Why I am declaring I am not following this Rider's series this time...

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Why I am declaring I am not following this Rider's series this time...

Post by Renigami »

And not stopping abruptly in the middle like Ghost; at least I finished Wizard through it's run... if that means any context.

Looking back at a W henshin and finisher's video compilation:

W has the most simplest yet satisfying means of switching forms and abilities.

Plug and play. It is even better than Decade's card insert thing; the omake Decade episodes even mocked this insertion method itself!

From a toy perspective, it is even better since the sounds is all inclusive to the memories, Bandai can easily make "newer" memories if they so desire, unlike Decade, for some crossover Rider things.

Unlike.... Build.... Shake bottle who knows how many times, insert bottle, crank who knows how many times..... And suffers from the same toy driver problems as Decade in terms of "future" "sounds". Build would at least be more 'build" themed if that winding crank is replaced with a ratcheting motion instead.... Like he is playing some music box lulling the enemies to sleep by wasting time to henshin first....

And W can even achieve what both needed to do in the course of the series, unlike Build who deems needing as many form switches as astro switches....

Off topic, but still on topic of finishers.... Build's Rider Kick looks like he is on a wet banana slow slip and slide.... rather than a fearsome incoming kick like Decade's.... I mean even in the movie Skyrider is flying at fast fear from Decade's card trail lock on!

Build.... yeah, I am not following it. What does he expect? The enemies to decipher and Bing, Yahoo Answers, Google and WIki his floating equations moments upon death?!

You can possibly shoehorn a good story. You can even try to handwave his augmented reality of equations that project YuGhiOh style like those monsters.... But in no way that would even justify Build's entire premise and presentation.

He looks good, I will give the suit designers this. But the belt and toy as a result... I am not buying it - literally and metaphorically. His character portrayal seems more "engineer" rather than "scientist"...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Why I am declaring I am not following this Rider's series this time...

Post by Lunagel »

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax"
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:04 am Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax"
Ah, good ol MST3K...

like riding on that very slide that is called a rider kick. Relax and go weeee?

I will take priority to Precure this time. Maybe background binge the batch of Build once it is done.

Even that graph is telling me that the final moments of that rider kick is "slow" I mean if x is supposedly the time domain and y axis is the height domain, it means he is taking an awful alot of time to go down... over time... onto an enemy.... and that is supposed to be "educational"!

Yeah....
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I have mixed feelings about Build so far. On one hand, it's not terrible like Ghost or Ex-Aid so far. But at the same time, while the plot seems decent enough, I don't really feel like I've latched onto any of the characters so far. So that ruins the mystery setup, since I don't have any protagonists to root for. I honestly don't care what Sento's past is or why he has amnesia because he's not an appealing guy to me.

And the story is kind of in limbo until we better understand the villains and what their motivations are. Until we understand the villains, the threat that they pose just comes off as random malice.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 am I have mixed feelings about Build so far. On one hand, it's not terrible like Ghost or Ex-Aid so far. But at the same time, while the plot seems decent enough, I don't really feel like I've latched onto any of the characters so far. So that ruins the mystery setup, since I don't have any protagonists to root for. I honestly don't care what Sento's past is or why he has amnesia because he's not an appealing guy to me.

And the story is kind of in limbo until we better understand the villains and what their motivations are. Until we understand the villains, the threat that they pose just comes off as random malice.
Yeah, I got that from the first two episodes. There is no real drama other than "forced" ones by flandarizations of past repeated character "designs". The episodic villain did not even drive any tensions what so ever.

Again, like the show expects me to put all of my things down and go "weeeee......eeee?"

