KyuuRanger Space.12 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
17%
☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆
20%
☆☆
3%
10%

Total votes: 30
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: KyuuRanger Space.12 released

Post by Rifaz »

Changed the dance?! Oh, come on! That's one of the few good things that came out of this series.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Ashki wrote:What I hate the most about this show is Lucky. Seriously, this is Ninninger all over again. It doesn't help that we have the magic gumballs that grant random powers but only appear once or twice. And I'm gonna guess there are 88 of them out there for reasons I probably don't have to mention.
We've had useless collectibles for a good while before Ninninger, though? That's just how Bandai works nowadays and I doubt they're gonna change anytime soon.
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:I normally don't mind the Red being the focus of the show and getting a lot of attention, but Lucky is even getting on MY nerves. The last time I was this annoyed with a Sentai was Toqger. If he would just tone down the stupid catchphrase it wouldn't be so bad.
I found depressed Lucky through most of this episode much more tolerable. Too bad he cheered up.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Right in Toqger is a lot better than Lucky. His personality grown through the story, but in case of Lucky, I think that he is the same as Takaharu - big mouth with idiot thinking until the end.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5
ALRIGHT!!! LUCKY'S BIG COMEBACK!!!
Never mess with a Red Ranger

Also, the Kyutama Dance has a minor revision
BTW, what are your thoughts between those changes?

Here comes, Takatora(Batta)
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

depressed lucky is a better version of lucky. and only this time the actor can show another part of emotion for lucky as a human being.
sad that Ikagen go so early, but now Scorpio come in. hope he will last long, coz Kubota is a very good actor in Garo Maryuu movie & Gaim.

quite agree that takaharu = lucky all over again. why does everytime i pick sentai nowadays is always a red repeating the annoying cathphrase.
cathphrase is good, dont get me wrong. i realize the whole catchphrase thing when i watch KR Kabuto. but hey in there, it used in such a good way & even i want to hear it again. same thing didnt happend with "i'm on fire" & "YOSHAAAAAA LUCKY". which just overly used to the point of people wanna punch the RED just to make him shut up. (thx Garou for doing it twice, yeah HIT YOUR BABY ONE MORE TIME lol).

i notice the dance is altered, and the original seems better, but i dunno which part that being changed exactly. but anyway, it will stay no maer what i guess. i do think the song is ok. although i do prefer the Op song. [Deka op song still the best perhaps???].

i give it a 4, the whole dramatic thing until robo fighting is good. the lucky speech when beating Ikagen is good as well. but the way he beat ikagen is well.... ya ignoring teamwork. i skip jyuohger & kyoryuuger. but seems teamwork is a minor thing in ninninger & kyuranger so far, which is sad coz it is SENTAI. it should be the main thing about others & teamworks.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Alright! The traditional Super Sentai friendship punch! And the person receiving it is Lucky, twice! This episode definitely started well and put a smile on my face. It's a shame Lucky couldn't get punched a couple of more times though...

Maybe they can blow up Ocotopussy a few more times until she has the right personality for a leader, and then replace Lucky with her. I mean she's Red, so it's close enough, right?
takenoko wrote:So... the trick was to get 11 people, but Lucky doesn't act like a team player. But it's okay since Ikaagen has more than 10 eyes anyway, which go away as soon as the scene changes, and it's up to Lucky to come up with a strategy that means not working with his teammates at all and him defeating Ikaagen all by himself. Also, Lucky learns nothing at the end of the episode? He gets rewarded for acting like a brat, then just goes back to his status quota? Man, this part of the episode is a real dagger in the gut. Like seriously, fuck that.
I think the writers were trying to say that Lucky isn't lucky, but rather he makes his own luck through his determination and not giving up. The latter bit being about as traditional a Sentai quality as you ever will see.

The problem is that it was handled badly. Instead of Lucky really internalizing that it's his determination that sways the fight, he's back to where he was at the start of the last episode, acting as if it's luck.

