Chou Super Hero Taisen released

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 am

☆☆☆☆☆
13%
☆☆☆☆
6%
☆☆☆
39%
☆☆
26%
16%

Total votes: 31
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Chou Super Hero Taisen released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... ero_Taisen

Too bad the story is nonsense, because there was some good choreography in this movie.

But it's hard to get excited about a bunch of different characters meeting that don't have a common story or theming. I mean, it's always exciting to see a character you like come back, but you also want to see them do cool things or say cool things. That's why you like these characters in the first place right?

The perfect example of this failing is when Ucchi dies. The only character who really knew him was Amu, but we don't see her react emotionally to it. It's superficially a scene that's supposed to create pathos, but it fails in set up and execution to spark an emotional response. Maybe the same can be said about a lot of stuff Toei puts out nowadays. "Story doesn't matter as long as there are cool fight scenes."

Speaking of which, Amu's early fights were awesome. There was also that cool shot where they went through that mini ravine.

Also, leave Eito in the game world. He's going to grow up to be a serial killer. He's the textbook definition of a sociopath.

3/5 lucky stars, pretty much what you expect from a super hero taisen
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Chou Super Hero Taisen released

Post by windfall »

So what was the point of setting the attack in Korea? These movies always leave something to be desired, but this one especially seems to have a lot of scenes missing. The were a lot of cuts away during the middle of the fights and then they're resolved off screen.

I did enjoy the tournament part of this movie, or rather the parts of the tournament that they bothered to show us. As far as contrived reasons go for bringing back old suits, this was a pretty decent excuse. Emu selecting his team was great. I think that was a good use of the returning actors, especially if the didn't have much time with them to actually film. Which leads me to wonder why would they bother with the awful voice overs for the other zyuohgers and toq 1go.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

It get's a 1 from for having ideas. The execution was however terrible.

Was there a point to Amu? I don't remember her having any plot significance.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I completely forgot that this movie was a thing. I don't think I've ever blanked out the existence of a toku movie like that, especially given how long they spend promoting them these days.

It was...okay? There was nothing that I found terribly offensive, although the Kyuuranger/Space Squad crossover seems to have retconned the notion that Kyuuranger is in the same universe as the rest of Super Hero Time. There just wasn't anything that got me too excited either. Hiiro is probably my least favorite character from Ex-Aid, so having the plot revolve around him didn't endear me to the story. The random cameos felt like they were there just for the sake of having cameos. Except maybe Amazons - that was funny, especially because of how overpowered they really, really weren't. I also prefer the GoRider team we got in the miniseries far more than the hodgepodge group we got here.

Wait - I guess one thing did bother me. If Zyuland wasn't destroyed or seriously damaged (which the Zyuohgers implied when they finally showed up in the latter part of the movie), how exactly did Amu get so injured? And are we not post-series so that Zyuland was supposed to be merged with Earth? None of that lined up very well.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

The Good:
Naaga's subplot was great
All the nostalgia
Some excellent battles
Great humour
Good music all around
Momotaro was perfect

The Bad:
So was Jyuuland destroyed or not? I expect plot holes from Heisei-era Toei, but this one was pretty friggin' huge...
The whole first part reminded me of why I hate KyuuRanger. Between Lucky's annoying Ninninger-esque behaviour and his being so quick to back down ("I get to fight a Rider!" to "I know all heroes are good"),that was the most annoying part of the overall movie or me.
GoRanger returns just to point out this is a Taisen-only powerup when the idea still deserves an actual miniseries or show devoted to it.

The Ugly:
No Nico! *grrrrrr*
Amu was my least favourite ro the core Jyuohgers, but they bumped off Sela yet again to use her as a (barely) plot device. Sela would've fit the plot so much better...
MomoRanger was COMPLETELY out-of-character. She was a competant leader and a bloody demolitions expert who wore bombs for jewelery, not some girly-girl who relies on cheap tricks and ccrotch shots to win!

I don't expect JMS-quality writing in these shows, which is why I can kick back and enjoy them more than a lot of others on here. Unortunately, Toei's become weak in their portrayal of heroines and consequence since the Showa Era, whichi ironic. We have more female characters, but usually only one (in Sentai, but not Kamen Rider) gets any attention or depth. The rest are token extras (including chars with amazing potential, such as Nico and Sela). And while there's far more plysicl violence and explosions, there's only a tiny death count (Liveman killed thousand in just the first few minutes, characters were permanently killed off and sometimes replaced to enforce the permanance (ex: KiRanger in GoRanger)...

