Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Build?

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:46 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ Built
47%
☆☆☆☆ Build Up
26%
☆☆☆ Dragon Ball-Z
16%
☆☆ Second rate cafe
5%
☆ Opened Pandora's Box
5%

Total votes: 19
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Build?

Post by kangchan »

Catastrophe wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 am Can we keep this rating shit out of the opinion thread? There has been a constant decrease of ratings over the years and its never indicative of the quality.
I posted for anyone who care and want to know how the rating along side with the film and the Japanese's audience taste.

Oh yes, KR Ghost 5% and 1 year later Ex-Aid 3.9% and 1 year later Build 3.1%. So all audience move to Online just 2 years? How about Lupin Pat? Why Kyuranger so worst and Lupin Pat increase rating?

Please don't use your opinion to bash someone's opinion. If you don't care, just don't reply my post. Okay?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think the ratings are interesting. Stats are always dependent on context anyway.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So as of July 31st, Build is averaging 4.13 out of 5 with 16 votes. We have about a month or two till the series end, how are you liking the series so far?

For me, the series has been a mixed bag. There's a lot of good stuff there, but there's also a lot of chaff that dilutes that good stuff. I don't know if it's a money thing or just the way shows are made nowadays, but there feels like some logistic stuff that's happening in the background that drags down the overall performance of the show, at least to me.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The fact that the first 16 episodes were really good and then it dove to being between average to good on an episode by episode basis really drives me mental.

Like, both war arcs have some good episodes. Hazards debut and the fallout was fantastic. Build vs Rogue in the representative battle was really good as well. The problem is that the rest of the episodes are everyone jobbing to the new rider until they get a power up. Evolts arc is pretty good, but a little rushed. Everything from Genius debut to Shinobus death is probably the worst part of the series to be honest.

A lot of the time I just feel like there isn't enough for all the characters to do. We have stretches of episodes were a couple of the riders won't fight because they don't trust someone, which could be fixed if they still had Smash to kill.

As a whole, it disappoints me, but in a different way that Ex-Aid did. Build could have been an all time great series, but is brought down by a few things that plague it for the whole series. The characterisation flip flops frequently, such as Utsumis 'Mad' character and Gentoku has this period where he dresses strange and acts like an idiot. The science stuff was done well in the first arc for explaining the rider system, and then they just don't bother any more after that. Also, they kind of change around who actually made what. First its Takumi who made the Rider System and the Transteam system, and then it turned out his dad did everything. Stuff like that annoys me. They also fuck up with the insert songs that are really cool and they don't use.

In saying that, the highs are high. For the most part, all the characters are really good. Sento and Banjous broship is one of the highlights. Kazumin, despite not really contributing to the plot after the first war arc is fun as fuck. Evolt is a great antagonist. Gentoku has a nice character arc. The Rider suit designs are all amazing (except for maybe Cross-Z Charge). Whoever came up with the concept for Black Hazards design needs a raise. Doing a dark story for almost the entirety of the show was a ballsy move and I'll always appreciate it as well.

I think that after it has finished, I'll look back at Build fondly the same way I do with Kabuto. Definitely deeply flawed, but enough there to enjoy it in the end.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

To use a cooking metaphor, it's like the the ingredients are fresh and high-class, but for some reason the cook was forced to rush his menu. So you get some really good dishes, while some of them are rushed and literally filler. It seems like some of the nitpicks could be cleaned out with some more time or some editing or thought, but that time just wasn't given.

It doesn't help that it seems like they're trying to move away from the monster of the week format, but didn't put any thought into what to replace it with. It just results in a lot of battles that feel pointless or repetitive or that don't go anywhere storywise.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

I really appreciate Build for trying to be different than previous KR series of late (in that Build is really reminiscent of W's and OOO's time). The overall darker overtone, more mature issues (personal & political). Being set in an alternate world so there's no limitation to the kind of past they could set for the narrative (Skywall). Characters that actually grow on you and make you feel invested.

Like Take said, Build is filled with great ingredients to make it a great show, but for whatever reasons the outcome just felt lacklustre. I am deeply disappointed with the past 10 episodes or so - the fights doesn't go anywhere, the revelation's all over the place, massive info dump to tie up loose ends, Sento's resolve as a hero fluctuate up and down, Gentoku's weird and awkward character meltdown. I don't know if there's a change of writer in between or lack of proper planning. I don't believe time constraint is an issue - simply because Build seems to have more episode count than Ex-Aid so with proper story writing I'm sure they can fit everything and tie up nicely. Case in point - Gaim have so many story thread but by the end of the series majority of them got tied up.

I will still withhold my vote until the last episode airs - I really want to remember Build going down as an awesome ending to the Heisei period of Riders.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... Chronology

It's weird, because it's one writer for the whole series. So I don't really know how to explain the inconsistencies, other than maybe meddling from the higher ups?

I mean, Muto Shogo isn't a bad writer. He did Densha Otoko and has been working for at least 13 years as a writer. My theory is that he's just not used to writing a year long show and didn't know how to handle the pacing?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The only way I'd see if it was meddling would be to tone down how dark it was, which didn't happen. It's probably a pacing thing.

Some writers can do it well (Sanjou comes to mind), and others can't.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I don't have a lot of original insight to add here, but in general I'm in agreement with the 3 of you.

The series has never been bad. In fact I'm not sure I'd rat it as low as mediocre. I like how it's able to be serious while (generally) avoiding grimdark. The fate of the world is hanging in the balance here, and the material feels like it's being addressed with the appropriate level of gravitas. This is war, and war is hell.

