KR Build 40 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
31%
☆☆
19%
No votes

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 40 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Tajimi's back

Last week's results: 3.83 / 5 (12 votes)

Wait, we see that Genius neutralizes the Nebula gas in Mad Rogue, so why is he able to still transform? And why is he surprised later when that cures Prime Minister Tajimi? Like why show that effect if it doesn't do or mean anything, especially since it means a lot when used in a different part of the episode? Like it just feels like the special effects guy messed up.

Sento, don't stop mid-rush at Evolt just because he's still monologing!

Smoothest transition to CM ever.

The bad writing gets to me. It's like one person running off on their own is the only way the writer knows for raising tension in the show. It's like a bad horror flick where everyone acts like an idiot because there's no show otherwise.

Glad to see some NPCs return (no Katsuragi's mom, as someone mentioned, sadly). Seems kind of random bringing back this lady, I see she hasn't been in the show since episode 4? I guess I should just be glad that Toei bothered to have NPCs at all?

But yeah, it's annoying to see Kazumi run off and get captured like that. It makes you want to hit your head and go "Are any of you on the same page at all?" Kazumi, just wait for your overpowered friend to carry you through the mission.

I mean, they say Kazumi is more powerful now, and the Dragon jelly bottle did give him double claws, but we all know he's going to spend the rest of the show getting knocked down. If he dies, then my disappointment in the show will be complete.

Guess Gentoku showing off his offbeat civilian persona was kind of funny?

The thing that raised this episode up for me is Gi Ryoko's wonderful acting chops in her Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde portrayals of Tajimi. Her apologizing to Kazumi was genuinely pretty good.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 40 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I’ll get this out of the way: WTF’s with Gentoku lately? Is he on acid?? Why Pomp and Circumstance?? Is he “cured” of sensible fashion styles??

So, the Genius Bottle has the capability to neutralize Nebula Gas and cure the aggression of those infected with either gas or the Box’s light. They brought back the “Reprogramming” aspect of Maximum Mighty X for the Super Mode. How kind, though one should ask Takumi about the research behind this capability.

Oh hey, PM Tajimi, you’re back as a MOTW… How was your trip to Midgard? Oh, did you meet up with that Dad of Boy?? I only ask because you’ve been gone for too long, figured you've enjoyed Midgard more than Hokuto.
Spoiler
Ryoko Gi/PM Tajimi previously voiced Athena in the Japanese dubs of the God of War franchise. I swear I heard her in the 2018 game during Athena's Hannibal speech.
Oh shit, Grease Lightning has been upgraded to full power with the probability of certain death very high. Be careful, my man. No one wants to make Miitan cry.

So now the topic is Mr. Shinobu and the Lost Bottles.

Yeah, this is alright, though the wham line from Ryuuga is kinda awkward for Father’s Day.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Evolt has become such a boring villain. His actions and motivations never seem to align in a satisfying way. Even if there is a good explanation, the journey to get there doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

sweet Kouta Gentoku, what happened to your original outfit, your current ones make my eyes bleed. No wonder the screams from your driver cued when you showed up.

So Genius can cure people from the nebula gas in lost smash but in Kamen Riders it does nothing. Utsumi can still transform into Mad Rogue Sento, can you fix that? And Grease's upgrade is two Twin Breakers from the dragon jelly, lame. Speaking of which where did that second one come from, did they make it offscreen or something?

Speaking of which Takumi Katsuragi is still separate? I'll starting to think that Sento is having DID if this keeps going. and his father is alive, wonder where that's going to go for the series
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

There was something about this episode that seemed off to me. It was like I was having a fever dream about Build because there were a lot of random things that didn't make sense.

Genius can neutralise Nebula Gas which works on the Prime Minister, but he does it on Mad Rogue and nothing happens. Is this a mistake or is it supposed to imply something else about Utsumi? Genius debut was kind of lame as well. It doesn't seem to do much else other than hit/move faster and its neutralise power and didn't really get to showcase anything other than rehashing RabbitTanks kick.

The Gentoku thing was really strange. I've been okay with pretty much all of Build random humour because it didn't really detract from what was going on, but this was odd. Kazumin running off was stupid and I'm hoping that this death flag is so obvious it won't come to pass. Also, how did Banjou get a new Dragon Jelly? The old one was destroyed and Sento made the Magma Knuckle to compensate and act as a power up, so there shouldn't be any reason to have one.

Finally, I get the feeling Takumis Dad is working with Evolt. Which begs the question why he needed Sento to repair the Evol Driver if Takumis dad could make one from scratch. I get the feeling the last stretch isn't going to hold together very well. A shame.
TaelonZ
7X
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by TaelonZ »

Alright, am I the only one going to take the shot at this low hanging fruit. Fine.

I guess I was the only one who saw Gentoku and 'Cracked Up.'

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here till Tuesday.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

I just saw the episode and don't really remember what happened. It was that uninteresting to me.
The only bit I really enjoyed was the whole Gentoku... situation, I really didn't see it coming.

Regarding the Genius form's negula gas-neutralizing capabillities and apparent inconsistency, is it not posible that Utsumi simply had some nebula gas injected back into him off-screen?
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

TaelonZ wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 pm I guess I was the only one who saw Gentoku and 'Cracked Up.'
A bad pun deserves a worthy groan.

