KyuuRanger Space.04 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:21 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
3%
6%

Total votes: 32
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.46 / 5 (26 votes)

Alternate Title - Welcome to Earf

Decent episode. Nice to see Safari Curry is back. I suppose we can translate the Jark Matter signs for it now too.

This was a real good episode characterwise. Everyone seemed a lot less superficial, dare I say, more Balanced? But seriously though, Raptor's stop being shrill, Lucky and the commander weren't too annoying, Spada even got a little spotlight, if only to be a oppressive point of view. I actually liked Lucky a bit in this episode as a red, and didn't find his viewpoints too questionable or naive.

So we're on Earth. It's a big deal, but why? We're limited to 5 members, because the lottery said so. I don't like calling things lazy, but that's lazy. It literally sounds like the first thing the writer thought of to limit it to 5 members, instead of letting limiting factors happen naturally.

I also didn't like the fact that the people of Earth hated the KyuuRangers. Show, don't tell. Maybe instead of hearing about Jark Matter roughing you up, show it to the audience? Also, it seems kind of dumb for Lucky to spout his nonsense on these people, since he wasn't tortured or had his kids taken away. Maybe try listening to the people you're liberating, or you're no matter than Jark Matter in a sense.

Oh hey... Raptor writes... in English. Given that they created a whole language to use for signs and stuff, that seems like an odd detail. I do hope it foreshadows something about the secret of Earth, but I'm worried that it's just the visuals guy being lazy. "We can't write it in Japanese, that would make it look too Earthlike for the kids. I know, I'll write it in a foreign language, like English!"

What happened to Hame during the mecha sequence? You see her summon it, but her and her mecha never appear during that sequence.

But these are nitpicks on an otherwise good and entertaining episode. I just hope they keep improving on the characters and the writing and stop relying so much on jokes, catchphrases, and stereotypes.

Preview
Spoiler
If Stinger joins in the next episode, I'll be geki-oko pyunpyun. (It's the thing from the last episode where Hame accuses Raptor of puffing her cheeks when she gets mad)
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Re: KyuuRanger Space.04 released

Post by Draccy »

I think the Kyulette isn't so bad starting off. Yea, cheap way to focus on certain characters, but maybe come around the 10s or so, we start to get team divisions and the like.
Or around the time we get two individual mechs for better splits to happen; or we get into missions of three and four Kyurangers that don't necessarily need mecha battles.

Spoiler
Takatora appears, if only he was actually the orange Kyuranger.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Welp, seems like they're gong to be on earth for a while.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

The show's been decent up to this point and I enjoyed Raptor's plot, but I found the idea that, with a nine person team, they can only use five at a time to be insulting and lazy to the max, especially since
Spoiler
we clearly see in the preview that, next week, all nine of them are together at the same time
. What's even the point of having a nine-member team if you're going to come up with lazy stuff like this. I'm hoping it improves in the coming weeks, but I just found the fact that Balance and Naga had to stay behind on the ship because reasons to be so distracting I could barely pay attention.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

Is anyone bothered by the fact that Earth went to Hell? There are over two hundred Super Sentai veterans and dozens of Kamen Riders to defend the planet and yet Earth fell. What happened to the fighting spirit? This is the problem with summer movies because certain details aren't even touched until you see the team up. Did something really messed up happen and things are worse than after The Great War?

As for Raptor, it was nice to see her gain powers because you knew she would and she was stuck on the ship. I do find her pigtail meters to be oddly placed because there have been robots with breasts before. The fact that the meters can move with her emotions brings up a few naughty thoughts. I hope that Raptor will be a strong pink ranger and not the "girl" of the team and get into a lot of trouble with minimal time to shine.

-snip-
Last edited by Lunagel on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No talking about future characters
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

Was I the only one who paused the video to read what she wrote?
ImageImage
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

I really love this episode. I wouldn't say that Spada was wrong, he had good intentions and he actually cared about Raptor.
The action was great too, the use of CG for Raptor's flight scene isn't too overdone but still entertaining to watch. (Although I half expected the Telescopium Kyuutama to be some sort of sniper rifle or rocket launcher. lol)

Seeing them eating at that curry restaurant again was nostalgic, but why didn't they bring Raptor in that scene and make some Gokaiger references? :(
I think my only disappointment with this episode is the roulette thing, and... they're back on Earth again. I hope they wouldn't be staying for the rest of the show, but seeing that huge number of commander bases already crushed my hopes.

