KR Build 29 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆☆
35%
☆☆☆
18%
☆☆
12%
6%

Total votes: 17
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 29 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Fake News

Last week's results: 4.25 / 5 (12 votes)

Awful. 1 out of 5. The camera work and action was pretty neat to watch, but it's hard to get excited about it when the writing is so bad.

1) Ode to Joy
Seeing Ode to Joy play at some of the most dramatic moments is one of my favorite things about movies/anime. But it's hard to get excited about a new outbreak of war when it's the third time it's happened in the series. Instead of feeling big and significant, it felt like a montage to hide the fact that people are tired of this shit. Speaking of which...

2) Stop drawing from the same well till it's bone dry
Muto Shogo, you're not a new writer. What's the deal? Is this some producer/director meddling? Is it because you're used to writing 10-11 episode long dramas, so writing for a full year is causing you to be repetitive?

Either way, the pacing is terrible. The war stuff just repeats. The stuff with the three idiots just repeats. I don't know if it's happened before, but it seems like Banjou trying to stop Sawatari has happened before.

Stuff happens in this episode, but it's bogged down and buried in a bunch of filler.

3) Character moments?
Characters talk to each other, but in this series it's mostly a function of moving the plot along to the next plot beat. Moments of sincere character interaction are rare and often don't feel genuine.

Like Miitan trying to stop Sawatari was one good one. Banjou trying to stop Sawatari should have been one, but instead, the actors sound bored. Like how much time are these guys going to spend moping. Quit it, it's not fun to watch.

Sawatari learning the spirit of friendship and helping Sento beat one of the nameless cog brothers (wait, didn't one of them say a name?) but who cares. The cog brothers have no personality and it's not exciting to see them get defeated.

4) The fights have no meaning
It'd be nice if it felt like the fights mattered. But they don't. Master will taunt you like Loki and beat you to the ground, then leave, because it's time to give the heroes time to reflect and talk amongst themselves before the next battle. Why should the audience care about the battle if the main antagonist doesn't?

Banjou and Sawatari are out on the border, should they be worried about attacks from the Seito army for being so close to the wall? Nope, it's just Stark showing up to harass them. He didn't even bring a full army, just the two useless cog guys.

Also, they set up Sawatari and Banjou to be useless. They fight until they're rescued by Sento. That's their only purpose in life.

Even if the fight choreography and camerawork was good, all these things combined really take the fun out of the fighting. The character relationships and story are key pillars to building a good fight scene. Without it, the fighting feels really hollow.

4b) Fake News
Thought of some more stuff, so this'll be my catchall. "It's fake new's fault" is groanworthy. Why does Sento take a dolk (were they always called dolks) and then it goes to CM break? Weird editing. What book is Nanba reading? The guy exploding away from Miitan was hilariously silly.

5) Positive stuff
Anyway, that's enough negativity. The new opening is interesting. Sawatari joins the crew. Stark has a cool transformation scene. Katsuragi is in the opening, almost as a reminder that he's there, since he's all but dropped out of the story.

The Seito guy sounding like Nanba was pretty good.

I dunno, the actual episode wasn't bad to watch. But thinking about it really irritates me.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 29 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Glad you're back, Sora Amamiya!

So we got a new objective: Do not erect the Tower, for the Tower will doom all... I'd rather watch that Gintama episode where the gang attempts to stop Kyuubei from erecting her tower.

Hey, cog jarhead, you knew what you got yourself into when you grabbed the very person who had the power to turn you, your brother and your CO (Rogue) into a blasting-off-again Team Rocket.

I'm not vested into this episode. Eh at best.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I actually really enjoyed this episode. The first part with almost no dialogue was pretty powerful and I like how the design of the tower resembles Bruegel's Tower of Babel. And it makes sense that they go back and talk about shit cause honestly at this point there's not much they can do. The enemy is one step ahead of them (hence the book Nanba reads about the legendary Go player Honinbu Shusaku).

Plus if Stark's really been after opening Pandora's Box all this time that makes sense as to why he's been letting Sento and the others go - they're pawns to help him collect the Bottles while not really having to do much himself.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I didn't really get what the deal was between Sento and Kazumin. Sento says there is another way to go about fighting but doesn't actually explain what it is, he just turns up and fights them. That big where he borrows money from the prime minister is strange as well, why the hell did that happen?

Liked the new bits in the opening though. And the intro to the episode was pretty cool.
Rashef
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W, Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Monkey Island

Post by Rashef »

And all of this just for a Wii game. I know it's great but... Come on. XD
My Copyright Infringing folder with random assortment of ripped Kamen Rider SFX is found right... HERE.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

What is Old Man Nanbas goal?

Like, I get Gentoku and the other two countries prime ministers getting manipulated by Stark. They were exposed to the Pandoras Box light and thats been shown to aggressively alter their personalities. Any normal person wouldn't bother getting involved with Stark after noticing he betrays everyone and he clearly has his own motives. Surely Nanba isn't stupid enough to fall for whatever Stark told him about the Box, considering all it's done so far is make a massive tower that is probably going to destroy everything.

I was hoping that Gentoku would show up instead of Sento to help Grease and Charge. I liked old Gentoku more than punished Gentoku and hope he comes back around.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

so Namba declares war by the power of fake news. The beginning part with ode de joy was a good choice to do. Though the rest of this episode feels tiring.

Character interactions are alright they do the job but it feels like they don't care about what they are saying. Sento what is your plan?! You keep talking about how you want to change the way you should fight Seito but what is it because talk is not going to get you anyway nor is hiding like a coward.

