KyuuRanger Space.01 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
3%
3%

Total votes: 59
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

Jyuohger finale result: 3.30 / 5 (23 votes)

Hmmm. Feels pretty good so far. I have my reservations, but so far they're just nitpicks. Let's start with the good stuff.

It seems very high production value so far. Some real great effects with the fights and the mecha. They do a pretty good job differentiating between the different ranger's fighting styles. This was especially true with the mobile Ookami versus the muscular Oushi. Some real gorgeous backgrounds too.

I like how they made time for Garou's story. Yes, please take the time to flesh out the different characters. The fight and talk between Lucky and Garou on the beach was nice. Something that I'm already noticing is that there's so much to take in, it's pretty hard to get a read on how I feel about things. It's pretty frantic already, which makes me worried.

Red's transformation. Well, someone's seen Guardians of the Galaxy. But it was a pretty cool transformation. Points for style.

I like Lucky for the most part. He's proactive, he's energetic (maybe bordering a bit on the annoying side). He's happy-go-lucky, which tends to work in a Sentai Red role. Just don't make him so dumb that he doesn't know about the group invading the whole galaxy. I know you need to introduce it to the viewer somehow, but that was silly. And please, him saying his name again and again like he's a damn Pokemon is old. Did you guys learn nothing from Ninninger? That got old in like less than 10 minutes, and it'll be worse in English when we translate all the Japanese words for luck into luck. Cut that the fuck out or make Lucky talk less.

Love the weapons. Red's greatsword is cool. I get that green's is suppose to be like a chameleon tongue, but I feel like it's a weapon mismatch, since the yellow guy is a swordfish. He should have the fencing sword.

Man, those cockpits are great. That's a pretty good innovation. And the mecha battle was pretty fun. I wonder how dynamic those are going to be, since we're going to be planet hopping. The different limbs doing different things was also awesome. If you're going to give me 9 people, you better make them stand out as individuals in terms of character and powers. At least for the mecha and fighting that's covered.

I'm a bit worried about the characterization. As the long girl, Hame (pronounced ha-me) is bubbly, but a bit on the annoying side. Pink seems fussy. Ox guy likes justice, I guess? Don't know anything about the fancy yellow guy besides that he cooks. Those guys are going to get a backstory, right?

Speaking of the writing, watch it with those kyuu and orb puns. Don't do it! Don't do it!

I love the opening. The ending I don't like at all. And it feels like the ending goes on too long.

Promising start. I see some things that I'd like worked on, fixed for the future, but nothing that takes away from the fun of the episode. 5 / 5 lucky stars.

Edit: I had to check our own wiki for the names of the characters. It might take me a while to remember them all.
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Uchuu_Sentai_KyuuRanger

Spada thinks there aren't enough cooks? But what... if there are too many cooks?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.01 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Firstly, again, Lucky pokespeaking his name all the time is the worst idea this show has made. 2nd, DO NOT REPEAT the same mistake of making the Reds the overpowered ones, Toei! Sure, he's getting powerups later, but that's as far as it goes! Give the other rangers the opportunity to shine, in both story and fighting!! Writer Mouri, you've learned from the likes of Gen Urobuchi while he wrote Gaim. DON'T screw this up.

Glad to hear Kazuya Nakai, Yuki Ono, Akio Otsuka and MAO-chan as main rangers. Action's nice for the first episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Solid, fun introductory episode. Visually, this was such a treat. The effects are awesome. I hope they didn’t blow the budget on the first episode, because everything from the swirling galaxy effect when they pop out of the cockpits, the hyperspace-esque effect in the transformation, to all the sparkles was a feast for the eyes. The downside is that when they revert to a practical effect, like that lava when Shishi Voyager first appears, it looks downright silly. Hopefully they’ll find a way to balance it out.

