KR Build 14 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:31 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
74%
☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆
4%
☆☆
4%
No votes

Total votes: 27
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 14 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Master VS Sento

Last week's results: 4.7 / 5 (20 votes)

That was a good episode, I enjoyed it a lot. I felt caught up in the story and the little things that bugged me didn't ruin the pacing. I can see now that the last episode was all a set up for this episode. And while I can go "I see why you made the last episode the way it was" I don't think that made the last episode a good one in retrospect. Just that some of the emotional stuff from this episode probably should have been in that one.

Here's an example. Like when Master if sauntering away at the beginning and Sento doesn't bother to chase after him. That's an unsatisfying Wizard trope. Why not have Sento beat Master into submission, then have his breakdown early instead of saving it for an episode and a half, which makes you go "Why's Sento bothered by this now?" By having the breakdown, it'll give Master a legitimate reason to escape (Yeah I know that the Full Bottles are fake, but that's still no reason for Sento to let Master escape knowing his true identity)

Couple nitpicks
*Sento still doesn't carry the emotional moments. Didn't find his breakdown believable. To go into more detail, every face he has is the same. Whether he's determined, ?happy, sad, angry, or surprised, he always has this same glum expression.
*Nor was I excited when he overcame his grief or by Sento's rousing speech.
*The timing of Banjou's fly being open didn't land for me. It didn't ruin anything, just wasn't funny. Call me cynical, but it just feels like Toei tries too hard too manufacture quirk instead of letting it manifest naturally.
*Master's bad-guy-explains-everything speech felt tropey.
*At the end when Master flies off like a cartoon character. I don't think that was supposed to be funny, but that looked so ridiculous and cartoonish.
*Still wish Master was a more developed character up to this point and that he and Sento's friendship/mentorship was more of a thing. I'm still having trouble reconciling Master with Stark's personality. I don't really see Master as the kind of guy to arbitrarily kill guards at a whim. It doesn't fit with his arrogant posturing or his jokey Master side. I guess we're supposed to see him as a sociopath, while left wondering does he actually care for Sento and Misora or is he just using them.

Stuff that did work for me:
*I didn't like it in Ex-Aid since it felt forced, but the rain worked here. It was a great setting for this fight between these two particular characters with their shared history. And it just simply looked good and they did a nice job with the sound design during the transformation.
*I like Build's new form. And I love soda. It's a match made in heaven.
*I like that all the side characters got to do a bit of everything. Sawa with her research, Misora got her date, Banjou got to bond with Misora and sorta save Sento.

I just hope they take the story into second gear now that all the cards are on the table.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 14 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

A nice episode. I wouldn't keep Misora in the dark for long though. Chances are, daddy's daughter will learn everything.

Wondering how Steam-Powered Batman's gonna learn he's been compromised by his fellow terrorist.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The story is dramatic and sad which is all well and good, but the only thing that comes to mind is...

A Pepsi Rider!

I mean... Carbonated drink with red, blue and white coloring, how much did Pepsi paid Toei to create a Kamen Rider in its own image? :P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Umm, Toei, you can't just have Master jump away like he's fucking Superman when he's not transformed. Couldn't you have done something with the *steam* gun? Ruined the moment for me...

Good drama and we're seeing just how heartless Master is that he'd just manipulate his daughter and a bunch of other people all to get the Bottles purified. That's cold man.

Next week I assume we get the reveal most of us have guessed already?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 amNext week I assume we get the reveal most of us have guessed already?
RIP Yamada Tarou or whatever that guy's name was
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Front page says episode 13 for some reason.

also, the fact that Sento just casually gets Banjou to try out the best matches to figure out which could be powered up is both hilarious and a heck of a tease that Sento might really be Katsuragi. if it turns out to be true, though, that'll be an interesting character detail to try and reconcile. "surprise! your hero used to, and kind of still does, do live experimentation on humans! I mean, it's FUNNY when he does it now, right? that makes it ok, doesn't it?"

and Master jumping away out of suit at the end adds to the confusion I've had over him since he twisted up that iPad earlier in the season. I wonder if Night Rogue can do that stuff, too, and it's a side effect of using the Transteam system, or if there's something else going on.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Conan_Edogawa wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am Front page says episode 13 for some reason.
Whoops, I copy-pastaed and forgot to change it.
astonwave

Post by astonwave »

I'm so glad that Master being Stark wasn't one giant fucking red herring. Episodes 13-14 were probably the strongest of the series so far, so let's see if Build continues to hold my interest that Ex-Aid failed to. I tried watching Ex-Aid's first three episodes and nothing about it really.. I don't know.. spoke to me as a series? Build's premise was a little weird to me, but it makes up for it with its characters. Ex-Aid did none of that for me.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Great episode. People have been ragging on Build for being predictable, but the tension in this episode was palpable.

I still believe there is more to Stark than meets the eye. I'm glad he wasn't offed, he's definitely the best character in the show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Conan_Edogawa wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 amalso, the fact that Sento just casually gets Banjou to try out the best matches to figure out which could be powered up is both hilarious and a heck of a tease that Sento might really be Katsuragi.
Yeah, I usually knock on the humorous bits of this show, but that scene was legitimately good. Sento even had a little blast shield.
prowlfire
Adventure

Post by prowlfire »

Man, I was so hoping for "You got the right one, baby! Uh huh!" for Sparkling's belt jingle.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Master went to Mars and the first to touched Pandora box. I wouldn't be surprise if he's not even human at this point. What with his face/tablet molding, cartoon flying abilities.

But I agree with everyone, this was a great episode. The drama was right, and the characters were done well.

The comedy was nice, with Sento and Banjou silent communicating, and Banjou being the bottles test subject. Good fun stuff in the mix of drama.

Cool silent rain fight, cool new form. Next up, predictible identity reveal?
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

so Soichi went to Mars and was the first person to touch Pandora's box. did it change him physically since I don't know anyone who can turn an ipad into a backscratcher like he's playing with putty.

the rest of the episode is rather tragic for Sento since the man that helped raised him happens to be an enemy from the start.

Soichi revealing that he used everyone like a damn fiddle is great since I can now love to hate him for a genius idea
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I imagine Mars is going to play a bigger role later on. Either Soichi has seen some shit on Mars and is preparing Earth for something or Soichi was replaced by a Martian and is planning something else.

I just don't see Faust, or the other countries ending up as the primary threat.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”