KR Ex-Aid True Ending released

Aids forever!
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Wiki Link

< Ghost | Ex-Aid | Build >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

☆☆☆☆☆
26%
☆☆☆☆
35%
☆☆☆
22%
☆☆
9%
9%

Total votes: 23
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Ex-Aid True Ending released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... rue_Ending

That was probably better than it had a right to be. The action was great. I liked the ninjas and the random (but brief) car chase.

The plot was ridiculous, but what can you do? Ex-Aid's continued problem is there's no real decisions for any of the characters to make. The father can let his daughter die in VR or live and maybe she'll have a hard time in recovery. It's never complicated or nuanced, so the tension's not there (compare this to this week's Build 22).

Didn't they need some BS special thing to defeat Gamedeus? Why was Ex-Aid able to beat him just using his Hyper Muteki form?

Build's cameo is even more tacked on than ever. I can't tell if I prefer this to the arbitrary battles that happen midway in the movie. The problem here is that he fights Ex-Aid and steals his power for no reason.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KR Ex-Aid True Ending released

Post by Catastrophe »

The plot was kind of disjointed. The first half was actually pretty good, apart from why the Ninja Rider was somehow stronger than everyone. But the second half being a Gamedeus redux was lame. Especially since Hyper Muteki solos him. If Emu could use Hyper Muteki the whole movie, why not use it to beat the Ninja Rider straight away? At least come up with some bullshit reason why he can't use it.
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Des_Shinta »

Kind of a dumb movie, a disappointing ending more than a true one, though we've still got the another ending films coming.
Felt no empathy for Madoka or her dad, they were pretty bratty. Kind of screwed up in the same way the last Super hero taisen film did, in forgetting that children cannot legally refuse medical procedures as they are below consent ages; that's up to their parents to decide that and in lieu of their parents or legal guardianship decisions can be made against the patients wishes if it is in the name of preserving life. And yet her Mom seemed to have no say, despite it being Clear by his total absence that Kagenari had abandoned any parental responsibility or rights. From the framing of things, it looks like she'd been refusing treatment for her tumor for some time, when it is best to get it dealt with ASAP lest the complications that were said to be later problems arise.
I know that was the advice given when my Father briefly had cancer, and since they caught it early and rushed him to surgery to get rid of his tumor, he's had no relapse or recurrence in over a decade since.
And for a series that always tried to insist it was at least in part a medical drama...for them to ignore that just to make us try and feel bad for a dumb kid certainly was a significant detraction.
Especially since her reason for not doing so (that sports festival) is a petty reason for rejection. Her doing badly in it would be more up to her, and her refusing treatment would've only made it more likely she'd be less recovered by the time they took place. They usually do those festivals in late September/Early October, this film is set in early August if not earlier, and that's more than enough time to recover from Brain Surgery.
And kaganari..again, abandoned his wife and Kid, hasn't seen either in literal years by his own choice. It's hard to feel for a guy and performing a desperate act to save his kid when he appeared to want nothing to do with them from evidence of his own actions.
As a result, I got more appreciation of things they weren't in any way part in such as the GameDeus++ battles, because it felt like everything around those two was an idiot plot.
In a gaming sense, it felt like Gamedeus' repetition here was in the vein of 'you cleared the game, now you cleared the extra side missions or hidden boss, so come back to fight an even stronger version of the last boss'. I've played Enough RPG's which have done that (the battle network megaman's, some final fantasy games, .hack in certain entries, freaking Sephiroth) that I got the movie's logic behind that, so it didn't bug me.

Similar to what Takenoko said, A part of Ex-aid's problem really was in not properly building character empathy, it always seemed to be something the show put on the backburner. The more you'd see of a character the more they'd try to give which would make them relate-able, but in small doses like what this movie could do, it was pitifully lacking. Hell, half the time they only seemed to really provide it in hindsight, Graphite an exemplar to that. Though From Lupin part 4 that Yuya Takahashi also wrote, that seems to be consistent across his work.

