KyuuRanger Space.11 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat May 06, 2017 11:57 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆
36%
☆☆
4%
14%

Total votes: 28
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.11 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.8 / 5 (20 votes)

Alternate Title - Best... day... ever

You know, the only thing I have in my notes is "banana peel gag", but the episode on a whole was pretty decent. I mean, for KyuuRanger. It's about this time that we would see the course correction done from people reacting to the first episodes of the show, so maybe that's why Lucky has taken a back seat in this episode? Speaking of which, it's pretty annoying to see a glimpse of his back story and then not really delve into it. I get it's set up for next week, and I'm not asking for more Lucky, but maybe we could have touched on that stuff 2-3 times to set it up instead of just one major shocker at the end.

Anyway, no one was too stupid this time. It's still pretty annoying the way people just basically do whatever they want. If someone says they're not going to disobey orders, they pretty much will. It's like a child's understanding of saying what you mean and having no impulse control. It just makes the whole thing seem like a child's cartoon.

But the moral wasn't reprehensible this time. Stinger acts as a big brother to Kotarou. Hey, maybe a little sternness and tempering of your idiot child impulses is a good thing? That's a good lesson, right? Speaking of which, Kotarou is in the opening now.

I never noticed it before, but is that jewel in Ikaagen's forehead a KyuuTama? Is that the Jark Matter symbol or something else? Also, in another example of change for the better, Maadakko is less annoying this time around too. It's almost like... it's learning?!

The best part of the episode is clearly Ryuu Voyager showing that it's a secondary docking torso. So even though Lucky will never go away, at least we won't need to rely on him as much.

Speaking of the flaws of the Kyuulette again, now that we have 11 members. That means each individual persona's chance has gone from about half a chance of appearing in the episode to more like 45%. That's a bummer if you liked some of the more minor "main" characters.

Also, Champ and Stinger on the same team and Champ doesn't react to Stinger. Maybe sort out that sub story sooner than later? It's really offensively negligent to set that up and delay it this way, since it strains all realism to do so. It's not even like Stinger is off on Earth working on his own.

4/5 lucky stars. Maybe this series is on an upward curve.

Edit: I wonder if the galaxy wonders why everything is so Greek.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KyuuRanger Space.11 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Lucky being obsessed with his luck to the point of death seems stupid. There better be a hell of a back story to explain this.

But the main Kyuranger plot was fun. It shows that it can work without Lucky. And Stinger and Kotarou had some development and it didn't require Lucky either!

Still unsure how they are going to Juggle 11 rangers 11 episodes in still.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

A step up from last week but not entirely good enough personally

Kotaro and Stinger had a small moment in that cave say oh my big bro is bad don't be like him and Kotaro is like ok, needs more work to develop Kotaro and maybe Stinger more

And the biggest plus for me this episode and let me say this to start it off: Yosha Unlucky! That means Lucky becomes unlucky this and that's great since I don't like Lucky, though that scene where it looks like baby Lucky has potential, and Lucky you got to blur your line between being lucky and being realistic, it should seriously help you develop to make me like you more
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

I felt the Stinger/Kotarou scene was a bit rushed. It should've gotten its own episode to focus on rather than being the c-plot of this episode.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

This show is consistantly inconsistant when all it's moving parts are working together they work together really well and this episode is one of those examples. The thing it also falls flat on its face as often as often as it works
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess I hadn't noticed that a lot of people give this series 1 Stars in the poll. I mean, I gave it one star last episode, but I flipped through the older episodes and it's pretty consistent. I kind of wonder how many series get this kind of feedback.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

a few things that lost points with me:
-Ryutei-oh. So these new Kyuurangers who voyagers that werent part of the main line can combine, seemingly like the rangers had a second nature knowledge to this. weak. now if the Kyuutama resonated, and they gave it a try that'd be different. but it was so like .... practiced especially since Skyblues voyager just came into being. were they throwiung back to rhino and armadillo spirit animals from gaoranger?

-its interesting how Champ commented on lucky going down every time but no one bats and eyelash that so does Spada.
-Coincidentally, Red and Yellow go alot but no very much blue time. which to me is weird as red, blue, and yellow are always core members and staples to any line up.

