Why believing in luck is bad and KyuuRanger is bad

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Why believing in luck is bad and KyuuRanger is bad

Post by takenoko »

To a great extent, a lot of our existence depends on luck. Whether you're born into a rich or poor household, whether you get a disease that kills you off before you're an adult, these are some extreme cases where luck would make a difference.

Really, we can blame or attribute many things in our lives to luck. But is that a healthy way of going about things? Lucky completely believes in his luck and thinks all his accomplishments are because of this believe. Shou Lonpou may credit that to some Laws of Attraction shit where positive thinking leads to the good things that happen in your life.

But isn't this philosophy dangerous? Why do you need to try or work hard if you can get carried on just hoping for the best? Positive thinking is an important motivator, but there are other things that motivate people. A desire to achieve, to do one's best, to beat a rival, etc. It seems silly to think that something as shallow as blind faith is just as good as personal motivations and actual hard work.

The Kyuulette is fine, since it's a dumb kid's show and it gets its comedic moments. But maybe it's a sign of the problems with the show itself. Instead of picking the best people for the job, it just picks five random people for the job. And the same shallow thinking appears to be what goes into the writing as well. Why bother to put careful thought or reasoning or motivations into the writing, when you can just shit something on the table and go "this is good enough". That's pretty much what I see and feel when I watch KyuuRanger. It's a bright, colorful show and certainly some people are working hard, like the action directors and the stunt guys, maybe even the actors? But there's nothing that brings it together or compelling enough to make you care about what's going on. It's just good enough to be there. And you can't really blame that on luck.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Why believing in luck is bad and KyuuRanger is bad

Post by Catastrophe »

So most of us when we were in school probably got told 'Good Luck' all the time before an exam. It's pretty common.

My first year in college for pre-med, when the first big anatomy exam came up and everyone is wishing each other the best of luck, I remember on of my buddies telling me 'All the best'. At first I thought it was because he was British and posh, but he clarified that in situations like this, preforming to the best of your ability yields better results than relying on luck. It's something that's stuck with me to this day.

That aside, I don't think Kyuranger being bad is unlucky. Whoever thought that having 9 (11?) rangers in a series that usually has single character focused episodes and then spend most of those around the Red needs to be taken out back and beaten with sticks. Whoever thought that hiring all these high profile seiyuu only to have the characters do fuck all needs to be beaten as well. It's honestly like they took a whole bunch of ideas for things that would make a good sentai without actually implementing them correctly.

Maybe it'll warm up? I was pretty cold on Ex-Aid until they passed that first quarter toy push and now it's pretty good, if somewhat flawed.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Why believing in luck is bad and KyuuRanger is bad

Post by Kurokage X »

You can be optimistic but the problem can be that you may be naive because you're not being realistic due to reliance on luck. Skills & motivations can be what show the best out of people but if you consistently rely on luck to get things done, it will backfire on you once luck is going against you.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”