Question on translation choice I don't think I ever saw answered before; For Muteki's transformation jingle, why was 'meteor' chosen for what 'Ryuusei' translates as over 'shooting star'? While I know it can be translated either way so isn't a mistake, I more consistently see 'shooting star' be what is used for that word, case in point being "Ryuusei no Rockman (Shooting star Rockman)" AKA megaman Starforce. And with the form being visually based on an invincibility star powerup/gamehack, wouldn't the latter make more sense?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Des_Shinta wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm Kind of screwed up in the same way the last Super hero taisen film did, in forgetting that children cannot legally refuse medical procedures as they are below consent ages; that's up to their parents to decide that and in lieu of their parents or legal guardianship decisions can be made against the patients wishes if it is in the name of preserving life. And yet her Mom seemed to have no say, despite it being Clear by his total absence that Kagenari had abandoned any parental responsibility or rights. From the framing of things, it looks like she'd been refusing treatment for her tumor for some time, when it is best to get it dealt with ASAP lest the complications that were said to be later problems arise
I doubt she was refusing treatment, (I don't think you can do that with children in Japan anyway?) and when Emu and Poppy were talking at the beginning they said once she got the surgery she'd probably recover, just that with brain tumors it's hard to know how well someone will recover and whether or not they'll come back. They were likely prepping her for treatment when her condition worsened and they had to do the emergency surgery.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

this movie felt like a crappy end on top of another crappy ending from the main series.

The first half was rather meh. Felt rather odd to see this weird VR thing which is just a pseudopromotion for Playstation VR in Japan. The second half didn't feel any better since it's basically a hidden boss fight that was unlocked as soon as the DLC ending was finished.

So Fuma chose not to be with Madoka from birth? what kind of father are you if you care about her that much. What made you not want to be there: work, stress, what is it damn it?

The action was good. The car chase was probably a highlight. Though shouldn't red Gamedeus shouldn't be harder? if regular Gamedeus can curvestomp Ex-Aid Muteki and Para-DX Level 99 until they used Doctor Mighty XX yet this guy gets defeated by Ex-Aid Hyper Muteki no problem.

As for the Build cameo, felt rather unneeded. He just shows up and collects Emu's essence because I need to promote our winter movie tie in product when it happens.

2/5 Could have been better
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was a good, solid movie. It wasn't perfect by any means - and as Takenko notes, it was probably better than it deserved to be - but it turned out well all things considered. It's definitely up there as one of the better KR summer movies.

To get the elephant out of the room, the weakest part here was definitely the plot. The execution was uneven and everything involving Gamedeus is a mess. That said, it was serviceable. And given the effort that has gone into tying the movie to the series proper, it's clear that this isn't the usual case of Toei not giving a damn and just wanting something bombastic. There are some neat sci-fi elements here that don't get quite the development that they should have, particularly living in VR to escape a failing body. And I think I get where they were going with having KR Bad Guy abduct all those other people to fill the virtual world - so that the daughter would have other people to exist with - but it needed to be made more explicit.

And though Gamedeus in retrospect didn't work, I will give the writers credit for trying. It was the right idea, and executed on differently it could have been a strong, meaningful bridge between the series and the movie, and a more meaningful final boss for this movie. I definitely wouldn't mind them trying again. If Gamedeus hadn't been so heavily leveraged in the series itself, then I think it would have worked better here.

Meanwhile I thought it interesting that the plot was split into such distinctive halves. Normally this would make for a narrative mess, but it worked here. Rather than dragging on the VR world for entirely too long, it was dealt with in a timely manner and then things moved on. The drawback is that it didn't tie in to the second half as well as it should have, but like some of the sci-fi elements, I suspect that the idea was there and the development was just a bit underdone. If Gamedeus has been inhabiting Johnny Maxima, then he would have been responsible for instigating all of this, and that should have been made more explicit.

The other interesting outcome of this split is that the requisite movie-exclusive hero form wasn't used to defeat the final boss or shoehorned in as a villain. As a result, not only are they able to "get it out of the way" before the climax of the movie, but it's done in such a way that neatly ties up why we never see it again. It's a VR form, so it can't exist in the real world. With that said I wasn't sold on the design, but I liked the idea of the power itself, and otherwise it was fairly harmless (if short).

Oh, and we got Kamen Rider Poppy! We got her first-thing, in fact. It seems like most series have ignored the girl rider, or at least bury her in the middle somewhere. Instead she's in the thick of things in the very first fight, along with everyone else. At the risk of giving Toei points for simply not doing something stupid, it was a nice change of pace and I would hope not a fluke for the future.

Speaking of riders, what the heck is up with riders with crazy hair for movie villains? We have this guy, and then we have Kamen Rider 15. Both are as ugly as sin.

