KR Build 30 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:33 am

☆☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 30 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - What is going on?

Last week's results: 3.69 / 5 (16 votes)

Weirdly, this episode felt like it was addressing all my concerns. We got to see the characters interact (Sawa's there too) loved it. We got away from the dour war and stuff, but at the same time, a lot of stuff felt sprung on the viewer with little or no set up.

The Banjou stuff feels sloppy. It's like the guy realized that he didn't give Banjou anything to do, so they made up this Mars background for him. You've had 30 episodes to set this up or drop hints to it, why are we just hearing about it now? Also, they give Banjou a backstory of being a boxer, but that never comes up. No one ever walks up to him and goes "Aren't you Banjou the former boxer? I used to be a big fan, etc." Anyway, I wouldn't mind them giving Banjou more stuff to do, but this stuff is really coming out of nowhere.

On another note, I was going to ask if Master is even human anymore, since he fired on his own daughter. But I guess we now know that he's having a Jekyl and Hyde sort of deal. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Could Master be Evolt?

-Loved Sento smiling as he transforms on his bike, his character is way too dour.
-I didn't love the bike sequence though. It's great in concept, but the CGI implementation felt so ridiculously fake. You can totally tell he's basically riding and firing at nothing.
-Oh, the one dolk was to give the government a plausible excuse to dismiss him. I worry that Japanese kids will watch this show and get the wrong impression of how politics actually works. Also, they sent Grease and Cross-Z to help him, so basically nothing the government says or does really matters. Plus, people already think Touto went back on the proxy battle, so it's not like committing an act of aggression really means anything.
-I honestly don't know what Rogue is doing. He's clearly not a lackey for Stark or Midou, so what does he get by fighting for them? I'm really disappointed with what they've done with his character. His Rider form is too powerful to bring out regularly, so he gets replaced with the cog bros. All the while, none of them get any characterization, they just show up to fight the good guys.

The episode was a lot to take in, but it felt a lot better to watch than all the dumb war stuff. I just worry they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the formula, without thinking carefully about how to expand it smartly.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 30 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I'm frankly disappointed about Soichi's true nature. And judging by his "I want you (Sento/Ryuuga) to get stronger." line after this, he's planning something so predictable with any of the two Riders once they reach the plateau.

Gentoku's already sniffing about Nanba's plan with the tower. Get crackin, croc.

So this is it. Our heroes gatecrashing into Pandora's Tower to reclaim the Box. Good luck.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Kalsidion
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Kalsidion »

Hi, long time viewer, first poster. I think this was a really good episode that starts to open up the real meat of the series, as it were. I think I like where it's going and I'm excited to see how this all ends up.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 am
The Banjou stuff feels sloppy. It's like the guy realized that he didn't give Banjou anything to do, so they made up this Mars background for him. You've had 30 episodes to set this up or drop hints to it, why are we just hearing about it now? Also, they give Banjou a backstory of being a boxer, but that never comes up. No one ever walks up to him and goes "Aren't you Banjou the former boxer? I used to be a big fan, etc." Anyway, I wouldn't mind them giving Banjou more stuff to do, but this stuff is really coming out of nowhere.
I disagree. There's been plenty of stuff hinted at where Banjou has weird affinities for things related to Pandora's Box. We start finding out that his accusation from episode 1 is no coincidence. He naturally knows what the best matches for bottles are. His hazard level grows at a faster rate than anyone else's. This has been something they've been planning since the very beginning. The subtle hints have always been there, and I think the genius in it is that we all thought they were just weird quirks he had or events that only seems he's randomly wrapped in, but they're now connecting all the dots together. Now we can start to see who Banjou really is and how he's related to everything.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Jumping from cliffhanger to cliffhanger is really starting to wear on me. Episodes are just starting to run together and big developments aren't being given proper time to be digested before the series moves on to the next thing. We barely find out just what it means for the Queen of Mars to be inside Misora, and now we're already off to Ryuuga possibly not being human. Just the former and Stark's sudden(?) dual personality would be enough to chew on for a single episode. Overall it's not a bad episode, but the pacing continues to let the show down.

