KR Build 20 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am

☆☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 20 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - War, what is it good for?

Last week's results: 4.21 / 5 (19 votes)

First half dragged a bit, but the latter was pretty exciting. First, it's nice to see the girls contributing to the plot with subterfuge and healing. Bad guy's in power? Just oust him through political machinations. Awesome.

And while Night Rogue hasn't powered up, the fight choreography felt a step above the usual stuff this week. It was refreshing to go from this war-not-war stuff to just Night Rogue trying to steal the Pandora Box out from Build.

Also, how freaking slow is the Touto army? First the Three Crows get ahead of him (how???) and then Build catches up moments later. Some head start you got there! Maybe Ryuuga should have hoofed it on foot.

Speaking of the "war", let's hope Taizan sabotaging Gentoku's plan is worth it, otherwise he'll given up a viable tactic to protect his country. Also, how disingenuous is the show being when they say "let's let our champions fight it out"? This proxy war is what the show's been for the last 5 episodes! Ever since Otoya announced that Hokuto would stop attacking the civilians it's been just Otoya's team versus Team Build.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Build 20 released

Post by Lunagel »

More Deus Ex Barista.

I like every episode individually so far but there's definitely a problem of the plot going along veryyyyy slowwwwwllyyyy when taken as a whole. I'll watch it, think "oh that was fun" but then be unable to tell you exactly what happened in the episode.

At least they came up with something useful for Misora to do now that the Bottle purification is over unlike SOME series I could mention *coughkanoncough*
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

To be fair, I'll take this over actively making me mad with sheer incompetence. It's not blowing me away, but it's not actively being bad either.

Also, hello nurse!

I hope black Build is as good as his design makes him feel. I think black is an overused color in modern hero designs, but it's very striking here. It's kind of sad, but out of Build's different forms, the only real good ones to me are the Rabbit Tank variations, since they seem the best design, and the colors contrast best. The only other Build form that's even a close second is maybe Hawk Gatling, because of flying more than anything else.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I'm gonna make some comments here regarding the translation of "yabee" here as I know some people will disagree with it.

やベー (yabee/yabe) is a very slangy word currently. It's used commonly by the under-40 crowd, especially teenagers. While the dictionary definition is "dangerous" or "risky", it's commonly used in situations to express surprise/shock/interest.

A couple random examples in twitter usage -

最近澪仁くんにいいねされるの増えてきた やべやべやべやべやべーよ "Recently Reini-kun's been liking stuff I post more yabe yabe yabe"
やべっ!!!ツイートするの忘れてた! "Yabe! I forgot to tweet!"
優吾と照は双子コーデ感やべえ "Yuugo and Hikaru have yabe twin coordination."
これはやべぇwww "This is yabe lol"
やべーけっこうイキってる "He's yabe stylish."
与田めっちゃ可愛いぃぃぃぃぃぃ やべぇやべぇやべぇやべぇ "Yoda is so cuteeeeeeeeeeee yabe yabe yabe yabe"
ハルさん拾ってくれてありがとさまです やべっ間違えた "Ruru-san, thanks for picking it up. Yabe mistake."
やべっ、夜中なのに わめいちゃった "Yabe, it's the middle of the night and I screamed."

Now honestly, I think the best translation for yabe is "holy shit" most of the time (depending on context) as it's got the right nuance of both shock and slangyness. However, as much as I might want to use it for Build, didn't think many people would be appreciative of that particular phrasing.

Now the "yabee" is directly playing off the previous jingle for the driver, namely the "YEAHHH" after the rest of the "Steel Moonsault! Rabbit Tank" etc stuff. Yeahhh sounds similar to Yabee so I wanted to try and get something that would do the same thing in English. I searched around (didn't' think anyone would go for gee golly) and hit on the simple "whoa". When lengthened to "WHOAAA" it plays off the lengthened YEAHHH sound, but still has the appropriate connotations of surprise/interest. It's definitely not as slangy as yabee is in Japanese, but I think it fits better than anything else.

