KR Build 36 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:50 am

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
58%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 36 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - The End of the World has been postponed

Last week's results: 3.56 / 5 (16 votes)

A better episode this week. We see Grease get a little bit of payback on Crocodile. There's a nice scene between Misora and Sento. Sento almost comes up with a good plan.

Watching the opening again, you can see that the light inside of Misora's refrigerator box thing is green. Guess that's sort of a nice "That's been there the whole time" detail. Also, Bernage emptying out the bottles before the series starts explains why Misora has the power to restore the bottles. It's a little detail, but it's nice to know that it was considered, and that things aren't just magic or pulled out of a butt logicwise.

Even though Misora and Sento have a good moment, I've never really bought that they were the most important relationship. I always thought Misora and Banjou had better chemistry, and Sento was too weird and in love with science to deal with Misora. But maybe that's just me.

I have difficulty believing that Grease isn't already fighting off robo troopers when Sento arrives, but that's just me.

Nice try Sento, but clearly even when you know the villain's ultimate plan, you can't outsmart the Gary Stu of the story. Ring the gong, Stark's outsmarted everyone yet again. Why is Sento's hair white? It didn't turn Master or Banjou's hair a different color. This little detail probably bothers me more than it should.

Also, next week will probably be pretty good since Sento won't be the main character, and we'll get to hang out with the other guys.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 36 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 amNice try Sento, but clearly even when you know the villain's ultimate plan, you can't outsmart the Gary Stu of the story. Ring the gong, Stark's outsmarted everyone yet again. Why is Sento's hair white? It didn't turn Master or Banjou's hair a different color. This little detail probably bothers me more than it should.
Dragonball's Super Saiyan thesis? The stronger the person, a change of hair color to indicate strength beyond calculation (which Evolt's been doing all this time)?? Yeah, I was at a party over the weekend and friends were playing Fighterz.

Hey Nanba, I know you want to build an empire made out of the Box's energy, so why haven't you bugged and conduct overwatch on your best agent after he opened the Box?? I was hoping you were less senile than Taizan but keep this allegiance, see what happens next.

Hey Chronos, remember that time you used to be the hottest boss who could curbstomp everyone and call it a day, every day?? Yeah, getting tired of this rethread, even if the deviations were decent.

Sora's back, for a moment. Hope you get well soon. Thank Zod, the next episode's all about Ryuuga.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Definitely a better episode than last week's. Still, as much as I want to give this episode a 5, Build keeps coming up with ways to sabotage itself.

The big problem is that once again Stark wins. Stark always wins. And I get why this needs to be the case, as the series needs to up the stakes. So I can't really complain in that respect. But the difference between a good series and a great series is that the better series will find a way to box in the heroes without making them fight the same fight week after week, losing time and time again. It would have the villains send out a MOTW as a distraction while they go off and achieve their real objective, or at least pull out some other reason to allow the heroes to fight someone other than the same overpowered jackass. Sento just spends too much time getting his ass kicked in this series, and it's getting tiring. Though at the end of the day I can't argue that the stakes haven't been raised in a most incredible way.:o

The other drawback on this episode was Grease and Rogue fighting. I get what the writers were going for, but it still feels like some kind of non sequitur fight. Things are getting bad, so rather than staying by Sento, Grease and Rogue went out to the middle of nowhere to fight? The concept could have worked. But the execution could have been better. It was a well-choreographed fight though.

On the plus side, the BGM is really on point this week. Both the opening scene and Bernage's monologue had really powerful songs, and the audio mix was perfect; they were in the forefront, but they didn't drown out the dialogue.

Finally, best comedic scene in this episode: Otoya popping his head out of a freezer.:D I've always wanted to pop out of a refrigerator as a Halloween gag...
takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am Even though Misora and Sento have a good moment, I've never really bought that they were the most important relationship. I always thought Misora and Banjou had better chemistry, and Sento was too weird and in love with science to deal with Misora. But maybe that's just me.
For what it's worth, I agree with you. This is mainly the fault of the writers; they've given Misora good scenes with both of those heroes, however the episode where fugitive Banjou sneaks out and enjoys a day with the equally captive Misora was such a wonderful scene that it overrides anything the writers might be going for. And I don't even mean that in a romantic sense; Banjou and Misora's actors just absolutely killed it in that episode; they play off of each other so well.

