KR Build 35 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon May 28, 2018 10:54 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
22%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
28%
☆☆
17%
No votes

Total votes: 18
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 35 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Snake man does as snake man does

Last week's results: 4.38 / 5 (13 votes)

Stark betrays Nanba and tries to bring an end to the world? Why is this surprising to Nanba, how stupid is he?

Sento, Grease is right there. You're not the only one who can save Banjou, so don't say that.

Stark can turn invisible now too? How overpowered is this guy?

Wait, more technology leads to war? How's that work, snakeman? Has he not seen Wall-E? Technology leads to people sitting on their butts and watching Netflix all day.

Why do people still live around Pandora's Tower?

If you ignore the typical Build problems, kind of an entertaining episode.

Speaking of typical Build problems, here's a real bad example: They bring in Gentoku and give him the choice to fight with them. Gentoku is initially resistant, saying they won't erase the crimes he's committed... but before he comes around and decides to fight with the heroes, Stark shows up and they're immediately into battle. This show, sadly, doesn't care about character agency. It's fine if you don't mind it being Stark being in total control, but there are no stakes when the heroes never truly win.

At least they gave Kazumi a funny bit with Misora.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 35 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

We had a good run here, Build. Hope the new series succeeding this one will pique narrative intrigue... Right, new episode next week.

Reusing Hazard was a waste of time. Evolt still curbstomps people. Fights are so eh.

Well, Shinobu's suicide is even more sadder because he worked for the devil. Skywall wasn't enough to drive him over the edge.

Nanba, Utsumi-san, don't you have any other means of supressing Evolt? Ordering Utsumi to stop Evolt was a bad idea. And where are the cogheads to help him, hmm??

Save us, Sora Amamiya!! Your enemy's dragging this on for too long!!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Zzzzzzzzz....
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I mean, at least we got some explanation as to why Banjou always knew the Best Matches, and why Stark always let them go. But on the other hand, having the same players do the same thing again week after week is getting really stale. Can we get a proper Smash monster please?

The Kazumin bit was really good. Otoya's always been great at those ridiculous facial expressions.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I get the feeling that the episodes feel rushed because there is only 10 or so episodes left, but they needed to stick to normal pacing for the series as a whole (Like Evol appearing at the 33 mark). As a consequence, we have stuff like Take mentioned, Gentoku's motivation being cut short because Evolt has stealth camo and super speed to take them the the tower. I really annoys me because they haven't quite broken from these types of writing decisions since the start of the first war arc and its the kind of stuff that keeps Build from being really great.

I like the they do remember stuff like Evol having memory against forms that've been used. Was hoping that Sento would lose control using Hazard Dragon Lock, but Tank Tank was doing a good job until he fell for Evols ploy (genius my ass).
lennyhouston16
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gaim, OOO, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva, W, Go-Busters

Post by lennyhouston16 »

While I'll admit that Build has had it's fair share of plotholes but I've been enjoying it since the beginning. I just hope they don't negate Pandora Box's destruction within the first 2 minutes of the next episode.

Also, I know Sento is a genius but he has human moments like with the Banjou voice thing. Honestly, I like that he fell for it and it shows just how cunning Evol is.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, why is Nanbas contingency plan for stopping Evolt activating the box to send Utsumi to threaten him with a Transteam Gun? Why not use the Clone Smashes they introduced a few episodes ago or the Hard Guardians or even the Jobber Bros?

Where are the Jobber Bros? Did Grease defeat them off screen?
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Love that Kazumi part, I'd probably act like that if I was in his shoes

as for the episode, it's meh. I'm pretty sure Namba should have send the Hell Bros to try and fail to stop Evolt instead of someone who may not even be able to last long against him. Speaking of which where were they?
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

Frankly, I feel like this series has ended already.

the box is open, evolt has accomplished his goals. anything else now seems anticlimactic. what can 'evilvolt" POSSIBLY do, that'll make him seem worse? he's already tried to blow up the planet. it ain't gonna happen yet, so the rest of the series is just sento trying to stop him from reopening it. rehash.