Kotaru may look up to stinger, so i dont think its TOO farfetched to believe Kotaru would take anything he says to heart very quickyl and younger children are more easily swayed when some one is "cool" in their eyes.

i wonder what the argo ship will be if anything. like their new base thats like a starship for battle? i wonder if it will just be the place that house what will hopefully be the team power up. perhaps a golden fleece for super star mode? and lucky looking like a soul surviver. meh ... but hopefully his back story will be better than Yamato and Takaharu's.
my 1 hope?
it gets darker, and a ranger dies and stays dead. i almost hope lucky dies and we get another red. perhaps a female. thatd work.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

takenoko wrote:I guess I hadn't noticed that a lot of people give this series 1 Stars in the poll. I mean, I gave it one star last episode, but I flipped through the older episodes and it's pretty consistent. I kind of wonder how many series get this kind of feedback.
I feel like the backlash is worse this season because there was a lot of hype in the pre-release phase. It just hasn't really executed well so far and so everyone is more disappointed.

It might pick up later for sure, but Toku is so formulaic at his point I can't help compare it to say the first 11 episodes of Shinkenger or Kyoryuger and then be disappointed that it doesn't stack up.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's also been the third year in a row for mediocre Sentai...
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I'm sorta surprised people are not feeling it. It's not the best but it doesn't seem ridiculously bad. It's fun.Then again I'm sorta on a Power Ranger/Sentai bender after seeing the 2017 movie. Went back to finish Ninninger and now watching Jyuogher and Kyuuranger so maybe I'm on some sort of biased high.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Not too much to say about the plot on this one. Takenoko hit all the high and low points there. No one got hit with the stupid bat - though the drink gag was pretty dumb - and the show is genuinely better when Lucky isn't around. Which is a bit of a shame because he's our main character and isn't going anywhere, and because it has to sting a bit for the writers since it makes episodes like this one sort of backfire on them. If they could have only slowed down the pace on this episode a bit more, and honestly excised Lucky entirely for this one (saving that for later), I think it would have been a very strong episode.

Meanwhile, even if the series has problems I'm glad to see that it's moving along with an overarching plot. After the 9 KyuuRangers were collected, the show sort of sputtered and I was afraid it would descend into episodic banality. I don't expect the new Argo ship arc to be resolved any time soon - they just got a new robo - but it means that the characters have something to do.

In terms of production, I loved the RyuuTeiOh fight. Let's be clear here: it makes absolutely no god damn sense how PimpCommander is able to change the scenery like that. Seriously, there's no established narrative reason for that. But it looks awesome. When it was revealed that this was a space series, this is the kind of robo fight I had in mind. It's a breath of fresh air in a place that technically has no air. And while RyuuTeiOh is a bit clunky, I like its design better than KyurenOh, in part because it gets real feet instead of those awkward-for-legs Voyagers.

(As an aside, how do Shou and Little Boy Blue get on and off of the ship? Orion only has 9 docking ports, so there's nowhere to park their Voyagers...)

The makeup team may want to cut down on the use of guyliner on Stinger though. It was pretty bad in this episode.:|

Also, please stop with the bad product placement. I know this is a toy show, but do they really need to advertise cups?

Unrelated: what's being advertised in the top corner near the start of the episode? A sports match of some kind?

CM: Since we had a new robo this week I checked out the commercials. Can I just say that I love how Bandai still does stop motion toy ads after all of these years?:D It's just so well done, and it actually shows off the toy instead of a bunch of CGI or unrelated action.
takenoko wrote:But the moral wasn't reprehensible this time. Stinger acts as a big brother to Kotarou. Hey, maybe a little sternness and tempering of your idiot child impulses is a good thing? That's a good lesson, right? Speaking of which, Kotarou is in the opening now.
Echoing what Luna said last week, Kotarou is still the best character. I may not even hate him in a few more episodes...
I never noticed it before, but is that jewel in Ikaagen's forehead a KyuuTama? Is that the Jark Matter symbol or something else?
It's not Jark Matter's symbol (which is roughly a T), that's for sure. So it definitely looks like KyuuTama.
Also, in another example of change for the better, Maadakko is less annoying this time around too. It's almost like... it's learning?!
It's a mixed bag, I suppose. On the one hand, the new Octopussy - the only female villain - has been reduced to being subservient to Ikaagen, and apparently not much more. On the other hand her original "bad hombre" personality was so damn annoying, yelling Takos all the time. I don't like what the new personality means for the character, but I like that it's no longer painfully annoying. So that's a win, I guess.
Also, Champ and Stinger on the same team and Champ doesn't react to Stinger. Maybe sort out that sub story sooner than later? It's really offensively negligent to set that up and delay it this way, since it strains all realism to do so. It's not even like Stinger is off on Earth working on his own.
Agreed. That has to get addressed. The fact that Champ isn't killing Stinger in his sleep as retribution boggles the mind.
Zerato wrote:I felt the Stinger/Kotarou scene was a bit rushed. It should've gotten its own episode to focus on rather than being the c-plot of this episode.
Agreed. It could have (and should have) been its own A-plot. It would have been a lot more meaningful character-wise than what we actually got with this episode.
takenoko wrote:I guess I hadn't noticed that a lot of people give this series 1 Stars in the poll. I mean, I gave it one star last episode, but I flipped through the older episodes and it's pretty consistent. I kind of wonder how many series get this kind of feedback.
Even in Ex-Aid we get a couple of 1s on most episodes, and that series is on fire. I wish some of the voters would comment more; I'd love to hear their thoughts on what they'd like to see.
midorininger wrote:my 1 hope?
it gets darker, and a ranger dies and stays dead. i almost hope lucky dies and we get another red. perhaps a female. thatd work.
Yes please!
takenoko wrote:It's also been the third year in a row for mediocre Sentai...
That really hasn't helped things. We've never had a modern drought like this, where Sentai was so consistent and yet so consistently so-so. It makes me fear that this is the new status quo, and that for [toy sale reasons] this is more profitable and is what Toei wants.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>and the show is genuinely better when Lucky isn't around.

