Ratings Poll: Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How are you finding KyuuRanger?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ A Lucky Star
27%
☆☆☆☆ Better than Michelin
19%
☆☆☆ Three Stars
19%
☆☆ Binary Star
23%
☆ Death Star
13%

Total votes: 48
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ratings Poll: Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger

Post by takenoko »

It's February 1st, one week before the last episode of KyuuRanger

30 votes total, average 3.73 out of 5. Let's see how that changes with the final episode release.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Characters: D
With the exception of Lucky there was very little actual characterization of any of them and basically no growth. The characters are still fundamentally the same as they were at the beginning of the series (maybe with the exception of Champ and Stinger, although the former basically waltzed right through his issues). Raptor was criminally underutilized and Spada was a walking food pun. And this is a personal grudge, but what the hell is Lucky actually fighting for? He comes in the first episode like "you guys are cool, i'mma fight with you". What would've happened if Jark Matter offered him cookies? It's shoddy writing at best and a ridiculous lack of moral compass at best.

Minor Characters: F
We got the one blonde wig fairy chick, Lucky's Dad and maybe Jirou? There wasn't a lot of interaction with the surrounding people and barely any reoccurring characters.

Villains: C+
The designs were pretty standard for the most part, Don Armage's final form is pretty underwhelming, but they did do a fantastic job with Scorpio, who probably was the best part of the series. Madaako gets a mention for most ridiculous character quirk.

Movies: C-
Mediocre. The movies are almost never any good so it's not really worth complaining about them. Episode of Stinger was a total schlock-fest that really focused wayyyyyy too much on highlighting an underage girl's assets.

Series plot: C
Maybe if they weren't stuck on Earth for half the series? Most of the time it was just your standard MOTW schtick. There weren't really any standout episodes that I can think of.

Toys: B
At least someone was pulling their weight. The design of the KyuuTama is pretty cool and I like that their weapons are all basically the same thing just in 9 different formations. There was some honest effort going in there, especially considering how difficult it is trying to give personality to 12 different weapons plus mech combinations.

Overall: D
Weak plot combined with almost nonexistent characterization makes for a series that you forget almost as soon as it's over, with exception of the catchphrases that were repeated ad infinitum. And I know I've said this for the past couple series, but it's a SENTAI. SENTAI. THAT MEANS EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER AND WE DON'T GIVE EVERY SINGLE FUCKING POWER UP AND CHARACTER FOCUS TO RED.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 am Episode of Stinger was a total schlock-fest that really focused wayyyyyy too much on highlighting an underage girl's assets.
Not to defend that half-baked movie, but wasn't the female lead a couple of years older than Stinger's actor? Maybe you're thinking of a different Toei movie?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 am Not to defend that half-baked movie, but wasn't the female lead a couple of years older than Stinger's actor? Maybe you're thinking of a different Toei movie?
Yeah, that actress was at least 25. What movie were you thinking of?

>With the exception of Lucky there was very little actual characterization of any of them and basically no growth.

See me after class to discuss the proper definition of characterization.

>Minor Characters: F We got the one blonde wig fairy chick, Lucky's Dad and maybe Jirou? There wasn't a lot of interaction with the surrounding people and barely any reoccurring characters.

To my surprise, Jirou was only in two episodes. We see him once, wonder where he went for the series, then we see him again. We don't even see who takes care of him, so he's pretty much an orphan wandering the street to me, no matter what anyone tells me.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 am Not to defend that half-baked movie, but wasn't the female lead a couple of years older than Stinger's actor? Maybe you're thinking of a different Toei movie?
Was she? Dang, I can't tell Asian ages... Regardless, still shot very skeevily
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 am>With the exception of Lucky there was very little actual characterization of any of them and basically no growth.

See me after class to discuss the proper definition of characterization.
Hey, I didn't say it was *good* characterization.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 am

Well it's a Sakamoto piece in all its glory. So yeah, that's about par for the course...

