Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Ultraman Geed

Post by Mxylv »

The trailer is out for the latest Ultra Series installment, Geed! The plot revolves around the son of an evil Ultra (said son's human form is the youngest main Ultraman actor I know of), and the transformation gimmick looks effectively copied from last year's series. Sadly, some recent tropes of the series seem to be returning (the transformation/rise looks like it'll be quite lengthy, and as usual, merchandising and catchphrases are quite strong) and it looks like there'll be another monster comic relief. When I told my sister the premise of the show, she noticed that it sounded like a bad fanfiction. So far, I think I may agree.

Decided to spoiler tag some other notes on the crew because otherwise :
Spoiler
The biggest upside to the series for me so far is that the main writer, Otsuichi, is known for children's mysteries and horror shorts. Another plus is that Kenji Kawai is returning as an Ultraman composer after his previous work on Ultraman Nexus and the 2010 Ultraman Zero movie (which have my two favorite soundtracks of the entire Ultra series), and the bit of Geed's presumed soundtrack in the show's production presentation sounds just as amazing as the rest of his work. That said, the biggest thing that bugs me is the series' main director, Koichi Sakamoto. I know he's a very famous and popular figure in tokusatsu with great fight choreography, but as far as my experience with him goes, a lot of his work seems to rely on action sequences and some general tropes rather than human character development to the point where he doesn't always seem sure what to do when there isn't much action (my issues with him are most evident in the Ginga S movie).

Character-wise everyone looks okay. Not impressed by the villain so far. The supporting characters look way better than Orb's, though. Nice to see a strong female character after the serious letdown I found Naomi to be. Looks like a lot of Zero is going to dwindle into comic relief, and the attack team feels a little limited (plus, there are no uniforms again).

Overall, I don't think enough's changed from Orb. I like to think that the Ultra Series may be slowly but surely trying to build back up to the greatness of their last decade, but if so, they may have to wait a little longer. Any thoughts so far?

(I've decided to sub the trailer on my own, for anyone who'd wanted to see it:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9mC-eWGkM
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
xiiliea
Humongous
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Re: Ultraman Geed

Post by xiiliea »

I haven't watched Ultraman Orb yet, but it doesn't have a real defense team, it seems. I don't see any mechas in the Geed trailer either, so has Tsuburaya really given up on selling planes, and switched to armors and weapons on Ultramen? Filming cockpit views and flying planes might be more expensive and complicated, but that's what made the old series so great.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

There's a defense team in Orb but it's not the main focus. Orb ends up hanging around with a civilian paranormal group.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Looks like Ultraman Geed - Series & Movie has been licensed by Mill Creek Entertainment for release on November 19th, 2019.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
devilaz
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: To Devious the Whole UniVerse

Post by devilaz »

Hi all, any idea where can watch / torrent / donwload this Ultraman Geed at least in 720p or HD format ? Youtube video resolution is too uncleared to watch.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Depending on where you live, it might be freely available on Crunchyroll (https://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-geed) and soon Tokushoutsu (including Tubi and some other obscure platforms). Barring that, it now has a Blu-ray release that may need importing but I've heard several people say is region-free (since the show was licensed as soon as it aired, we didn't sub this one).
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Ultraman”