KR Build 47 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
13%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 47 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - And Grease dies with the sun rise

Last week's results: 3.93 / 5 (15 votes)

So two big things this time. Grease dies and Utsumi was a double spy. Problems with both, since it's Build.

I've been thinking about why Utsumi's reveal bothers me. Because in a better show, I can see this as being a great revelation. The problem is, just a bit before the revelation, I was thinking "Man, they sure ruined Utsumi's character, and now he doesn't stand for anything." Now it's "Oh okay, he was pretending to be a bad character this whole time, just kidding." While it's great to see his integrity intact, it's a poor balm for the rest of the time we thought he was just a shallow villain this whole time.

Also he's a cyborg which doesn't go anywhere.

Grease's death had some good parts, but it's sooo problematic for two reasons. One, I'm deathed out. So many people die in this show! Like hundreds of thousands die every few scenes in a black hole. I like Kazumin a lot, but my emotional capacity for feeling sorrow over deaths in this show has grown a nice hardy callous over it. You can't keep returning to an empty well, man!

Two, the whole sequence is waaay too long. Like I said to start, there's some good scenes in here. But it's super drawn out. It's 5 minutes long in a show that's 23 minutes, not to mention that they've been hinting at his death since the last episode and we kind of know he's going to die up to the point where he really starts to die. If your death scene lasts so long that the viewer starts to feel bored while it's going on, then you've lost the thread.

Three idiots and bikaiser twin clones fight sucks since it's dumb repeats. Also, why does Evolt need underlings if he can create Riders out of nothing who are stronger than the usual Riders. Seems like a problematic concept to introduce at this point?

Also, the fact that major characters are starting to get killed off already makes the suspicious potential deus ex machina of combining the worlds fixes everything seem even more likely. I'm not totally sure if Grease's sacrifice even makes total sense, but at least it was a sacrifice. Having all those people die in this series only to flip that around, feels a little cheap, only because the seriousness of this series seems to want the viewer to feel like those deaths meant something or had some stakes.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Build 47 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Death and despair all the way down while Evolt’s enjoying the riders’ struggle.

A glorious end to Grease Lightning. Sorry, Misora, Sento and Ryuuga.

So Utsumi turned out to be a reverse-quisling with a literal revelation of what he really is. Not surprising, but I like that he could also overclock the Evol Driver himself, despite costing his life doing so.

Sawa-san, good on you that you’re tending to the lecher from the very 1st episode.

Well, there’s two more episodes until this show ends. Sento, just do it. Initiate your damn new world creation process now before you psychologically lose your marbles.

Alright episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's a shame that Grease died, but I didn't really feel anything. Like he was a pretty cool character even when his relevance to the story ended, but it didn't do anything for me really. Grease Blizzard was cool though.

Utsumi being a double spy, while a surprise, was also ham-fisted. The cyborg reveal was either an attempt to tie back into the previous episode segments or they wanted to stab him and it be okay because he was a robot. Again, he got to do something kind of cool, but why is Evolt surprised that Mad Rogue starts powering up if he knows he could do it as a robot? At least they tied in the best match special with the shark bike thing.

My main issue with Build is that other than Evol, everybody else turns out to secretly be a good guy. There isn't any catharsis from the Riders beating some really evil character. I was hoping for a Rogue VS Mad Rogue showdown that would be a clash about ideals or something, similar to Build VS Rogue in the second representative battle.
jamebarktoku
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

Post by jamebarktoku »

While this episode really had its issues, I think this is a good farewell to the Grease Monkey. Kazumi was easily my favourite character, and his death, though drawn out, I believe to be one of the best-acted scenes in the entire series, and Misora calling him by his name after he disappeared is what really got me, as it triggered my 'favourite character death ugly cry' that happened with Poppy when I watched her farewell.

Grease Blizzard is really cool (pun intended), my second favourite non-base form from the Build Driver and really blended the elements of the Robot Jelly and Robot Fullbottle brilliantly, and I love that cool blue they used for the suit.

The scene at the end was masterfully done; no sound, just everyone's reactions. That's my favourite kind of death reaction scene, without the overblown BGM that some death scenes seem to have. Thank you Build, for such a wonderfully executed scene.