At least Kira Kira Precure a la Mode gives somewhat of a better dynamic, even though everyone is fighting for Rainbow Brite's star sprinkles....
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Renigami wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:51 amAt least Kira Kira Precure a la Mode gives somewhat of a better dynamic, even though everyone is fighting for Rainbow Brite's star sprinkles....
I can't speak for Build since I opted not to watch this year but, I'm curious what character dynamic you see in the KiraALM group. To me, they just feel like strangers who don't really chat with each other until the script says for them too. It's empty and soulless.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:35 pm
Renigami wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:51 amAt least Kira Kira Precure a la Mode gives somewhat of a better dynamic, even though everyone is fighting for Rainbow Brite's star sprinkles....
I can't speak for Build since I opted not to watch this year but, I'm curious what character dynamic you see in the KiraALM group. To me, they just feel like strangers who don't really chat with each other until the script says for them too. It's empty and soulless.
Cure Whip is the most bland, but gives off some timed expressiveness. There is interplay between them, although subtle. It needs not be loud and obnoxious like hams entering the room.

Unless it is all along and all the way intentional like Fourze. That had some well out dynamics.

It does not have to be complex, convoluted, or going into very much of "the most interaction as with many people" as possible. Sometimes, simple is the best within the 20 odd some minutes. And within such interactions, the animation expressiveness also give off such interactions. I cannot say the same for the stone faces of live action toku Kamen Rider as of late, unless they want to blatantly force comedy or dire lines for drama. It does not have to be dark and serious, just bits of slices of life, and with magical girl series, throw in a bit of fanatical here and there.

I can say the same thing about the initial episodes of Build. Characterization based on the objects and stage and set around you does not count. Blatant exposition does not count. That is where Build.... Breaks it for me.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Renigami wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 pmCure Whip is the most bland, but gives off some timed expressiveness. There is interplay between them, although subtle. It needs not be loud and obnoxious like hams entering the room.
Loud and obnoxious would be bad too, yes but KiraALM just goes too far the other way to invisible.
Renigami wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 pmIt does not have to be complex, convoluted, or going into very much of "the most interaction as with many people" as possible. Sometimes, simple is the best within the 20 odd some minutes. And within such interactions, the animation expressiveness also give off such interactions. [...] It does not have to be dark and serious, just bits of slices of life, and with magical girl series, throw in a bit of fanatical here and there.
Having your group of Cures interacting with different people doesn't make it "complex or convoluted" as much as it allows your characters to branch out and reveals different shades of themselves. If you just keep them to their group then, they run the risk of being stale and boring.
When I think subtle character dynamics in Pretty Cure, I think of the Fresh gang going bowling and Setsuna having to choose between a black or a red ball, one signifying her past and the other her future. Also, Tsubomi opening up as a character because she met Erika and the fashion club leading to their Light Music performance.
Also Also, maybe not subtle, but there's Nagisa freaking out because she thought a ghost was behind her only for it to be Honoka. Her reaction was hilarious.

My point being that KiraALM hasn't even done that much and it could really improve if it just bothered to try.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Guess I read the market interactions differently. Those interactions aren't as "symbolic" but they do add some realism slice of life at the very least. It shows that the characters of the Kira Kira Patissiere have to worry about resources to satisfy their customers at the very least, even though this does not need to be all the time hammered to the viewer.

Even at the very second episode - when Ichika tries to conjure up cheesecake because she thinks that is what the power of Precures have with their compacts, the fairies then say "the powers do not do that". That right there is something that stuck with me - both the expression and that look of "what?" from Pekorin as that face of "Yay, we have our champion - but not how I think of it...?" deal. All of that is just there in that several seconds.

That is but one example. Sure there are bland ones too. That high school groupie hive mind that follows either Akira or Yukari.... But at that point one has to ask - are you really going to dive another two episodes to flesh out two characters or the sheer fact that the series wants you to know there is a significant following for either one of them - more important?

Of course, all suspension of disbelief goes out the window, out the top of Toei's office building, and straight onto the floor below when you realize that NONE of the in show population ever questions on how KiraPati "gets around" with the same five staff... Though this is sort of lampshaded after the episode where the town now knows of the Precure's existence from the festival save (by the customers awkwardly standing by while the five Cures whisper out in the shop's center room.....

Still better than Build in terms of my priority....

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”