I feel like they're losing the ramp up last few seasons. the... superbeings... in ghost, Chronos constantly doing the same shit every week in Ex-Aid, and now this. The writers aren't thinking the timeline out fully, and it's biting them in the ass.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

To be fair, until we get Builds final form beating Evolt up every week, I still feel like there is an endgame to get to.

Evolt has hinted he wants to do something other than straight blow up the Earth in his current run of world ending. I imagine he has a few more gambits before its all over.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

This was an overall meh episode to me. Too many 'tragic hero'/'tokusatsu story cliches are rammed down our throats to remind us that we're really close to the end, but are also really padding this stuff out for a few more episodes.

Maybe it's my fault because I'm putting everything to the same standard as Kamen Rider Gaim (when they stuck to the main story at least,) but these last few episodes are lack luster when it comes to emotion and impact. I just can't get behind these Deus Ex Machinas, at all.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I still can't believe that Sento figured out how to deactivate the kill switch in croc but didn't think to put a kill switch in Evolt.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

When Build decides to pull off comedic effects (particularly those involving Kazumin/Miitan) they're really effective.

I enjoy Build most for its character moments, if only the writer invests more in growing and fleshing out the characters. They do not need a convoluted plot to make the series great, they just need to have a plot that gives the characters a chance to grow and shine. That's what truly is missing from Build and stops it from being great.

p/s: Are they rehashing the God Kouta with Sento next week? White hair and all. Sento already have a god-complex lel
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm But on the other hand, having the same players do the same thing again week after week is getting really stale. Can we get a proper Smash monster please?
That's pretty much where I am with this series right now. Week after week, it's just so rote. Nothing seems to matter because the major plot points have been fixed in stone for ages now, and how we get to those points isn't very interesting. (At the end of the day, seeing the villain win again and again isn't as fun as the hero).

Which is a shame, because someone behind the scenes is trying really hard. This is a fairly complex plot with some deep themes. And for this episode in particular they've clearly went all-out on the choreography and the CGI; it's a high-budget episode. But it's all fury and no action, as it were. It's not delivering on anything that makes me excited to tune in next week to see how the story progresses.
Sinkuu wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm Frankly, I feel like this series has ended already.

the box is open, evolt has accomplished his goals. anything else now seems anticlimactic. what can 'evilvolt" POSSIBLY do, that'll make him seem worse? he's already tried to blow up the planet. it ain't gonna happen yet, so the rest of the series is just sento trying to stop him from reopening it. rehash.

I feel like they're losing the ramp up last few seasons. the... superbeings... in ghost, Chronos constantly doing the same shit every week in Ex-Aid, and now this. The writers aren't thinking the timeline out fully, and it's biting them in the ass.
So much this.
Catastrophe wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 pm Evolt has hinted he wants to do something other than straight blow up the Earth in his current run of world ending. I imagine he has a few more gambits before its all over.
So this raises a good question: just why does Evolt want to keep destroying planets? Even as an agent of chaos, he doesn't seem to be particularly evil. Why destroy the Earth when he is taking enjoyment in being the puppet master?
Lunagel wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm The Kazumin bit was really good. Otoya's always been great at those ridiculous facial expressions.
I may be alone in this, but I didn't care for that scene. This episode admittedly was in bad need of some levity, what with the end of the world and all. But the sudden jump from serious-comedic-serious was very jarring. Though you are right about Otoya's actor nailing it; the reason the scene didn't work wasn't because of him.
takenoko wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:54 pmStark can turn invisible now too? How overpowered is this guy?
He has all of the powers of a Rider combined with all of the powers of being a writer. :lol:
darkmage02 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm
Spoiler
p/s: Are they rehashing the God Kouta with Sento next week? White hair and all. Sento already have a god-complex lel
Spoiler
That's the Evol driver he's wearing, so something is clearly amiss. Perhaps part of the episode involves getting Evolt to possess him?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>So this raises a good question: just why does Evolt want to keep destroying planets? Even as an agent of chaos, he doesn't seem to be particularly evil. Why destroy the Earth when he is taking enjoyment in being the puppet master?

Who wants to bet it's because there's suffering in the world, and he wants to liberate the world from it?

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”