KyuuRanger Movie released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:13 am

☆☆☆☆☆
10%
☆☆☆☆
20%
☆☆☆
40%
☆☆
20%
10%

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Movie released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Uchuu_Sent ... _Gyakushuu

Movie only exists for the moment when Kereberos robot stops the Geth Star, and you see the shot of the battle on three different overlapping scales.

Shou was gone the perfect amount of time for a death fakeout. He showed up nearly exactly at the halfway point. Any more or less would have seen either too pointless or insulting.

Nitpicks:
-Shou flying out the space lock was real crummy looking effects
-Go to an ice planet and get immediately transported into a wrestling match
-Splitting up to get 3 things is pretty much a mini version of the Argos Ship and 4 Perseus KyuuTama arcs
-I was watching the movie at 1.5 speed, why did the villain need the Kerberos stuff when he had the Geth Star? Edit: I guess he doesn't? Why was he interested in destroying the Earth in the first place? He made it sound like that was his way of obtaining the Kerberos Stones, but he had his own men going to retrieve those stones. I know these movies have to be condensed, but come on. Did the script get rewritten halfway through? He says he wants to get revenge on Shou, but he gets that early on. So did they just decide to make him power hungry with the intent to use Kerberos to become a conqueror. But none of that explains why he built the Geth Star or why he wants to destroy the Earth, which he has no connection to.
-I was going to say the main villain's motives were pretty tenuous, but then, I realized he was right. Why'd Shou treat him so badly?
-Would have been nice to see how Shou ended up surviving.
-Speaking of which, by the point the movie came out, Tsurugi had been around for about a month. Why doesn't he appear till after the halfway point?
-Despite the selling point that they'd be on three different planets, I don't really remember any of them standing out except the motorcycle planet
-I wanted to like the motorcycle sequence, but I honestly thought it was just really weird that Lucky was riding Garou. (Post your furry fanfictions about this scene here!)
-KyuuRanger: We have enough members to create a mini Super Hero Taisen clusterfuck rock quarry battle every week!

A lot of shots were pretty, like the cockpit shots at the beginning and the fireworks at the end. I think the fast pacing probably puts the movie above a typical episode in terms of enjoyment to annoying factors ratio. Normally the mediocre summer movie is the low point of the series, but the movie does a pretty good job at capturing the best parts of KyuuRanger.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KyuuRanger Movie released

Post by Lunagel »

And then everyone dies anyway because knocking away the moon has fucked up the tides and the Earth's orbit was permanently altered due to the Geth Star's gravity. Horray.

Not great but not horrible. Razor Ramon HG was totally wasted as the Oumo Indabee, he didn't even get a human part.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I I were a logical individual, I would have long ago given up on these movies. However perhaps I'm a gluten for punishment, but I keep watching them. And movies like this one are the very rare reward that keep me watching.

Overall this is a good movie. It's not by any means perfect, but it's a solid 4/5 effort. Which is a lot more than I can say for the past few movies, which have ranged from inoffensive (at best) to downright terrible.

The rapid pace of the movie is both a boon and a drawback. The fact that the movie doesn't get muddled down for any length of time is to its benefit, least it gets trapped in melodrama or saccharine sweetness. The flip side of that is that it's definitely not a deep movie, as even excusing the 33 minute runtime, there's no time to go deep due to just how quickly it moves.

The action is once again top notch. And I like that someone at Toei other than Sakamoto can do some good wirework (it's still not as good as Koichi's, but it's good enough). Also, I could do with some more of Champ wrestling.

The plot isn't quite as grand, but it certainly works. Killing off PimpCommander is a bit silly because you know he's not really dead, but as Takenoko correctly notes, it's at least handled well and he's brought back at precisely the right time. Plus I'm all for a movie where PimpCommander gets to be the big damn hero.:D

This movie could stand to be either a little more or a little less related to the ongoing series plot though. It seems to me that given his desire for Planesium, Don Armage shouldn't be okay with one of his underlings destroying the galaxy's best source of the stuff: Earth.

Finally, it's nice to see that we're getting (mostly) unique suits for the movie robo again. Kerberios is still just a KyuurenOh modification, but that's a step up from last year's Jyuohger kitbash. I don't know how the poor suit actor got around in something so top-heavy, but it does look pretty good on the screen. Especially when it was rising above the clouds. I could have gone for a slightly longer and less CGI-heavy robo fight though.