And aren't you the one in Japan? You if anyone should at least be slightly better at this than the rest of us.:P To me everyone looks 20 unless they look 50 (and Ming-Na Wen may as well be immortal).
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 am To my surprise, Jirou was only in two episodes. We see him once, wonder where he went for the series, then we see him again. We don't even see who takes care of him, so he's pretty much an orphan wandering the street to me, no matter what anyone tells me.
Now I have this image in my head of a 7 year old Japanese kid secretly waging a guerrilla war at night against the occupying Jark Matter forces, Home Alone-style.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am Hey, I didn't say it was *good* characterization.
Well, let's play this game. Without describing what the character looks like, what the character's role in the movie/TV show is, or their profession, I want you to describe Lucky's character to someone who hasn't seen the show before.
(I'm stealing this from Red Letter Media http://redlettermedia.com/phantom-menac ... -outtakes/ )
ViRGE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 am To me everyone looks 20 unless they look 50 (and Ming-Na Wen may as well be immortal).
Ah, seeing her on Shield has been a true treat. I need to watch this season, I'm so behind.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 am
Lunagel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am
Well it's a Sakamoto piece in all its glory. So yeah, that's about par for the course...

And aren't you the one in Japan? You if anyone should at least be slightly better at this than the rest of us.:P To me everyone looks 20 unless they look 50 (and Ming-Na Wen may as well be immortal).
30+ I got, I can usually tell at least a close range for the older ages but damned if they don't just hit 16 and then look the same for the next 15 years.
takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 am Well, let's play this game. Without describing what the character looks like, what the character's role in the movie/TV show is, or their profession, I want you to describe Lucky's character to someone who hasn't seen the show before.
Happy-go-stupid who has more focus put on him than he deserves.
Makai_Knight
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Mele, Moune, Sela
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Makai_Knight »

After watching the final episode I'll give this show 4 stars. I really liked it, but I felt it could be better. 12 rangers were way too many. There could have been more focus for some characters. What was the point in making Raptor a Kyuranger when she rarely showed up transformed?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Final rating is a 2. It's a disappointing show in the same sense that Ex-Aid is, there are a lot of neat ideas that get fucked up due to lazy writing. It's a shame, because the ideas, suit and robot designs and the music are all top notch.

Both the main heroes and the antagonists were woefully underdeveloped. In later episodes they painted it like Lucky and Garu were best buddies, despite the fact that the most they interacted was when they slugged it out in the first episode. Champ and Stinger had a better developed partnership due to the Scorpio arc, but then that's kind of it for the show. I found it hard to care about most of the heroes because they have so few arcs were they get to do something cool. Balance is really the only Kyuranger that comes to mind that has any presence no matter the episode. Him and Naga are great, but they were billed as a pair right at the start and have a pre-existing relationship.

Jark Matter is the same. The thing that makes villains from other series endearing is that we get to know them over the course of the show. Here they just keep killing them off and keep Madako, who'd I'd argue is a pretty lame character. Don Armarge also goes from being this terrifying creature to Tsurugis lame crow friend to whatever. It looked like they were going onto some cool plot thread about him coming back to life and no one remembering some period of history, but they dropped it.

The main issue the series suffers from is there are 12 heroes and Lucky still eats up most of the focus. I feel like this could be fixed by having a core team of 6 and having the other 6 appear periodically. I mean, Raptor does fuck all as it is when it came to fighting, so surely they could have cut out a few more as well. My other fix would be just to not have Lucky at all, and have the start of the series be the first Kyurangers reviving Tsurugi and him being the Red. He comes across as more of a natural leader and his catch phrases aren't over the top like Lucky.

Like big boss Take said in the release thread, nobody that worked on a kids show expects this level of dissection of it, but I feel the push towards pushing merchandise in the previous 3 years or so is really starting to impact the quality of each individual show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 amMy other fix would be just to not have Lucky at all, and have the start of the series be the first Kyurangers reviving Tsurugi and him being the Red. He comes across as more of a natural leader and his catch phrases aren't over the top like Lucky.
That's a great idea. Like we literally have two reds. Let's trim the fat.

Luna was also telling me her idea for how she'd fix the series.

Second part of poll, a thought experiment: How would you fix any problems that you perceive are wrong with the series?
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

This series had a lot of potential going for it. With Kyuranger wrapping up I can't help but feel underwhelmed

Characters
The characters are mixed. Lucky having the most focus was a bad choice considering this is a twelve member sentai team and he took most of the focus. I know sentai tend to be red ranger focused but this is on the level of Kyoryuger with red ranger focus but this is the worse case of it. Weirdly I don't hate Lucky but I can't like him either. The other members are either just there like Spada, Hammie, & Raptor, are fine like Naga, Balance, Stinger, and Kotaro who might as well be the best of all, and then there's Garou who was the biggest disappointment for having an interesting premise only to be severely reduced to a complete joke.