I'm glad Ryuuga is finally getting some focus, and I'm even happier that we finally get to see the good version of Cross-Z again. But I do have to agree with Takenoko that his inhuman origins just seem to come out of nowhere. With any luck the next episode will fix that. But right now it comes off as completely disconnected from his prior characterization.

But hey, the poor sod is finally on the path of getting an upgrade! He's essentially been getting beat around since the introduction of Grease. Though I had to stop and go back to figure out where the heck his power-up item came from. The fact that the rock was the result of Stark's attack was practically a blink-and-you-miss-it event. Unfortunately it also means that this show is pretty much pulling power-ups out of nowhere again; or more specifically Deus Ex Barista is just handing stuff out. And none of this explains why Misora teleported a rock back to base...

And hey, they remembered the rider part of Kamen Rider! Remember how for the first dozen episodes this series had a bike in virtually every episode, and then how it's essentially been AWOL for the last 3 months? While the bike doesn't need to be in all 50-ish episodes of the series, I'm glad to see it again. Or more accurately, I'm glad the writers remembered he had it. (Though I agree once it switched to CGI it got terrible)

The one Dolk thing is weird though. Like, I get where it was meant to go conceptually, but the execution doesn't work? Papa PM handed over the money willingly. Now maybe if Sento called him up and said he wasn't going to get paid back, then I can see the scenario. But that's not what happened. But regardless, we're moving on.

On the plus side, the humor worked well in this episode. I cracked up when Misora collapsed in Otoya's lap and he started worrying about how much this would cost him. That's a good follow-through from some of the past episodes, including the coupons from the previous episode, which it would appear that he never received.:( Overall this episode was more upbeat despite the stakes, and that's a nice change of pace from "War!".

Oh, and is this the first time we've heard the name "Evolt"? I feel like we've heard it once before, but I can't place it...
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 am -I honestly don't know what Rogue is doing. He's clearly not a lackey for Stark or Midou, so what does he get by fighting for them? I'm really disappointed with what they've done with his character.
Revenge for being ousted from power? He's a man with grand ambitions, and other people are stopping him from fulfilling them.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:54 pm Oh, and is this the first time we've heard the name "Evolt"? I feel like we've heard it once before, but I can't place it...
Appeared once in episode 25 when Misora went green-eyed, just a little bit before the OP.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:54 pm Oh, and is this the first time we've heard the name "Evolt"? I feel like we've heard it once before, but I can't place it...
Appeared once in episode 25 when Misora went green-eyed, just a little bit before the OP.
Ahh yep, that's it. Thanks Luna!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Kalsidion wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm He naturally knows what the best matches for bottles are. His hazard level grows at a faster rate than anyone else's.
Did he find a best match more than once? I just remember that one time they mentioned it. I dunno, both of those things are still stuff that happened in like the first 10 episodes of the series. Characterwise, it's been kind of a dry stretch for poor Banjou. I guess he did eat some bad jelly and then stopped hulking out through the power of friendship or something, lol.

>Though I had to stop and go back to figure out where the heck his power-up item came from. The fact that the rock was the result of Stark's attack was practically a blink-and-you-miss-it event.

Oh yeah, where the heck did that rock come from? Banjou just finding a Mars rock then turning it into a bottle in the middle of a conversation was part of the reason why I said the execution was sloppy and rushed. Are we supposed to believe that's the bottle for his next power up?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 am Are we supposed to believe that's the bottle for his next power up?
That's exactly what it is. Sento even says he's going to use it in Cross-Z's power-up.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This is more like it. The reason I fell in love with Build. Excellent humour that's in character and doesn't feel shoehorned in.

The Banjou thing is interesting. It does explain Starks obsession with him. I guess it was kind of foreshadowed with his constantly rising Hazard Level and the fact he always found the best matches when Sento couldn't. I also liked how they went back to that joke from episode 2 about his birth.