They could raise all boats by having him say something that isn't about luck or that isn't his catchphrase? No, no, how excessively bold my greed is, I daren't ask.

>(As an aside, how do Shou and Little Boy Blue get on and off of the ship? Orion only has 9 docking ports, so there's nowhere to park their Voyagers...)

I thought Shoul said his lived in his KyuuTama? Shotarou looks like his just came out of the Ursa Major constellation. I really like Koguma Voyager as an idea, since mechs within mechs are fun.

>Unrelated: what's being advertised in the top corner near the start of the episode? A sports match of some kind?

Looks like world figure skating.

>Echoing what Luna said last week, Kotarou is still the best character. I may not even hate him in a few more episodes...

Ugh, so the idiot factor is still there, but in the guise of childlike naivete. Wonderful.

>Even in Ex-Aid we get a couple of 1s on most episodes, and that series is on fire. I wish some of the voters would comment more; I'd love to hear their thoughts on what they'd like to see.

I actually went back and looked. It had some, but man, KyuuRanger sure is scraping the barrel with some people apparently. I'd love to hear what the 1 stars think, since even I thought this was a pretty decent episode when Lucky isn't around. But obviously different people will have different scales with which to rate these things.
Evangeline
Adventure
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Dreamy: Shijima Go
Favorite Actor?: Rika Adachi
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Figure Collection
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Evangeline »

since Takaharu, Red Ranger become more and more pathetic. Daigo and Right their character still forgivable, but this (Lucky) just because Your name is Lucky doesn't mean you will be always luck, lol

I think Stinger should take over this sentai team, he has more potential

garu, champ, naga, hammy, spade, their act still so-so

Balance and Ryuu Comander, their acting was perfect

kotaro, haaahhh~~ another meh character
Last edited by Evangeline on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:>and the show is genuinely better when Lucky isn't around.

They could raise all boats by having him say something that isn't about luck or that isn't his catchphrase? No, no, how excessively bold my greed is, I daren't ask.
You know damn well they'll throw in the towel before they admit that a happy-go-lucky Red is a bad idea. Don't ask for things you can't have. :P
>(As an aside, how do Shou and Little Boy Blue get on and off of the ship? Orion only has 9 docking ports, so there's nowhere to park their Voyagers...)

I thought Shoul said his lived in his KyuuTama? Shotarou looks like his just came out of the Ursa Major constellation. I really like Koguma Voyager as an idea, since mechs within mechs are fun.
I don't recall Shou ever saying something like that. But it's more of a general point, I suppose. They designed themselves into a corner here by only having 9 docking ports. Anything they do is going to be a bit of a hand-wave.
>Echoing what Luna said last week, Kotarou is still the best character. I may not even hate him in a few more episodes...

Ugh, so the idiot factor is still there, but in the guise of childlike naivete. Wonderful.
True. But at least they give it some context that makes sense. That's more than Lucky gets.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, my mistake. In episode 9, Shou says "Maybe one will come out" so I thought he was talking about the KyuuTama. But he just meant "Maybe one will appear". Got to love the vagaries of Japanese. It looks like his just appears from the constellation, same as Kuma Voyager. I think that's the name.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”