Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
4%

Total votes: 28
YuushaGamer
Quote: I play to win
Type: ISFP Composer

Re: Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Post by YuushaGamer »

So I was looking forward to this crossover but I was a bit disappointed in it to be honest. First off I'd like to mention that I thought the music was super loud and I could barley here some of the dialog at some points don't know if it was the encoders on my pc or just the media in general. I enjoyed seeing all the old riders again but I guess they couldn't get gaim's actor back for it, just his voice. My only bad point is the end fight and that they didn't have the big massive team up defeat of the big bad guy like they''ve had in past crossovers. All and all though it was good for a crossover KR movie. p.s. Did they have to get permission from Namco in order to use Pacman?
twitter: @YuushaGamer
youtube: YuushaGamer
twitch: twitch/YuushaGamer
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man VS Ex-Aid & Ghost with Legend Riders Released!

Post by xiiliea »

YuushaGamer wrote:So I was looking forward to this crossover but I was a bit disappointed in it to be honest. First off I'd like to mention that I thought the music was super loud and I could barley here some of the dialog at some points don't know if it was the encoders on my pc or just the media in general. I enjoyed seeing all the old riders again but I guess they couldn't get gaim's actor back for it, just his voice. My only bad point is the end fight and that they didn't have the big massive team up defeat of the big bad guy like they''ve had in past crossovers. All and all though it was good for a crossover KR movie. p.s. Did they have to get permission from Namco in order to use Pacman?
Isn't Namco part of Bandai? I'm sure they were more than eager to promote Pac-Man.

And yup, my poor ears during the music part. Some of the jingles were barely audible.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Well for starters, as everyone has already said, I enjoyed how the interactions between the Riders follows continuity with references to past meetings. Additionally, I loved how the riders felt like the naturally fit into the plot (such as going to the police/Drive when you need some detective work) instead of just shoehorning everyone at the end in costume like a LOT of previous movie wars did.

Other random thoughts:
-I can't tell if "Ghost" being the only thing to hurt Pac-Man is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, or the most brilliant thing I've ever heard.
-Man, why did Wizard the show have to suck so bad, yet the rider have to be so cool?! I missed those fancy flip kicks.
-Did the main Ex-Aid writer write this movie? There's some pretty deep foreshadowing about Pallado when they showed 6 years ago
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

There's been a Namco joint with Ex-Aid for a while now. You can see their credits in the specials and stuff. Plus the games from the special are all Namco games.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

sound and scoring for this movie is quite good in my opinion.
stil halfway through it thou
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

The Good:
  • Excellent continuity when the Riders meet up with each other
  • The three henchmen were amazing (especially the female, despite her obsession with spankings)
  • It's good to see Wizard again, as that was one of my favourite shows from the second Heisei phase
  • The new Ghost form was better than his other power-up forms by far.

The Bad:
  • Too many spoilers if you watch this in chronological order. It basically gave away stuff that took over 20 episodes to reveal like it was candy.
  • Pac-Man should have been afraid of ghosts, not chasing them without a power pellet.
  • They could have at least had Takeru or Emu say "I guess the Ghost powers just needed recharged" to make things feel less forced.
  • Gaim shouldn't have made that awkward appearance, especially without the actor available. Give it to one of the other Armoured riders who are still alive and might have a reason to be there (Wizard summons them, maybe?).

The Ugly:
  • This was a chance for the Ghost cast to have decent writing. Instead, it felt more like ExHaid was being thrown to the Ghost writing staff. I know this was early in the show, but come on! >_<;;
  • The dialogue was nthing but forced exposition for most of the movie. That entire convo on the rooftop made me want to hurt someone.
  • Toei had a good thing going with the crossovers back in the days of W and OOO, and those 3-act movies were totally brill. They should never have tried to fix what wasn't broken...
  • I actually had to stop halfway through the movie because it dragged on so horribly. This was 40, maybe 50 minutes of material AT MOST, and all that padding was threatening to leave me in a added room.

Three Riders I love, one I wanted to love but was written by a bunch of chimpanzees using Google auto-correct, and Drive (which I just plain hated)... I'll never get that 1 1/2 hourrs back...