Something I relly love about the Showa Era is that it allows you to sit down with your kids and discuss serious topics, such as death, racism, and mental illness. In the Heisei Era, this has become increasingly rare, and the American "It's just a flesh wound" mentality towards death in kid's shows is taking over. While Ex-Aid has some acceptable workarounds for a few chars, people can still die and even the "dead" Bugsters can be permanently killed off, so they're really more like undead than living. This movie was fun overall, but it really underscored both of these Heisei flaws by restoring everything in both worlds and misrepresenting older female chars to make them more chauvanist-friendly.

Hold on a moment... If both worlds were restored, are we supposed to have concluded tht Jyuuland was also restored and that's why the other Jyuohgers didn't know they were supposed to be dead? I'm a writer and it took ME an hour and a rant to figure that one out, so the kids will never get it. Bad Toei!

Anyway, 4/5 because they once again kicked Nico and Sela to the curb to avoid reminding kids that women can be strong too.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Evangeline
Adventure
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Dreamy: Shijima Go
Favorite Actor?: Rika Adachi
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Figure Collection
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Evangeline »

what the F*CK this movie purpose?? no clear plot at all
how dare they make Dairanger weak by make them lose to Team Ex-Aid??? also if Lazer lv.3 can't beat Genm lv.X, how the f*ck Ex-Aid beat him??
"players are not allowed to level up" WHAT KIND OF GAME IS THAT?!??!?!?!?
how can 3 amazons cant beat Ex-Aid?? why?? just why??
even the climax scene also weird...
also TOEI please stop make Den-O looks like a popular kamen rider series, the series itself not even great.
3/5 because CG
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

windfall wrote:So what was the point of setting the attack in Korea?
Maybe there's some Korea ad money. Kinda like how the more recent Transformers movies have scenes in China due to Chinese money funding the movie.
Ashki wrote:Amu was my least favourite ro the core Jyuohgers, but they bumped off Sela yet again to use her as a (barely) plot device. Sela would've fit the plot so much better...
Why do you think Sela would be better than Amu besides having a personal bias against Amu?
Evangeline wrote:what the F*CK this movie purpose?? no clear plot at all
how dare they make Dairanger weak by make them lose to Team Ex-Aid??? also if Lazer lv.3 can't beat Genm lv.X, how the f*ck Ex-Aid beat him??
"players are not allowed to level up" WHAT KIND OF GAME IS THAT?!??!?!?!?
how can 3 amazons cant beat Ex-Aid?? why?? just why??
even the climax scene also weird...
also TOEI please stop make Den-O looks like a popular kamen rider series, the series itself not even great.
It's all a game especially during the Amazons fight when it became EXTREME HARD mode. Also Den-O will never die. I can see why people get tired of it but it does have an endearing charm to it.

It was okay. I did like the Naaga and Brave subplot with Eito. I wonder if keep away the Gemini Kyuutama so the team wouldn't have to deal with two Luckys all the time. Speaking of Lucky, I had a funny thought that Eito was just accepting the real world and then hears Lucky's catchphrase which at that point, he would want to go back to the game world.
Infinius
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Dreamy: Akiba Yellow
Favorite Actor?: Mark Musashi
Favorite Band: Flyleaf
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Post by Infinius »

Did anyone else notice Raimein from Dino Charge/ Kyuuryuger Brave in the final battle with Chou Shocker?

Between this and the Amazons, it was nice to see that literally everything but Akibaranger(RIP) is part of the Super Hero cannon.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Phoenix512 wrote:
Ashki wrote:Amu was my least favourite of the core Jyuohgers, but they bumped off Sela yet again to use her as a (barely) plot device. Sela would've fit the plot so much better...
Why do you think Sela would be better than Amu besides having a personal bias against Amu?
My bias isn't against Amu, even though her character was extremely tropic and thus uninteresting to me. In the series, Amu got plenty of screentime, but Sela was treated more as an extra and had very little development. One might put this down to Sela's actress already being a professional model (Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are often used in the Heisei era as a means to expose new talent by their agents, and it's sometimes even considere something of a "rite of passage"). However, my resoning for her being more appropriate omes down to Sela's established traits and the plotline of this crossover.