Moving on, the action was great, as always. Toei brings out the big budget here and it shows. The wire-fu was generally well done, as were the other staged fights. I have fewer nice things to say about the final fight with Gamedeus though; dumb CGI fights are still dumb CGI fights. Oh, and the car chase was fantastic. Not only was it well staged (it was just long enough and didn't drag on), but there was a legitimately good plot reason to have it.

Finally, is it me or was the music and audio mix really on point for this movie? Normally it feels like Toei doesn't know what to do with 5.1 channels and a greater dynamic range. But both were used very well here, with some catchy tunes that weren't just limited to the front speakers.
takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 am Build's cameo is even more tacked on than ever. I can't tell if I prefer this to the arbitrary battles that happen midway in the movie. The problem here is that he fights Ex-Aid and steals his power for no reason.
Purely IMO here, but I prefer it this way. If there has to be a cameo, stop forcing it into the movie itself. That just hurts the plot and screws up the pacing. Tacking it on to the end as a prelude to the winter movie is a cleaner way to do it. Then the summer movie isn't bogged down by the cameo, and the cameo can in turn be used to setup the winter movie. I still don't understand why Build was doing that, but I have to imagine that gets explained in the winter movie, making this one big teaser.
chaossage13
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
Dreamy: Kinji Takigawa
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Persona

Post by chaossage13 »

I agree with a lot that everyone else is saying. Lack of dramatic tension, lack of character sympathy, lack of plot execution... There's a lot that could have made this a better movie, but I'll settle for good popcorn.

- I'm down with the ninjas. In hindsight, I'm kind of surprised ninjas were never included in the main series. Also, I appreciate that they got their own design and weren't just the regular grunts with ninja outfits or re-purposed player rider outfits.
- I'll be honest, I find Lazer, Genm, and Parado pretty attractive and actually prefer their personalities to the rest of the main rider cast so seeing them again was nice. Brave and Snipe's stoicism contest always kind of bothered me.
- One of the first things I thought watching the film was "Isn't there nothing Brave can't cut?" right after they had Poppy and Emu talking about the little girl's surgery. It seemed pretty obvious to me that if the procedure was dangerous and/or difficult, wouldn't their "best surgeon" be the obvious choice from the start and not just a plot point?
- I'm actually confused by Genm and Parado suppressing Gamedeus' powers. Last time, Gamedeus was literally a super bugster strain that wrecked Graphite while he was incubating it, yet they were somehow able to suppress his powers by temporarily sacrificing themselves?
- Speaking of temporary, way to cheapen Genm's sacrifice. They made a pretty big point of showing he was on his last life only to have a "just kidding!" moment later on.
- I get that they had to show off the move exclusive form with a fancy name, but they could have named it "Kamen Rider Mario Paint" and gotten the same results. "Mighty Creator VRX" makes me think of a lot more world manipulation beyond animated paint.
- Didn't Emu and Parado have to reunite to form Hyper Muteki? And what was the point of having the entire cast watching Emu do a beatdown? Was it because they all helped in defeating Gamedeus last time?
- Was no one else giggling at the noises Gamedeus was making as it was taking damage? You would think it would be roars of pain but instead they were the same sound effects as when characters talk in Banjo Kazooie or Yooka Laylee.
- Is it sad that I'm glad Build explained Ex-Aid's name because for some reason I never wrapped my head around the idea that it could stand for "Extreme Aid"?

All in all, when I look at movies (especially Kamen Rider and Super Sentai), I simply ask myself if I was entertained. And, criticisms aside, I was. It was popcorn, good for the moment, but I don't want second helpings. Three stars for the movie plus one more shameless star for the eye candy.
ByronDZero
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Monkey Majik
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: One Piece

Post by ByronDZero »

It was just okay, just like the series. It started out strong and screwed the pooch in the end. And the Build cameo.....WHY?!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

ByronDZero wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 pmAnd the Build cameo.....WHY?!
There is no narrative answer. The practical answer is that Toei has been teasing the next rider in the summer movie for several years now, and they clearly don't intend to stop.
Smart Jason
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Ian Yorkland
Favorite Actor?: Konno Ayuri
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Revenge is sweet
Type: ESTJ Supervisor

Post by Smart Jason »

juz pointing out error. at 59:00, " he changed" Color supposed to b in blue but its is in orange
Smart Jason
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Ian Yorkland
Favorite Actor?: Konno Ayuri
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Revenge is sweet
Type: ESTJ Supervisor

Post by Smart Jason »

no rp??? :'(