But if someone wants to compile the fight scenes with the three henchmen, I'll gladly watch that every day until Toei can be consistent in honouring this franchise.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Ashki wrote:
[*]Toei had a good thing going with the crossovers back in the days of W and OOO, and those 3-act movies were totally brill. They should never have tried to fix what wasn't broken...
[/color]
That's a terrible idea. It was basically two separate stories and coming up with some silly way to make the two stories connect together for a shallow team up at the end. At least the current way have more cast interaction. I would prefer this type of movie to be the summer movie so it would occurred more towards the end of the current Rider than at the beginning.

I'm surprised that I like this movie more than I thought I would. It's definitely better than the Ghost/Drive movie from last year for sure. The Ghost and Pacman connection was both the silliest thing ever and the most clever thing ever at the same time.

I swear that burying the Drive's belt was the worst thing ever because Toei needs to come up with a reason to get it everytime Drive is now in a movie and already ran out of good reasons to get it. I swear that's why they needed Gaim because he's God and could easily get it. Maybe at some point, they can make a copy of the belt so they don't need to get the original everytime or just not have Drive in any future movies.

I did like the connection of Perfect Puzzle and guessing Perfect Knockout.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Too many spoilers if you watch this in chronological order. It basically gave away stuff that took over 20 episodes to reveal like it was candy.

I don't think so. The stuff they showed you wouldn't have made sense out of context. It only seems like spoilers since you have the knowledge to fill in those gaps.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

OOOKaiser wrote:To be honest, I feel like they could have done the movie without Makoto and Alain. They just appeared for the fight scenes and then didn't really matter much. I did like the fact how the writers remembered that the riders had interacted with each other before and put it in the writing. As a whole the movie was okay but i feel like i was just watching it to pass the time.
HowlingSnail wrote:This was such an improvement over Genesis, if only because of it actually being faithful to canon. Everyone knew the people they'd met before, and they even wiped Emu's memory of Mighty Brothers XX so that it doesn't violate the show's canon.
Those are basically the best things I can say for the movie. It was okay but nothing like what we got before. I don't know WHY Takeru didn't tell Emu what happened, but considering broken continuity is a stick in my craw, I'll over look it.

The movie was long and there were several times I thought it was ending before "Nope, moar movie". I don't know who said it before, but Alain and Makoto were underused, although their fights were decent. Definitely not one of my favorites, which is a shame because I've otherwise love Ex-Aid (Ghost... eh, I was watching for the video game Rider).
Greenstalker wrote:My only problem with movie was Gaim. His personality was wrong for starters and what was he can't forgive the sword chick for he was not even in movie for ten minutes at that time. His voice felt wrong too and lastly for gaim's sake he is a frigging god couldn't he handle whole situation himself? My second problem was a generic bugster handling all strong forms of ghost like they are some childs play. I mean mugen form should have infinite power for gaim's sake :P I accidently gave it a 5 but my real score is a 4.
HowlingSnail wrote:This was such an improvement over Genesis, if only because of it actually being faithful to canon. Everyone knew the people they'd met before, and they even wiped Emu's memory of Mighty Brothers XX so that it doesn't violate the show's canon.
To be honest I think the memory wiped happened because it was not proper double gashat and only made possible with Emu's specific condition+two might action x gashats one being a proto gashat. Emu was acting strange during double form two was talking in total sync and acting in total sync. I guess it was parado who was in total control at that time.
Yeah, Shinnosuke was the only Rider other than the main two to have significance to the plot. Granted, there's no reason for Takeru to know about the others, but they could've teased Haruto's appearance more than just drop him in when they did. Gaim, well, if they couldn't have his actor, there wasn't more to do, except maybe a shot of whoever they got to double him in the final shot reacting like he realizes there's a problem.

