KyuuRanger Space.16 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
46%
☆☆☆☆
35%
☆☆☆
4%
☆☆
No votes
15%

Total votes: 26
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.16 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.13 / 5 (23 votes)

Alternate Title - Black guy dies trope

That was a pretty good episode, for a KyuuRanger episode. Scorpio revealing that he's a double agent left me with mixed feelings at first, since it's basically just a rip off of Stinger's storyline.

But having him turn out to be an evil bastard was a nice touch. I also was totally not expecting Champ to sacrifice himself. Although, it sounds like he'll be back, unfortunately.

Was going to give this episode a 5 for its seriousness and dramatic take, but then Lucky opened his mouth, and ruined the tone. So down to 4 stars.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.16 released

Post by PHurricane »

Plot-wise, this episode shook things up quite a bit. Champ will be inevitably be repaired, but he may not be the character - oh, wait - they were just starting to develop his character past throwing the word “justice” into every sentence, so the audience won’t be losing that much. Okay, I'm exaggerating a (little) bit, but I was still surprised that they “killed” one of the heroes, especially this early in the series. Pity that it was just because Stinger was being the crybaby that Scorpio accused him of and tried to commit suicide-by-fratricide.

I really hope this is the wake-up call Stinger so desperately needs to stop being so whiny-broody. For me, that character is still one of the least likeable despite being one of the most fleshed out, both in terms of backstory and relationships (with Champ and Kyoutarou). Maybe if Stinger goes to HQ, Kyoutarou can knock some sense into him.

I figured Scorpio was planning a double-cross for most of the episode (although there were enough details in Scorpio’s story that made me question if he could be telling the truth) but the minute Stinger started telling his brother about the Argo Ship I knew the betrayal was imminent. Scorpio as a rival for both factions - in a race with the KyuuRangers to get the last Argo Ship KyuuTama while also aiming to overthrow Don Armage - is a neat setup. It doesn’t hurt that Kubota has more presence as a mere voice than most of the characters we’ve been introduced to so far.

And it was a little detail, but I really dug the way Scorpio wrapped his tail around his leg to enhance his kick attack. I hope at some point in the future we see Sasori develop a similar technique, since he still has the tail loose after transforming.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Hey Toei, you haven't killed Big Boss for real. You haven't at all.

So Kubota wants to achieve what his friend Kei Hosogai (Basco) didn't care about much for. Alright then. I await splendid results.

Spoiler
Theory: Champ's potential repair sitrep may remind of KiRanger's actor change from Goranger's run. If they run it like this via altered memory, it'll feel like KiRanger was changed.

Good episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMP!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ONORE SCORPIO!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Champ will revive in the next few episodes, even if his memory erased. I CANNOT FORGIVE SCORPIO!!!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's betrayal week here on Super Hero Time!

I don't think that episode was quite as good as it could have been - when Stinger isn't brooding, he's really insufferable - but it was an enjoyable episode. Anyone "dying", even if it's just a robot, wasn't something I was expecting for this series. Sentai has its occasional death, but I can't immediately think of anything quite like this so early in the series. Even if Champ can be repaired (making it a temporary death), it still raises the stakes a bit.

And man, the scorpion brothers really do love their betrayals, don't they? The writers are clearly channeling the Scorpion & the Frog here. It's fitting, but it also means that Scorpio vs. Stinger better have a dynamite ending later in the series.

Meanwhile the fight scenes were well done this week; we got some nice aerial shots and some rope swinging as well. Bonus points for putting all 10 rangers to work as well, and not leaving people on the ship to mill around! However the mecha fight was noticeably brief. At this point it's been a few weeks since we've gotten anything besides a brief fight, so I'm very curious as to whether there's a reason for it.

And I guess Octopussy died again? She's even more girly this time around, but her last personality barely had any screen time, so maybe I'm reading that wrong.
takenoko wrote:Alternate Title - Black guy dies trope
Bot lives matter!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think Octopussy's new thing this time is her weapon. She was just using guns previously and now she's using a spiked mace.
RyuShinEX
Go Go!

Post by RyuShinEX »

so the new thing they try with toku is betrayal stuff from naruto?

bet stinger will return with the little boy too
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

I was not expecting any of this.

This is not OKyuu.
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

No 720p versions of Kyuranger & Amazons this week?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

How far in advance are episodes written and filmed usually? I wonder if sending characters away to HQ is just the showrunners realising they can't balance a large cast at all.

Of course, they temporarily kill off a character with an expensive seiyuu as well. Hmmmm.

My conspiracy theories aside, I've did enjoy the twist with Scorpio just being a massive asshole.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I feel like they start filming in the fall for the new show, so about 2-4 months in advance. So if they receive feedback that episode 1 is bad, so very bad, we the viewer probably won't see the result of that for 8-12 episodes in.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I liked this episode, a clear 4.

I just noticed that the bandana Champ had on his arm was actually his Kyuranger jacket xD
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

*facefaults at last post* Moving on...

With this and the last couple of episodes, I feel we're starting to get a balance between comedy and drama in this series... so long as we don't add Lucky to the mix, whether he's being dramatic or his usual exuberant self. Lucky's issues are a whole separate trope page, and therefore have their own balance issues.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

If people didn't point out stuff like that, I honestly wouldn't notice it.
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

This was a big surprise. Not that Scorpio was being a traitorous but that they killed Champ (only temporarily, but it was still a chock).
Though I wouldn't have guessed that half of Scorpio's face would look a bit like a Predator face (or Booba from Changeman).
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”