KyuuRanger year in review: Were we too harsh?

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
JKPhage
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

KyuuRanger year in review: Were we too harsh?

Post by JKPhage »

I mean... do you guys ever think you might be a bit harsh in your judgements? Yeah, it's not exactly Shakespearean, but... it's Super Sentai. It's literally a kids show. It's not supposed to be especially deep. Yes, some seasons manage to be a bit deeper than others or have a bit stronger plots, but it still boils down to a bunch of adults in technicolor spandex fighting armies of bad guys in Godzilla suits. It's not supposed to be anything other than fun and entertaining, and I think it was exactly that. Kyuuranger took a while to hit it's stride, but over that time I got to know the characters well enough. Yeah, none of them have particularly in-depth backstories, but they're all likeable in their own special ways. They don't have to have 70 pages worth of backstory for me to enjoy them. It was a few episodes before the series really hooked me, but once it did I was more than happy to just roll with the punches and enjoy the ride.

It may not be the best series ever, but I really enjoyed the cast, I loved the costumes and the style and overall I'll remember it fondly. I thought this episode was a great set up for the finale and I look forward to seeing an amazing final role call with all 12 members followed by an all-out brawl that they spent the entirety of their remaining special effects budget on. I expect to see Stinger using that tail all over the place, Raptor flying everywhere, Naaga paralyzing folks, Kotarou stomping around as a giant, Hame going invisible, Lucky teleporting and using his cape tentacles and anything else they decide to pull out for the big finish. It may not be the most powerful script they've ever written, but I do expect it to be one of the most fun final battles ever for the sheer number of members with unique abilities and styles plus the ability to field four giant robots at once.

I'm gonna miss watching Kyuuranger and hearing that cheesy, over-the-top announcer voice that happened every time they used any kind of kyuutama-related power. It was fun and colorful and just overall amusing, which is exactly what I expected from it. It was something I could tune into without having to scream about a mystery/twist cliff-hanger every week and just enjoy a bunch of colorful super heroes being heroes. I'm looking forward to Lupin vs Pat for sure, especially with the potential for both teams to expand and/or unite at some point for a truly diverse cast of characters, but coming off of Kyuuranger it's gonna take some time for me to adjust to characters that are probably going to be a bit less exuberant. Kyuuranger has spoiled me for having a cast of very strong personalities, even if they weren't particularly fleshed-out. I'll enjoy seeing how dark this next season goes, especially coming off of something that practically vomited rainbows out of my screen for several months.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.47 released

Post by Lunagel »

JKPhage wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm I mean... do you guys ever think you might be a bit harsh in your judgements? Yeah, it's not exactly Shakespearean, but... it's Super Sentai. It's literally a kids show. It's not supposed to be especially deep. Yes, some seasons manage to be a bit deeper than others or have a bit stronger plots, but it still boils down to a bunch of adults in technicolor spandex fighting armies of bad guys in Godzilla suits. It's not supposed to be anything other than fun and entertaining, and I think it was exactly that.
If all Super Sentai were like Kyuuranger then I'd agree with you, but we've had some fantastic series that *did* get especially deep and were entertaining to boot. It comes up short in all things except in spectacle, and that's the bare minimum to keep kids' attention.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

JKPhage wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm I mean... do you guys ever think you might be a bit harsh in your judgements? Yeah, it's not exactly Shakespearean, but... it's Super Sentai. It's literally a kids show. It's not supposed to be especially deep. Yes, some seasons manage to be a bit deeper than others or have a bit stronger plots, but it still boils down to a bunch of adults in technicolor spandex fighting armies of bad guys in Godzilla suits. It's not supposed to be anything other than fun and entertaining, and I think it was exactly that. Kyuuranger took a while to hit it's stride, but over that time I got to know the characters well enough. Yeah, none of them have particularly in-depth backstories, but they're all likeable in their own special ways. They don't have to have 70 pages worth of backstory for me to enjoy them. It was a few episodes before the series really hooked me, but once it did I was more than happy to just roll with the punches and enjoy the ride.

It may not be the best series ever, but I really enjoyed the cast, I loved the costumes and the style and overall I'll remember it fondly. I thought this episode was a great set up for the finale and I look forward to seeing an amazing final role call with all 12 members followed by an all-out brawl that they spent the entirety of their remaining special effects budget on. I expect to see Stinger using that tail all over the place, Raptor flying everywhere, Naaga paralyzing folks, Kotarou stomping around as a giant, Hame going invisible, Lucky teleporting and using his cape tentacles and anything else they decide to pull out for the big finish. It may not be the most powerful script they've ever written, but I do expect it to be one of the most fun final battles ever for the sheer number of members with unique abilities and styles plus the ability to field four giant robots at once.