As for Emu not remembering, that does make sense. It definitely is different from the show so good theory.
Lunagel wrote:
Eternal_Winterbane wrote:I'll admit i honestly thought they got Kouta back at first, but even though they used voice clips from the show,
They didn't use any clips. If they did, they would've given voice credit to him, and no one was listed in the credits for Gain's voice. The guy sounds similar at points, but it's not him.
If that's the case and there's not credit, sounds about right. I thought something sounded off, but I thought that was just because they had to stitch together his performance.
takenoko wrote:Edit: Also, Akari looks like shit in this movie. What happened there?
I must be blind, I thought she looked the same as in Ghost. I know she got the movie strain of Bugster, but I'm assuming you meant before too. Yeah, I thought she looked fine and I don't just mean FINE.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

All told, that wasn't a bad movie. It was a loud, dumb action movie, but I wasn't expecting anything any different. Otherwise it was better than the average team-up movie. We've had much worse, and rarely have we had better. Now just remove half of the action scenes and replace them with plot, and you'd have a genuinely good movie.:o
takenoko wrote:Yeah, that movie felt padded as fuck. Did we really need two flashback scenes in a 90 minute movie? The whole thing feels like you could have cut half an hour and the experience would have been better for it.
Agreed. There was a lot of fighting. I mean a lot. The middle of the movie was an almost 30 minute unbroken fight scene. Beat up the riders untransformed, then beat up the riders transformed, and then finally they beat up the bad guys.

Meanwhile, is it me or was this movie especially brutal towards Emu? He got beat up heavily, even by KR standards. It got a bit ridiculous at points. They need to share the pain; for example, Ghost could use some more beating...
What was the deal with Poppy's voice in this movie? That was heck of weird. Could they not remove that?
Even if the movie is prepared well in advance - and what we're seeing is what they had originally planned for Poppy way back at the start - the echo is a post-process effect. I can't fathom any reason they couldn't quickly re-render the sound mix without her echo. I'm increasingly of the opinion that this was done solely for movie theater reasons.
xiiliea wrote:And of course, Takeru has to die for a while for an extra 3 minutes of movie.
At this point Takeru dying has turned into a running gag. Maybe we'll get lucky one of these days and it'll even stick! :D
xiiliea wrote:And yup, my poor ears during the music part. Some of the jingles were barely audible.
It seems like Toei can never get this right. Half the time the sound mix is 5 different jingles blaring away at once, drowning out everything else. In this case it was almost the opposite: the background music was drowning out the dialog and sound effects. I just don't get it. They need to be properly mastering this for home theaters.
Phoenix512 wrote:The Ghost and Pacman connection was both the silliest thing ever and the most clever thing ever at the same time.
I'm gong with brilliant. It just works so well with the riders at the core of this team-up. I'm thinking that they surely noticed this early on before selecting the game villain, which is why we got Pac-Man in the first place. Otherwise that's one hell of a coincidence.
I swear that burying the Drive's belt was the worst thing ever because Toei needs to come up with a reason to get it everytime Drive is now in a movie and already ran out of good reasons to get it. I swear that's why they needed Gaim because he's God and could easily get it. Maybe at some point, they can make a copy of the belt so they don't need to get the original everytime or just not have Drive in any future movies.
They didn't put it back at the end of this movie. So they could easily handwave that in the future, I suppose. Otherwise you're right, but I am of the mind that doing right by the series is better than leaving things open for the stupid movies. It was a powerful ending for Drive, and I don't think not burying the belt would have made any of these post-Drive movies any better.
Phoenix512 wrote:That's a terrible idea. It was basically two separate stories and coming up with some silly way to make the two stories connect together for a shallow team up at the end. At least the current way have more cast interaction. I would prefer this type of movie to be the summer movie so it would occurred more towards the end of the current Rider than at the beginning.
Agreed. This movie has problems (we didn't need 5 riders with all the fan service that comes with it), however it's still better than the old X/Y/X+Y format of the old movies. The isolated stories always resulted in a mess once it came time to smoosh the two together. This format at least has the potential of delivering a good movie.
Monkeyjb1988 wrote:
takenoko wrote:Edit: Also, Akari looks like shit in this movie. What happened there?
I must be blind, I thought she looked the same as in Ghost. I know she got the movie strain of Bugster, but I'm assuming you meant before too. Yeah, I thought she looked fine and I don't just mean FINE.
Akari did have a very distinct case of team-up hair. Otherwise she looked the same. Don't underestimate the power of a hair-do to completely change how one's face is interpreted.
Lunagel wrote:Can I just say how disappointed I am that they billed this as having 5 generations of Kamen Riders and Gaim doesn't even show up? I mean, it's clearly a random dude, so random, in fact, that they didn't even give him voice credit. Was there a point in even having Gaim then? Wouldn't it have been better to just give his (very limited) screentime to someone else? Or better yet, just make the movie shorter?
I'm sure the thought process was something like "wouldn't it be cool to get all the riders from the past half-decade into a single movie?!". And then it just spiraled out of control from there. The problem with that idea (besides eating time) is that it would be incredibly awkward if Wizard was there but Gaim was not. And since they could get Wizard, and 5 Riders is cooler than 3, they did exactly what you'd expect by forcing Gaim in via other methods.:|
And yet I would still watch it all over again for Wushu Girl because HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. DID YOU SEE HER KICK ALAIN IN THE FACE?! BACKWARDS?! DAYUM GIRL!
I had to look this one up in the Wiki. It's the same woman who played the not-quite purple Ninninger. She's listed as being a junior wushu champion, and I can believe it. Those were amazing moves, and it easily put everyone else to shame. Having actors that can do their own stunts is so much fun.:) And while it would never happen, it would be nice if they could get her in as a regular in a toku series, as she'd clearly be good at it.
I have a new baby daddy and she is amazing.
That makes no sense. Also, that's incredibly disturbing. :shock: :P
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