Sela was a strong fighter who wanted recognition for her skill, but was frequently treated unfairly because she's a female. This was spelled out quite strongly in her duel with Leo and the accompanying flashbacks. Sela also had a very strong connection with Jyuuland due to her family, and would thus have far more to lose if she were the sole survivor. Compare this to Amu's personality and weaker desire to return home throughout most of the series.

I can see Sela offering to be Poppy's bodyguard because she's a fighter and lost everything she cared about. I can also see her maternal instincts playing off of Eito and her having more connection to him, whereas Amu is famous for being the "generic show of compassion" character. Amu's fight scenes were well-done, but they didn't resonate as well as it would have with a seasoned fighter such as Sela. Pretty much every scene with Amu would have worked better with Sela due to her personality, drives, and history.

It's the same gripe here that I have over Nico. She's a strong character with a great actress, but she's downplayed throughout most of the show. Poppy, who's more generic in personality, gets more screentime and more developmen eps, even though she never really grows as a person. Even her stronger alter-ego, Asuna, gets vey little to do because it doesn't fit in with how Toei wishes to portray women. I love Nico, and I like Asuna, but Poppy is just a walking trope, so I hve no real interest invested in her.

Oh, and on a final note, I have nothing against any of the actresses, nor how they handle the material given to them. Instead, my complaint is how they're written into a corner that dictates you have to fit a specific mould or you become window dressing. And if you don't believe me, go watch Peggy (MomoRanger) in action and compare it to how she was portrayed in the movie.

I'm old, and my values are from a brief time when we almost achieved equality. Thus, I'm also more biased towards strong, independant female chars (ex. those in TimeRanger, GoRanger, Kamen Rider Stronger, etc.).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

It's not great for you, but in Japan it's too popular and famous Kamen Rider. If not, they don't milk Den-O with many movies and V-Cinema, also put important plot for Den-O in Taisen.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

kangchan wrote:
It's not great for you, but in Japan it's too popular and famous Kamen Rider. If not, they don't milk Den-O with many movies and V-Cinema, also put important plot for Den-O in Taisen.
At this point most people in Japan don't really care about Den-O, the main point is that Momotaros is an easy cameo cause they only have to pay the voice actor to come in for like a couple hours. Any other cameo requires days of shooting and schedule wrangling.
phanhai288
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by phanhai288 »

2/5. one for cute Amu, second for the returning of some fav Super Sentai character.

+The movie really dissapointed me. Amu really has no impact on the plot, yet showed up at the ending scene???
+Why Yakumo?? he is the worst character in Ninninger
+Ex-Aid casts were decent.
+what is the point of naming it "Super Hero Taisen" when only Emu and Hiiro is needed to kill both the bad guys and save the boy
+Lucky was annoying like he always do!
+Why cant they make Narga a bit more relevant in the plot?

Anyway, this is my second time watching it. thank you TVnihon for the sub, and thank you for being patient enough to do this!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I mean, Naaga had a part here. It's definitely more interesting than his current sub plot in the TV series for me.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

windfall wrote:So what was the point of setting the attack in Korea?
Infinius wrote:Did anyone else notice Raimein from Dino Charge/ Kyuuryuger Brave in the final battle with Chou Shocker?
Probably to advertise the Kyoryuger Brave show. Utsusemimaru's changer also used the Kyoryuger Brave sound (Gabu Gaburincho)
Ashki wrote:No Nico! *grrrrrr*
I'm not quite sure about the continuity, but maybe the movie was set before Nico showed up?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
SuperstarEX-Aid

Post by SuperstarEX-Aid »

njb wrote:
Ashki wrote:No Nico! *grrrrrr*
I'm not quite sure about the continuity, but maybe the movie was set before Nico showed up?
NIco showed up like right after Kirya died during the debut of Mighty Brothers XX. Since the movie includes Maximum Mighty X this movie seems to take place after Dan Kuroto's defeat which was like 10 episodes later.

Pros
I really like the joke they made about Jin and Tsubasa looked alike due to the same actor.
kamen rider zolda
Taiga showing up from nowhere and picking a fight with the Kyurangers

Cons
Kirya showing up for only like 1 scene even though I recall him being a big part of the ads
Game World Hiiro just hands the real Hiiro a power up that helps Ex-aid save the day

Return to “Kamen Rider Ex-Aid”