I'm gonna miss watching Kyuuranger and hearing that cheesy, over-the-top announcer voice that happened every time they used any kind of kyuutama-related power. It was fun and colorful and just overall amusing, which is exactly what I expected from it. It was something I could tune into without having to scream about a mystery/twist cliff-hanger every week and just enjoy a bunch of colorful super heroes being heroes. I'm looking forward to Lupin vs Pat for sure, especially with the potential for both teams to expand and/or unite at some point for a truly diverse cast of characters, but coming off of Kyuuranger it's gonna take some time for me to adjust to characters that are probably going to be a bit less exuberant. Kyuuranger has spoiled me for having a cast of very strong personalities, even if they weren't particularly fleshed-out. I'll enjoy seeing how dark this next season goes, especially coming off of something that practically vomited rainbows out of my screen for several months.
Because it is kid show, the main char like Lucky should be good-character with good development, rather than shout yossha lucky and just wait for his luck to solve everything. How would kid learn through Lucky character?

The acting of Kyuranger cast is not good at all. Because there are many good Super Sentai series before, so compare the acting with Shinkenger, Gokaiger, the cast of Kyuranger is below average, especially Lucky, Hamy, Stinger. The saver of this show with me is the 5 doll rangers with good voice actors.

The most problem of this show is also focus too much on Lucky, and he got worst development as well. The rest of cast is boring, not attractive at all. Moreover, the villain is boring, weak personality.

If you watched Changeman, Liveman, Dairanger, Gingaman, Timeranger, Shinkenger, Go-Busters or recently ToQger, the final episodes is better than Kyuranger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I definitely feel like I'm being overly critical of KyuuRanger. But after being beat down with three Sentai in a row of bad to mediocre characters and stories, I'm literally sort of done. That's why I'm just watching the first episode of Lupin VS Pat and leaving the project to others if they wish to pick it up.

Thinking bad, I think we're pretty lucky that the 10 years from 2004-2014 was as good as it was, with the only possible exception of Goseiger. But Goseiger was just one year, and maybe this is my old man brain in effect, I don't remember writing a year's worth of dumb catchphrases for the show. Ever since Ninninger came around, the characters have been as interesting as the talking toys they promote, repetitive and lacking any characterization or relational development.

Let's look back. From Ninninger, I liked Kasumi for being smart and Nagi for being clever.

Jyuohger, I liked Amu for being a smart aleck kitty.

From KyuuRanger, I like ???. Oh, maybe that's why this show isn't fun for me to watch on a week to week basis. Yeah, maybe Naaga and Balance have some good moments, and Hame had one good episode to herself. But everything else has been a trash fire. And some characters like Raptor, Garou, Spada being nearly background characters with Champ barely being better.

But that's beside the point. At the end of the day, it's all just my subjective experience and slice of the fandom, and I'm just not having any fun with it. If you're enjoying it, that's awesome. That's why we do these subs. Please don't think of my opinions as an attack on something you care about.

Remember to vote in the series rating poll:
viewtopic.php?f=233&t=21124
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KyuuRanger year in review: Were we too harsh?

Post by ViRGE »

I'll save my final thoughts for after the finale airs. But no, I don't think we're being too harsh. Relative to say JyuOhger, an extremely mediocre show, Kyuuranger has offered higher highs with characters like Tsurugi and the Dark Naaga arc. But it has also offered lower lows, typically with bad comedy or dramatic moments that just don't work for one reason or another. This is pretty strongly reflected in the Red - who is always the face of a series - who has the face of a model and the leadership quality of a lemming. Which leads into what Luna said...
Lunagel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 pm If all Super Sentai were like Kyuuranger then I'd agree with you, but we've had some fantastic series that *did* get especially deep and were entertaining to boot. It comes up short in all things except in spectacle, and that's the bare minimum to keep kids' attention.
This is Kyuuranger in a nutshell. For most of its run it's been wasted potential. We know Sentai can do better because we've seen it do better. Which isn't to say it's terrible - there's a reason I'm still here watching this - but truly invigorating episodes are sadly few and far between as of late.

But the spectacle is at least on-point. Toei's done a good job working drones into their filming methods, for example.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I guess it might be an age thing combined with seasons watched that has most people down on it.

