KR Build 33 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon May 14, 2018 12:02 am

☆☆☆☆☆
39%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
11%
No votes

Total votes: 18
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 33 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Gentoku dies at the sunset

Last week's results: 4.33 / 5 (6 votes)

I dunno, kind of a disappointing episode for me.

They joke about brushing aside Banjou not being human in the recap, but they literally do that. Banjou is barely in this episode. Same with Kazumin.

Utsumi is ruined. I hate that he's just a brainwashed lackey.

And Gentoku is ruined because we can't tell if he's acting of his own accord or if he's just being coerced into it.

Gentoku, you dumb bastard. Why don't you destroy that remote or something? Oh that's a second one. It literally looks like Stark just picked up the one Gentoku threw away.

Wow, this scene is stupid. Instead of seeing Gentoku act or talk about what he's thinking, we get Stark explaining Gentoku's change of heart through basically deus ex machina mechanics. You might as well say that the power of Kamen Rider turned him into a good guy.

Okay, killing off Gentoku's dad doesn't work for me. Gentoku is just a two bit villain in the first part of the series, then mysterious things happen to him (that'll surely be revealed in the Rogue spinoff) and he comes back as a Rider. But he barely gets any screentime so we never know what he's thinking, what his motivations are, or anything.

So it's hard to feel sorry for Gentoku losing his dad, because to me, he's barely a character. They didn't earn the emotional buildup or payoff that comes from killing off the dad.

This is a big problem with this series in general. Death never feels good in Build, because it's never earned, it's assumed that a death will be an emotionally impactful tool instead of being the culmination of character development.

1) Banjou's girlfriend, we never meet her or see Banjou's relationship with her before she's killed off in the same episode. Is expected to be a big character moment for Banjou, but he only really thinks about her 2-3 times after she dies.

2) The three Idiots. I guess we're supposed to care about them since Kazumin does. But you can't expect each of the deaths to be equally impactful, especially if you repeat it three times in short succession. To be fair, their deaths are handled pretty respectfully, giving us good moments with Kazumin and Sento. But they linger a bit too much on it, in the end.

3) Gentoku's dad. Bad for reasons I listed above.

Also Stark is a Rider now. Why? Do you not need Evol gas to become a Rider, as they mentioned when they changed Gentoku? Or can you just become a Rider by having a different transformation device? Like why does Stark need KR Rogue in the first place if he can become a Rider himself? Not loving Rider Snake form, it's busy. There was something kind of weird about the Stark suit that I liked, it also had a great red/green color scheme. The red, yellow, blue of Rider Snake just makes me think the designer was too focused on the primary colors for this series.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 33 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I for one welcome our new Martian Overlord! (Quick, someone play Slim Whitman's Indian Love Call!!)

Evolt's a very smart one. Its Driver was a component to the Purifier Machine, allowing Misora to purify Smash essences safely and not go through coma post-creation. Vernage's vision of Martian Apocalypse and the Evol Driver's energy, slowly but surely, have created the Full Bottles while Sento benchmarks them. But those bottles are the new keys to unlocking Pandora's Tower. Sento, Misora, both of you have been played, not just by daddy.

Whelp. Gentoku lost another one as a consequence of his desire to make Japan his.

Now you've piqued my interest, show!!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Speaking of deus ex machina, the huge info dump upon finding the Evol Driver blueprints was way too convenient. It felt like the characters stumbled upon the series encyclopedia that the writers made during pre-production.

Why does Utsumi hand him the Evol Driver? The CEO of Nanba Industries made it very clear he does not trust Stark.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well I for one liked Papa PM and I'm sad to see him go. It was nice to have one character outside of the core heroes who could be a sensible ally. Most often if you aren't a Rider and you aren't a groupie, then you're the comic relief. I do get why he's being eliminated - to further Gentoku's character arc - but Papa PM was the only person really looking out for the people.

Otherwise I'm ambivalent in this episode. We got a ton of backstory, which is great. But it was an encyclopedia dump, which is less great. And Sento yet again built a driver for the enemy. It was stupid the first time, and it's even dumber here. This kind of forced stupidity is getting grating.

