KyuuRanger VS Space Squad released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
No votes
8%

Total votes: 12
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity
Alignment: Neutral

Re: KyuuRanger VS Space Squad released

Post by fartboy »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 am
fartboy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 pm Nice! Now that we have this is there any chance of the other two Space Squad movies being subbed?
You mean the ones they subbed back when they came out?
I wouldn't have said it if it weren't true. Go look yourself: http://tracker.tvnihon.com/index.php?category=58
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

He's talking about Sharivan and Shaider movies. TV-Nihon didn't released those because they didn't liked them. I watched them by others means and they weren't bad.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

Plenty of Mele screen time makes me happy.

Escape was sexy as usual.

Hame being sexier than her normal cute self in that black kunoichi outfit.

Luka Cameo =D

I'm a happy Toku fan.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Mandalori wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm He's talking about Sharivan and Shaider movies. TV-Nihon didn't released those because they didn't liked them. I watched them by others means and they weren't bad.
They're also not space squad movies, more importantly. That's like saying Dekaranger Full Blast Action is.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Mandalori wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm He's talking about Sharivan and Shaider movies. TV-Nihon didn't released those because they didn't liked them. I watched them by others means and they weren't bad.
Do you know where to get them? I tried Overtime, but they don't have 720p versions any more.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Sorry, I don't know much of subbing groups, but you might find them on krdl.moe. Or you can try streaming on KissAsian.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I have to say that overall I'm ever so slightly disappointed in the movie. Really that's my own fault, but it looked so promising in the trailers. And the first Space Squad movie was pretty good, too, so I was hoping they could keep up that energy.

Overall I think Takenoko has hit the high points. It felt more like KyuuRanger Returns than Space Squad 2. Which granted, Space Squad 1 was basically Yet More Dekaranger, but that wasn't a series that had just ended, and it still did a better job balancing the Dekas with the other heroes. This, in contrast, was just too much KyuuRanger, which is kind of a problem since Kyuu itself just wasn't that good of a series. I can't believe I'm saying this, but more Gavan would have been nice. *wince*

Looking at the writer, it's easy to see why it turned out as it did. The writer was Kyuu's main writer, so if you throw them at a team-up movie, of course it's going to feel like KyuuRanger. I would argue that they should stick with the same writer for the Space Squad series, but that's probably not realistic. At any rate, since there wasn't a proper KyuuRanger returns movie, it's easy to see how this got co-opted.

Which isn't to say that it was a bad movie. Lucky was relatively contained (thank god), and we even got the evil version of Silver, which isn't a form I was expecting to see. And the Civil War angle was the right angle to take with so many characters; it just wasn't underpinned by a strong enough central conflict.

Space Sheriff Pervert just felt out of place though. I'm not going to pretend it can't be humorous in small doses, but a whole movie of this was too much.

Meanwhile as far as action goes, that was great as always. Sakamoto has his thing and he does it well. And he's an especially good choice here because he actually knows how to make good use of wire-fu, which in turn works really well with Pink's abilities. Also, we got lots of untransformed fighting. :D

Oh, and who was that hero we saw at the end in the flames? That didn't look like a Sentai member, and I don't know my Metal Heroes all that well.
takenoko wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:49 am
After complaining for a year about the lack of Hame content, it's kind of nice to get some. It's not all great, but some of it is pretty decent and it's a heck of a lot more than we had during the actual show. Having Mele act as a big sister green chameleon character was awesome as well.
This honestly is one of the things that disappointed me a bit. Hame was the least developed/focused face character in the original series, so it's good that they opted to focus on her here. But then she spent most of the movie "evil", in as Mele accurately notes, a "tragic heroine" look. The writers can lampshade it all they want, but far from making Hame a badass it makes her look even weaker. It's definitely an arc, but I'm not sure giving her the lead on the final morph and the final blow on the bad guy really makes up for it.
Lunagel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:05 am MELE MY QUEEN!!!
And this succiently sums up why it's awesome to get Mele back, and why simultaneously a problem for the movie. :lol:

As a character Mele is just straight-up better written than any other character in this movie, and it's not even close. She had a hell of an arc in GekiRanger, and to the writers' credit, they didn't even try to brush that aside. Meanwhile Hirata Yuka plays the part so well that the combination of the two factors means that she just overshadows all of the other returning villains. Escape and Basco are also very good characters, and in any other movie they'd easily steal the spotlight, but they've got nothing on Mele.