Take has a point with the quality of the season in the 2000s. I would make the argument that as far back as Jetman until ToQ, every series is of at least 'good', with the exception of possibly OhRanger. Compared with Rider post reboot, with has a lot of issues and debate. We've been spoilt in the past, and starting from Ninninger the series have ranged from offensively mediocre (Jyu) to shit (Kyu, Nin). Usually with Rider, if we get a bad season, the next one has something redeeming about it.

Between this and Pat vs Lup, you can tell they are attempting to change some stuff in the usual sentai formula in order to keep it fresh. The problem with KyuRanger is that they wasted the entire premise because they felt the need to give us 12 members at the half way mark. Our heroes are underdeveloped and uninteresting as characters because they've had fuckall screen time. Raptor has hardly done anything other than pilot the ship. Garu is supposed to be Luckys best friend but you never see this dynamic develop. The Dragon Commanders development was done the episode he became a Kyuranger and he's mostly just kept for comic relief. Other than the 2 Reds, the other members aren't relevant. Compare this with say Kyoruger, which had 10 members, but never at the expense of the main 6.

Also, I don't give a shit about Jark Matter because they felt to the need to constantly cycle through commanders. Usually you get an insight into their motivations and at one or two are sympathetic to a degree. But everyone in Jark Matter is just evil for the sake of it.

It's not Ghost bad, I'd say that's more Nininger. It's Ex-Aid bad where they had a whole heap of really good ideas but fucked it up because they wanted to sell a shit tonne of toys and didn't think what the implication would be on the show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am The problem with KyuRanger is that they wasted the entire premise because they felt the need to give us 12 members at the half way mark.
Also, I'd like to point out that this time last year, anyone in the fanbase who had their head on straight was shouting "That's too many characters, you're going to do a shitty job with the characterization/character stories!" And I don't think we were wrong to call that out.

Toei's in this weird place where they want to shake things up, but don't seem to want to invest the money needed to make those things good, interesting, or well developed. KyuuRanger could have been amazing, but instead it's like the laziest incarnation that I probably could have written if I were given writer duty.

Kyouryuuger is an excellent comparison point. It's got sooo many characters, but we love all those characters. They're fun, or quirky, or whatever. Some of those extras barely have any screen time, but they make such good use of it, and never feel superflous.

KyuuRanger, the first 3 rangers are mostly superfluous starting from episode 1. No wait, 4, since Garou gets added at the end. How do you reconcile that? If it were a normal year, the base team is garbage from the start. You've built a 9 ranger period on a base of crumbling dried poop.
Ryuuviolet
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Timeranger/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger/Fourze
Dreamy: Ayaka Konno <8
Favorite Actor?: Yuta Mochizuki :'(
Favorite Band: Metallica
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: KYULETTE THE CHANCE!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Ryuuviolet »

Wow, stepping into a TVN discussion forum for the first time in years!...

Well, in short, I actually loved and adored kyuuranger, which was why I had no problem roughly basing my userhandle on shou lonpou!

Only responding to a couple of points, just imo, I have watched jetman-kyuuranger, so even earlyish heisei I can appreciate that we aren't ever going to get sentai THAT deep or non pc anymore. I don't know anything about showa sentai, just what I hear from others about how deep and dark it is.

BUT my main part is that, I will say, just as jyuohger had the smart aleck kitty or ninninger had the scientist brainbox etc...

... i'm not saying there are original ideas, but I love how lucky is an optimistic baka red with heart and does take up most story as do most reds, I wonder how lupvpat will do?! how garou has some heartbreak history and is rough round the edges, how stinger has a deep backstory connected to his melon arms brother, hame is just peppy and cheeky, shou lonpou being a baka taichou (which isn't that common but I actually laugh at his gags) raptor, though i'm not big on the clever geek members, well, she is there, spada, champ and skyblue kid, hmmmm...

Well I guess i'll have to put some hard graft into lupvpat, yoroshiku!
IF YOU HIGHLIGHTED THIS TEXT TO READ WHAT I'VE WRITTEN, LUCKY YOU! YOU ARE A LUCKY STAR! KYULETTE THE CHANCE!!!
Mojikara
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Jasmine

Post by Mojikara »

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but if I'm correct, the staff at TV-N was also pretty harsh on Ex-Aid, even though it was extremely popular with most of the forum members here (myself included).
Another legend has left us too early...
--
On a lighter note:

