KR Build 01 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
12%
☆☆
No votes
6%

Total votes: 49
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KR Build 01 released

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 amTaiga who lives with an underage girl in a platonic relationship.
Yes, "platonic". Which is why she insists he play doctor with her so often. :shock: (Someone at Toei had to realize what they were doing)
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

VerusMaya II wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm<snip>

Um, I didn't upset you or anything, did I? I know take and the rest have jobs and I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to that. The only reason I mentioned the magazine scan was because take asked for official proof and I remembered that scan being passed around prior to the start of the show. You can't really get too more official than that.
On Tsurugi, I just thought it was a neat tidbit worthy of discussion (I even said "Just for discussion's sake, ") why his was in English while the other Kyuranger's transformation brace call was apparently in Japanese. It just got me thinking that maybe they made his thinking of the English phrasing the magazine scan used.

I didn't mean to come off like I was insulting the fansub group and I'm still just a teeny bit confused why you read it that way.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

VerusMaya II wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:16 pmWhich is why in my previous post I only referred to emotional responses and open-to-interpretation dialogue. There is a subtle difference between a character fighting to defend a friend, and a character fighting to defend a lover. I've been lucky that tokusatsu has been very good at toeing that line for almost its whole existence (hoo boy the amount of subtext in previous entries!). But I'm advocating for them to perhaps put one toe over the line after all these years.

What would that require? Let's say Ryuuga gets caught by the Touto gov again. If Sento were just rescuing a friend, he'd be stressed but all things considered relatively calm (no outward show of excessive emotion). If Sento were rescuing a significant other, or otherwise someone he considers a bit more than just friend, he'd be very stressed and prone to bursts of emotion. Perhaps he'd snap at others ("Don't touch him!"), perhaps he'd cry ("I should have done something more..."). There are many possibilities. :D
And this is exactly what I expect of a well written show of character drives and motives. The moment you declare an explicit labeling, is the moment you invite discrimination. Those examples you mention is well and fair and do not even provoke a negative discrimination at all. This is the "possibilities" that I wish for these shows to invoke.

What to call such characters then? A fucking human being that's what, and that is all that it needs.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:28 pm Um, I didn't upset you or anything, did I? I know take and the rest have jobs and I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to that. The only reason I mentioned the magazine scan was because take asked for official proof and I remembered that scan being passed around prior to the start of the show. You can't really get too more official than that.
On Tsurugi, I just thought it was a neat tidbit worthy of discussion (I even said "Just for discussion's sake, ") why his was in English while the other Kyuranger's transformation brace call was apparently in Japanese. It just got me thinking that maybe they made his thinking of the English phrasing the magazine scan used.

I didn't mean to come off like I was insulting the fansub group and I'm still just a teeny bit confused why you read it that way.
No I'm sorry if my post sounded mean!!!!!!! I totally was just putting that info out there cos I know people who do legit get angry about that stuff, y'know? You're fine, ilu mac
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

VerusMaya II wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm I think this is a case of, take and Luna and our other translators work full time jobs and don't wanna come home and obsessively scour every piece of toku-related media recently released. They're working with the knowledge given to them with the show, which is often just any graphics in the episodes themselves and the captions provided (and occasionally a glimpse at the website to clarify things). Is "Say the Change" anywhere in those things I just listed? Probably not - in which case they only become aware of the dual language pun after the fact.
In an unfortunate turn of events, Tsurugi's henshin call made it even more obvious and made us look the fool. Shit happens! That's okay. Even so, I think showing it as "Seiza Change" is the preferred option. Native English speakers can still hear its resemblance to "Say the", and if it takes until Tsurugi's call to slap them in the face to get the joke, then that's alright too! Sometimes those delayed revelations can be fun. But a native English speaker won't get the "Seiza" joke if they only read "Say the" because they don't have the knowledge base of Japanese to work with.

We did know about the "Say the " pun before we released episode 1. I buy TV Magazine and TV-kun every month so I'm aware of what's written in those magazines. This was a case of "hmm yeah there's the pun but they're constellations and most kids are gonna think it's seiza instead of say the anyway". As Verus said, it's a case of different audiences. The Japanese audience can hear the "Seiza" so they need "Say the" spelled out for them, whereas and English audience needs the opposite. Honestly if I could go back and change it, I wouldn't. I still think using Seiza was the right decision for our subs even if Tsurugi's henshin call is a very broken English continuation.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Re: Henshin Lesson

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pmI honestly don't think people should waste their time watching this.
Good thing I'm an adult and have the capability to make my own decisions. :roll:

I liked the episode a lot more than I thought I would since these things are hit-or-miss. This is the first time in a long time where we're dropped into a Rider universe after everything's already underway and there was a lot going on without it being too much of a Kyuranger-overload. There is plenty of potential already, and that's a great sign.

