KyuuRanger Space.28 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
20%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.28 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.58 / 5 (12 votes)

Alternate Title - I was a BN Thief until I took an arrow to a knee
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.28 released

Post by Slowking »

Did shit just get real????

I like how the Naaga plot isn't getting resolved too quickly. And surprised Akyanbaa is still around.

The camerawork during the Balance vs. Naaga fight on the steps was pretty good too.
Behold the Emperor!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

We decided to use Full Bottle instead of Furu Bottle for now on because there's an Empty Bottle.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

1/5

Naaga is still evil, I don't like it. I ABSOLUTELY REALLY DON'T LIKE IT!!!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So I have to say, after so many episodes of Kyuuranger disappointed me in some way or another, this is the first episode I can wholeheartedly give a 5 to. Important things happened, there were plot twists, and the Naaga problem wasn't quickly resolved in one episode. All of a sudden, this show has a real plot with real stakes! Hell, this episode even kept Lucky's annoying tendencies to a minimum.

I really can't say enough nice about the first fight. I don't know why every fight can't be like that, but whoever the action director was for this episode, they were on top of their game. They made perfect use of the first-person camera, and the faked long take with the individual Rangers transforming was excellently done. Combined with the actual proper(!) use of shaky cam, and it sells the fact that this is a hectic battle, and not a prearranged duel between sides where everyone gets a chance to first setup (as Sentai usually is). And how Nagaa treated Balance was genuinely heartbreaking.

What I wasn't in any way expecting (and perhaps I should have) was that we'd find out that Balance had been a bad influence on Naaga. While it's kind of obvious that thieving was more Balance's thing, taking advantage of Naaga to escape actually adds a wrinkle of complexity to this. Naaga wanted to know more about emotions, and to Balance's credit, he held up his end of the bargain in as much as he did what he could. But Balance is also indirectly responsible for the current situation, both by getting Naaga into this mess and by fueling his desire to learn more about his emotions (which we've now learned is a bad thing). It's complexity!

The back-half of the episode was equally good. Again we get some nice shots (especially rolling down the steps, of all things) and a good fight. Lucky even makes tactical use of his power-ups for once. Otherwise, it's how that fight ended that was the most interesting part. Beating your teammate senseless to bring them back to their senses is a Sentai staple. So Balance holding Naaga down while they both on the receiving end of a finishing attack was dramatic enough. But then, defying the tropes, it failed, and now Naaga is angrier than ever. It again subverts expectations, but it also means that this isn't a problem that was solved in one episode. Which is fine by me, because I'll take a dozen more episodes like this, please! Heck, this episode was so good that I can even overlook the fact that they're once again abusing the Gemini Kyuutama. (Also, stupid heroes, why would you believe the villain is telling you the truth about how to fix Naaga?! :P )

On a side note, I'm really digging the Dark Seiza Blaster's jingles all being in a minor key. Yeah, it's a very basic trick, but it works well here. Dark Change really does sound sinister. I do wish however that the Silver suit was more dramatically altered, especially as this is going on for a few episodes. Throwing some drapes and some vinyl stickers on it is okay, but doing a new chest-piece - say, making the eye a permanent fixture and adding some purple stripes - would have looked all the better. Also creepy: Naaga's actor in drag to play the women of his species, especially when there's a female voice over as well.:o

Oh, and I can't forget the B-plot with the other half of the team. So Don Armage really was destroyed in the past; Tsurugi didn't fail. But more importantly, we finally get to meet Orion, whom the series has been teasing for a while. Quick show of hands: was anyone here not expecting Orion to be evil? :P

Finally, what's that Stinger movie ad I saw in the CMs? Has this been announced before? I don't recall seeing it (though I do recall the High School Wars), but I'd think a spin-off movie would get a little more fare? Sentai has never had a spin-off movie released during the series proper like this before, so I'm very curious as to what's going on.
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am Quick show of hands: was anyone here not expecting Orion to be evil? :p
You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

Another thing:

This arc will focus Balance and Naaga

About Tsurugi's team in the past, may be the ORION-Gou is damage due to the planet's destruction and crashes through Earth.
And a mysterious man saved them (I think he's Orion just like Eris said).

Spoiler
About next episode, Lucky would go to the past thanks to the Tokei Kyuutama, my thoughts are Lucky will defeat Akyanbaa in the past in other words it will change the future and save Naaga. Time will tell for that.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 am
ViRGE wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am Quick show of hands: was anyone here not expecting Orion to be evil? :p
You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain
It sounds like you're well-prepared for the eventualy AkaRed V-Cinema where he's the villain. :wink:
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am Finally, what's that Stinger movie ad I saw in the CMs? Has this been announced before? I don't recall seeing it (though I do recall the High School Wars), but I'd think a spin-off movie would get a little more fare? Sentai has never had a spin-off movie released during the series proper like this before, so I'm very curious as to what's going on.
It's the Episode of Stinger V-Cinema that was previously announced a few months back.
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

I like this episode and the direction it went with the story and that the current conflict didn't get resolved so easily.

Oh, and a random piece of trivia. Kukulger is based on the Mayan snake god of storms, though I wonder if he will have any storm powers.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

yay the Naga turned to the Jark side is not completely resolved in the span of two to three episodes but now we got a female Naga and a time paradox
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

so i guess lucky can control who gets the Taiyo mode buff now since Naga didnt get powered up too.
and none of the other rangers get the buff? i was sure in saint seiya scorpion was a gold cloth and the gold cloths were the closest to the sun hence the gold color. so i would think .... but why be consistant ... TOEI ...

in the previous last week i felt they were being cheap having Naga dress in drag to be a woman from his home world but no ... everyone has the same face .... neat?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

If they can use the Gemini power to make duplicate voyagers, why can't they make unlimited copies to crush Jark Matter?

Balance still proving he is best boy. And they didn't forget about Sun powering him up like they did with some other things (cough Pegasus cough).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 pm If they can use the Gemini power to make duplicate voyagers, why can't they make unlimited copies to crush Jark Matter?
The CGI department won't budget for it!
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

and the show would have been over in less than three episodes
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B