Overall then it feels like someone is making an honest and extensive effort here. It's not like Ghost where there are clearly problems behind the scenes that are translating into issues in front of the camera, and where scripts were being turned in just to turn them in and get it done. There is a serious effort here to tell an interesting story.

The problem is that for various reasons it's just not working very well, and the show stumbles over itself. The pacing is awkward, and characterization hasn't been as consistent as it should be. And as Takenoko has noted, they've attempted to replace the classic MOTW fight, but haven't really succeeded. The heroes have fought Evolt a dozen times now, and it has become boring. Also, the show has a very bad habit of putting a cliffhanger in the middle of a fight; stories that span 20 minutes are being told in halves over two weeks, rather than having each episode be a whole story.

Plus the overarcing plot just increasingly doesn't make sense. I like to consider myself an intelligent person - so I hope the problem isn't me - but I've been struggling to keep up with why the latest MacGuffin came into play with the start of the Lost Bottles arc, and why it shouldn't be considered a total hindquarters-pull.

This show seems destined to neither go out on the top or the bottom. There's plenty of potential here and it delivers on it at times, but the package as a whole just isn't working like it should. It seems like the series' ambition isn't matched by its execution. Though I will still gladly take a series that has ambition over an unambitious series any day of the week.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Final episode aired yesterday.

Currently 4.125 out of 5 stars with 16 votes.

Let's see how that changes once the finale is released.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

My anticipation is building!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

3/5

I liked that this series was fairly serious and wasn't bogged down by unimportant comedy plots that really didn't have anything to do with the main story. However it just never got in gear; the lack of unique villains to fight really dragged the series down, both in terms of drama and in being able to stage interesting fights.

The flip side of that is that the show had a pretty core cast; there weren't very many guests, so the regulars really did carry the show, with both the positives and negatives that come with that. It means we got to spend a lot of time with this ensemble cast. However not everyone was used correctly/to the fullest of their abilities. We probably had too much of Sento, despite his being the title character. He just didn't have much going on. Meanwhile Misora's actress was badly underused; that girl killed it with the material she had - and is arguably the best actor on the show - and should have had a lot more. (As an aside, is it me or did both the video idol and Bernage threads never lead to anything?) Finally, we got just the right amount of Banjou; he had a good arc, and the actor executed it well.

Past that, my comments from last month stand.
ViRGE wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:28 am I don't have a lot of original insight to add here, but in general I'm in agreement with the 3 of you.

The series has never been bad. In fact I'm not sure I'd rat it as low as mediocre. I like how it's able to be serious while (generally) avoiding grimdark. The fate of the world is hanging in the balance here, and the material feels like it's being addressed with the appropriate level of gravitas. This is war, and war is hell.

Overall then it feels like someone is making an honest and extensive effort here. It's not like Ghost where there are clearly problems behind the scenes that are translating into issues in front of the camera, and where scripts were being turned in just to turn them in and get it done. There is a serious effort here to tell an interesting story.

The problem is that for various reasons it's just not working very well, and the show stumbles over itself. The pacing is awkward, and characterization hasn't been as consistent as it should be. And as Takenoko has noted, they've attempted to replace the classic MOTW fight, but haven't really succeeded. The heroes have fought Evolt a dozen times now, and it has become boring. Also, the show has a very bad habit of putting a cliffhanger in the middle of a fight; stories that span 20 minutes are being told in halves over two weeks, rather than having each episode be a whole story.

Plus the overarcing plot just increasingly doesn't make sense. I like to consider myself an intelligent person - so I hope the problem isn't me - but I've been struggling to keep up with why the latest MacGuffin came into play with the start of the Lost Bottles arc, and why it shouldn't be considered a total hindquarters-pull.

This show seems destined to neither go out on the top or the bottom. There's plenty of potential here and it delivers on it at times, but the package as a whole just isn't working like it should. It seems like the series' ambition isn't matched by its execution. Though I will still gladly take a series that has ambition over an unambitious series any day of the week.
It's not a bad series. This isn't Ghost 2.0. But it's also far from KR's highs. KR Build was just sort of there.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if Misora was underused. Dramatically and emotionally anything important went through her. If nothing else, I hope this is a launching platform for Misora's actress' acting career.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I think Build is fine but it's not in my top 5 rider series.

The plot twists at least don't drag on like it did with Ex-Aid. Among all the riders Evolt, Ryuga, and Grease entertain me though Evolt despite his overall goal, was a fun character to watch. Acting tends to be good.

Some parts of the plot don't mesh well. Utsumi being Mad Rogue I don't think was needed including that he's a cyborg plot twist, comedy can be hit or miss for me, pacing is inconsistent which is the 2nd, 3rd? time in kamen rider to happen. Bernage, while I get that her actress got sick I can't excuse especially since she's just there like a plot device. With the exception of the new world, they didn't pull their punches at least, but that doesn't mean that having a high number of characters dying is enough to keep me interested then again some of the deaths are from characters I didn't really care about. Sento sometimes make me want to punch him in the face for, and I'l get hate for this from someone, feeling a little hypocritical or during the my dad was seemingly a traitor I thought he wouldn't be acting mopey to the point where I'd take his build driver and be Build myself

Build is 3/5 stars. Could be better but could be worse

here's hoping the Zi-O is at least decent. Given who is writing and who is the producer of it, I'm keeping my expectations low
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Fuck it. I liked it.

I can see why some people loved Ex-Aid despite the heavy flaws. Maybe I'm disappointed by Builds shitter aspects because I was heavily invested, but the highs were high and definitely offset the lows.

Also, the first 10 episodes weren't completely rushed toy shilling bullshit for once, so my theory that Q1 rider being shit for the rest of time is incorrect.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”