I wish Utsumi's reveal was done sooner, giving him more of a reason to switch sides as Evolt saved him? (I think, it's not clear, as is common with Build). At least his death means that there is only one true villain left. I hope Evolt dies a painful death. Is that too dark?
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

If the poll was up there it would be a 5 from me. Just for the acting, the cinematography at the end and that 'Kazumin...' moment, I'm willing to ignore the cyborg-double-spy BS and whatnot.

(But seriously, why no poll?)
Last edited by CheetahLynx on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Poll's up, sorry about forgetting it!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That too, was Decades Evolts fault.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I don't really have much to add here that Takenoko hasn't already hit on. Not only did we see Grease's death coming a mile away, but the character just wasn't impactful enough for us to really care about, especially when this show has already killed off so many recurring characters. Now maybe if it were Ryuuga or one of the girls. But Grease (and Gentoku, if it comes to it) are essentially disposable characters.

And nothing about Utsumi makes any damn sense now.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Another attempt for an ending that makes sense. Sento connects to the alternate universes but still gets killed off by Barista Snake. Evolt does his evil laugh and proclaims that with this last bottle he can now destroy the world. But then, from out of nowhere, a flash moves by and Evolt no longer has the bottle. Evolt is shocked to find out that connecting to the alternate universes allowed Kamen Rider Kaito to enter who has stolen his bottle. Then, before Evolt can figure out how to take it back, Decade shows up with Build Cards. Decade then curb stomps Evolt with these rad new cardz and exterminates him for good. Sawa and Misora rejoice until Decade tell them that Decade is the destroyer of worlds and unless they defeat him the earth will vanish. The final episode is the earth's futile attempts to kill the ultimate overpowered Kamen Rider and failing. But then, Zi-O appears and Decade allows Zi-O to kill him since he can only be killed by someone who can assume the curse of being a world destroyer.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

hey a character death I can enjoy thanks to Grease but there's still something off. If Sento wanted to keep him from dying he should have used Genius to lower his hazard level. I mean Utsumi was defeated by genius with that kick and he can still transform just fine so I don't see any excuse to not use it aside from making me want to punch him in the face for somewhat being idiotic on certain choices. Nonetheless rest in peace Grease.

Utsumi being a cyborg came out of left field like they wanted to acknowledge that joke Sento made about him during those intros to the episodes.

But the acting, lack of music or sounds for that last scene is enough to warrent a 4/5 for me. Shame that Build has a way to drag it down
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Kazumi died much like Otoya did: using a power far too strong for his fragile body in a climactic battle, finally vanishing at the side of the person he desired. The difference: Otoya at least managed to be among the ones who defeated King himself in his dying battle.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I still like that Grease Blizzard was still doing Kazumins crazy flipping and leglocking shit, even with that big fuck-off robot claw.
SuperZeo
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: ToQger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by SuperZeo »

I agree that Kazumin's death was spoiled weeks ago. However, I disagree that his death was less impactful. While it is true that people die everyday in this show, we do not have the same connection to those characters like we do with the main cast. Personally, I have felt a good amount of sadness at the passing of each of the main characters throughout the season, and Kazumin's death was no different. He was carrying of the deaths of the three crows on his shoulders for a large portion of the season, and it weighed on him in every episode, in every fight. I could see how their deaths weighed on the character so much, and they were his reason to continue fighting. I will miss such a noble-hearted character.

As for his actual death scene, what nailed it for me was Kaho Takada's performance yet again. She nailed the emotion down perfectly, and what drew me into the scene even more was when she was trying to smile in spite of her sorrow. The level of emotion was incredible, and I rarely see such a genuine performance as hers. I just wanted to point that out. Additionally, Misora didn't show it until now, but she really cared for Kazumin despite him being a fan-struck idiot; which I found that side to be a very humorous and humanizing aspect to his character. I have to say that Misora is very much the heart of Team Build, and she carries the emotional burdens of the team just as much as anyone else, and her performance shows that very well. Overall, while I can see everyone else's points, I would respectfully disagree with them, as I found the performance to be quite emotionally stirring and impactful to me, as the viewer.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”