KyuuRanger Space.41 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
No votes
17%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.41 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.2 / 5 (5 votes)

Alt title: Yeah yeah Star Wars

I actually was enjoying this episode up till the end. It had a good hand to hand fight, Garou actually seemed to be doing stuff, it had some good plot stuff that wasn't bogged down by inappropriate comedy bits, the new villain is sporting a cool samurai design.

Even the stuff with the Southern King. I wasn't satisfied with how Lucky just happened to overcome his nightmare and knew to strike behind himself, but the rest of it was a decent gimmick fight. And Lucky knocking Southern King into the energy pillar was cool.

Now for the bad part. You blew your King Aslan wad too early. Here's my emotional reaction timeline:
-Preview from last week - Oh, Lucky's dad is still alive, that's disappoint
-Oh, Garou and Caeser have super good smelling abilities, I guess that's how they're going to reveal the masked man is Aslan
-Oh, actually Aslan is just an illusion created by the Southern King. The masked man will probably be someone else in Lucky's life
-Nope, it's just Aslan under the mask. That sucks, because between the heavy-handed signaling, familiarity with Star Wars, the imposter king on Planet Cayenne, and the fakeout earlier, I just didn't have any emotions left to give a shit about this revelation. They overplay their hand. This is like the third or fourth instance of Aslan, you can't expect me to get excited again if you keep repeating yourself!

I mean, the nods to Star Wars are cool when they're nods and easter eggs. Like the references in the Kyuu movie are fine, since they don't interfere with the story. Just having the dad turn out to be a masked villain is a well-done trope at this fine. And it's fine to invoke a trope, but you should at least be aware of what you're doing so that you can do it in a smart way, which doesn't feel like the case here.

Other uncool stuff, sacrificing Garou to make Lucky unhinged enough to blow the masked guy's mask off (they don't even give the guy a name before his identity is revealed). Then making it all about Lucky (annoying) and having act frantic just after being Mr. Cool Guy in the ultimate suit. It's just super jarring because the series has no sense of pacing. They should have introduced this masked villain sooner, given him a name, a chance to be something villainous before the revelation (AKA, replace Mecha Maadakko with him).

I still think the episode is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. The stuff that bothers me might not bother other people, and it's one of the more fun plot-relevant episodes in a while for KyuuRanger.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KyuuRanger Space.41 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Nah, I'm with you. It would have been better if Aslan was dead the whole time. The fact that they've used to fakes and still have the real one is stupid.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

I'd just like to point out that the torrent was listed as "KyuuRnager" in the torrent site again.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

By and large it's a good episode, but the complaints about Lucky's father are spot-on. I really just don't give a rat's ass at this point. Now if it had been his mother under the mask, that would have been an interesting twist. But this? :|

What's with Sentai Reds having daddy issues the last few years, anyhow?

And man, the kid has moves.:o
njb wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:52 pm I'd just like to point out that the torrent was listed as "KyuuRnager" in the torrent site again.
Dyslexics of the world untie!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pmWhat's with Sentai Reds having daddy issues the last few years, anyhow?
They're always daddy issues. Mom's usually dead or just not even mentioned. Probably both in Lucky's case. How can a woman raise a manly man???

The only time you see a mother is if it's a daughter or child character, like Mako's mom from Shinkenger or Kou from DaiRanger. The only important toku mom that I can think of for an adult was Kouga and his mom in the Garo special.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

MagiMother!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Died right away.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Fakeout, and she came back later
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pmWhat's with Sentai Reds having daddy issues the last few years, anyhow?
They're always daddy issues. Mom's usually dead or just not even mentioned. Probably both in Lucky's case. How can a woman raise a manly man???
The last few years in particular though it's been a recurring plot point. Ninnin, Jyuoh, and Kyuu's reds have all had (grand)daddy issues. Whereas in the fewer seasons before that, parents may have been mentioned, but they weren't a major character conflict for the Red of the group.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 am Fakeout, and she came back later
Spoilers! And it doesn't matter, you can't start a Japanese hero's journey without offing the mom first. It's hero making 101!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 am
Lunagel wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 am Fakeout, and she came back later
Spoilers! And it doesn't matter, you can't start a Japanese hero's journey without offing the mom first. It's hero making 101!
I thought that was a Disney movie rule?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 amThe only important toku mom that I can think of for an adult was Kouga and his mom in the Garo special.
Ryuugas mother in Yami as well.

In fact, I think mothers are fairly important in most Garo works.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

And then there's Choushinsei Flashman where you have the parents but the plot becomes trying to figure out which team member's their child.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

so, im curious if Tsurugi faultering to transform is a hint to anything. like is he near the end of his mortality?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

midorininger wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:33 pm so, im curious if Tsurugi faultering to transform is a hint to anything. like is he near the end of his mortality?
An excellent point. And yeah, that's what I'd wager. He's the Obi-Wan.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”