Also, after reading the previous threads: Why are people having an issue over Naga's acting?
He's supposed to be unfamiliar with emotions, so I'd say that he's actually doing a good job with it.
His race decided to lock away their emotions for the sake of preventing wars, so him having inappropriate or overexaggerated emotions on some scenes actually fits his character because he's still trying to learn.
(Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but seeing how it seemed like a popular opinion kinda bugged me.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

redfarmer wrote: What's even the point of having a nine-member team if you're going to come up with lazy stuff like this.
I think the writer realized it and made a joke on it. But that doesn't turn it into a get out of jail free card, it's even worse now that you've pointed it out to the audience, in my opinion.
lostinbrave wrote:Was I the only one who paused the video to read what she wrote?
Me and Luna definitely did. Thanks Google Translate. Although, I wonder if the fact that she writes in English instead of Jark Matter or some other alien language is a hint that she's from Earth originally?
Dragg wrote:Also, after reading the previous threads: Why are people having an issue over Naga's acting?
Because it's so awkward to listen to and there are examples of alien species who don't have emotion who do it so much better. It's also played up for bad jokes like Naaga getting the emotions confused and having the wrong expression on his face. It's something that makes the writing, directing, and acting all seem misguided, because it completely throws me out of the moment each time.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I thought the Kyulette was for determining the mecha combination of the day?

Anyway, it was a nice episode. An improvement pacing wise from before. :)

So Orion go can speak... interesting.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

why 5? because mecha needs five parts which means Lucky is almost always goes out there unless they have a replacement body which they might among all of those kyuu-tama's from commander last week. Where is gokaigers...........it feels so much like gokaigers now only we saw part of team being collected in first 3 episodes rather than they directly coming to earth. I think Naga is on something about commander he might not be the Goofy as he made the team made believe so? time will tell but i am %45 percent certain 10th ranger will be commander as purple ranger constellation? Dragon ofcourse :P

I like Naga's acting it fits to character unlike something forced like Vulcan's or Data from star trek.

Someone asked what happened to earh sicne it should have 200+ sentai and god know how many kamen rider. First sentai and kamen rider worlds were different ones so it eliminates kamen riders having anything to do with this event. For first part though if you are going to nithpick about previous sentais than before 200+ teams you should ask where are all the jyumans since we didn't see either cube structures or any animal heads in the first episode or in this one.to begin with every sentai should be unrelated except summer movies which were seperate entities themselves they combined them together at gokaigers for the first time so maybe they are taking a different route this time with no other sentai present on the earth. Not to mention for some reason although world wide events happen most of the sentai teams are unaware of other sentai teams in fact i think only goseigers made a comment of shinkengers during movie about they knew who they were and that was it.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So the set up implies that they will be on Earth for a while, which is a shame because the space theme gives it so much more to use. I do remember reading somewhere that they have to set most of these series in Japan so I guess they can't work around it.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that the members deployed are limited. I mean, it makes sense because you can't really balance between getting enough development with them all on screen, but then why not stagger the introduction of each of the members rather than introduce them all within the span of an episode and then leave them on the base? It's a shame Balance got shafted because he's easily the best character so far.

Also, again, Lucky is the one that has to help Raptor. God forbid any of the others are useful.
Aberration
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Dreamy: Naomi
Favorite Band: Crowded House

Post by Aberration »

I agree that they really should've waited before introducing the full roster of 9. When the Kyulette opened up, my first thought was, "How boring, it's just the original 5." But then I thought, they haven't even really established how the original 5 relate to each other, and they're throwing in these other 4 people as well. Too late to fix that though, just gotta hope we can get decent characterization for all of them by the time the series is over.

I'm curious if Raptor is really in love with Spada, or if that's just a one-off joke for the sake of the video. (Didn't realize Raptor is voiced by Luka's actress, they're such different characters)

I don't see how Naga's bad jokes are worse than Lucky's. With Naga, there are different facets to explore as he adds new emotions to his playbook. With Lucky, the joke is that everything goes his way, which is the antithesis of drama.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

MAOs big money has been voice acting for a while, but she's good enough that she doesn't sound the same for most of her roles.

Hammy and Spada are kind of, nothing at the moment. Despite the fact they were original members, we still don't know anything about them.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I figured Raptor falling in love with Spada was because he was the yellow Ranger this time.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Woah. Meta. The robots are definitely the best characters on this show so far.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”