KR Build 01 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
12%
☆☆
No votes
6%

Total votes: 49
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: KR Build 01 released

Post by takenoko »

>>first openly gay main Rider.

>Honestly, does that change anything?

Well, yeah. I mean, it might not change the story in any major way, but representation is important. No wonder Japan's attitudes are so backwards considering most their gay characters are just comedic stereotypes. Also, if they two main guys are gay, I'm hoping Toei will actually be forced to work on character and plot.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

takenoko wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 am . Also, if they two main guys are gay, I'm hoping Toei will actually be forced to work on character and plot.
It is not like they done anything with any X with X in this regard. Changing X with Y like in any other scientific formula which represents entities brings nothing different to plot and trope interaction when it is simply again - a change in perception but really it is a change of color. And it is not like they done anything that intertwined of plot as of late either. Adding more crayons will just confound and clutter the writers in "having" to throw as much more to the buffet.

Besides the obvious hardware preference, relational tropes overlap in spades and Toei made no do with it in any Rider series. It will not change things here and the only reason why homosexual relationships had to resort to extreme initial breakthrough "characterizations" is to make them stand out amongst ordinary relationships to begin with - all for what I like to refer to as a mistake.

Show it for what it really is, that is what I can agree with. Do not do it with the blatant "comedic" representation showings; this is resorting to gimmick amplitudes of noise. And relationships presented as such thus then aren't any different. Shoutaro and Phillip maybe as close as to what one expects, and anymore to really signify gender preference may as well be labeled Adult Only.

It is like a cornered mouse with nothing else to do other than be blatant and aversely disruptive, with no fall back to normalization of expression.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

I like it. The best first ep for me since Gaim. Lots of potentials here.

First ep usually not a good indication, so we'll see.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Renigami wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 amSaid things
Well, besides that, it's important to show other life styles so kids can grow up with a flexible view of what is normal. It's important to teach tolerance and to be receptive to difference in others.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Question on the CM: exactly what does Build want us to watch on Friday nights? Also the vectors for the Rabbit, Tank and Build symbols are off. (I don't think it needs a v2 just for that though, haha)
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

njb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 am Question on the CM: exactly what does Build want us to watch on Friday nights?
Every Friday night's Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan based on TV-Asahi schedule.
njb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 am(I don't think it needs a v2 just for that though, haha)
Well duh. It needs reencoding for the effects.

LarryLantern
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Kiva OOO Faiz
Dreamy: I can't tell yuh
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Favorite Band: romantic trap :)

Post by LarryLantern »

Build got me so hyped since its trailer was released man,,,
I kinda like the bat-like suit antagonist vro, the emblem on his chest resembles so much of that of Batman yuh;;;
I'm a fan of genius protagonists so I'd grew to love this series very quickly,,, oh man n I love the suits n the henshin + power-up system lots man they look just satisfying...
I have so much hope for this series n I'm looking forward to more than 3 Riders in this series n more awesome sick 'best matches' from Build ya;;;
This whole series gonna be a 5/5 man I feel this series,, *thumbs*

I've been a toku fan for a long time now man n thanks TV-N guys, ur subs is always off the chart.
Last edited by LarryLantern on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 amI mean, I didn't hate it, but not all too impressed either.
That about sums up my thoughts. It didn't do anything wrong, but nothing about the premise immediately grabs me. Build's design is W distilled, and flying physics equations just don't look as cool as I'm sure they sounded on paper. Even the OP was just kind of meh.

But on the other hand it's the first episode of the season, and it'll take a bit of time for all the players to be established and to start the true story in earnest. So the first episode doesn't have to hit things out of the park.
Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 amthe advisor dude was more "fucking creeper" than the "funny pervert" they were going for.
I get the impression that's what they were going for. Advisor dude can't be flamboyantly evil, but they wanted to make it obvious to the audience from the start that he's not a fine, upstanding individual. It's such a stark abuse of power that I can't see it being played for laughs.
Gallus Faberge wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 amThe crank on Build's belt is kinda anticlimactic though. It pulls away any excitement for the transformation sequence.
Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to best put it into words. Cranking something just isn't a very dramatic action. If anything, between that and shaking the bottles, it's more liable to come off as pervy. :?
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:39 pmI hope Build's the first openly gay main Rider.
You know he's not going to be. So why get your hopes up? Toei avoids this stuff for a reason.
Renigami wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 amOne positive, Kamen RIDER.... and I am glad to see some motorcycle action, that isn't put off or delayed. And the way the first episode emphasized the bike means they may do more with it... or like Kiva just shove it aside....
I caught that as well. After having Ex-Aid barely use his, we get Build's right out of the gate. However I have the same skepticism over whether we're going to see it on a more regular basis, versus making sure to hit all the major KR theme requirements on the very first episode.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

KR Build reminds me alot of Kamen Rider 1971. And follow with the PR information from Toei: http://www.toei.co.jp/tv/build/story/1210272_2766.html, it is exactly based on the Kamen Rider 1971.
The original Kamen Rider was a hero who was subjected to Shocker’s human experiments. He wakes up with a heart of justice. Smash, which appears in Kamen Rider Build, is also born from human experiments. Though the people who have performed the experiments suffer from memory loss, there may be a connection with Sento. You will be able to see themes from the original Kamen Rider in this series: “Is the existence of Kamen Rider is equal to a monster?”