Oh, and helmetless rangers! Yay! :D

PS Fracking? It sounds like Balance needs to watch his frelling mouth.:o
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:00 am PS Fracking? It sounds like Balance needs to watch his frelling mouth.:o
Balance is always using bad slang, so I thought it was fitting. I'm surpised qc let me get away with it though
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Geth Star? And we didn't get a trench run set piece. Shame.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I don't know how to feel about this movie.

We jump straight into the action which feels a little off pacing wise on one hand but on the other hand we don't worry about talk talk talk and other crap for a bit.

So the bad guy has the Geth star and wants Kelberos voyager for evil purposes? Come on dude you already have a death star why do you need a red mecha repaint? plus he was kicked out of the rebellion for researching Kelberos so what was he expecting when he was kicked out that everyone would be okay with his insane plan?

as for the others, why wasn't Kotaro on the Orion with the others when they went to search for the stones and where was Tsurugi at the start of the movie? and Shou just got shot in the chest and he's alive and well by the end of it?! Come on movie. this feels like crap

I don't remember in mythology where Cerberus would have the same effect as a werewolf or maybe I missed something since it just grew so big it made Gigant Houou look like the size of a regular senshi. Though it's awesome. speaking of the moon, does this mean that the moon in Kyuranger is permanently like such?
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am -I was going to say the main villain's motives were pretty tenuous, but then, I realized he was right. Why'd Shou treat him so badly?
Generally speaking, when you're actively trying to take over the universe or dig up the tools to do so, people take a dim view to what you're doing.
-Would have been nice to see how Shou ended up surviving.
Tsurugi performed mouth-to-mouth. :shock:
-I wanted to like the motorcycle sequence, but I honestly thought it was just really weird that Lucky was riding Garou. (Post your furry fanfictions about this scene here!)
That really was out of left field. It did get a chuckle out of me, but man, this series really likes making Garou the butt of its jokes. (I guess the idea is that Lucky was riding his trusty animal companion into battle?)
takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am
ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:00 am PS Fracking? It sounds like Balance needs to watch his frelling mouth.:o
Balance is always using bad slang, so I thought it was fitting. I'm surpised qc let me get away with it though
I thought his schtick was a bunch of old, dated phrases? I didn't realize he was cursing. :lol:
Kurokage X wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pmwhere was Tsurugi at the start of the movie?
The 6th Ranger missing for most of the summer movie is practically a trope at this point. I have to assume they split the time in order to free the actor up to work on other production matters. The movie is filmed farther in advance than the series (more post-production required) so I have to assume this is right when the 6th-heavy intro episodes are being filmed.
Catastrophe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:47 am The Geth Star? And we didn't get a trench run set piece. Shame.
I thought of that as well. But besides the obvious question of how much they can riff on Star Wars before it's no longer a legal/protected use, there's the fact that a trench run on the Sentai movie's CGI budget just wouldn't look very good.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm
takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am -I was going to say the main villain's motives were pretty tenuous, but then, I realized he was right. Why'd Shou treat him so badly?
Generally speaking, when you're actively trying to take over the universe or dig up the tools to do so, people take a dim view to what you're doing.
But then why is he mad at Shou like he had him all wrong? I know it might just be crazy bad guy narcissism, but it felt like at some point in the movie, Shou throwing him out was an overreaction.

It just felt like they screwed up the setup. Like they should have had the bad guy obviously rotten to the core from the very beginning, or removed the ambiguity.

Honestly, we're probably giving more thought to the story than the creators did, so I'll just drop it there.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:10 pm Honestly, we're probably giving more thought to the story than the creators did, so I'll just drop it there.
:lol: Yeah, I'd say that's true.

As for the villain of the movie, perhaps he was envisioned as being a villain who thought he was doing good. No one has ever said you have to be sane to be evil.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Kurokage X wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pm as for the others, why wasn't Kotaro on the Orion with the others when they went to search for the stones and where was Tsurugi at the start of the movie? and Shou just got shot in the chest and he's alive and well by the end of it?! Come on movie. this feels like crap
Those two were extra rangers/heroes in the first place. By default, their screen time is shorter.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Is the Geth Star a reference to the Death Star? Seems like it right?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

njb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 am Is the Geth Star a reference to the Death Star? Seems like it right?
Yeah, it's the first thing I listed:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Uchuu_Sent ... huu#Trivia
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Either that or a cheap Chinese rip off.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

don't think it has a laser that can blow up a planet
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B