That said, Misora's actress again killed it in this episode. I wish she had more to do in general - she's still stuck at times in this rut of being the woman left behind wringing her hands - but damn if she didn't act her heart out when asking Sento to think of himself.
Also, Bernage emptying out the bottles before the series starts explains why Misora has the power to restore the bottles. It's a little detail, but it's nice to know that it was considered, and that things aren't just magic or pulled out of a butt logicwise.
I really wish they would have explained this earlier though. And better for that matter. I'm glad they aren't pulling bottles out of their behinds, but I still don't get why the bottles are a thing to begin with. Somehow that whole point has gone over my head.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

One thing good that came out of the Grease and Rogue fight was a reminder that Rogue did something pretty bad. I'm glad they're not just hand waving the death of one of the three idiots (although didn't he also kill yellow?) It may seem random, but I think it's an important scene for Grease to have in order to fight with Rogue in the future.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

One of the jobber bros killed Yellow. Rogue didn't appear until later that episode.

I don't get the criticism against Evolt winning again. Like it's been established over and over again he's just on another level to all of them. He's obviously had time to formulate his plan and has done the same shit countless of times before. It's better than what happened with Cronus, who would actually get his ass handed to him but they had to asspull week after week to keep him alive until the end of the shows run.

I think Evolt/Sento/Dante from Devil May Cry was disappointed with the Rabbit Evol Bottle because he wanted a Tank one. Seriously, Tank Tank putting in work this week.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Because there's nothing dramatic about a foregone conclusion?
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

My living room could sure use a Quickle Wiper.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 am Because there's nothing dramatic about a foregone conclusion?
Aye. I mean Catastrophe is right in that it is indeed better than Chronut who somehow kept winning despite losing. But that's setting a rather low bar.
SuperZeo
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: ToQger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by SuperZeo »

ViRGE wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 pm That said, Misora's actress again killed it in this episode. I wish she had more to do in general - she's still stuck at times in this rut of being the woman left behind wringing her hands - but damn if she didn't act her heart out when asking Sento to think of himself.
That performance blew me away; it was probably one of the best scenes of the series thus far. I was full of emotion and passion and she was able to translate how distraught she is about Sento - someone she cares about a lot if that scene was any indication.

I agree with you on the point that she's stuck being the woman left behind. I wish the Kamen Rider series did more with the female characters. They are usually very well written and developed, but they don't do much with them as characters. I was pleased that they made Poppy Pipopapo a Kamen Rider in Ex-Aid so she's not stuck on the sidelines anymore. She ended up having a decent arc, in my opinion, and was able to participate in the plot as an active character. It may not have flowed very smoothly, but it was a refreshing change to the Kamen Rider formula.
SuperZeo
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: ToQger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by SuperZeo »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am Even though Misora and Sento have a good moment, I've never really bought that they were the most important relationship. I always thought Misora and Banjou had better chemistry, and Sento was too weird and in love with science to deal with Misora. But maybe that's just me.
I thought that the chemistry between Misora and Banjou was virtually non-existent, aside from a few moments between them.

The relationship between Misora and Sento has always felt one-sided; where Misora is the one who cares more about Sento, and Sento seems to value her as a person in his life, but not really reciprocating Misora's feelings. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but it's something that has been pretty apparent to me throughout the show.

takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am Nice try Sento, but clearly even when you know the villain's ultimate plan, you can't outsmart the Gary Stu of the story. Ring the gong, Stark's outsmarted everyone yet again.
I somewhat agree with your assessment that Stark is the Gary Stu of the story. It seems that he has another trick to pull from his sleeve, same way Chronos seemed to avoid defeat every week in Ex-Aid, and Emu seeming to miraculously achieve God Mode with his dreadlocked form. I got tired with how they were dragging out Chronos' arc; it seemed that the writers made him and the Kamen Riders too powerful too quickly and painted themselves into a corner, so they dragged out the story line to finish out the season.

takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am Why is Sento's hair white? It didn't turn Master or Banjou's hair a different color. This little detail probably bothers me more than it should.
That probably happened when Sento used the panel from Pandora's box to raise his Hazard Level artificially. We saw him glowing orange for a bit before the explosion, and the white hair is probably caused from either from his HL being raised, Stark merging with him, or a combination of the two. We'll probably learn more in the next few weeks.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am < Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - The End of the World has been postponed

Nice try Sento, but clearly even when you know the villain's ultimate plan, you can't outsmart the Gary Stu of the story. Ring the gong, Stark's outsmarted everyone yet again. Why is Sento's hair white? It didn't turn Master or Banjou's hair a different color. This little detail probably bothers me more than it should.
Because Sento is Chiba-Usa and Barista Snake has turned Sento into Dark Lady.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”