Ryuga Banjo, portrayed by Eiji Akaso, escaped from prison. He may hold the key to solving Sento’s memory loss. The two men often clash, but will also be occasionally cooperate. A conspiracy surrounds them, and the more you follow the truth, the less you will understand. Like the bond between Kamen Rider 1 and 2 and in many other Heisei Kamen Rider series, Kamen Rider Build will tell the story of two men: Sento and Ryuga.

Source: Daisukitoku
So I felt KR Build is more potential story than KR Ex-Aid, at least in episode 1, the main cast have good acting than the Ex-Aid's cast.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like there was enough of a balance between the exposition/plot dump and actual character interaction. I feel like 1st episodes of both Rider and Sentai have better pacing when the hero already knows how to transform so they don't have to fuck around learning about their powers. It was cool to see the guy that played Nagase from Amazons with a lead role as well.

Two things I could have done without. The hair raising gag seems kind of pointless when he is already nerding out in an obvious way. Also I get that the rider kick wants to reference the physics shit, but it doesn't really fit Build himself and looks kind of lame.

I get a real W vibe from this so far, at least in regards to the heroes. Secret base hidden in an establishment with a partner that has some kind of mysterious power, as well as the suit having a similar design and the half and half theme. Also, I get Ryukendo vibes from the evil guy.

As I said, cautiously optimistic.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

Off to a good start.
NOMarfo
Tarlo Viola
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Amazons 2
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim

Post by Tarlo Viola »

One Monster = One Power? Oh God

Weeell, a showa-esque series and a first episode better than Ex-aid's one... It's good!

Barman I love u
Just an italian guy
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

Hey, our rider wasn't pushed into being a Rider. He began before the series started (kind of) and developed/develops all his own stuff.
That's at least worth one point, right? Haha.

Got to pay rent to stay at the cafe incognito (which will likely never be referenced again); but first day on the job and you already get your other half into being a wanted fugitive, good going.
Bat dude has a cool design, wonder if he'll stay evil throughout the series.
Also, I saw an image on twitter of Ryuuga's fly being down. I thought it was an error, didn't know it was going to be an actual thing. Sigh.

Getting the bottles through absorbing the Smash is something not really done since Blade, right?
Oh, wait, Eiji and Ankh could snatch the cores from Uva, Kazari, etc; and Ex-Aid did it once with Drago Knight.
All I can remember.

It's a solid 3, but I'm giving it a 4 for a few things.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Renigami wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 am Besides the obvious hardware preference, relational tropes overlap in spades and Toei made no do with it in any Rider series. It will not change things here and the only reason why homosexual relationships had to resort to extreme initial breakthrough "characterizations" is to make them stand out amongst ordinary relationships to begin with - all for what I like to refer to as a mistake.

Show it for what it really is, that is what I can agree with. Do not do it with the blatant "comedic" representation showings; this is resorting to gimmick amplitudes of noise. And relationships presented as such thus then aren't any different. Shoutaro and Phillip maybe as close as to what one expects, and anymore to really signify gender preference may as well be labeled Adult Only.
That feels quite reductionist... I can't speak for take, but what I hope for when I say "please make them openly gay," is less an acknowledgment of "hardware preference" as you put it and more an emotional connection. I want to see Ryuuga being used as emotional blackmail against Sento. I want to see Ryuuga go ballistic when someone threatens Sento. I want to see them travel through hell to save one another, and not just reduce it to the "power of friendship"! The moment you show all those things (which KR has come quite close to before, but never quite mastered the impact imo) and reduce it down to platonic friendship is the moment kids question whether their preferences are abnormal.

You don't need a character to stand there and explain he likes his partner because of his genitalia. The idea is to focus on love being love, regardless of gender, sex, race, etc. Hell, you can even make it open to interpretation. When a character says "I love you, man," are they saying it in a platonic way (storge, filia)? Are they confessing feelings of romantic love (eros)? I've seen so many shoujo shows do the exact same thing (moe bait), so why can't a shounen-leaning show do the same?

We should always fight for representation and hope for the best, otherwise society will never change. Giving up because we "know they won't be [gay]" is how we become complicit to this hetero-normative culture.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Just an observation, his hair sticks up like a rabbit ear. On the same side as his rabbit ear in Rider form too.

Maybe he's a rabbit Smash prior to his revert to human after losing his memory. Perhaps his amnesia is the only thing keeping him from turning back into a Smash. The hair thing could be more than a throwaway quirk. Or it could be just that. Either way, I thought it was interesting. Also, I wonder how he manages to get the budget to build a secret base under the restaurant if he can't pay his rents. If the base belongs to the owner, why? Is he ex-secret agent or something? Is that why his daughter has special abilities? All these potentials could grow into big things in the hands of a competent writer. Let's hope Toei has just that in store.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”