---

tl;dr - it's not a perfect translation (what is?) but it fits the context and connotation of the situation as well as matching up with previous jingles.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think Danger or Risky would have worked better. Whoa is too goofy, and I don't think the slang aspect of Yabe is important when coming from a belt. Yeaaah, works and is goofy for the regular transformations because that's normal and it gets away with that. Since this is the forbidden item, conveying the dangerous aspect of the belt is more important, hence Danger or Risky. Whoa just sounds a bit too Keanu Reeves surfer guy to me.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Build's plot has been moving quite fast in the first half, but now it's barely moving. They're still playing in the sandbox of the synopsis. Mysterious box, a country divided, yep, not much has changed.

This episode perfectly summarizes that. Everything that has happened mostly affected the characters, but not the actual story. I think that's the problem. I'm gonna use the obvious Gaim as a reference. In Gaim by ep 20, the plot progress passed the point of no return, challenging its own story. Whereas here, we're still trying to solve the same problem since episode 1. And we're still moving around in a circle. Lacking story progression is what this is.

All that said, I still very much enjoy Build. I just hope we get some heavy twist soon, something that can push the story beyond the walls, the war, and the box. It's all so confined.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'll admit, this War arc has been kind of slow. The Prime Minister coming back twice as a plot device is kind of shit.

Hazard Build is looking sweet though. I'm loving the choice to make the whole thing Black apart from the eyes.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Will we get some form of explanation for why Misora has those healing powers at some point?

The episode is fine for the most part. Though slow seems to be Build's favorite thing to do. So much so I could barely give my thoughts on these episodes as frequently as I'd like to. Am I to believe there's going to be some sort of pacing issue here?

And I'm liking the looks of Build RabbitTank Hazard.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The pacing is pretty much the status quo. The first arc is usually pretty fast paced to push toys before Christmas and then it's a bit of a slog in the 2nd quarter before final upgrade.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

wait shouldn't it been "Yabei" to translate it to danger or bad. But perhaps to sound the same, you have it translated as "No Way" or just keep that part as it is?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

stardrago wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 am wait shouldn't it been "Yabei" to translate it to danger or bad. But perhaps to sound the same, you have it translated as "No Way" or just keep that part as it is?
See my post above
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I wonder if they should make Sawa a Kamen Rider? Even though she does have good melee skills for a civilian, her best match would be forms that enhance her speed, give her invisibility, and help her escape. She could be Kamen Rider Spy, someone who hates fighting (since she would lose her humanity in the process) but is an expert at stealing bottles and penetrating secret compounds to copy secret formulas undetected. She would only have to henshin when needed so it could appear only once in five or six episodes.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

I hate this form looks. So... lazy.
NOMarfo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After a month, Sento finally gets to win a fight! The Sparkling form was so quickly outmoded by the Sclash drivers that this is really only the second time since it's introduction that Sento actually gets to use it and win.

Meanwhile, who the heck is leaking all this info? The only people we saw Gentoku tell about the box was Team Build. And any scenario where they're the source of the leaks would be stupid.
Lunagel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 am More Deus Ex Barista.
At this point I'm getting a bit frustrated that Sento keeps letting Barista Snake walk away each time. At this point he's more powerful than our fallen spaceman, so there's little plot justification for letting him come and go like that.
Catastrophe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm The pacing is pretty much the status quo. The first arc is usually pretty fast paced to push toys before Christmas and then it's a bit of a slog in the 2nd quarter before final upgrade.
Eh. I'd agree that the 2nd quarter can sometimes be slow. But Build is taking the cake right now. Even Ghost, as stupid as it was overall, at least moved faster. At this point we've spent the past month watching Team Build get its ass kicked again and again, while Ryuoga unsuccessfully deals with his rage issues. Right now neither the characters not the plot feel like they're moving forward very much, and while these episodes technically aren't filler, there's enough filler in them that it gives the same feeling to the whole arc.

Things need to move faster. We don't necessarily need soap opera twists. But advance the plot or advance the characters. Because right now a standard MOTW episode is starting to look pretty tantalizing...
Catastrophe wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am I'll admit, this War arc has been kind of slow. The Prime Minister coming back twice as a plot device is kind of shit.
In retrospect the writers kind of blew it by having him come back the first time. There really wasn't much point in bringing him back when he was just going to be thrown out again.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”