Lupin VS Pat 01 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 am

☆☆☆☆☆
60%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
4%
☆☆
4%
No votes

Total votes: 45
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Lupin VS Pat 01 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

KyuuRanger finale ratings: 3.15 out of 5 stars (20 votes)

Wiki
Next >

I... was kinda happy with the episode? It didn't try to shove too much into one episode and even saved the mecha for the next one. The characters were fairly well fleshed out for the little time they had on screen and we get to see lots of interactions between everyone, not just Red. Could this possibly be (knock on a very large tree) a decent series? *fingers crossed*

I gotta say, I love the Ganglar's motivation for trying to take over Earth. Simple, yet provides quite a range of possibilities.

Oh, and no irritating catchphrases? Be still my heart...
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 01 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

An inquiry for this entire series is this: Who's the smartass who made the transformation trinkets and left them for other people to use?? Same goes for the that Striker mecha.

I may grab the show's soundtrack for the jazz tracks. They may soothe me before new jazz tracks from Gundam Thunderbolt S03 come out.

So far, it's alright.
Last edited by TypicalStandUser on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Thought it was alright. They were smart to focus on LupinRanger and to make them stylish and actually fun. I still worry that Komura will end up writing flat characters. While I liked the style, flourishes, and speed of the action, I can't help but notice we don't really know much about any of the characters besides the Lupin's have made an oath to be relentless for their goals, while still being strangely loyal in doing so. I shouldn't be hard to write smooth, charismatic phantom thieves. So far, we know yellow is a bit ditzy or slow?

The one thing about the action that did bother me was the excessive slowmo in the intro. (And maybe the spinning later on). I'm glad you're trying new things to keep it exciting, just don't overdo it once you find a thing you like.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

What will make or break this show is whether or not they can have some balance between the two teams. Traditionally, phantom thieves are written to be one step ahead of the bumbling police. It will be very tricky to make both teams compelling.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Just the fact that we have no catchphrase, no annoying Red, in fact, both of them seem to be normal here. That's good!

I'm already interested. This has got to be the first Toku episode I've seen in a long time that didn't feel rush. No mech battle, no selling a bunch of toys and gimmicks off the bat. Just straightforward introduction.

I'm giving this a 5. Just because of all the above. And the Lupin's costumes are cool. A mix of black is always nice.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm pleasantly surprised.

The pacing was very good, helped by the fact they decided to focus on one team for the episode mostly and they didn't try shoehorn in a ranger vs ranger battle or a mecha fight. I'm hoping they do focus on the Pats and they aren't an afterthought, but I do appreciate that having the bulk of attention on the Lupins helped the narration of the episode.

Not pertaining to the episode in particular, but I'm not a big fan on how the changer is used. Sliding smaller versions of the machines onto a gun is kind of uninspired.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

TokuCasual wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm Just the fact that we have no catchphrase, no annoying Red, in fact, both of them seem to be normal here. That's good!
Pat red is a bit annoying so far. He's all uptight without the redeeming qualities so far, but it's just episode 1.

LupinRed does have a catchphrase with the Arigachu, but it shows great restraint compared to recent year's stuff.
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

Out of curiosity does the budget feel a bit toned back for Lupin vs Patro? Like there's not as much CGI in the start as Kyuuranger. In addition it also feels like the sets are a bit smaller this year
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm Thought it was alright. They were smart to focus on LupinRanger and to make them stylish and actually fun. I still worry that Komura will end up writing flat characters.
Just wait until episode 20+, because Zyuohger had a good start and became boring from episode 20+ until the end. The problem of these "new" writers of Sentai is they try to make series excited at the beginning and more and more boring in the end (Ninninger, Zyuohger, Kyuranger).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I wouldn't judge the budget based on how much CGI is used. I mean, they have a scene where we see a bunch of monsters of the weeks all at the same time already. Plus, the LupinRanger choreography is fantastic.

>Just wait until episode 20+, because Zyuohger had a good start and became boring from episode 20+ until the end. The problem of these "new" writers of Sentai is they try to make series excited at the beginning and more and more boring in the end (Ninninger, Zyuohger, Kyuranger).

