KR Build 38 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 am

☆☆☆☆☆
64%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 38 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Another chapter another Rider appears

Last week's results: 4.55 / 5 (11 votes)

I actually really liked this episode. It feels like it goes places that other Rider shows don't, and kind of highlights the potential the Build has/had as a series.

Like the scene where Katsuragi confronts Gentoku. Sure, the swapping was unnecessary and we frankly know nothing of Katsuragi's personality at all even though he's one of the most important characters in the series, but having the characters confront their pasts was a really strong moment.

Not that the episode is without flaws. Is anyone surprised that the two nobody cog brothers and Nanba was ultimately betrayed at the end by the guy who betrays everyone? Thankfully, I don't think we were supposed to take their deaths seriously either, but I'm pretty tired of Build and its weightless death scenes.

What does Build plugging the panel into his belt do? Besides freaking out and giving Evolt a chance to knock him down?

Why does Evolt have a second Evolt Driver? You can't pull that out of thin air after making it a point that Evolt needed to get it back from Katsuragi to begin with.

So Utsumi's betrayal? I like the guy, but he has no character! I thought it was stylish the way he broke the cane and his Rider form looks cool, but how lame is it that he's just named after another Rider in the series? I'll reserve judgment on Mad Rogue for later, but for the moment, it feels like they kept Utsumi in a closet for 38 episodes, and just now wheeled him out to do something interesting.

5 for great concepts, good fight scenes, and some interesting character moments, despite some typical dumb Build tropes.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 38 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

To quote Jessup from New Vegas, he’s a snake.

Well, by re-watching the 7 Best Matches special after this, it seems Utsumi siding with Evolt was possible, what with both of them achieving a simple, mutual bond by putting Sento through heck (Soichi training him rigorously just so Sento can fight Grease evenly, which eventually helped Stark’s “I need you stronger” plan) and beta-tests (Same Bike VS Hell Bros). Kinda helped that Utsumi was an asshole regardless if he was one of the Nanba kids.

Katsuragi’s going total atoner. While skeptical of Ryuuga’s current allegiance, he didn’t do anything to him, he told Gentoku that both of them screwed everything up and Misora’s really scared of his work ethic. Then the snake tells him it’s ALL his fault. Regardless of what people have told you of your actions, you have to continue, Katsuragi Takumi. Years ago, a certain person named Takumi did so regardless of what he turned out to be.

Soo, Ryuuga, care to give us a tour on pre-apocalypse Mars??
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Totally got me there, Toei. When I first heard of it I totally thought that Mad Rogue is a power-up form for Himuro Gentoku.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I didn't really dig this episode. I wish they spent more time with Katsuragi. They try to play him off as sympathetic despite the fact we've also had scenes of him as a mad scientist without any reason why there was a motivational switch (the Evolt threat was kind of implied but never really outright stated). I also don't really by Utsumi going mad because of old man Nanbas death because it's not really implied there is more to the relationship than him being indoctrinated at a young age.

Mad Rogue brings up a series of questions as well. How did Evolt get a second driver? If he was a scientist of that caliber around then he didn't need to bother with Sento. How can Utsumi use it if you need a Hazard Level of 5 to do so? This pisses me off mostly due to the fact that at the start of Build they were really good explaining the technical and scientific aspects of the gear which dropped off after the Sclash Driver.

RIP Jobber Bros. No one cares you died. Also, while I'm glad Nanba died like a dog, it didn't really feel cathartic at all.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I enjoyed that episode. It wasn't up to a 5 (and I'll get to why in a sec), but overall it was a good episode. And you can tell it was important, because there was no OP!

Despite the fact that he only had a handful of lines, all the best scenes revolved around Gentoku. He was the only Rider smart enough in the beginning to realize that they needed a plan, and his scenes with both Katsuragi and Utsumi were quite good. Interestingly, they also mirror each other in a sense. He's asking Katsuragi for help, only for Utsumi to then ask him for help. And whereas Katsuragi was too angry at himself to really commit to it, Gentoku has learned his lesson and tried to help Utsumi. It of course failed - because this is like the 10th week in a row that the god damned Barista Snake has won - but it was a good character moment for a character that was underbaked and needed it.

However the rest of the underbaked characters really don't have anything going for them. So the time in this episode spent on them was just a waste. The gear brothers are just plot devices, and while I'm glad their deaths weren't dragged out, at the same time I also don't really give a hoot about them. And even Utsumi hasn't been enough of a character - or had enough real agency of his own - to make his betrayal all that interesting. Unless the writers pull out a small miracle here, it feels like this is just an effort to pad out the series by giving the heroes someone new to fight for a bit.