Dragon Jelly was destroyed? I thought Banjou just gave Kazumin his bottle.

>Regarding the Genius form's negula gas-neutralizing capabillities and apparent inconsistency, is it not posible that Utsumi simply had some nebula gas injected back into him off-screen?

If that were the case, why was he surprised when Genius did the same thing to the minister? It just feels like a plot point that they fucked up.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was a disappointing episode. It wasn't terrible, but for an episode that introduces the main character's ultimate form, it fell well short of where it needed to be.

This episode felt like is was written by two people, neither of whom really seemed to know what was going on. The whole thing is just quickly jumping from plot point to plot point without letting each one develop naturally. And there are multiple things introduced that either don't make sense or feel like they were pulled from the writer's hindquarters.

Build Genius Form was also equally disappointing. His first fight lasts for all of 30 seconds and was mostly CGI spectacle. Where's the grand, bombastic fight where the hero gets to kick ass and win the day? The show has done a number of complex, well-choreographed fights over the season thus far, so it's not like Toei isn't capable of it. Heck, Grease's fight was more interesting than Build's.

Also, everything involving Gentoku was absolutely painful. And the problem isn't that the comic relief existed - I think it's fair to cede that with everything else going on it needed it - but those scenes were painfully unfunny.

On the plus side, I did like the Grease focus. He's still the least developed of the trio and needed the screentime. Plus he needed a power boost as he's been the whipping boy of Team Build for the last dozen or so episodes now.
Kurokage X wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pmSpeaking of which Takumi Katsuragi is still separate? I'll starting to think that Sento is having DID if this keeps going. and his father is alive, wonder where that's going to go for the series
Apparently Katsuragi is still alive in Sento's head? So we have a 2 geniuses, 1 brain situation. Sento can't access the former's memories, but he can seemingly communicate with Katsuragi's consciousness. Which is a neat way to keep Katsuragi involved after what happened last episode.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 pm Dragon Jelly was destroyed? I thought Banjou just gave Kazumin his bottle.
It was definitely the Dragon Jelly, which was burnt by Stark and the Magma Bottle came from its remains.

Then again, Genius destroyed Mad Rogues Nebula Steam Gun this episode and he turns up later with another one. And has that god awful brown undersuit as well.
lennyhouston16
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gaim, OOO, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva, W, Go-Busters

Post by lennyhouston16 »

I've really enjoyed Build so far but this episode disappointed me especially for a final form debut episode. But then again, I feel like everyone on this show gets much better debuts than Build. It's like they tried to mix the formatting for Ghost and Ex-Aid's final form debuts. Ghost's was prolonged while Ex-Aid's didn't get a proper solo fight until later on. It's all hype, no payoff.

Also the directing for this episode felt odd to me. I can't quite put my finger on why though.
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

I don't think he knew that Genius could purify the Nebula gas when he fought Mad Rogue and has to do it knowingly for it to have an effect. Either that or the effect is delayed when only one side or the other is used.

I was a little surprised; I was expecting Evolt to turn Sento's mom into a Lost Smash, as sort of a dick move to handle Genius' dangerous powers he remains unaware of, but no it's Tajimi. Like, I completely forgot about her, and she's the only living PM.

It feels a little late to be introducing more potential villains, and that's what Shinobu is coming across as to me if Kamen Rider history could relate.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I think the writers must have seen the Lupin vs Pat Rangers April Fools Subtitled episode and decided that they could do better than that.

A parody of Build would now be a show that made sense and had characters with clear motivations.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

I cannot state how disappointed I am with this episode. I love Build as a whole, but occasionally there's bad episodes, and then there's this. Like many said, I don't know what the writers were doing. It's like everyone has a different version of Build in their head and try to combine them all together.

Genius Form's debut is a major letdown. I remember Hyper Muteki's debut and it was so awesome on so many levels. Ex Aid was losing to Chronos for weeks and then when Muteki debut, he wins big. I expected a good fight with Genius, and I expected him to wipe the floor with Mad Rogue. He won, but in mere seconds with lots of CGI. LAME.

Then there's Kazumin. I can sort of understand him going off on his own - this is something rather personal for him so I get that he wants to handle this himself. Typical hero archtype. But at least give him a proper power up at the end of it. I mean all he gets are a pair of dragon claws... ???? Cross Z has gotten multiple power up forms by now, can't Grease at least get 1?

After that comes a big fat slap in terms of Takumi. Just last episode, my gripe was how he seem to give up his existence to Sento - as though memories equals dual persona (???) and then this episode undone that like "oh hey, Takumi is pretty much still around like a ghost" ??? So now memories can have conversations with each other? This is so dumb I just cannot.

To cement off the bad episode comes Gentoku. Dude totally lost his shit, with daddy gone and nebula gas out of his system but c'mmon the country is at war, world is at brink of destruction and all he cares about is getting Miitan's approval of his fashion sense? WTF Gentoku, WTF?

The only bit I like is PM Tajimi's role as MOTW (though I wish they gave her a new form instead of rehash one of the Fool Trio) and her apologetic moments with Kazumin is very heartfelt too.

A 2/5 for me. And I'm being generous.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”