Hmmm, guess we'll see.
chaossage13
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
Dreamy: Kinji Takigawa
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Persona

Post by chaossage13 »

(Sidenote, longtime lurker here who promised himself he'd start posting and commenting once a new series started. I was going to try to post in an intro thread, but I didn't want to necro something 2 years old so I figured I'd just jump right in. >_> )

I'm a sucker for heist themes and with Persona 5 being out just last year, the visual and audio aesthetics for the Lupin side have me excited. The Patranger side seems alright (obviously they didn't focus on them much this episode) but Patran Ichigou is giving me strong Genpachiro Otta from Kamen Rider Drive vibes and it's bugging me for some reason.

Otherwise, it'll be interesting to see how this series fleshes out. Will they follow Kyuuranger and add extra members to both sides till there's 8 or 9 members? When will the helpful office robot turn into a bike/robo/cannon? What episode can we predict will have the classic "one to one opposite team pair up" so that each side can realize the other one just maybe isn't so bad?

Lastly, good job Patran Ichigou at ignoring the obvious "adieu" from LupinRed when they were in civilian form after just encountering each other the night before.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not quite sure what to make of this episode. The pacing was just about perfect, but at the same time there was so much to introduce - 6 rangers, their allies, and the villains - that outside of the LupinRangers everything else felt like a preview of things to come. And this episode in particular felt like a part 1. So while it has my attention, I'm nowhere near confident that my first impressions will hold up once the show starts moving.

Anyhow, I agree that the LupinRangers were the right place to start. Their laid back attitude and roguish charm makes them the fun side of the family for sure. A small part of me is afraid that they're going to be the true stars of the show and that the PatRangers are going to be foils rather than equals - especially given how uptight PatRed is - but there's plenty of time to get proven wrong. We definitely need more time with both groups though in order to fully understand their dynamics and characterizations.

This is probably an artifact of being the first episode, but PatRed and LupinRed both seem to be turned up in opposite directions. LupinRed being a bit too easy going, and PatRed has a baton stuck up his tailpipe. It creates some obvious contrast between the two characters. But I am worried that it means we're going to be dealing with two extremes all year instead of a single, well balanced character.

As far as the costumes go, I'm not super impressed. The LupinRangers' base suit is nice; as someone else mentioned, the black works well here. However their phantom thieve getups are pretty bad, especially yellow's. There's too much going on there. And the face masks are similarly gaudy. As for the PatRangers, their police outfits are obviously taken from the DekaRanger school of costume design, which looks fine. However their PatRanger outfits - in what I'm assuming is meant to be another enforced contrast from the LupinRangers - are dreadful. The 80s Sentai style with pastel colors on a white base just looks atrocious, and the shoulder pads are the ugly cherry to top it all off. Also, for both teams, the hats-as-facemasks motif is just a little too much on the nose; they look like someone literally pulled their hats down around their faces.

Speaking of contrasts, it was interesting in this episode that the LupinRangers got a stock henshin sequence and roll call, while the PatRangers got a single-stage realtime transformation, followed with a non-stock roll call filmed on location. I'm very interested in seeing whether they keep this up going forward, or if this was a one-time thing. One of my complaints about Sentai is that we haven't had regular, non-stock roll calls for quite some time now, so this would be a welcome change (well, for 50% of the time). On the other hand, they're pretty much recycling the KyuuRanger transformation sequence sans-particles, so it's not very creative. The LupinRanger roll call on the other hand is a bore, but the stock henshin sequence is very flash, and very Gokaiger (I just wish they mixed the CGI and physical elements better).

Meanwhile, the PatRangers' boss is a black guy?!?!?! I have no problem with this, of course. But that's oddly progressive for conservative Toei. Now I'm incredibly curious whether they're going to play this straight, make him the butt of jokes, or somehow rub him off to replace him with a Japanese guy. My cynical side says that one of the latter two will happen, but we shall see. Though maybe if we're lucky, they'll rub off Datas 2.0 (Jim Carter) instead. I can already tell that Jim is going to be the annoying comic relief suited character. And just what kind of a name is Jim Carter, anyhow?

As for Kogure, I'm calling it now: he's up to no good. He's too calm, so Sentai logic says that he must be up to something.