I have to disagree with you all.

I can finally say a Kamen Rider Movie is a masterpiece.
NOMarfo
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

the female wushu girl is tottaly the best thing inside this movie i guess.
i recognize her as Takaharu (NinninRed) gf/ex-gf, but after google about her and know she is a wushu champion. then no wonder her fighting scene is so great!!
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

Finally got around to watching this. I probably enjoyed it as much as I could considering it's a crossover between Ghost (which I hated) & Ex-Aid (which I'm lukewarm to at best). I had completely forgotten that Ghost Tenkatoitsu Damashii was even a thing. It really had no reason to exist, but the suit looked really cool.

Even in this, Ghost still had all the same problems. Makoto & Alain being useless, poor Kanon only showing up to say people's names dramatically, and Takeru dying AGAIN. Seriously, why was that scene needed? How could we possibly care? Dying is basically that fucker's hobby at this point. At least he got revived through CPR instead of a dad hug, friendship, or a magic floating eyeball this time.

On the bright side though, the action was good, the chick with the sword was badass, the main villain's suit looked cool, we got to see Haruto again (I've missed Haruto), and we got a cool insert theme by Rider Chips & Kamen Rider Girls. Also, being a huge wrestling fan, I enjoyed seeing Hiroshi Tanahashi.

P.S.
Has anyone else heard a drop in audio quality during the Movin' on music video during the first chorus (from 1:15 to about 1:36)? I've got the unsubbed version of it & there's definitely a difference in the audio. Also there's a typo in the romaji lyrics too, during the last chorus. The video has the line as "Issho ni kanaete-ikou" (like in the previous choruses), when it should be "Issho ni kanaeteku yo".
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

PkmnChmp5 wrote:Also there's a typo in the romaji lyrics too, during the last chorus. The video has the line as "Issho ni kanaete-ikou" (like in the previous choruses), when it should be "Issho ni kanaeteku yo".
Ugh, looks like the result of copy-paste. I translated it correctly in the wiki.
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

xiiliea wrote:
PkmnChmp5 wrote:Also there's a typo in the romaji lyrics too, during the last chorus. The video has the line as "Issho ni kanaete-ikou" (like in the previous choruses), when it should be "Issho ni kanaeteku yo".
Ugh, looks like the result of copy-paste. I translated it correctly in the wiki.
Are ya'll gonna bother with a V2 or just let it go? Personally, I'm more concerned with the audio issue I mentioned. It's annoying me to no end.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”