a while for an extra 3 minutes of movie.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that movie felt padded as fuck. Did we really need two flashback scenes in a 90 minute movie? The whole thing feels like you could have cut half an hour and the experience would have been better for it.

Sadly, this movie reminded me of why I hated Ex-Aid at first. The bad pacing, the annoying characters, the really forced drama. Too much "No, you're too tired to get out there!" and "I'm going to be a dumb emo baby before doing the right thing that I'm going to do anyway!"

And it's so early in production that some of the choices don't even transition into the TV series. What was the deal with Poppy's voice in this movie? That was heck of weird. Could they not remove that?

It seemed like each Rider they added had a more tenuous reason for being there than the previous. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about that. But the scenes where they fought along to their theme song was great, I really dug that. They probably should have edited it so they defeated the mini bosses to those songs, because when they returned to the fighting for the (I'm guessing) Kamen RIder Girls' song, I was tuning out again.

With Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in mind, I can kind of see why some action works better than others. In Guardians, the action doesn't overstay it's welcome and moves along with the story. That movie was story driven. In Toei movies, the movies are clearly action driven. Like "Here's a cool idea for an action scene, let's write a way for this to happen". And that wouldn't be so bad, if the action didn't constantly overstay its welcome in these movies. You can't keep the action going non-stop, I need a break, or at least, to see the story progress.

I'll give this movie some stars though, for having the Ghost characters be actual characters, instead of a band of weird fucked-up stooges.

Some of my live commentary:
-Oh god. The movie is only halfway over! It's too long!!! And now here's Wizard.
-Why are you thanking Pac-man? How does that make sense?
-Emu has a bike?
-And here's fucking Gaim? What the hell?
-Wait, did that guy just say he can make people immortal. Why are you stopping him?

There's a lot of good things in the movie, like Takeru remembering that Gaim is a god, or the Ghost crew having some caring moments, but there's also a lot of fluff that drags it down. Why is Toei so obsessed with catchphrases nowadays? It makes their characters feel less like people, and it's insulting to the intellect. Yeah we get it, Emu likes patients, and Takeru learned to appreciate being alive, etc.

Edit: Also, Akari looks like shit in this movie. What happened there?
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Post by PHurricane »

Man, Pac-Man sure was popular in movies this past year.

I blame Takeru for this whole movie. If he hadn't opened his mouth and jinxed everyone by saying how peaceful it was, I bet none of this would have happened. The ending was also a tease. I don't know why they couldn't have listened to Onari and let Takeru stay dead. For good. (I can dream...)

Level 1 Ex-aid running around at the start of the movie was so adorable. I may have forgotten this movie was set pre-Christmas, so Lazer popping up caught me off guard at first. Taiga chastising Hiiro for not taking care of himself never gets old. The weird echo thing going on with Poppy's voice was very strange. The series would have been airing for, what, 2-3 months by the time this came out? I wonder what the logic was for adding it in special for the movie. I don't even think they used it consistently.

The villain using Proto-Drago Knight Hunter looked so familiar, but I couldn't find anything I would know his actor from. Guess he has one of those typical toku faces. The fights with the female villain were pretty impressive too. A little too flashy, but still fun to watch.

So, Haruto was just lurking in the background for most of the movie, waiting for a chance to make his grand entrance? And then pretending to join the villains so that he could lead the rookies to them once they caught up to him in the investigation? That was slightly odd, but it strangely worked. I thought they incorporated Shinnosuke into the story pretty well too. Gaim less so, but they did what they had to since his actor could only do a voice-over.
takenoko wrote:There's a lot of good things in the movie, like Takeru remembering that Gaim is a god, or the Ghost crew having some caring moments, but there's also a lot of fluff that drags it down.

They did an excellent job of remembering how the Riders had interacted in various movies over the years. I was doubly impressed that they not only had the characters acknowledge the cameo Ex-Aid had in Ghost's summer movie, but made good use of the promotional gimmick item again. Plus, I love that Shinnosuke always seems to work into conversation that Gaim is a god.

It was also great to hear all their theme songs again, but it was awkward to go from the theme song/form spam for the veteran riders, then no theme song and Level 2 for Ex-Aid. I enjoyed B.A.T.T.L.E.G.A.M.E. (the KR Girls insert song).
takenoko wrote:Why is Toei so obsessed with catchphrases nowadays? It makes their characters feel less like people, and it's insulting to the intellect. Yeah we get it, Emu likes patients, and Takeru learned to appreciate being alive, etc.
They're getting more and more shoehorned in. The trick with the catchphrases, especially the more complicated ones, is to incorporate them naturally rather than sounding like they're just trying to meet a quota. Terui in W is a great example of this - whether it was his "don't ask me questions," "shake it off" one, or the "despair goal" one, the reason they became memorable was the clever ways the writers would fit them into a conversation.

