KR Build 42 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:20 am

☆☆☆☆☆
8%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
54%
☆☆
8%
8%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 42 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - Japan's reunited, does that mean the Sengoku period is over?

Last week's results: 3 / 5 (9 votes)

Another disconnected episode for me. Unlike Build, it always feels like the two things that compose the episode don't mix in a way that make it one.

For instance, they spend the whole episode talking about Takumi's dad, but he only pops in like a couple of times. Also, dad being a Rider is an interesting concept, but when Sento is confronted with that (and his dad) the episode ends, so that didn't do much for me, despite being a big deal.

The other big idea is Touto HQ being destroyed and the country being reunited. This is a MAJOR plot point, but in practice, we don't see any practical difference? Instead of the Riders getting sent out to fight Seito invaders, they're being framed as rebels and still fighting the same dudes.

Which comes to my big criticism of this episode: The lack of plot importance of a lot of Build's fight scenes. We've talked before about how boring fighting the robots and a bunch of guys that can't die except for plot deaths are. It's just super repetitive. Take Utsumi's bazillionith defeat for this series, it doesn't matter. He just gets up and he'll be back again in the next episode. It wouldn't be so bad if there were some huge plot reason for fighting Utsumi or for fighting Evolt. But as it is now, a lot of Build is just a bunch of completely interchangeable skirmishes. You could have taken these fight scenes and spliced them into the war arcs and aside from Banjou's form, there'd be no obvious difference.

The lack of impactful fight scenes is probably why the war arcs wore out their welcome so quickly. A lot of Build has interesting ideas and there's an obvious attempt to make the characters and the things they do interesting. But the failure of the fight scenes is really dragging down the series, which says a lot since toku shows have their plots and fights completely interwoven. If one side is dragging something down, then the whole is dragged down too.

One good thing about the episode, everyone's sporting new hairdos and summer fashion, so the actors look good at least.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 42 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Well this is what you get for sparing Evolt, Genius Physicist. Aside from learning that his emotions can fuel his Hazard level, he's charmed Japan into believing in Mido after a void devours a part of the government that’s well aware of Evolt’s actions. And then deceiving the citizens into believing that the very heroes that have helped them in the past have turned evil and makes use of Mad Rogue to demonize the Riders.

And Sento encounters the wham part.

Ryuuga got back his Dragon Full Bottle back and foreshadowing for the movie.

Eh episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Why the hell was Sento just standing there, looking at the black hole, instead of at least trying to stop Evolt?!?
Really nothing else to say, just another Build episode that didn't tell me anything important, or at least it felt like that.

RIP Gentoku's outfits.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Agree with what Take said. They are really dropping the ball with this late game plot.

At least Gentoku is dressed normally and is behaving normally again I guess? They make no mention of it though.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I don't have a whole lot to say this week. I feel like Takenoko has said what's been on all of our minds. It's not a terrible episode, but it's also not inspiring me to tune in next week. It's just sort of there.
takenoko wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 amAlso, dad being a Rider is an interesting concept, but when Sento is confronted with that (and his dad) the episode ends, so that didn't do much for me, despite being a big deal.
It's clear now that this series is trying to end each week on a cliffhanger. Unfortunately it's not working very well.

The problem is that their cliffhanger formula is to pause the episode at the climax of each episode. Stop it when Daddy Build shows up, stop it when Evolt discovers emotions, stop it when Lady PM is rescued, etc. The fighting itself is (usually) over, but in a normal series where you'd have the resolution and your characters process what just happened, Build pushes all of that into next week. Which greatly diminishes both the impact of the climax and the importance of the resolution. It becomes disconnected from what just happened.
The other big idea is Touto HQ being destroyed and the country being reunited. This is a MAJOR plot point, but in practice, we don't see any practical difference? Instead of the Riders getting sent out to fight Seito invaders, they're being framed as rebels and still fighting the same dudes.
Aren't you paying attention? The deck chairs have clearly been rearranged. :P
CheetahLynx wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:03 pm Why the hell was Sento just standing there, looking at the black hole, instead of at least trying to stop Evolt?!?
Right? It's bad enough when Sento lets Evolt just walk off. But he didn't even try to stop the black hole manipulating mad man this time. Which makes that scene incredibly awkward.
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 pm At least Gentoku is dressed normally and is behaving normally again I guess? They make no mention of it though.
Takenoko correctly noted that everyone is in their summer outfits. I'm starting to wonder if the last two weeks were all just stalling for time; they didn't have any arcs for the character and didn't want to give him a new standard wardrobe when everyone was getting a wardrobe change in two weeks anyhow... (And even if it makes sense, it's still stupid)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Aren't you paying attention? The deck chairs have clearly been rearranged. :P

Devil's in the details!

Also, wacky clothes Gentoku, your stickt might not have always been the best, but I'll defend your attempts to be wacky. It's just so weird and out of left field that it works for me. When the characters aren't being off the wall and weird the series is seriously starving for levity at times.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 amAlso, wacky clothes Gentoku, your stickt might not have always been the best, but I'll defend your attempts to be wacky. It's just so weird and out of left field that it works for me. When the characters aren't being off the wall and weird the series is seriously starving for levity at times.
That's not an unfair point. This series plays things straight for the most part. Unfortunately when it does go off the path, it feels weird, and more often than not the series goes off the path and then does something so absurd that you get whiplash.

Still, there is a need for levity. I just wish (like so many other things with this series) that it was handled better.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

In the end, Build is more boring and nothing special to hype for the ending of this series.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

I've been a staunch defender of Build since the start but the last 3 episodes are just so disappointing. Even at my most optimistic, I can't find much to like about them. Each episode have more exposition to add, but little in plot progression or actual pay off. This late in the race, Build ought to be in overdrive towards the finale but instead Build seems to still be lost in finding ways to wrap everything up.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”