As for Katsuragi, there's an interesting problem. As a character he's important to the story in its past, but I'd argue he's not very important to the story in the present. I like the curveball that he's back, and that Sento is at least for the moment lost. However this episode practically glazed over all of this beyond quickly showing us how he's not Sento. It should be a much bigger deal to the Build crew that this other guy - this guy without Sento's heart - is now inhabiting the body of their friend and leader. If Katsuragi is back then that's the story I want to see. And it's not the story we're getting right now.

I will however give Sento's actor credit here. Not only for playing a different character, but for playing a deeper character. Sento is, sadly, not all that terribly interesting as a character even though he's the main character of the series. And one of the consequences of his shortcomings is that Sento's actor isn't left with much to work with at times. So seeing him playing Katsuragi coming to terms with everything that has happened is a nice change of pace.

Also, I really liked the swapping between Sento and OG Katsuragi's actors. I don't think it was necessary, but it looks cool. And for a toku production, sometimes that's good enough.

As far as aesthetics go though, I'm not sure what to make of the battlefield this time. Mirrors and clocks? I have to assume the crew was going for some kind of deeper meaning here. But to be honest it just looks kind of silly, as if they needed to dress up a sand pit and decided on surrealism over lunch.

I'm also not digging the sound effects for Evolt's upgraded form. I guess it's necessary to better differentiate him from Utsumi now. But the techno Ode to Joy always sounded really good. Now the theme - and I'm not sure what it is - just sounds like an odd chip tune (and Ex-Aid did those much better). On the other hand, the CGI for the new transformation sequence is definitely better than the copy of Build's transformation sequence.

Finally, I don't get Banjou's new form. Is Great Cross-Z Dragon supposed to be better than Magma? I would think not, since he keeps switching to Magma. But then why introduce the Great form and have him use it in the first place?
takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 am
What does Build plugging the panel into his belt do? Besides freaking out and giving Evolt a chance to knock him down?
As we saw a couple of episodes ago, it seems to be a means to further raise one's hazard level, presumably with the goal of getting it equal to Evolt's new form. However Katsuragi is clearly not up to par with Sento here in terms of ability to use it.
Why does Evolt have a second Evolt Driver? You can't pull that out of thin air after making it a point that Evolt needed to get it back from Katsuragi to begin with.
I guess he can build it now that he's fully unlocked his powers?
Catastrophe wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:51 pm Also, while I'm glad Nanba died like a dog, it didn't really feel cathartic at all.
I think the lack of catharsis comes from the fact that it was so sudden. Nanba had been such an ass that dying as quickly as he did is not nearly as enjoyable as Evolt fucking with him some more would be. He didn't even really get to see his own death coming.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Finally, I don't get Banjou's new form. Is Great Cross-Z Dragon supposed to be better than Magma? I would think not, since he keeps switching to Magma. But then why introduce the Great form and have him use it in the first place?

I'm just mad that Banjou apparently had to "create new genes" to transform again. Maybe he meant he took back his original cells, but that wouldn't change Banjou's DNA! What does that mean? Does he have super powers or not still?

>As we saw a couple of episodes ago, it seems to be a means to further raise one's hazard level, presumably with the goal of getting it equal to Evolt's new form. However Katsuragi is clearly not up to par with Sento here in terms of ability to use it.

Ah whatever, clearly it's some story bs since there's not visual change to accompany it. It just looks like he's plugging a cardboard box into his belt.

>I think the lack of catharsis comes from the fact that it was so sudden. Nanba had been such an ass that dying as quickly as he did is not nearly as enjoyable as Evolt fucking with him some more would be. He didn't even really get to see his own death coming.

Long and short, it's just badly written. The whole episode is about Nanba turning down a destroyer of worlds and we already know the consequences of it from the moment he sends Utsumi with the video. I don't know if it's too short or signaled too early and drawn out, but it definitely needed something different and more impactful for the death of a sorta mini boss.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

So two things that people have brought up that i think i can offer an explanation from my own view point, 1) the second Evol Driver, given the apparent power level complete Evol and the lack of a requirement to have a host body, i would say that the 2nd Evol driver is a fragment of himself and 2) How did Mad Rouge use the belt given the required hazard level? Simple Utsumi's mind snapped giving a opening to Evol to infect/Corrupt him, as seen in the henshin itself, it's a highly condensed Smash creation process, So Utsumi's hazard level was forced to 6.

At least that's how i see things, given Evol's amusement at Utsumi going crazy and having interest in humans. Also Evol Black Hole and Mad Rouge are my fave henshin's of the season graphically
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Finally, I don't get Banjou's new form. Is Great Cross-Z Dragon supposed to be better than Magma? I would think not, since he keeps switching to Magma. But then why introduce the Great form and have him use it in the first place?
To possibilities
1) It's a promo for a movie or was used in a movie hasn't been released on DVD and they are bringing it into the series (like Sentai).

Or

2) Builds final form might be one of those combination of all the base powers forms like Gaim but will actually use all the bottles, so they need a way for Banjo to keep a base form rather than straight using Magma every time.

Just guessing though.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”