Villains
These guys are also a mixed bag. Don Armage is off as he appears to have some good intention but contradicts with who he is in the final episode. Stinger may be the best among them all as he posed a decent threat and was ended a bit soon personally. The other villains aren't as memorable. So much so that I can't even remember their names except Madako and the Sagittarius guy thanks to his voice actor Takaya Kuroda.

Suits
I love the suits. The space suit works well and the non human looking members have unique features to differentiate them from the humanoid members. Shishi Red Orion I must say is the best suit by far.

Movies
I don't have much memory with the Stinger one. The main movie on the other hand could have been better.

Final verdict: C at its best, F at its worst, and D overall. To repeat this series had a lot of potential but it doesn't live up to it
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

To summarize:

- Cheerful show despite the post-apocalyptic setting with most of the tragedy confined to backstories. Just what I want.
- Felt a lot like One Piece meets Fourze
- Protagonist's catchphrase was as repetitive as Takaharu's, but felt a lot less grating. Probably because he does not grunt like a caveman.
- Overall, the best Sentai I have had the pleasure to watch for quite a while. Beats both Kyoryu and ToQ for "best since Gokaiger".

5/5
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I wanted to like this show despite Lucky being Lucky and the writers giving him almost every BIT of attention, but, once past episode 20, I felt I made the wrong decision to watch it seriously.
How would you fix any problems that you perceive are wrong with the series?
-Not have a majority of missions be on the planet Earth. Even if Earth's important, there are many more planets that Jark Matter have for bolstering the empire and as such, there need to be more missions (newer sets IRL) on other Jark Matter-invaded planets.
-Decent-to-great character development for the other Rangers, like Kotaro contacting Jirou once and a while, Shou recruiting more people for Rebellion, Raptor and Spada's shiptease, Stinger and Champ working out their differences even further before they become bash brothers, Tsurugi or Raptor creating new devices for the Rangers to use in their missions considering the former's scientific capabilities. I don't like them relegated like how they did it with Episode of Stinger.
-Considering budget for monster designs, more modifiable Tsuoindabee as MOTWs rather than unique monster designs. Save said designs for such monsters like the Karo/Dai-Shogun.
-Less dragging on the Kyuutama acquisition episodes. You want those three key Kyuutamas to find that pesky Argo ship?? Here's a better suggestion considering where Tsurugi was hidden in: KEEP THEM ON EARTH. Not on sight of course, but on the planet where your living legend sleeps.
-Do not use the time-travel aspect. The Rangers should investigate why Don Armage is an immortal creature and provide means to find and kill it for real rather than going back in time to try and eliminate him.
-Darth Aslan should not be a thing. Scorpio was an attempt to have a Vader-type character (not-so-memorable performance by Yuki-sama but he looked cool) in the show and it should have been done from there.
-Rather than relying on Lucky's Voyager for the Kyuurenoh battles, why not have another type of central Voyager? There should have been a Kyuutama that can summon such a Voyager and it doesn't have to be Kerberos.

2/5. I'd rather play XCOM 2.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>-Considering budget for monster designs, more modifiable Tsuoindabee as MOTWs rather than unique monster designs. Save said designs for such monsters like the Karo/Dai-Shogun.

Didn't this series have a crapton of Tsuyoindabee as it is? 7 out of the 42 listed in the monster page is a variant: http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kyuranger/enemy/cur/

-Less dragging on the Kyuutama acquisition episodes. You want those three key Kyuutamas to find that pesky Argo ship??

But what excuse will they have to travel to different planets if they don't have three McMuffins to find?

-Do not use the time-travel aspect. The Rangers should investigate why Don Armage is an immortal creature and provide means to find and kill it for real rather than going back in time to try and eliminate him.

Man that was confusing. Why did we watch Armage die twice and learn nothing from it? And while it's cool that Lucky is related to a great hero, it wasn't developed enough to dedicate a whole arc to it.

-Darth Aslan should not be a thing. Scorpio was an attempt to have a Vader-type character (not-so-memorable performance by Yuki-sama but he looked cool) in the show and it should have been done from there.

Or he should have been more of a thing? He gets unmasked within the episode that he was introduced. He should have been harassing them for a bunch of episodes before that happened. It's very bizarrely handled.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”