I don't feel like I have a good bead on the villains though. Having a contest to see who can be the most villainous is a bit thin of a plot, but as far as recurring villain plots go it beats the pants off of collecting fear energy and such. But like everything else it's still early here, so I'm waiting to see how the villains develop. Meanwhile I found it extremely interesting that they had so many of what are presumably the MOTW costumes ready inadvance. There must have been half a dozen MOTWs there on top of the mooks and everything else. I had always been under the impression that Toei's monster makers were a bit more just-in-time, so either my preconceptions are wrong or they got an early start here. I'm not sure if I dig the monsters' bolted-on vaults though; much like the rangers' helmets, it's perhaps a bit too on the nose (and too large in general). And I definitely am not digging the mooks. They aren't bad, but they're certainly in the bottom half of mook suit designs. (Oh ToqGer, how I miss you)

What I am digging however is the soundtrack. I'm admittedly a total sucker for jazz, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a nice departure from everything else Sentai has used recently. I just hope they have enough distinct tracks there that it doesn't end up all running together.
takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm The one thing about the action that did bother me was the excessive slowmo in the intro. (And maybe the spinning later on). I'm glad you're trying new things to keep it exciting, just don't overdo it once you find a thing you like.
For Sentai not to grow stale, Toei needs to experiment with the action as much as they do the plot. I expect that the heavy use of non-traditional filming was because it's the first episode, and that like past seasons it won't be so frequently used. But like the first person views, having these long takes done from a moving camera is neat, and I hope we see more of it. Though I wouldn't mind some slightly better color grading; they're using different cameras (GoPro or equivalent, I'm thinking) and the color gamut don't quite match the regular Red cameras.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

So far so good...

Finally, it doesn't have a red that's annoying as f**k that throws the same stupid line for like 90.99% of the entire year (Kyuu & Shuriken lol!) ... though i'm still jealous of the fact that Patren1 has that quirk when he's angry that Patren3 has to feed her, man she's a cutie, i already hate Patren1 cause of that alone :P

Henshin-wise, the thieves has the better one, reminds of the Gokaigers, i like that the thieves have side skirts then it reverts then the cape appears, wish they kept the side skirts but i guess it may get in the way during fight scenes since they also have capes while the cops just have that cg over them then it splats to the ground, that's basically it lol!, the cops didn't have the budget for flair while the thieves have money for that lol!

I'm calling it, Hilltop is Patren Black lol!

Kudo Haruka is now yellow after orange in MoMusu, still close though, hoping for some of her comrades guesting in the show

It's just me, but the thieves side kinda takes stuff from Persona 5 or is it banking on it's popularity, thus the thief theme, the card they left looks a lot like the calling card the game uses or maybe that's just a coincidence or that's pretty much the norm when constructing frankenstein letters out of magazines, the main characters persona from P5 is Arsene Lupin as well, but hey, Lupin is "THE" thief so he's mostly overused, also i played that game for like 300+ hours lol!
chaossage13 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pmLastly, good job Patran Ichigou at ignoring the obvious "adieu" from LupinRed when they were in civilian form after just encountering each other the night before.
I'm thinking this is a case of PatRen1 being Zenigata while LupinRed being Lupin lol!, yeah, PatRen1 is gonna be that bumbling cop that misses catching Lupin every step of the way thus not getting the "adieu" bit in his face
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ryujin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm It's just me, but the thieves side kinda takes stuff from Persona 5 or is it banking on it's popularity, thus the thief theme, the card they left looks a lot like the calling card the game uses or maybe that's just a coincidence or that's pretty much the norm when constructing frankenstein letters out of magazines, the main characters persona from P5 is Arsene Lupin as well, but hey, Lupin is "THE" thief so he's mostly overused, also i played that game for like 300+ hours lol!
Persona 5 stole very liberally from the original Arsène Lupin created in 1905 (horray for public domain!), and the calling card etc. are all elements from the Maurice Leblanc novels. There's a ton of stuff that derives from it, probably most notably the Lupin III anime/manga series.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

^ Well yeah, i'm just saying with the popularity that P5 created (specially for the kids and teens) and still ongoing, i guess it's a good time as any to board the thief hype

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”