The team seems promising. I like what we’ve seen of the personalities from our first six (even if Raptor doesn’t have her KyuuTama yet). However, I’ve watched the episode several times now, and each time I get a little more worried that the writing team is going to fall into the trap of overusing verbal tics for each character rather than meaningful dialogue, i.e. Hame calling everything “funny”, Lucky yelling out “lucky”, and even Spada’s cooking references. Actually, that last one was kind of impressive, but they still need to remember that catchphrases do not equal character development.

One running gag I hope they keep incorporating is Lucky’s opponents being beaten in ways that are unexpectedly “lucky” for him. We already had him crash-land through a crowd of grunts, accidentally knock-out two grunts, and later have two higher-level grunts get taken out by a wave. I’m hoping the stunt crew gets creative with that.

The battle at the end was the most fun I’ve had with a mecha fight in a couple years. The gyroscoping of the cockpits is really cool, and I love that we got so many POV shots from inside the cockpits to see how they were monitoring the battle. I also love that 3/5 of KyuuRen-Oh was still able to fight because the legs weren't needed at first while they were jetting around in space.

Three brief points about the costuming. First, I love the suits. I’m sure this was touched on in pre-series discussions that I didn’t read, but customizing each suit a little bit to fit the constellation and/or character (and the sparkly visors!) was a great touch. Second - I love the team jackets and am so disappointed that they’re so ridiculously expensive on Premium Bandai. I missed Champ’s at first, but having his as a cape might make it my favorite. Finally, I was really amused that they opted to put face-paint on so many of the background extras to make them feel more like aliens. Oh, a fourth point - I wonder why the basic grunts have three different colors. We didn't really learn anything about the Shogunate other than the names of two people.

Probably my biggest criticism of the episode is the ending theme, of all things. The dance is kinda bad, and the way they warped the footage really bothers my eyes. Ironically, the ending for the Precure series that started last week has a similar reliance on word/syllable repetition, but I like that much better. On the other hand, the opening theme was much catchier than I expected and was used nicely during the mecha battle. Even though the whole team shows up at one point or another in the title sequence, I liked that you can pick out a couple spots where the sequence is obviously intended to evolve as the members actively join the team.

Speaking of the opening, that first scene touched on Earth being conquered along with everyone else in the 88 Constellations, but no mention of it after that point other than the ending theme. I wonder if we’re going to spend the whole series planet-hopping until the climax, which will finally bring the audience back to Earth. I’m also curious if we may occasionally visit planets that have been mentioned in older series along the way.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I also wonder how Earth centric this series will be in the long run. It seems like some of the references will have to at least place them in this solar system?
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

That was a fun episode. Great effects, ranger suits look cool. And an epic Red star change from the meteor.

So good to hear Luka's voice again, but it's a different one.

I give this episode a lucky five. And by the way, thumbs down to ED theme.

Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Positives: Champ, Hammy, Spada, Raptor, & Garu, mainly Garu and Champ, suits, Lucky's debut in ranger form, Kyurenoh, the big boss of Jark Matter, weapons, theme song

Negatives: Lucky's catchphrase fuck his catchphrase it gives me migraines faster than Takaharu being fired up, pacing,

Neutral: Lucky, more on the negative side for me but hey he can at least get a new ranger to help join the others

Overall great episode but has the idiot red ranger problem but I'll be fine
Last edited by Kurokage X on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Hanadi Sensei
Favorite series: Toqger, W, Drive, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Shinkenger, Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Mio of ToQger and Tsukasa of LuPat
Favorite Band: Hello Sleepwalkers
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Cosplay ROM

Post by Hanadi Sensei »

The opening song is stuck in my head~ Tellin' me this is gonna be a good series.
I hope Lucky can bring out the leadership within him in the coming episodes coz I personally can't see a great leader in him now.
Perhaps just because of his annoying catchphrase... :lol:
Too early to say anyway.
Garou's definitely my favorite so far...
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

This series has a lot of potential. At the beginning of Jyuohger, I couldn't help but feel like they were taking way too many ideas from past Sentai, especially Timeranger, and Gaoranger. This feels like territory we've never been in before. The idea of being on a different planet every week is unique as are their mecha designs. I'm excited to see where they go with this series.