Almost everything involving Lucky so far has been mishandled. Things need to get better, otherwise we're in for another 45ish episodes of this.
If Ikaagen's trick is he has eyes...
Is it me, or was this episode kind of cruel to Ikaagen? First they blinded the guy, then they cut off his arms. He is by all rights crippled. It's one thing to just blow up the MOTW, but that came off as rather vicious...
takenoko wrote:http://68.media.tumblr.com/4b85fa4e679d ... 1_1280.jpg

What's that map behind Stinger? Is that supposed to be the solar system?
It's a solar system, but it's definitely not the Sol System. There are too few planets and they are in the wrong spots. So it just appears to be a random decoration, like the drink dispenses behind Lucky.
Arigomi wrote:Did anyone else notice how they changed the dance during the ending song? I had to check last week's episode to make sure this was a recent change. It seems that adding Kotarou to the rotation made them finally realize that teaching children to pelvic thrust is a bad idea. As a result, they had redo a lot of the dance footage with the actors/suit actors.
Holy crap, you're right! I don't know whether it was always planned like this or a consequence of Japanese moms going nuts, but either way I'll take it. The ED song still sucks, but at least the dance doesn't involve Lucky humping the other Rangers...
PHurricane wrote:I can’t remember sentai ever having a mecha fight in the rain with water all over the place like that.
We've had some mecha fights in the water before - Jyuohger comes to mind as the most recent example - but I can't recall any city fights like that. I will give the mecha team here a lot of credit: the actual fights still aren't anywhere near as well-executed as Go-Busters, but they have definitely stepped up their game on the sets. ToQger's refinery fight, the various city fights over the last couple of years, the space fight a couple of weeks back, and now this one. If anything I'd expect Toei to be limiting new sets to save money for other things, but instead they're doing neat things like this.
Worse than a backpack, it looks like RyuuTei-Oh is just standing behind KyuuRen-Oh. They probably couldn't build a suit that big without it breaking the stunt actor's back.
Aye. We've had bad cluster-mechs before, but never this bad this soon. They really only had to attach a second robo body to the first one, something they've done time and time again much better than this. I wouldn't expect a bad cluster like this until the final combination late in the season when you're piling together 3-4 robos. Worse, it shows almost no real care put into the design. They didn't just start attaching parts randomly, but they half-assed the whole connection. Chou Chou ToQ-oh was a mess, but at least it looked like 1 robo.

If it's already this bad now, how much worse is it going to be by episode 40?
I like this version of Maadaako better. Still wish she’d stayed dead, but I’ll take Ikaagen being permanently dead as a consolation.
Ditto.
Lunagel wrote:Question: Why did Madaako have to change personalities? All they said was that she just does when she revives which okay fine whatever but do we really need one more personality in a sea of already frankly underdeveloped personalities?
This is one of those behind-the-scenes type of questions that we can only speculate on. I dare say that the crew has realized some of their early flaws and are fixing them: Shou has been behaving himself for the last couple of episodes, the dance has been changed, Hame isn't randomly laughing at things, etc. So maybe Octopussy's original personality is something they considered a mistake and corrected? Or maybe they didn't think the brash personality would work with the new lead bad guy? Or maybe it's even something simpler than that, and the voice actress couldn't keep up with the character's deep yelling?
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

RIP Pelvic thrust

Anyway, it was a slightly good episode. Bit confused with the reasoning that Lucky became a kyuranger because he believed he was lucky?

The writer needs to learn how to balance the team better though, instead of mainly focusing on Lucky.

So, we now have three mechas without a 4th leg/arm, foreshadowing perhaps?
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

This was the episode I was waiting for. I thought the eyes all over the body was cool, but creepy, touch because it was like going up a Venom symbiote. I wanted to see Hammy go invisible, but the gems were likely eyes that saw more of the spectrum and would've nullified the cloaking spell. It's impossible to become completely invisible because you would become blind because of how the retina works. Even a clever mix of colors that can't be seen by humanoids on one side of sunglass lens can be a decent substitute, but you'd still give off body heat and bones are still visible with X-rays.