And I guess Evolt's rider form is okay? Not bad, but it's kind of spiky for no good reason.
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:02 am Banjou is barely in this episode. Same with Kazumin.
Kazumin's disappearance is just straight-up odd. He's been in every episode thus far, so it's not a recurring actor contractual thing where he's only budgeted for so many episodes. I wonder if something was going on behind the scenes that required him to be absent, such as an illness?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I liked Papa PM a lot. I greatly disagreed with his politics and thought he was needlessly naive, but it's kind of nice to have someone argue for a purely idealistic stance? I'd have much rather had him stick around for the rest of the series than to have him serve as a catalyst for Gentoku to gain characterization.

It just feels like everyone who isn't the main Rider is kind of getting the short end of the characterization stick. I don't really know what the solution is. Are there too many Riders or is it some kind of balancing act? I'm not entirely sure we needed a Rider Rogue and a Rider Stark personally...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Evol looks cool as fuck. There is no way Stark was going to job twice in one episode without that comeback at the end. I did like when Banjou dropped him that everyone stopped fighting and looked in disbelief. His insert theme sounds cool, but its used kind of poorly this episode.

I can almost forgive Misora fucking up. She hasn't seen her dad since he walked out with the Sclash Driver data. Was Utsumi hiding behind that crate the whole time and does he realise he's aiding a planet destroying superbeing?

In regards to Katsumin not being in the episode much, I remember 2 months ago he was holidaying in Australia and people were speculating he was going to be killed off. I guess this episode falls under that time period.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Can you really call it "reassemble" when all he did was snap some parts back together? I mean at least get a screwdriver out, damn.

Goodby Daddy PM, you never did get your 1 dolk back.

I really wish they had shifted this episode to next week and given us some more insight into the whole "Banjou not human" schtick this week cause it's really just kinda handwaved away and Banjou doesn't even really mention it except in the opening talk.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I did also like how the Evol Drivers lever crank tune is similar to the initial loop of Ode to Joy. Nice throwback to that episode with the Tower of Pandora summoning.

And Evolt voicing his own belt is awesome.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

R.I.P Touto PM, I always liked you as a character, baring your politics and naivety.

Sento why didn't you just make a fake Evol Driver if you knew it was a bad idea to hand it to the enemy speaking of which Utsumi why hand it over to someone the CEO of the company you work for doesn't trusts. Also Gentoku why not destroy the remote, from the way the scene was shot it looked like you threw it away only for Stark to pick the damn thing up and shock you again. I know Kazumi was resting but did he get a call saying we need help or something? And brushing off that Ryuga was an alien? man what are you doing Build?
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

I still can't believe you didn't add in 'o' for Evolto even though it was there in english too as well as the proper name of "Soichi". Also, when will we get to see the full version of the MV "Be the One"?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

stardrago wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 pm I still can't believe you didn't add in 'o' for Evolto even though it was there in english too as well as the proper name of "Soichi". Also, when will we get to see the full version of the MV "Be the One"?
I still can't believe you're whining about this shit.
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

is it just me, or does anyone else wish we had the Build/Ex-Aid movie already? it didn't take this long for the Ex-Aid/Ghost one.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

hamn8rjr wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:47 am is it just me, or does anyone else wish we had the Build/Ex-Aid movie already? it didn't take this long for the Ex-Aid/Ghost one.
Eh? Yes it did. Kamen Rider Heisei Generations wasn't released on disc until May 10th, and the TV-N release came about a month after that. Meanwhile the Heisei Generations Final disc isn't out for a few more days, as the street date on that is May 9th. So it's the same exact slots as last year.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The Special Event is just a stage show thing. Here's a low quality clip of the Kyuranger one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0oLeO1Rc2o
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

ViRGE wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:41 am
hamn8rjr wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:47 am is it just me, or does anyone else wish we had the Build/Ex-Aid movie already? it didn't take this long for the Ex-Aid/Ghost one.
Eh? Yes it did. Kamen Rider Heisei Generations wasn't released on disc until May 10th, and the TV-N release came about a month after that. Meanwhile the Heisei Generations Final disc isn't out for a few more days, as the street date on that is May 9th. So it's the same exact slots as last year.
really? huh, guess I'm just really impatient. I coulda sworn the Ex-Aid movie came out on DVD when the show was in the 20s. It's just, we hear all about the Kaiser system, and we don't get to see it in action. and the episodes where they show the clips from then are all but spoilers

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”