KR Build 13 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
78%
☆☆☆☆
17%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
4%
No votes

Total votes: 23
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 13 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Cool fight in a round room

Last week's results: 4.27 / 5 (15 votes)

Is this the first time we see Sento as Build's origin story? Feel like parts of this episode would have been better in episode 2. Then maybe Ryuuga's girlfriend stuff could have come later to more closely fit the resolution of that storyline.

Not sure about the comedic sense of this writer. Use your pinky on the key pad! Build covers Cross-Z's eyes!

Again, feel like it's weird character reversal when Banjou is comforting Sento about Stark getting away.

Maybe Master's betrayal would feel like something if Master had been in the episodes at all. Also the reveal is bad. We find out by him stealing the bottles and trying to sneak out and getting caught by Sento, who's nonplussed by the whole situation. If Misora had woken up and caught her dad being the villain, she could have screamed or cried, then Master would have to run away in a hurry. Something dramatic!

Maybe this revelation will start allowing the plot pieces to fall in place. Since up to this point, the machinations of Master/Stark have been completely unreadable. We don't know what his goals are or why he does what he does, so as a character, he comes off as more unsatisfying than mysterious.

All the emotional beats of the episode just felt really forced. Like when Misora welcomed back Sento, it felt like they forgot their lines. Maybe some of the series could be fixed by having Ryuuga be in the starring role more. Sento's way too stoic, like he's almost Wizard bad at being a human being. If Ryuuga had discovered that Stark was Master, I think the episode might have played out in a more interesting way.

Edit:
What? Mutou Shougo wrote most of Densha Otoko? That show was legitimately funny. What happened there?

I also can't help but notice he wrote Crows Zero which has the same katakana spelling as Cross-Z. What?! You named your second Rider after a manga you wrote, but gave it a stupid alternate spelling to hide it?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Build 13 released

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pmI also can't help but notice he wrote Crows Zero which has the same katakana spelling as Cross-Z. What?! You named your second Rider after a manga you wrote, but gave it a stupid alternate spelling to hide it?
I don't think the writers pick the names, though? Seems more like Bandai or the Toei suits' jobs given how a lot of the names are on the toy boxes or the displays at Tamashii Nations. (Unless it turns out Sanjo Riku really came up with "Gord Drive" or Tanaka Jin with "Cure Parfailt and Cure Macaroon", haha)
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I guess you can't trust someone who makes subpar barista-style coffee. I'd like to see how Misora can deal with the truth.

I'm hoping Good'Ol Spiderman comes around.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I know takenoko's not a fan of the comedic timing, but I thought it was pretty funny. Sometimes it's nice to break up what usually would be a serious moment with something ridiculous.

And as many of us suspected, Master turns out to be Blood Stark. Which explains a lot but definitely opens up new questions. Do kinda wish he got more screen time before we got to this revelation, would've been nicer to have a stronger relationship with his character before betrayal.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Stark revelation is nice without the foreshadowing being super obvious. I'm hoping he doesn't bite it though. Stark and Master are both top characters separately and definitely make scenes they are in better.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

On an unrelated note, the room in which Sento and Ryuuga fought Stark is the same room where Drive fought Nira/Thief Roidmude. I always enjoy recognizing sets from past series.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Comedic timing in this series is the funniest its been since I started watching KR. It works for me.

On the episode itself, I like it. Stark reveal was fine by me. At least it's over with. Since many of us already suspected it was Master. I like that Sento at least brought up the fact that the cafe is opened without customers and always unattended, as if it's just a base of operation. Which it is. For Build and for Stark. At least he acknowledge it.

To think Misora would be the better choice for finding out Master's bettayal is to assume that Misora doesn't know her father was Stark. Maybe that's why she was awkward when confronting Sento, regarding welcoming him home.
A home built on lies. She may be guilty.

Anyway, I suspected Sento allowed Master to steal all the panels and bottles not only to prove he was Stark but to also see what happens when all perfect matches is inserted in all slots of the panels. Two birds with one stone. Let's see what happens.

Oh, that room where they fight Stark was also the same room that stored the portal tree in Gaim.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

I always suspected Souichi to be Stark since he was always missing, so I was kinda hoping that all the times that he was out for his part-time job was just a red herring to make the viewers assume it is him.

I wanted a surprise reveal like Stark actually being Taro Satou, and Kiryu is actually face-swapped Katsuragi.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

If you look at the CG snake that appears when Blood Stark leaves at the end of the fight, it has exactly the same model as Venosnaker. The tail is even the strange sword drill shape.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5

ALL THIS TIME, THE MASTER WAS A TRAITOR!!!

I know Ex-Aid was finished but here's my question: What's the gimmick of Energy Items in Ex-Aid as a toy/collectible?
envedges
Infinity

Post by envedges »

dannydice64 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 am I know Ex-Aid was finished but here's my question: What's the gimmick of Energy Items in Ex-Aid as a toy/collectible?
The Energy Items are use to promote the new Buttobasoul line, which is a coin-based scanning Gashapon arcade game. Other popular franchises like Yokai Watch and Gundam had done something like that, I figured Bandai wants to expand that more into the Kamen Rider line. I know this because I am one of the small percent of people who collected this line, and I am happy that is still continuing with Build. For my story, it started out as wanting replica Energy Items to display next yo my Ex-Aid Figuarts, which eventually got out of hand to the point that I spend way too money on the line.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Although I don't consider this a 5/5 episode for most of the nitpicks Takenoko lists above, it is nice to finally see the series coming together. I'm still not sure where Build is going in the long-run - what the end-game scenario is for the series - but at least now we have a direction; the show is finally building towards something. The characters thus far have not been all that interesting, so to me this is a show that's going to live or die based on how compelling its next couple of story arcs are, now that it's finished world-building.
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm Sento's way too stoic, like he's almost Wizard bad at being a human being.
Right? I've been having the same thought throughout the series.

It seems like some time in the past decade, Toei's stable of writers have forgotten how to write stoic heroes. Which is a bit ironic, since that's basically all of the Showa heroes in a nutshell. It's entirely possible to do a stoic hero that's still an interesting person with a character arc to develop, though sadly Sento is clearly not going to be that character.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm like he's almost Wizard bad at being a human being.
I may be a bit biased but I didn't think Haruto was that bad. After becoming Wizard he pretty much decided that was all he needed to be/do. And the only reason they gave him that shitty soccer dream is because Japan was rreally into soccer at the time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Revorse wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 pm like he's almost Wizard bad at being a human being.
I may be a bit biased but I didn't think Haruto was that bad. After becoming Wizard he pretty much decided that was all he needed to be/do. And the only reason they gave him that shitty soccer dream is because Japan was rreally into soccer at the time.
You should check him out on Good Morning Call. It's more or less the same character, but so much better in terms of acting/directing.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I haaaate him on that show. Or rather I hate that "cool" guy archetype Japan does for it's romance shows. It made Itazura na Kiss annoying to sit through.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”