There is training in
O o
/¯/________________________ _ __/
| FIRIN MAH LAZOR BLAAAAAAAAARGHH!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Mojikara wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm I know this is somewhat off-topic, but if I'm correct, the staff at TV-N was also pretty harsh on Ex-Aid, even though it was extremely popular with most of the forum members here (myself included).
I don't really remember how the other staff members felt about it, so just speaking for myself, I hated Ex-Aid. Or rather, I hated it, loved it, then hated it again. I've seen people in other chats say that they loved it, but I honestly didn't get it.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Kyuuranger lost me somewhere around the halfway point. Wait, no - my interest started waning when the Prince Lucky stuff that was telegraphed in, like, the second episode was confirmed, so I guess it took a little longer for me to reach the point of ambivalence. I really wanted to like this show, but it feels like they barely scratched the surface of the potential that the plot and cast set-up provided them with. Was it flashy enough to catch the attention of kids and make them want to run out and buy toys that were fun to play with? I haven't been following things like toy sales or television ratings, but I would assume it did well. But there's a way to accomplish those objectives and still tell a story that can survive past the year it airs. I've watched a lot of older sentai series over the past few years, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how engaging most of the stories are. The most recent one I finished was Fiveman. It was really enjoyable! All I knew when I started the first episode was that it the series where all the members are siblings, but I was immediately sucked in to the dynamics within their family, the villain group, and how they interacted with each other. It made me wish that sentai used a family theme again soon - and then I remembered that technically that was one of Ninninger's sub-themes. Or primary theme? I vaguely remember that family was important in the finale.

A character should have traits that are easily identifiable; a trait (or gimmick or catchphrase) should not be used as a substitute for a character. To be honest, Lucky wasn't that bad of a character - he'd seem to forget lessons he'd already learned at random points when the plot demanded - but I could never decide if the sheer number of times "Yossha Lucky!" was injected into the script made me want to roll my eyes, weep uncontrollably or hop on a plane to try to shake some sense into the folks inside the sentai writers room who have confused catchphrases for dialogue. And as befits the Red - both Reds, this year - their characters were fleshed out with backstories that influenced their motivations and reactions to the unfolding plot.

Garou was easily the biggest waste of a character. Like Takenoko pointed out in the last episode thread, the only thing they could flash back to for him was his fight with Lucky - which was his character debut! He did nothing for the story. Spada was a very close second, and that's because I forgot about his one episode of character development. And it's not that the writers have to dwell on backstory. In Gokaiger, for example, we didn't get a "backstory episode" for Luka, Ahim, or Doc until the final arc of the show. It didn't matter, because their personalities were so firmly ingrained in the minds of the audience in the initial episodes that everything clicked when their backstories were revealed to add more meaning to what had already transpired. Maybe they were just better actors, but I think somewhere along the way the writers have forgotten the importance of writing for all the characters in every episode. It could be a small thing - every detail contributes to creating a bigger picture.

It's hard to completely set aside the casting, because sometimes it just boils down to personal preference. There was never really any cast member that made me want to tune in week after week to see what happened next in their story. The Commander came close. As much as I liked the Stinger/Champ and Stinger/Koutarou relationships, I never liked Stinger's actor or the way they kept trying to shove his singing down the audience's throats. Same with Naaga. It may be a testament to the actor's skills, but watching him stumble through emotions was uncomfortable. If not for Naaga, Balance would have been another waste of a character. I liked Balance, but he was given so little material to work with and nothing I can think of separate from Naaga other than the birthday episode. (I prefer version 4.1 of that episode.) Raptor got lost in the background. That would have been fine if she was merely tech support, but not for someone that was supposed to be main cast and 1 of 9 saviors of the universe. That leaves Hame. She was the girl. She got an episode of development and was thrown on the periphery of several other plots because she had a human actress. I'm probably most disappointed about Hame because we had several hints toward bigger developments for her character that never amounted to anything.

And really, Toei?! 12 KyuuRangers, and you have 1 girl?! No, I'm not counting Raptor. She was pink and she had a female voice actor, but at the end of the day she's a robot. The only other recurring cast member I can think of that was female is that annoying guardian of the forest. Boys aren't going to stop watching the show if they see more than 2 girls on screen at a time. Oh, I guess there was also the annoying villain that messed with Naaga. Oh, and Tako. Hmph. All annoying. No wonder I forgot them.

But that brings me to the villains - what a mess! The hierarchy we were presented with early on had me really excited - there was a progression between the levels of command that would obviously correlate to the KyuuRangers improving their skills and obtaining new KyuuTama. Except it didn't. No matter what title they held, all the monsters were roughly the same level of difficulty. And the annoying ones kept coming back to life no matter how many times they were killed. (I miss you, Scorpio. And even Tako's partner who was too smug for his own good.) In the end, Don Armage's plans didn't make any sense. Maybe he went crazy since he was created from dark and depressing feelings.

