KR Build 19 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
48%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 25
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 19 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Stalemate war

Last week's results: 4.56 / 5 (18 votes)

Wasn't really feeling it with this episode. We've gone back to the cycle of "We can't kill off any of these characters yet, so we'll have Stark come in and break them up." Stark is basically Kamen Rider Deus Ex Machina, and that doesn't make for good storytelling.

I kind of wish the three stooges were just one character. Having three replaceable lackeys doesn't really anything, but it does make it harder to build the empathetic link between them and their boss. Besides knowing they feel a debt to their boss, they're loyal, and that they're called idiots constantly, they're pretty faceless. If we pared it down to one person that we could grow to care about before his inevitable death, then it might have been more meaningful?

I really dislike the way the show glosses over things. Utsumi's back, let's find out what happened to him! Oh wait, he was just saved by Stark and now works for Hokuto. Before we get any more, he has Gentoku thrown out of the room. Guess that's it for his guest appearance this time, bye!

I think the biggest problem with Stark manipulating the story is that we don't know what his goals or motivations are. I guess we shouldn't want him to be successful since he's ostensibly a bad guy, but there's literally nothing Sento or Ryuuga can do because they're completely dancing in his hands. The gulf in knowledge and agency really kills the drama, since there's nothing the protagonists do except butt heads every few minutes over some bottles. They might as well be in trenches and moving the border line between Hokuto and Touto back and forth by the inches.

Misora is the MVP of the show again this episode. Sad to see her Miitan thing was blown off by Sento's lie. But at least she had a nice moment with Ryuuga and then we see hints of her mysterious power/connection with him. Yes, please, give us more character moments, character relationship building.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 19 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

What a lovely plan, Barista Snake.

Give the Three Crows their deadly upgrades and setting them up to fail if any/all three of them were to die by the Riders' hand. If that happens (which Soichi will manipulate by loaning Sento that forbidden item), Grease Lightning's Nebula Gas-induced agitation and Hazard Level can be further increased, allowing him to overclock his performance with the Sclash Driver.

Grease Lightning, be wise now or you'll be sad and blue.

As for the episode, it's good.

Despite Sento's objections to Ryuuga using the Sclash Driver, Ryuuga is willing to go the extra mile to ease his friend's burden.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, Barista Snake. I get it.

I guess another reason the episode got to me was it was just cycle of Sento going "Don't use the Sclash driver" and Ryuuga going "Nuh uh, I'm gonna". I guess it parallels the crows going against their boss's wish, but it just really cemented the lack of forward momentum in the episode.

Like the one army guy said, it's literally a stalemate.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Soooo this is the second time Barber Kiryuu has shown up in the show, is there something deeper in that? Or just a red herring? Takenoko isn't fond of the way Stark is making everyone dance in his hand but I kinda like it. He's a chaotic evil, just wanting to see the world burn and enjoy himself while he's at it.

Behind the scenes notes for this episode - the outside of the government building where there was chat about Utsumi and then Grease/Three Crows attacked in the first 10 minutes of the show I recognized because I used to live in the area and it's a pretty prominent landmark. Because it's a huge garbage incineration plant lol

And that pod they used for the Three Crows is the same fucking one they used in Ghost for all the Ganma people, way to recycle Toei.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Recycling is awesome. (Well, unless it's the same monster suit 3+ times)

The garbage incineration plant is pretty funny though.

Barber Kiryuu has shown up before?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:00 am Barber Kiryuu has shown up before?
Blink-and-you-miss-it mention in episode 9 when Master is explaining the origins of Sento's name. He took "sen" from tank, and "to" from rabbit and Barber Kiryuu is the name of his usual barbershop.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

/me slaps his jaw
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

out of curiosity, with the single out, did you guys change some of the lyrics for the opening theme song, with the official lyrics out as well on your wiki page?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yes
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't a bad episode. But Takenoko isn't wrong in that it's fairly static all things considered. It's a bunch of bite-size pieces in one episode, with nothing of great significance happening.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:56 pm I think the biggest problem with Stark manipulating the story is that we don't know what his goals or motivations are. I guess we shouldn't want him to be successful since he's ostensibly a bad guy, but there's literally nothing Sento or Ryuuga can do because they're completely dancing in his hands. The gulf in knowledge and agency really kills the drama, since there's nothing the protagonists do except butt heads every few minutes over some bottles. They might as well be in trenches and moving the border line between Hokuto and Touto back and forth by the inches.
Right now I'm assuming they're pulling a Gaim on us, and that Stark's purpose is to push the characters along and force them to evolve. Or in this case, increase their hazard levels. But by the same token the way this show is written means that all of these upgrades are just sitting around; the forbidden item, the plans for the Sclash driver, etc. So we're in the process of the show doling out power-ups - with ample navel gazing time and making the villains more powerful to require the heroes to power up in between.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You're probably right about Stark acting as a catalyst. And that's fine if he wants to DJ Sagara it up, but Sagara works better because he kept to the background and did the wire pulling from there.What I'm saying is, Stark, cut the apron strings and let your children be their own people. Let them make mistakes and get themselves out of the problems they get themselves in. No one likes a helicopter parent.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Aye. You'll get no disagreement there.

Build is still a series that only weakly holds my interest. It's not bad, but it's also not great. Ex-Aid was polarizing, but it had some really strong characters. Build hasn't been so lucky, and Stark Ex Machina is part of the problem.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Barista ... Snake ... Best Match!!
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Wasn't as good as the previous episode, but it was still decent.

I don't know what Stark is up to, but it's clear he's setting everyone up to push their power levels higher. I'm thinking unlike Sagara, Stark actually chose a side. He's secretly on team Build all this time. Maybe the only way to force Build's powerup is through emotional response, rage, anger, hazard levels. Whatever means. To get Build to become the ultimate warrior to be the one to open Pandora and face an oncoming Alien invasion. Who knows.

Maybe he's not a deus ex machina, but rather, the true hero of the story disguising as chaotic evil in order to save the future. Definitely will need more explanation soon. Gaim did it in 20 with Helheim and Yggdrasil true nature.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I am wondering now if Naruto was the inspiration for Build. You have Misora the medical ninja, and Sento the naive youngster with a dangerous demon inside who can make multiple copies of himself. Now if Blood Stark was shown hanging out in the shadows passing time by reading smutty manga we could call shenanigans.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”