The new mech seemed like a mess, but the power seemed to be good for an eight parter.

I can't wait for next week's episode because I hope that it reveals how Scorpio turned to the dark side.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

takenoko wrote:< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.21 / 5 (24 votes)

Alternate Title - At Garou had a cool scene

This was alright. Loved that Garou had a good scene for the first time since he was introduced.

When was the last time Raptor deployed? I miss seeing her in action.

Lucky doesn't get chosen for once, but it's just a minor fight scene. Guess that's to be expected...

So... the trick was to get 11 people, but Lucky doesn't act like a team player. But it's okay since Ikaagen has more than 10 eyes anyway, which go away as soon as the scene changes, and it's up to Lucky to come up with a strategy that means not working with his teammates at all and him defeating Ikaagen all by himself. Also, Lucky learns nothing at the end of the episode? He gets rewarded for acting like a brat, then just goes back to his status quota? Man, this part of the episode is a real dagger in the gut. Like seriously, fuck that.

The mecha fighting in the rain was cool, especially with the shot of Hame in her cockpit, so of course that ended pretty quickly.

Ugh... so the combined for just turns RyuuTeiOh into Lucky's backpack? That's ugly and dumb.

Oh, Scorpio is coming? Maybe he'll save- Oh you can only afford him for voice overs? His monster face is dumb looking too? Great...

Don't get me wrong, this was definitely a 4 episode. I had a decent enough time watching it, but the flaws in this series don't get wiped clean just because they did some things right.

Oh, I just remembered the comment I wanted to make throughout the whole episode. If Ikaagen's trick is he has eyes... then why not just have Hame kill him with her stealth powers. She literally can turn invisible and does so in every battle. Seriously, why does Lucky even need the other KyuuRangers? Just Futago KyuuTama all the enemies all the time. It would make no sense not to always do that.
I figured out the whole invisibility thing. Think of the small eyes as the normal defense and the crystals are for everything else.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I forgot about the brief flashback and explanation we got about Lucky's backstory until I saw the picture on the front page. So he was stuck in an escape capsule as a kid and blasted off his planet as it was under attack? Someone in the writer's room is a Superman/Supergirl fan. If Lucky turns out to be his planet's long-lost prince, I am going to roll my eyes so hard they may pop out of my head.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

SacredCultivator wrote:Guess I'll chime in on this because this episode did introduce some things that really bugged me, most of which takenoko mentioned.

-Still dislike the whole, "Alright, lucky!" stuff but that's going to continue no matter what.
-The combination of both mechas is disgusting as heck. Definitely lacks creativity and used more as a backpack seems like a good comparison.
-Definitely the Futago KyuuTama ruins the entire show really... I mean it may not even be used again in the series... That's the thing I sort of dislike whenever any show utilizes any sort of "cloning" power... Because once you use it, it's like, what's the point of having any teammates, since you render them useless. Especially in this series where it's all about teamwork and yet you have Lucky... who's essentially the star of the show. Also wouldn't the Shou know about that KyuuTama? Unless Lucky was... lucky? to randomly find it and Shou doesn't know of its existence? As that seems like something super useful from the... start?