Hey, they had the whole Ghost support crew show up. That's...nice, I suppose.

For those who claimed the movie spoiled that Parado was Emu’s Bugster...no, it really didn’t. It confirmed that Emu was the first person to contract the Bugster virus and that something went wrong during his surgery, but they said as much in flashbacks during the series. But I guess the implication was that movie patient’s Bugster helped Kuroto create Perfect Puzzle? If that's right, wonder if someone else helped create the data for Knock-Out Fighter. I also can't seem to reconcile the movie debut of Mighty Brothers with the series. It would require some sort of memory loss and Takeru keeping his mouth shut, since I think he was the only one who survived who saw it. Takeru clearly didn't tell Emu that he had Game Syndrome, so I suppose it's not impossible.

Final judgment - better than I expected. I can even forgive Ghost's presence, if for nothing other than the way the Pac-Man/Ghost relationship was incorporated into the plot.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

When Emu comes out of the Mighty Brothers state, he clearly has plot amnesia. He doesn't remember that he's infected either.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Can I just say how disappointed I am that they billed this as having 5 generations of Kamen Riders and Gaim doesn't even show up? I mean, it's clearly a random dude, so random, in fact, that they didn't even give him voice credit. Was there a point in even having Gaim then? Wouldn't it have been better to just give his (very limited) screentime to someone else? Or better yet, just make the movie shorter?

Generic movie, sub-par plot, smirky Emu is punchable. And yet I would still watch it all over again for Wushu Girl because HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. DID YOU SEE HER KICK ALAIN IN THE FACE?! BACKWARDS?! DAYUM GIRL!

I have a new baby daddy and she is amazing.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

They dubbed Gaim with stock phrases didn't they? I think the actor was overseas when they were filming.

The part where the Ghost and Ex-Aid Riders fight towards the beginning was really cool. It's a shame it kind of comes apart toward the end forcing the previous main riders in.

I preferred the old Decade/W or W/OOO style movie crossovers.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

This movie look like "Ghost and his friends", with Ex-Aid support, rather than Ex-Aid vs Ghost vs Heisei Rider. Weak story at Ex-Aid side, weak characters development and waste cameo in this movie. So I don't like how Takahashi Yuya's writing in this movie.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

At 15:05, I think there's a mistake. The subs read:
"Pac-Man's natural enemies are the ghosts that appear in this game.[removed quotes around ghost]"
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

To be honest, I feel like they could have done the movie without Makoto and Alain. They just appeared for the fight scenes and then didn't really matter much. I did like the fact how the writers remembered that the riders had interacted with each other before and put it in the writing. As a whole the movie was okay but i feel like i was just watching it to pass the time.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

This was such an improvement over Genesis, if only because of it actually being faithful to canon. Everyone knew the people they'd met before, and they even wiped Emu's memory of Mighty Brothers XX so that it doesn't violate the show's canon.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

My only problem with movie was Gaim. His personality was wrong for starters and what was he can't forgive the sword chick for he was not even in movie for ten minutes at that time. His voice felt wrong too and lastly for gaim's sake he is a frigging god couldn't he handle whole situation himself? My second problem was a generic bugster handling all strong forms of ghost like they are some childs play. I mean mugen form should have infinite power for gaim's sake :P I accidently gave it a 5 but my real score is a 4.
HowlingSnail wrote:This was such an improvement over Genesis, if only because of it actually being faithful to canon. Everyone knew the people they'd met before, and they even wiped Emu's memory of Mighty Brothers XX so that it doesn't violate the show's canon.
To be honest I think the memory wiped happened because it was not proper double gashat and only made possible with Emu's specific condition+two might action x gashats one being a proto gashat. Emu was acting strange during double form two was talking in total sync and acting in total sync. I guess it was parado who was in total control at that time.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

All I can say is that I missed Gaim proper and okay, so Takeru died again, big DEAL, but man do I love seeing Emu get roughed up... >___> (I love him, really.)
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

I really enjoyed the movie. Up until the point where Gaim popped in and did not feel like Kouta at all.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

I'll admit i honestly thought they got Kouta back at first, but even though they used voice clips from the show, I am happy they did that instead of say what they do to Fourze. I do like the movie special form for ghost, mainly because of the jingle and the costume which is something i've always liked about Ghost (and the only positive i have for it), all in all, it wasn't as bad as i thought, tho when giant pac-man showed up that was nightmare fuel for me. Also like everyone said, Yay for continuity between riders, definitely going to watch this again
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Eternal_Winterbane wrote:I'll admit i honestly thought they got Kouta back at first, but even though they used voice clips from the show,
They didn't use any clips. If they did, they would've given voice credit to him, and no one was listed in the credits for Gain's voice. The guy sounds similar at points, but it's not him.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”