One last specific peeve: the epilogue to the last episode? KyuuRanger already did a "what are they up to in the future" plot in the drama tracks from one of their soundtracks. (The third, if I'm not mistaken.) I'm not fluent, so I didn't catch 100% of what was being said, but I think some of the epilogue was not-inconsistent with the audio drama and have my doubts about the rest. Just one of those things that make me wonder why they would do an "in the future" epilogue if they've already written (and performed) some of what they intended to happen.

[I think I only briefly jumped into the forum discussions around the mid-way point, but I enjoyed Ex-Aid. There were parts I didn't like - such as Hiiro's arc late in the series - but it was a significant improvement over Ghost and I'm eager to see what the post-series trilogy brings.]
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 pm
Mojikara wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm I know this is somewhat off-topic, but if I'm correct, the staff at TV-N was also pretty harsh on Ex-Aid, even though it was extremely popular with most of the forum members here (myself included).
I don't really remember how the other staff members felt about it, so just speaking for myself, I hated Ex-Aid. Or rather, I hated it, loved it, then hated it again. I've seen people in other chats say that they loved it, but I honestly didn't get it.
I think if Ex-Aid didn't change the script from the second half, it is better series with dark story.

But the rating of this show is bad, comparing with Gaim, Ghost, Drive, so the second half is change the structure with Dan Kuroto become comedy characters, Masamune's introduce as main villain with boring action, Kiriya's revive for fan service and from Rider Wars, they become more and more look like Sentai.It leads Ex-Aid has first half is dark and second half is bright.

Comeback to Kyuranger, it's end and no VS movie with Zyuohger. Hope Koumura Junko can improve her writing skill in Lupin VS Pat, because Zyuohger is too medicore story and weak character personality. if not, I will put her in blacklist writer.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> It made me wish that sentai used a family theme again soon - and then I remembered that technically that was one of Ninninger's sub-themes. Or primary theme? I vaguely remember that family was important in the finale.

Yeah, that's the galling thing about Ninninger. You have the familial relationships baked in, and yet the main character is so superficial that none of his relationships matter. And the little sister is just a little sister stereotype. We get into it a bit with the dad, but it just felt like they could have told the story with them being total strangers and very little would have changed. Toei's really dropping the ball on characters having meaningful relationships with each other. Oh, but I still support NinninBlue's crush on his cousin.

>but I think somewhere along the way the writers have forgotten the importance of writing for all the characters in every episode. It could be a small thing - every detail contributes to creating a bigger picture.

This.

>I'm probably most disappointed about Hame because we had several hints toward bigger developments for her character that never amounted to anything.

Oh yeah, wasn't she a badass ninja or something? Why was that never a thing that came up in the story?

>One last specific peeve: the epilogue to the last episode? KyuuRanger already did a "what are they up to in the future" plot in the drama tracks from one of their soundtracks. (The third, if I'm not mistaken.) I'm not fluent, so I didn't catch 100% of what was being said, but I think some of the epilogue was not-inconsistent with the audio drama and have my doubts about the rest. Just one of those things that make me wonder why they would do an "in the future" epilogue if they've already written (and performed) some of what they intended to happen.

Oh that's weird, I didn't know about that.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

PHurricane wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pmThe most recent one I finished was Fiveman. It was really enjoyable! All I knew when I started the first episode was that it the series where all the members are siblings, but I was immediately sucked in to the dynamics within their family, the villain group, and how they interacted with each other. It made me wish that sentai used a family theme again soon
If you're interested in other family sentai, there's also GoGoV and Magiranger.
Makai_Knight
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Mele, Moune, Sela
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Makai_Knight »

I don't think you were too harsh on Kyuranger. I guess it is pretty hard to like. I like Kyuranger but I can see why someone couldn't like this show. The characters could be better.

Considering the topic of the 2000s Sentais being great, thats not easy to say for me. Honestly, the 2000s were a mixed bag for me. While it has some of my favorite seasons, like Abaranger, Magiranger and Gekiranger, the rest is mediocre at best. I know that Timeranger and Shinkenger are fan favorites, but I never couldn't really get into these seasons. Gaoranger had good characters, but lacked storywise. Same with Dekaranger. Boukenger was the most uninteresting 2000s Sentai for me. It lacked a good story and good characters. Go-Onger started pretty dull, but in the end turned out to be okay. I haven't watched Hurricanger, yet.

The 2010s Sentais started bad with Goseiger, but since Gokaiger there wasn't any season I didn't like. It took a long time before I got into Ninninger, but in the end it was more positive than negative for me.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”