KyuuRanger Trailer released!

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KyuuRanger Trailer released!

Post by Catastrophe »

I mean at most they'll introduce 1 more to make 10, or if they are breaking precedent then maybe none?

I mean the best part about this is that there is leeway to not have every character in every episode because you'll still have enough to have a good plot.

The other is that we still don't know if we'll have a core 5 or 6 and then some of the others appear more infrequently.

Should still be fun regardless. The mecha design looks sweet and not gimmicky, which is what I'm looking forward to.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Lord do I despise opening this can of worms but I did receive our first complaint on the Twitter, so here I am re-posting what I said to staff. This is not endorsed by takenoko or Lunagel, but nor did they say I'm wrong and a fucking idiot, so take this as you will:
VerusMaya II wrote:
Go-On Macaroni wrote:Not to be "that guy" but, why are we going with Kyuuranger? Is it just to emphasize the number reference in the name or one just really doesn't like Toei's English?
I don't care too much either way, I'm just curious.
I'm assuming for the same reason the group went with Kyouryuuger instead of Kyoryuger.

My guess: when Toei romanizes their titles, they're leaving out the ō and ū macrons which indicate a long sound. To Toei, it's Kyūranger, following modified Hepburn romanization, and later simplified to Kyuranger. For us, we appear to have settled on using traditional Hepburn romanization, expressing this particular long sound in a double vowel. You can read more on this here if you want the finer details.

Comedy answer: we felt suppressed by making it Jyuohger instead of Juuouger so we're lashing out in rebellion.
Combine this with Lunagel's fantasic post about Para-DX vs Paradox to get the general idea of how the team decides on spelling!
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

The trailer looks interesting, and I want to see what happens in episodes 1 and 2.

Thank you for translating this.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it's just one of the baffling things about Japanese to English romanization standards. I mean, why is it Yuri on Ice? Everyone calls the main character Yuuri. Shouldn't it be Yuuri on Ice? I don't watch the show, so I apologize if I'm missing some detail, but there's some serious flaws in the way we write Japanese in English.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Let me give an example of why the u's are important. I heard a story a while ago, of an American in Japan who met a woman named Yoko Ono. He said "Oh, you have the same name as the woman who broke up the Beatles!" The woman looked at him and said, "No, I don't!"

Beatles Yoko Ono is actually pronounced "Youko".

Her name was "Yoko".

The long dipthong sound may feel superfluous to many people but it's incredibly important to distinguish certain words. That u is how you know your vacation is the 4th 四日 (yokka) and not the 8th 八日 (youka). It's how you distinguish advisor 顧問 (komon) from asshole 肛門 (koumon).
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Lunagel wrote:It's how you distinguish advisor 顧問 (komon) from asshole 肛門 (koumon).
My dad ran into a similar problem with Spanish. Instead of telling everyone to have a "prospero año", or "prosperous year", he instead ran around telling everyone to have a "prospero ano", or "prosperous anus", according to every Spanish speaker we came across. Hilarious for everyone else, but I'm sure it was embarrassing for him.

I tend to avoid trailers like the plague to prevent getting an idea before the show/movie even releases, but I saw it on the TVN Facebook and thought "meh, why not?" I'm excited for this one, despite the obvious potential for a catastrophic clusterf**k with 9 team members. It could be a good thing, though: Since there are so many people to explain, it's possible that the MOTW Grind doesn't happen or is much shorter in an effort to focus on the characters. They said they were breaking rules, so i'm looking forward to seeing if they break any rules besides the 5-person starting rule. Plus, I'm in awe of the way the visors have the "stars" in them and can't get over how such a tiny detail adds so much.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Mouri Nobuhiro as main writer for this series... The last 2 years fail with Shimoyama Kento and Koumura Junko with team of 5, I wonder how Mouri Nobuhiro can take this big hat team of 9.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

kangchan wrote:Mouri Nobuhiro as main writer for this series... The last 2 years fail with Shimoyama Kento and Koumura Junko with team of 5, I wonder how Mouri Nobuhiro can take this big hat team of 9.
Interesting. Mouri has never been a main writer for a series before, has he? He wrote the fantastic KR Yongou, which gives me hope. At the same time KyuuRanger (obviously) isn't targeted at the same audience, and will have all the ups and downs of a weekly series.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

the mecha only seemed to consist of 5 so im hoping they have 9 off the bat but combo into different modes as situation calls

warriors of hope? constellations? yes the saint seiya common ground is there. especially the chosen via the stars like how the clothes chose who wore them.

they said it was an evolution of super sentai and they were going to smash the usual format. on a bigger scale likely means they wont be solely on earth or just 1 planet. in fact it ALMOST in hindsight, came off like they might not be on earth at all as the jark matter guys have taken over the 88 star systems?
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

CaptainTalon449 wrote:Looks like 2017 is going to be a good year for space. Kyuuranger, Guardians 2, Star Wars The Last Jedi
Oh great, you've flipped my cynicism switch -___-'

Onore, business tactics!! *shakes fist*
tr0jance
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayuko Arisue
Favorite Band: Loaded Diaper
My boom: Imagination
Quote: (silently fades in shadows)

Post by tr0jance »

I'm already digging their Mecha. Please be good.
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

ViRGE wrote:
kangchan wrote:Mouri Nobuhiro as main writer for this series... The last 2 years fail with Shimoyama Kento and Koumura Junko with team of 5, I wonder how Mouri Nobuhiro can take this big hat team of 9.
Interesting. Mouri has never been a main writer for a series before, has he? He wrote the fantastic KR Yongou, which gives me hope. At the same time KyuuRanger (obviously) isn't targeted at the same audience, and will have all the ups and downs of a weekly series.
Am I off or has that been a trend for the past few series of Toku? People having never been a main writer becoming a main writer?
Hmm, I do hope he does well, sadly never got to watch Yongou.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Draccy wrote:
ViRGE wrote:Interesting. Mouri has never been a main writer for a series before, has he? He wrote the fantastic KR Yongou, which gives me hope. At the same time KyuuRanger (obviously) isn't targeted at the same audience, and will have all the ups and downs of a weekly series.
Am I off or has that been a trend for the past few series of Toku? People having never been a main writer becoming a main writer?
Eh, it's not too new, Arakawa and Toshiki Inoue both got their start doing either one-off episodes or subplots before becoming head writers themselves. I believe Kobayashi also started on Metal Heroes herself? before getting Gingaman in the 90's.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Draccy wrote:Am I off or has that been a trend for the past few series of Toku? People having never been a main writer becoming a main writer?
Maybe Toei's going downhill?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:
Draccy wrote:Am I off or has that been a trend for the past few series of Toku? People having never been a main writer becoming a main writer?
Maybe Toei's going downhill?
I'd rather not entertain that thought...

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”