My biggest worry about this series has been how they would handle a group with nine core members and, though it's still a worry, they mitigated it a bit by going into Garou's story in the first episode and not introducing four of the members. Those are good signs to me as it's indicating someone had enough sense to realize they couldn't adequately introduce us to nine characters in the first episode. Hopefully they'll take a page from Kakuranger
Spoiler
and go slow on the introductions.

Lucky reminds me a lot of Daigo from Kyoryuger, which is a good thing for me.

Am I the only one who thinks the big baddie this season seems like a ripoff of the Emperor from Star Wars?

I'm really excited about this series to see where it goes. It feels like the polar opposite of Jyuohger to me and I'm really excited about sentai again.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

This episode must have been easy to write. Most of it's just Yossha Lucky repeated over and over. That guy really needs to shut up or he's quickly going to become another Takaharu. Being sandwiched in between those two really makes me appreciate Yamato.

Also, can I ask why you went for Garou and Hame? Are they not Garu and Hamii/Hammy? Or is there something I'm missing?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Also, can I ask why you went for Garou and Hame? Are they not Garu and Hamii/Hammy? Or is there something I'm missing?
Garou is the French word for "werewolf", pronounced "garu"

Hame we assume is derived from the middle part of cHAMEleon (say it out loud)
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Not quite what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. They sure managed to pack a lot of stuff into one episode, didn't they?

Amusingly, there's already a Pokemon called "Lucky". I wouldn't be surprised if some Japanese fanart featuring the two of them showed up, sooner or later.

I get the feeling that the show will eventually be Earth-centric, but it would be interesting if they did go to different worlds for most of the series, leaving Earth as the "final battleground" towards the end. It would certainly give the set designers a chance to flex their imaginations, especially in mecha battles, as it wouldn't be the usual Tokyo skyline model or mountainous wilderness we see so much of.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this series will bring.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So pretty solid opening episode. Really like the OP and the suits are great in action. I audibly chuckled during Yellows role call.

I have two complaints. The first is generic loud Red complaints. That lucky thing is going to get old pretty quickly. Why does Toei not know how to do hotblooded reds that aren't loud and annoying?

Secondly has to do with the pacing. I feel like that this would have been better if the first episode was about Lucky becoming a KyuuRanger and then the 2nd focuses on Garou's story. I get that they wanted to plug the robot in the first episode but Garou doesn't really do much after transforming. I do like how his suit is more furry than the others though.

Other than that, it was fairly solid. I hope that the members we have get fleshed out a little before others start joining, and I am looking forward to what happens with the rest of the series.
PTM966666
Adventure
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mikie Hara
Favorite Actor?: Tom Hanks
Favorite Band: Coldrain
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by PTM966666 »

Lucky's "Yossha Lucky" phrase could be a great idea for a drinking game.

Lol, evil empire vs the rebellions, I'm smelling Star Wars, even the shogun guy looks like Palpatine.

I like the OP, the ED is weird and the dancing has a lot of hip moves, guess Japanese kids gonna have great sunday morning.

I like Lucky and Garou conversation, hope Lucky wouldn't break his promise.

Damn, ShishiRed meteor landing was pretty cool.

Overall, great start, hope they keep it up, 5/5.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I liked the episode as well, a nice start for the series although i do wish they had split it up into two parts. Just to build some characters.
I'm very curious how much of the budget they blew on this episode xD

The combining mecha scene was awesome, and i applaud the creativity with the gyroscopic cockpits.

omg I am in love with the ending theme.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote:
HowlingSnail wrote: Also, can I ask why you went for Garou and Hame? Are they not Garu and Hamii/Hammy? Or is there something I'm missing?
Garou is the French word for "werewolf", pronounced "garu"

Hame we assume is derived from the middle part of cHAMEleon (say it out loud)
For etymology and other name stuff, you can always check our trivia section on our wiki:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Uchuu_Sent ... ger#Trivia

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”