Thankfully the writers didn't do the stupid thing and get Mele back only to have her play a bit part. It's a shame that in doing so the other 3 returning villains did get reduced to bit parts, but I'm okay with that given that we got more Mele instead. The chameleon girl team-up thing is exactly as cute as it needed to be, and my only disappointment here is that I wish we got to see Mele kick some villain ass alongside Hame in order to complete the team-up aspect.

And I knew going into this that Mele was going to die (again), but damn, that hurt.

Side Observations
  • I'm all for a movie that involves beating up Spada
  • There's way too much lens flare in this movie
  • How the heck did Escape get in with two giant guns?!
  • The KyuuRangers never used the McGuffin KyuuTama? Wow, there's a first.
  • Become a teacher for life. Oof. That's actually a pretty harsh punishment :o
  • I know it was just a quick gag, but technically speaking isn't Luka in the wrong universe? :P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I have to ask, for people who've seen the movie, how much of a pervert is Space Sheriff Pervert in his own movie?

Having a better written backstory is an odd super power, but clearly it stands out here. Having the lamer Sentai members come back in the future is going to be unfortunate. "Oh you're the guy that goes 'Alright, lucky' and you're the guy that goes 'That's hot! I'm on fire!'"

But even without Mele, there's not much for Escape and Fuwa to do. Even in their own series, they're mostly two dimensional. Basco stands out a little bit, and he could have stood to chew some scenery.

>The KyuuRangers never used the McGuffin KyuuTama? Wow, there's a first.

It's 'cause the McGuffin is too good. They've cured death. What are they supposed to do with that?

>I know it was just a quick gag, but technically speaking isn't Luka in the wrong universe?

So are we saying Gokaiger and every Sentai series before them is in the same universe? Technically, wouldn't Basco, Mele, and Fuwa also be from the wrong universe? Escape is from Go-Busters so anything past Gokaiger could possibly be in universe 2.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 amI have to ask, for people who've seen the movie, how much of a pervert is Space Sheriff Pervert in his own movie?
I've tried to block most of that movie out but, uh... there's a bit where he inexplicably sticks his head up a girl's skirt? If that helps any.
ViRGE wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 amOh, and who was that hero we saw at the end in the flames? That didn't look like a Sentai member, and I don't know my Metal Heroes all that well.
It was Winspector.

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 am >I know it was just a quick gag, but technically speaking isn't Luka in the wrong universe?

So are we saying Gokaiger and every Sentai series before them is in the same universe? Technically, wouldn't Basco, Mele, and Fuwa also be from the wrong universe? Escape is from Go-Busters so anything past Gokaiger could possibly be in universe 2.
While I realize that Sentai is incredibly loosely written to begin with and should not be taken seriously, one of the saving graces of the Deka/Gavan/Kyuu team-up episode of KyuuRanger is that it strongly implied that the KyuuRangers were in their own universe, completely isolated from everyone else. Most everyone else seems to inhabit the same universe with no real effort to keep it coherent, but the Kyuus were specifically placed somewhere else (so that none of the other Reds would have to listen to Lucky's catchphrase, of course).
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:49 am
ViRGE wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:37 amOh, and who was that hero we saw at the end in the flames? That didn't look like a Sentai member, and I don't know my Metal Heroes all that well.
It was Winspector.
Thanks Go-On Macaroni!
Last edited by ViRGE on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 am I have to ask, for people who've seen the movie, how much of a pervert is Space Sheriff Pervert in his own movie?
I don't really remember if he was all that pervery but it did had a shirtless scene of him which this movie lacked so hard. Give the girls what they want.

I imagine the Gokaigers are able to cross universes because they are the keepers of Sentai powers.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

I see that no one is talking about Kotaro looking the same after four years here, even when the wiki has something about this. So I don't know if anyone is going to pay any heed to what I thought about that...

My theory is- in the Kyurangers' universe, a year in earth is probably a lot shorter than 365 days, but I don't know if there's any official information contradicting my theory... but anyway, none of this matter, because NOBODY CARES! :P

More action from Gavan/Sharivan would've been enjoyable, but Sharivan trying to flirt with the girls seemed a bit forced to me, because I found it quite enjoyable in the NEXT GENERATION film.

When Sharivan's "rescue" part came, I was seriously hoping for Rescue Force to pop up. Also, didn't expect this big a post-credits scene, but it did a good job getting my hopes up for the next Space Squad film. If they put more Metal Heroes stuff in it, I'm all for it (even though I have almost no knowledge about Metal Heroes).
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 am I imagine the Gokaigers are able to cross universes because they are the keepers of Sentai powers.
Or probably, there's a Luka in that universe too?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”