KyuuRanger Space.15 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆
40%
☆☆
12%
16%

Total votes: 25
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.15 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.30 / 5 (27 votes)

Alternate Title - Party on the beach, no real conflicts

Hame-focus episode, alright but kind of falls right in the middle. Neither noteworthy nor terrible. The only real conflict is getting the girl to speak the truth/overcome shyness, whatever, which was no real conflict since the KyuuRangers could have just beat up the alien guy if she hadn't.

Edit: The more I think about it, the most the story falls apart. There's just no set up or satisfying response to anything storywise. The villagers don't learn a lesson about trusting false gods, they were straight up going to sacrifice a little girl. You'd think they should at least feel bad about that. I mean, have Hame get mad at them and scold them for their foolishness.

Instead, we get Hame mocking the monster of the week, in kind of a dumb bimbo way. It's not even the least bit witty. Still a 3, but it's a 3 dragged down by the rest of the show up to this point.

What was Naaga doing in this episode. Was that supposed to be funny?
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KyuuRanger Space.15 released

Post by ViRGE »

Hame is easily the least developed of the face characters thus far. So when they give her an episode where they pretty much get rid of everyone else besides Lucky by one means or another so that it can focus on her, why does it feel so empty?

It's not a bad episode. There are no great grievances in it. We get to learn a little more about Hame, and she officially seems to be done with the early Valley Girl thing.

But at the same time, it feels so shallow. We learn that Hame was shy as a little girl... and that's it. They still haven't given her much of a backstory. Meanwhile the main plot with the girl has no real stakes. As Take has noted, whether she spoke up or not doesn't seem to have changed things. The Rangers would have beat him anyhow. It seems like there needed to be some kind of gambit here - maybe the Rangers needed to do it this way to get the KyuuTama they were after - and for all we know that was the original idea with the episode. But that's sure not what actually happened. And I have no idea where they were going with the human sacrifice; that was seriously underplayed given how seriously Sentai normally treats killing people.

Overall this episode is just sort of there. It could have been worse, but at the same time it could have been better. The downside is that as it's probably the only Hame focus episode for a while, Toei has blown their chance to do anything interesting with their sole female face character. Though for once, this doesn't seem to be a case of Toei doing something stupidly sexist/insensitive, rather it's just a lame script to work with.

Other observations:
  • "Be brave?" Isn't that the other Sentai? :P
  • Holy crap it got windy while they were filming this episode. That had to have made things challenging. Kudos to the sound guy for making that work.
  • I'm seriously wondering if they filmed this episode at the same time as 14. That would explain Hame disappearing almost immediately. It also explains why we never see Lucky and Spada with Naga in any of the field shots, and why there's no real mecha fight this week. I would be a bit surprised if they weren't using block scheduling to begin with (filming multiple episodes at once), but this episode really feels like it was done in such a way not to conflict with 14 and to allow simultaneous filming.
  • Why does the MOTW look like a Ninja Turtle?
takenoko wrote:What was Naaga doing in this episode. Was that supposed to be funny?
Yes, it's supposed to be funny. He's the comic relief in an episode where they wanted to sacrifice a little girl. No, it's not actually funny.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Here's another thing about Hame. Why doesn't she do ninja stuff when she's NOT transformed? Why give her a ninja backstory, and only have her do ninja stuff when in combat and stuff, when it's least useful? Spying, stealth, recon, these are all things she can do as regular Hame. But instead, her only quirk as a character is being kind of dumb and shallow.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

But Ninninger taught me that ninjas don't hide and are loud and brash assholes!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:But Ninninger taught me that ninjas don't hide and are loud and brash assholes!
And that is a legitimate personality, if not a highly annoying one. :shock:
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Hame episode is all I want, yet all I keep getting is Ninninger flashback.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5

Another good episode, well at least we know Hame's backstory? (She's a ninja after all)

Let's be honest does anyone fantasized Raptor 283 in bikinis?

