KyuuRanger Space.13 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
4%
13%

Total votes: 24
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Re: KyuuRanger Space.13 released

Post by midorininger »

on the one hand at least they went back to 2 rangers having an issue with each other, unlike with Leon and Sera ...
but on the other hand ... Champ believed and went with everything so fast and easily it felt shallow and forced. and i almost, too, felt that Kotarou was merely a plot device for Stinger's story and now that he is used up, he's sent to abudabi.
WHICH! we've seemingly have back to back members join and they didnt go to the rebllion home base to train, but Kotarou does? huh?

i can kinda buy Stinger having an antidote ready for Scorpio's poisons. that seemed okay but the fact Stinger could just tell they were poisoned about by whom. ALSO! while Shou DID say he stopped by that planet Stinger was on, apparently, Stinger had been a Ranger for quite awhile at that point? what other things is Shou hiding?!

i think Shou may be sitting out for awhile too, as he said the fighting is hurting his back. so with any luck, with Champ, Stinger, Kotarou and MAYBE Shou out of the loop, some of the others can get some screen time. and more screen time and development.
lastly is it:
"Kairyu Tensei"
or
"Kiryu Tensei"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

midorininger wrote:and now that he is used up, he's sent to abudabi.
To be fair, he is cute.

>"Kairyu Tensei" or "Kiryu Tensei"

That's Shou's line when he transforms right? Currently the translation is Dragon Ascension

It's Garyuu Tensei (ガリョウテンセイ!) I think? It's in katakana, but probably is punning on this:

画龍点睛 【がりょうてんせい】 (n) finishing touch, completing (something) by executing the final, critical step

I think Luna tried to make me translate it to literally that meaning, but the reason we translate it the way we do is because the word dragon is in there and tensei can mean "reincarnation". I think my original translation for it was "dragon incarnation" or something? It's also a Pokemon reference:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... ent_(move)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Don't put words in my mouth! I suggested "Finishing Dragon" to try to get both meanings of the phrase in, but Dragon Ascension sounded cooler
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

But it's convenient to blame mom when things are less cool!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So the issue with Stinger and Champ is resolved instantly because of Stinger just didn't tell him? Horrible writing, but I like now how they are partnered.

Scorpios tail to leg Rider kick was pretty sweet.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

takenoko wrote:
midorininger wrote:and now that he is used up, he's sent to abudabi.
To be fair, he is cute.

>"Kairyu Tensei" or "Kiryu Tensei"

That's Shou's line when he transforms right? Currently the translation is Dragon Ascension

It's Garyuu Tensei (ガリョウテンセイ!) I think? It's in katakana, but probably is punning on this:

画龍点睛 【がりょうてんせい】 (n) finishing touch, completing (something) by executing the final, critical step

I think Luna tried to make me translate it to literally that meaning, but the reason we translate it the way we do is because the word dragon is in there and tensei can mean "reincarnation". I think my original translation for it was "dragon incarnation" or something? It's also a Pokemon reference:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... ent_(move)
huh, never thought about the pokemon reference. Rayquaza DOES have similar horns .... and a serpentine body.

yes his "transformation activation phrase"!
but yeah, considering how he was RyuViolet at first and then became complete as Ryu Commander, that would make sense. Also considering, the Ryu Kyuutama went from attack to transform perhaps its a step up?
but whats a Garyuu? another word for dragon?

on another note,
OhRanger Red Puncher basically became a backpack for Choriki Robo. seemed cool.
KyuuRanger Ryuteioh becomes a backpack for KryurenOh, comes off lazy and forced.

im wondering if the Argo Ship wil be something all the individual ranger mech get into and they all have it fire a mega beam thats stronger with all the other mechs in it powering it. would be a shame but havent seen that in awhile either.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

OhRanger Red Puncher basically became a backpack for Choriki Robo. seemed cool.
KyuuRanger Ryuteioh becomes a backpack for KryurenOh, comes off lazy and forced.
Buster Ohranger Robo was still hindered by that mid 90s toy design. Things didn't really start becoming dynamic for another few years.

Ryutei Kyuren-Oh is an early, 8 part combiner that looks like shit because the over the shoulder voyagers don't appear to add anything to the silhouette. Compare with say, Hyper Gosei Great where Datas is used as a backpack, but the addition of all the headers and the face mask gives it a better look.

To be honest, I can't actually think of a good 8 part combiner that doesn't relegate some of the mecha to some useless part like shoulderpads or something.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Catastrophe wrote:So the issue with Stinger and Champ is resolved instantly because of Stinger just didn't tell him? Horrible writing, but I like now how they are partnered.

Scorpios tail to leg Rider kick was pretty sweet.
How many issues in shows are resolvable with someone telling the other person something? This isn't a new plot.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Doesn't stop it from being really shitty and lazy writing. It's something Stinger could have cleared up on his joining the team, but they had to create animosity between him and Champ for no reason because it contributed nothing to the plot.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

And to be fair, even when it's done better in other places, it's still a poor trope/plot device to use.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Exactly. The thing that frustrates me the most here is that not only is it a shit plot device, it's done poorly for no reason and for no real perceived benefit to the plot.

It's like they needed to wait enough episode to get Champ and Stinger to pair off and then leave for a bit.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Almost caught up!

Wasn't thrilled by the beginning, but the later part was better. From the last episode's preview it looked like we'd get an episode from Hame's perspective, and instead she (the only girl on the mission) got zombified and hardly did anything after that. Plus they went and killed (or at least mostly killed) the governor when he had no control over his actions; feels both impractical (he could give information in gratitude for saving them/hatred for Scorpio?) and a little cold.

Other than that, though, this was actually a pretty good episode. I liked Stinger and Champ's becoming comrades, even if they really needed a better reason that Stinger didn't tell Champ about his brother. It felt like the kind of humanity that had been missing from previous episodes, and while it's far from perfect, it feels like the closest thing to a good episode that we've had so far.

My favorite part of the episode is probably the ending theme with Stinger dancing in the corner; the sheer irony of it almost makes the rest of the show worth it. The actor just looks so reluctant at the beginning compared to the end.

Advanced LuckyCount Breakdown:
Spoiler
“Lucky”'s by Lucky in episode 13:
  • Spoiler
    “Yossha Lucky”’s: - -- - –- - 2
  • Spoiler
    “Lucky!”’s, “Luck”’s: - -- - 2
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese: -- - -- - -- - -- 1
    Total: 4 English, 5 Both
Spoiler
Guess they needed a break from last time.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Hammy didn't get to do much, what a disappointment.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”