KyuuRanger Space.08 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:45 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆☆
39%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
No votes
10%

Total votes: 31
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KyuuRanger Space.08 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

Good lord this episode was a mess. A lot of what I came here to say was - surprise - already said.

So my only remaining question is: Why did Toei commit to this kind of show, with lots of characters and moving parts, and then not dump their whole damn budget into it? Do they think it's cute to lampshade their inability to fully realize this story? You can't go on about 9 heroes (and keep adding more, to boot) and then do shit like Kyuulette. Plus, yeah, the prophecy gets a little messed up when we now have ranger 10 on episode 8. Why?
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

I hope the kid doesn't gets to be ryu violet.

Also I think that what Takenoko said it's kinda interesting about Spada. Specially because this show is aimed to Japanese kids, if I were making this show for western audiences, I would make Spada's disobedience to cause him trouble, since kids here are quite insubordinated. But makes me wonder what message would they try to convey to the Japanese childs.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

eijiman wrote:Also I think that what Takenoko said it's kinda interesting about Spada. Specially because this show is aimed to Japanese kids, if I were making this show for western audiences, I would make Spada's disobedience to cause him trouble, since kids here are quite insubordinated. But makes me wonder what message would they try to convey to the Japanese childs.
I know, right? This was one theme that was touched on in the Japanese film class we took. Originally, most Japanese movies were more or less propaganda to be a model citizen, be a conformist, obey your government, the group over the individual, etc. But as Japan became more globalized and post World War II, Western messages about individuality, self-expression, and being unique started to get popular.

So is Spada an example of a rogue who's messing things up by not working in a team? Or is he messing things up like Shou Lonpou is saying? It'll be interesting to see where they go with this sub story in the next episode, since it's a reflection of the writer, the studio, and the Japanese values that go into creating it.
VerusMaya II wrote:So my only remaining question is: Why did Toei commit to this kind of show, with lots of characters and moving parts, and then not dump their whole damn budget into it? Do they think it's cute to lampshade their inability to fully realize this story? You can't go on about 9 heroes (and keep adding more, to boot) and then do shit like Kyuulette. Plus, yeah, the prophecy gets a little messed up when we now have ranger 10 on episode 8. Why?
Agreed. And I know that stuff like complaining about Kyuulette is nitpicks. If the rest of the stuff was working, yeah, it could exist as a funny little joke. But as it stands now, there are so many movie parts that all it does is point out what's not working in the series. So far, the series just reaffirms the skeptics in the fandom who were worried that it'd be too many characters to tell a proper, cohesive story. It's a lot of things to keep in mind, stuff like the Balance treasure excavation could be its own episode, but it doesn't feel fleshed out since it's reduced to just side jokes, and it's hard to do any real drama because it'll pretty quickly cut away to a scene with an entirely different tone. A 10-part gattai is a cluster fuck, so having a story with 4-5 different sub plots in the same show isn't really that much different.

I just wish the course correction would happen faster. Like Ex-Aid is pretty good now that it's telling some dramatic stories and the characters are more established. I'd love an episode where we explored Spada's back story and saw how he became the chef in the group. To see that reduced to a 1 minute dialogue is intensely frustrating on a storytelling level.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I think we will get our more concrete backgrounds soon.............or at least I hope it will be not like Red Jyuuman........... :P
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

contrary with others, i do like this episode with all of those messy unanswered plot lines that shown in it.
i do think it's all leads to next episode when we will find the full circle about Spada decision & Shou background. the trio in search of kyuutama gonna be related with the other groups as well i think.
anyway, i do appreaciate to use all the 9 in diffrent task rateher than just sit inside the orion waiting for their luck from the kyuulette. so at least the series improving in this way.
and ya i also assume Shou is a former Jark Matter person as well, that's why he's so afraid of Madaako & Ikagen. Or perhaps these 2 are his mentor/senpai in his trainee days in military/ or the traitor. let's see it later on.

about the kyuu, i'm 1 of the person who thinks it as 9. althought when it turns out to be more than 9 is still ok as long as all the character have more depth later on. and yet in here, the series is very lack of it. background & development not really shown in a good way so far.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

A lot of this felt like bad execution. I really like it that Shou comes up with a practicality-based (dare I say utilitarian?) plan that one ranger refuses in order to protect suffering bystanders. However, after that it becomes really unclear what they want to say, as several rangers join him, another leaves later for nearly the same reason, and the remaining rangers' capture followed by Shou's ranger reveal seem to imply that Shou was right and Spada shouldn't have broken formation. Such a lose-lose situation is great for a story, but here it feels less like the writers were trying to make it ambiguous and morally challenging and more like they started asking the question, wanted a definite answer but weren't sure how to get one, and just dropped it entirely. It's possible they'll come up with a solution next episode, but I have an unfortunate feeling that they may all but forget that conflict.

This episode had only 3 "Yossha Lucky"'s from Lucky, and no references to luck other than that. I think this is a new record for him; we don't even need an advanced breakdown for this one.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Having Balance, Naga and Champ doing the treasure hunt was kind of dumb, but at the same time it's better than the unused members sitting around the ship doing fuck all.

And we are only eight episodes in and we have our 10th 9ranger? Someone didn't think this through.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”