Where did Kazumi get the smash trio's full bottles from? I don't remember the three giving him anything other than their dog tags. The fight between Stark, the rider trio, and the gears is great. Hey white gear guy, you should know who you were holding hostage. Especially since she threw you, your brother, and CO out by using the force and opening the wall up one time

They finally updated the intro to include Sawa, Kazumi, and Soichi but why the hell are you still using Touto Gentoku?
Last edited by Kurokage X on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Breezuz
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: "Saisho ni itte oku ore wa kanari tsuyoi!" - Zeronos

Post by Breezuz »

I would just like to point out that in the new opening if you manage to spot it, you can see Kazumi looking/holding up a violin. Pretty cool reference to Kiva in my opinion.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I thought that was a cello
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Kurokage X wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 pm I thought that was a cello
Correct. That's a cello.:)
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I was afraid that I might sound overly critical but no Takenoko started out even harsher than I was going to be so I'm in the clear. I actually think that the actors were trying very hard to sell the material but the material is just so bad that it's almost impossible. It's slow it's boring it's a repetition of things we're going over again and again. This show has some kind of big idea behind it but the actual execution is one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really getting frustrated and if they don't turn things around within the next couple episodes I think it may just save myself the frustration and peace out.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't a great episode. But I'm also not quite as dour on it as Takenoko.

I for one really liked the style of the cold opening. It's very different from the norm for KR, and it's nice to do something different every now and then. Plus it's sure one way to kick off a new arc by immediately creating a new status quo.:o

But it also loses points for being confusing. At first I was trying to figure out how the heck Barista Snake got all 40 bottles. Only after the OP do they explain that he can do this with only some of the bottles...

Nanba is clearly stark raving mad for wanting to open Pandora's Box, but then almost all of the leaders in this series have been off their rocker due to the effects of the original tragedy. Plus he's getting advice from the actual snake, whom even if he doesn't trust completely, definitely trusts too much. (Side note: Stark suddenly being more powerful than the Riders again because of the power of the box is a bit of a hindquarters-pull...)

As for the character moments, yeah, they're just there. I won't say they're unearned, but they also aren't especially earned? At the very least, I feel like we're retreading old territory here. Grease has been fighting with the Build crew for the last several episodes, and yet only now does he officially join the team?

But like Takenoko, I'm growing incredibly weary of more war. I mean we knew that this would be a "rider war" style series almost from the start, but I didn't think it would be so literal. As it stands it's dominating everything and it's just not very interesting.

I feel like the writer for this series is aiming to say something deep and meaningful about the futility of war; perhaps as a statement on the debate within Japan for a more proactive and capable military? And if that's the case, maybe they'll pull it off in the end. But right now it's definitely not working. The audience is bored and the same handful of points are getting brought up again and again.

Credit is due however for Nanba's plan to make the war against Totou justifiable. The fact that we only now find out that the proxy fight wasn't seen live is a bit of a pull, but I do like that he's using misinformation to make it look like Totou is in the wrong. And Sento's response to that - that they have to fight differently - may yet pay dividends.

Though where the heck did Nanba get Guardians that can go toe-to-toe with Sclash riders? Also, it's painfully obvious that they only have two Hard Guardian outfits...

I'm also growing increasingly fond of Papa PM, especially now that he shows up for more than 5 seconds every few episodes. The intended demographic for the show means that by and large, most old guys in the show are villains like Nanba. So it's a breath of fresh air to have this leader who is trying to do right while being faced with so many seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

PS After last week, where has Sawa gone now?
Lunagel wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 amPlus if Stark's really been after opening Pandora's Box all this time that makes sense as to why he's been letting Sento and the others go - they're pawns to help him collect the Bottles while not really having to do much himself.
At this point I don't think that's his goal. He had access to 40 bottles when he gave them to Sento ahead of the first proxy fight. My suspicion is that this is another strategy to further push the growth of Sento and Ryuga (particularly their hazard levels).
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

He's very focused on their growth for some reason. He either plans to use the data for himself, or in a mega twist he's preparing them for fighting some big evil that will appear.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:42 am He's very focused on their growth for some reason. He either plans to use the data for himself, or in a mega twist he's preparing them for fighting some big evil that will appear.
I'd bet on the latter.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>(Side note: Stark suddenly being more powerful than the Riders again because of the power of the box is a bit of a hindquarters-pull...)

Isn't that just because he's got Mars juice from visiting it? Did we just send one guy to Mars and he came back insane or replaced?

>But like Takenoko, I'm growing incredibly weary of more war. I mean we knew that this would be a "rider war" style series almost from the start, but I didn't think it would be so literal. As it stands it's dominating everything and it's just not very interesting.

Or at least, do the war story with increasing stakes and changing scenarios. The fact that the "war" has been reset and the enemy country is basically the same country but in a different region doesn't help.

>The fact that we only now find out that the proxy fight wasn't seen live is a bit of a pull, but I do like that he's using misinformation to make it look like Totou is in the wrong. And Sento's response to that - that they have to fight differently - may yet pay dividends.

I think it's ridiculous to believe that Touto wouldn't insist on some kind of live feed on their end, or... didn't have some kind of way of recording the fights themselves. It's like the Olympics happening, but instead of airing it on TV you're only given the results.

>PS After last week, where has Sawa gone now?

The money for the rich lady probably ran out, so she went back into her storage closet to keep her preserved for her next outing.

>At this point I don't think that's his goal. He had access to 40 bottles when he gave them to Sento ahead of the first proxy fight. My suspicion is that this is another strategy to further push the growth of Sento and Ryuga (particularly their hazard levels).

Yeah, from the beginning, his not so subtle goal has been to make Ryuuga and Sento stronger. But why? At this point in the game, it sort of seems like we should understand at least some of the enigmatic villain's motives/goals. I'd much rather have Master be an actual character instead of playing the part of deus ex villain every time they need action to happen on screen.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”