Gentoku looks like he might be going along reluctantly at this stage. Based on what Owner said, they might have a kill switch installed on the driver or in him if he rebels.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Semi-related thought: just what is 1 Dolk worth, anyhow?

Being a Japanese show, you'd assume that it's a stand-in for the Yen. However as we've seen with Papa PM's loan to Sento, Totou issues 1 Dolk banknotes, when in the real-world Japanese banknotes only go as low as 100 JPY, and even a 1 Yen coin is practically worthless. This strongly implies that a Dolk is worth more than a Yen, as it's valuable enough to justify printing it on a relatively expensive note. Keeping with real-world analogies, this would put the minimum value of 1 Dolk at the value of the smallest Japanese banknote, so 100 JPY.

The flip side to that however is that when Misora falls on Otoya's lap and he immediately begins trying to figure out what he should pay for the, er, privilege, Sawa tries to charge him 200,000 Dolk, a figure he questions but doesn't outright dismiss as unreasonable. Suffice it to say, if the Dolk is as valuable as we calculate above, then 200K Dolk is a massive sum, equivalent to a small house or apartment. Not only would Otoya not be carrying around that much currency in his wallet, but as he was previously a farmer he likely wouldn't have that kind of money to begin with.

This in turn implies that a single Dolk is worth much less than 100 JPY. Going back to 1 JPY seems to be the obvious assumption, but even then, 200K JPY is still a significant sum. Otoya is such a massive fan that he'd probably be willing to pay it, but would he be carrying around that kind of currency? Or is the Dolk in fact worth even less, perhaps in a post-disaster economy gripped with hyperinflation?

Either way, these two facts seem impossible to rectify. How can 1 Dolk be valuable enough to issue as a banknote, but a small enough unit of currency that Otoya has no problem paying it out of pocket for Misora's contact?

Either:

1) The Totou government is critically inept, printing relatively expensive banknotes for tiny units of currency, with each note costing 5-10x its value (assuming 1 Dolk = 1 JPY). This would in fact explain some things about the state of society, and perhaps even when Gentoku wants to take over.

2) We've found a plot hole.:P

Sadly, the world may never know...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also loving the fact that base Cross-Z makes a reappearance. Charge ended up growing on me, but regular still has a 10/10 design.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 am Semi-related thought: just what is 1 Dolk worth, anyhow?
I feel like you've thought more about it than the creators, lol. From the bill and the fact that it's called a dolk, I just assumed it'd be the equivalent of a dollar. But like you said, having Otoya pay that much money for just having her sit in his lap is more closer to what you'd expect from a value closer to yen. I feel like it's just a case of the left hand not talking to the right.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:23 pm
ViRGE wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 am Semi-related thought: just what is 1 Dolk worth, anyhow?
I feel like you've thought more about it than the creators, lol.
Oh I definitely am. That's the fun of it. :mrgreen:

(And still, 200K JPY seems like a bit much. A person could have a lot of fun in Tokyo with that kind of cash)
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

takenoko wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 am
Kalsidion wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm He naturally knows what the best matches for bottles are. His hazard level grows at a faster rate than anyone else's.
Did he find a best match more than once? I just remember that one time they mentioned it. I dunno, both of those things are still stuff that happened in like the first 10 episodes of the series. Characterwise, it's been kind of a dry stretch for poor Banjou. I guess he did eat some bad jelly and then stopped hulking out through the power of friendship or something, lol.
He actually found a Best Match twice: Hawk Gatling and Ninnin Comic, episodes 3 and 5 respectively. It was this supposed trait that Sento had Banjou choose which combination would best work for the first power-up item(RabbitTankSparkling).
Unfortunately it also means that this show is pretty much pulling power-ups out of nowhere again; or more specifically Deus Ex Barista is just handing stuff out. And none of this explains why Misora teleported a rock back to base...
I sometimes wish they could do what Sentai does with their heroes and have the riders develop their base forms to handle villains who gave them episode(s) long grief.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Can't sell toys that way. Sentai gets away with it because they just sell more mecha.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”