Last part, is Stinger & Scorpio story (just like Sasuke & Itachi)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Shit episode. It's not really Hame focused at all. Her mocking the monster was really out of character for her as well.

Again, Naga being in form helps make it bearable.

One thing I will note, I feel like when Lucky uses his quote in the context of actually being lucky like in this episode with the sea creature, it works and is fine.
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

So Hame does ninja stuff, but only now is it actually prominent? She could have turned invisible against Squidward, or whatever the hell his name was, and gotten over that millions of eyes thing.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

I normally enjoy stories about a group of people worshiping a false god (the most recent example I can think of that worked would be The Rings of Akhaten from Doctor Who), but this one kinda fell flat for me. We finally get a Hame episode and they don't really do anything with it which is upsetting. I want to like her character, but the series isn't doing much to make that possible.
takenoko wrote:What was Naaga doing in this episode. Was that supposed to be funny?
I'm wondering that myself. Normally I enjoy Naaga's antics, but this time around he just left me scratching my head. Why did he pretend to be one of the villagers? Please, can someone give me an explanation for this?

The little bit we got with Champ and Stinger was fairly enjoyable, however, and kept the episode from going below a 3 for me.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I like humor that's played straight, but I feel like they played Naaga a bit too close to the chest this time. I guess the joke is that he decided to infiltrate the villagers and at the end, got lost into the role. But it feels like it could have used a line of explanation at some point just to know what Naaga's intentions were.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Catastrophe wrote:Shit episode. It's not really Hame focused at all. Her mocking the monster was really out of character for her as well.
What are you talking about? Mocking everyone is Hame's specialty especially from first few episodes she was not doing that lately but she was doing it to an annoying level at first episodes to degree that it was as much annoying as Lucky saying Lucky.
Hyboran Tigersen
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: In order to protect others you must first learn to protect yourself.
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Hyboran Tigersen »

takenoko wrote:Here's another thing about Hame. Why doesn't she do ninja stuff when she's NOT transformed? Why give her a ninja backstory, and only have her do ninja stuff when in combat and stuff, when it's least useful? Spying, stealth, recon, these are all things she can do as regular Hame. But instead, her only quirk as a character is being kind of dumb and shallow.

I have to agree.

It has been very excitable hearing about this character, being the first female green ranger and having ninja moves. She would shine better being able to use ninjitsu non-powered, much like how Naga can use his powers without armoring up.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

as far as the naga issues go ....
i sort of thought AT FIRST, since he was a theif, he joined the natives to gain their trust and then steal away the Ho Kyuutama. he even sold out the rest of his team. next he offered himself as a sacrafice, a means to get close to the enemy. since he though the kyuurangers were on earth, he likely wouldnt know them with the helmet off.
at least thats was to me what it seemed like naga was trying to do ... who knows ...

but come on! Raptor did something this week!
Hame backstory was week but its better than what we have been getting and she helped another shy little girl. no, whether she spoke up or not would have mattered. hell they could have used their voyagers gone after the moraimazu ship and been done with it. but this was Hame giving back to another shy little girl, helping her to be brave. Remember! Super Sentai always helped kids! watching older sentai it seemed many have a younger kid friend that they'd kind hang with. and its like they actually have powers too, since both Spada and Raptor exhibited that their signs abilites quite fully here. the kaijiki attack though was ... special.
speaking of older sentai, maybe a jab or throw back to the old summer/swimsuit episodes?

and also good for the writers! they juggled TWO stories lines within 1 episodes, ALL through out the episode, not just at the end! bravo!

Lucky's Lucky no jutsu seemed to be far more effective that any of Takaharu's gogogo no jutsus.

QUESTION!
what are the henchmen called? they seem to say "Gyio" and "Dabe", are they Gyiodabe? or are some "gyio" and same "dabe"?
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Sorry I accidentally voted a five on this one. I don't even watch this show but I'm on my phone and I somehow ended up on this page instead of the Kamen rider one and since it's in the mobile layout format I didn't realize I was on the wrong page until after I clicked submit .

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”