Type: ISFJ Protector

Zero -Dragon Blood- 13 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Alt Title - Good but not Great

Last episode rating: 5 (25 votes)
That was easy to calculate, all 5's.

Kind of a bittersweet ending. No happy end for Rei or Alice. I'm not sure how else they could have ended it though.

Some nitpicks. The fights were overly long. Alice spent too much time in the dragon instead of being an active character. Her sudden change of heart felt a little out of character. Poor Loop, if only we had another episode where you were a baby. Oh, and here's Edel again. Not really sure why or how he came out of Loop's body?

What does the little egg mean? Those women from Alice's vision, what are they?

This episode should have been a battle of wills and ideals between Alice and Rei. Instead, it's mostly them fighting the dragon. It was neat to see Rei's Heart Destruction manifest into turning into a dragon as his armor devoured him and the dragon parts. But ultimately, it didn't feel like the fighting served the plot as well as it could have.

Some real beautiful scenes with the dragon and the CGI background. Loved Rekka's solution to imitate Alice's voice. Really liked the scene of Rei breaking through the forest to get to Alice. Not sure how I feel about the end ending with Rei more or less back to his old self. It sort of feels like they should have taken more time to evaluate his mental well-being. Like shouldn't losing Alice make him more broken or shallow than before? Is he back to his old self, used to loss because of Shizuka in the past? Is he suicidal? It's hard to say and it's an important question to answer to understand where he is with his character.

Other good things. Rekka looked like death at the beginning. Liked the effect of Rei's timer running out. 00.0 is the true zero! Rei wearing the white clothes in his dream was also a nice touch.

4 stars, amazing series, amazing lead up, doesn't quite all come together in the end, but it's earned a lot of good will from me. I can't wait to see what they've got next.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Zero -Dragon Blood- 13 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

NOW I want Amemiya's autograph once he's around Monsterpalooza this year. The Lost Soul is easily an awesome moment to watch.

This finale is why I watch GARO.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

The finale was pretty well done. I just didn't understand why they had to bring back Edel for the finale. It seemed like he served no purpose to the plot. I felt bad for Alice at the end and since she just kind of dissolved away (or maybe she turned into that egg?).

The finale gets a 4 out of 5 for me. I just feel like they could have shaved off a few minutes on the fighting scenes and put more time at the end.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

WIthout a doubt, the best of Zero’s solo projects and one of the better series in the Garo universe.

As happy as I was to see the return of the timer, it would have been strange to be emphasized in so many episodes if we hadn’t seen Rei ignore the time limit and go berserk. I did get an inappropriate chuckle of two out of the werewolf-esque makeup they put on him, but they handled all of that really well.

I was really happy with the battle between Loop and Zero. It was a much more satisfying final fight than a random naked lady throwing magic at the heroes, even if we couldn't completely escape random naked ladies being incorporated into Loop's attempt to scorch the planet. I also loved how Zero would grow/match the physical features of a dragon every time he bit into Loop.

But that ending...that was just mean. Yeah, Alice seemed to regret her actions a little bit at the end, but she didn't really deserve a happy ending since she was the mastermind behind so much death and intended destruction. Unfortunately, that meant Rei had to hold Alice in his arms as she disintegrated after he confessed his love for her...because let's face it, giving someone permission to call him by his real name is the closest he could come to professing his love without using the actual words. And then, that last line about the the forest where the Horror was lurking being a good place for flowers to bloom? Quite the suicidal vibe when combined with the conversation in the dream about the egg blooming once he dies.

Edel popping back up was unnecessary. I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruined his death at Rekka's hands, but I'd say it was the biggest misstep in the episode. Just because they had him under contract didn't mean they had to use him.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Total lines said by Kurehi in this series: 0
Total times Kurehi's name is actually said: 0
Actual necessity for said character: 0
Probability that Amemiya just wanted more boobs around: 100%
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

Just did a search and you're right. Kurehi isn't mentioned in any of my scripts. I don't think I've written it once. How about that.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Theory confirmed: Kurehi is a Madou Tool Sex Doll that can't speak.
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

I loved this episode. The Lost Soul form (is that what it's called? I forget) fight was freaking awesome. I do agree it did go on longer than it really probably should have but it was still amazing to watch.

The ending was weird. I was really hoping there'd be some kind of tie in to Makai no Hana but who knows if that'll happen. I kind of wonder if they're going to cover Rei's search for Kouga and Kaoru at some point. That's what I was totally expecting when this series was announced, before they revealed the returning actors only being Rei's, Rekka's, and the guy that runs the bar. I still want to see that, it'd be pretty awesome, and probably more entertaining than a couple of the other recent GARO entries (the anime series and Gold Storm come to mind).

Had they previously established the bar owner was a Makai Priest or just that he was involved in the Makai World, knew what was going on, and gave Rei missions but they never explicitly said if he was just a regular human or Priest before this episode.

I give the episode a 5.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

In our subs we call it Heart Destruction Form.

I think we've known that Bakura is a former Makai Priest since Black Blood.

I feel like anything that has to do with Kouga's return will be all done in a single movie.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

Hm... i agree with Takenoko on this one, Alice needed more development for her switch, which kinda robbed Loop of his character as well.

Though when they were about to fire the mega destroy laser, did Alice say "No" to Loop or Rei?
I assumed it was Loop, but it was unclear.

Anyway, it was a nice ending to an overall great series.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I definitely enjoyed this series. It does kinda suck that in the in Rei lost someone he cared about again. But this will probably cement why he acts the way he does. I'm not sure if Rei is going to fall for someone again.

Also I'm assuming that egg could be Rei and Alice's child? She did somewhat combine with a dragon so she might have traits of a dragon. Their bond or whatever could have formed the egg cause I really don't think they eggs come about from physically sexing.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I'm wondering about the chronological order of this show so is this before Makai no Hana?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Pretty sure it is, since Rei got sucked up in a time-space vortex by the time Makai no Hana comes along.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Pretty good finale, I anticipated that Zero's lost soul form would appear but with an additional dragon upgrade for that form now that I was surprised over,. Sad for Rei to not be with Alice but he has an offspring sorta from that tiny dragon egg though. Really needed a bit more development on Alice with her heel face turn and it's a bit of a shame that Loop kinda got the shaft in this one but it still looked cool. Edit: and I just remember why did Edel appear when he was killed by Rekka and Kagome's brush, and her spirit, by a near by forest. Now I have a few questions for Rei now: will he be referring to himself as Ginga again, is he feeling alright after losing another person he cared for again, what is it, probably nitpicking but still raises some eyebrows
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

A 4, only because the fight went on a bit too long. It's the finale, need more talk-time and resolutions.

Things did get resolved, for the most part, just not perfect. Of course imo.

All in all, good show. Like the armor timer, the wait for the next Garo series begins again.

As always, thanks for the awesome subs!

Return to “Zero -Dragon Blood-”