Only worry: If each monster makes a bottle, this dude's going to have a LOT of forms before it's over.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
aa1874
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Ex-Aid

Post by aa1874 »

Perhaps what's should be fixed is the subs

When subs show "Best Match!" it shouldn't be the Build insignia that's shown, but the R/T logo or G/M logo (for GorillaMond) or the like
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

aa1874 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 am Perhaps what's should be fixed is the subs

When subs show "Best Match!" it shouldn't be the Build insignia that's shown, but the R/T logo or G/M logo (for GorillaMond) or the like
You're welcome to your own opinion but I think it looks fine.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

mholden020 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 am
takenoko wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pmI honestly don't think people should waste their time watching this.
Good thing I'm an adult and have the capability to make my own decisions. :roll:
I thought we didn't release the henshin lesson this week? That's what I was referring to, not the episode.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 am
mholden020 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 am

I thought we didn't release the henshin lesson this week?
You didn't.
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

I enjoyed the first episode. Sentou's hair just sticking up reminds me (a bit) of Alfalfa in Little Rascals, but that's where the similarities end imo.

I think all of the subs are awesome. You guys take your time and sub the series for us and try to give us the best translations you can. I greatly appreciate all that you guys have done!
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

I like it. The world seems interesting as far as I can tell.
Build's design looks really good and reminds me a bit of W (and another thing that's like W is that people talk about him like an urban legend and calls him Kamen Rider).
So yeah, I'm excited for what will happen next. ^w^

Another thing I'm excited for is Kamen Rider Climax Fighters coming to PS4. Now I really need to get one as soon as possible (I'm thankful the current generation of consoles are region free).

Oh, and about the sexuality of the protagonist and the deuteragonist so do I also wonder if they're gonna be openly gay. Dragon Ball Super did introduce an official lesbian couple the the current arc (and it's not the two female Saiyans from Universe 6 (though they may be), and it was a respectful representation while not slamming their relation in the faces of the audiences.
So if Dragon Ball can do it, so do I hope Kamen Rider can have a same sex couple too.

I mean, they already had a gay Rider in Gaim, so it shouldn't hurt to have another gay Rider this season (and it would be cool if that was the protagonist).
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Philip Aldraine wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 am I enjoyed the first episode. Sentou's hair just sticking up reminds me (a bit) of Alfalfa in Little Rascals, but that's where the similarities end imo.
Sento actually doesn't have a hidden u in his name this year. It's made of the kanji for Sen (war/fight/battle) and...

/me drum rolls

to (bunny)

Yes. This year's Kamen Rider is...

/me drum rolls

A rabbit that fights.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:33 pm
Philip Aldraine wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 am I enjoyed the first episode. Sentou's hair just sticking up reminds me (a bit) of Alfalfa in Little Rascals, but that's where the similarities end imo.
Sento actually doesn't have a hidden u in his name this year. It's made of the kanji for Sen (war/fight/battle) and...

/me drum rolls

to (bunny)

Yes. This year's Kamen Rider is...

/me drum rolls

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e54e1d28cb9 ... r9_500.gif
A rabbit that fights.
Kamen Rider Bunny. It has a nice ring to it. :lol:
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

For a first episode, I'm hooked. I actually enjoyed it for the most part, save for a few glaring flaws (it's Toei after all).

I really like the world they introduced in Build. A dystopian country (not world, since only Japan seemed to be affected) with 3 capitals at high friction. We've seen Touto's totalitarian ways (what pacifism are they spewing with their military advancement and all) so I'm curious to see what's in Seito and Hokuto. I wonder if they will introduce a Rider for each capital later on.

I'm neutral with Sento for now. I like the whole amnesiac thing they're going for, and that he doesn't really know why he's so smart. I think Sento and Ryuga will make a great pair, and I have a feeling Ryuga's gonna suit up as a Rider eventually.

Oh hey, Kiva's long distance cousin.

Seriously, the Guardians can't even aim or shoot properly when Ryuga's just in front of them and they got guns pointed at him. They're just as bad as Stormtroopers.

Oh wow. A wall that breaks from a sword. Nobody got any idea of nuking that thing down for 10 years?

I have a good feeling about this show so far, let's hope it turns out good.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”