It's a bit painful to watch this series as a whole solely because of Lucky. As takenoko points out... the way he's written (ignoring the whole "Alright, lucky!" thing) is that you just don't feel anything for him. And he's the "leader" of the team which makes things worse. They try to teach you some morale, but then there's essentially no actual payoff for it.
what the difference between futago and gemini? but it was clear he was trying his luck. so BEFORE he doubled he was gambling that afterwards he could MAYBE use the power again. also he wasnt transformed. maybe to preserve kyuutama energy? but even so! youd assume since its gemini(?) you could only clone once, a twin. so yeah he kind of gambled there. but meh. i was epecting hoping that he'd use while everyone hand their hands on their shoulders, and effectively cloning the whole team. that would have been better.
Catastrophe wrote:Yes. More Takeru types. Probably my favourite Red ever. I guess the hotblooded idiots are used more because kids like them better?
yes Shinken Red IS a good red. hell even ShinkenRed Hime would be better. ;)

yeah no i felt that this combi was sloppy and not thought out. i will say that the mechs are semi reminding me of the spirit animals from Gaoranger since they can interchange. but this feels like they did it because they could or had to? in fact what was even the point of swaping arms?

were never leaving earth are we?

i sort of want to believe the Champ vs Stinger story is connected to scopio as a triangle thing? perhaps! champs creator gave scorpio his new body, and out of revenge against jark matter for making him enhance their soliders he made champ to fight them? and stinger killed that Dr because he knew he was enhancing the soliders? maaybe?

QUESTION! when the last disaster hit japan, was that around the same time sentai got sillier? because if so, id say that would be why.

EDIT: am i the first to bring up, that Garou said, "now thats the man i fell for!" when lucky got his groove back? i am choosing to believe its because he is a dog and dogs love their masters so maybe thats what it is. but ... i had to wonder about the translation too.
also, when scorpio speaks, he says "i am look..." shouldnt it have been "looking"?
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Sigh... well, hopefully at least he's learned to not depend solely on luck. He's going to keep saying that stupid phrase for the rest of the series (not that I expected it to stop), but if it's just kind of a war cry for him now, I can live with that. Believing that he's lucky is fine, I just don't want to see him stopping for lunch or any of that other stupidity anymore.

At any rate, seeing Deviantart deck him was satisfying, wasn't it? :mrgreen:

Catastrophe wrote:Yes. More Takeru types. Probably my favourite Red ever. I guess the hotblooded idiots are used more because kids like them better?
I dunno. I think that kind of character can be done well, they just need to have defining characteristics outside of that trope so that they aren't so one-dimensional.

Megaranger is a great example. Kenta is definitely that type, but he was serious when the situation called for it, and didn't have some annoying catchphrase. He was arguably the most talented member of the team (he was the only one that was actually scouted, after all), but he wasn't some Mary Sue that could do no wrong, either. Like the others, there were times when he had to improve, both in his skill and in his character. His goofiness was endearing, and wasn't played on to the point that it got annoying (mainly because the other four were given a chance to grow as well). I think at some point, in conjunction with character development in general falling by the wayside to sell more toys, the writers just started Flanderizing this type until we got the mess that we have today.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>What the difference between futago and gemini?

Futago means 'twin'. When -za is added to the end of it, it (Futagoza) becomes the Japanese constellation name for "Gemini".

EDIT: am i the first to bring up, that Garou said, "now thats the man i fell for!" when lucky got his groove back? i am choosing to believe its because he is a dog and dogs love their masters so maybe thats what it is. but ... i had to wonder about the translation too.
also, when scorpio speaks, he says "i am look..." shouldnt it have been "looking"?[/quote]

The phrasing is literally "that's the man I fell in love with!" But it's probably more platonic than it would be if said in a Western context. Or maybe Garou's gay for Lucky, that's fine too. He can be Sentai's first openly gay character.

俺の惚れた男じゃけえ! Ore no horeta otoko jakee!

惚れる 【ほれる】 (v1) to fall in love, to be in love, to be charmed with, to lose one's heart to, (P)

Luna suggested "That's the man who charmed me!" but I thought that had more implications. Looking back, maybe I should have went with "That's the man who won me over!" to keep it as open to interpretation as possible.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I'm beginning to think that Lucky's birth planet was the first planet Jark Matter attacked to set off this whole mess. And considering the way the kid was dressed in those flashbacks, a young royal caught in the middle of a coup d'etat would be right up Toei's alley.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”